Morphs from G3 to G8

Comments

• Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038

Moreover, Daz agreed the basis of that didn't have sample code in it. Again, using th existing CC Attribution file in the script header, with a url for every script sample will cover all bases, and there will be a path from Generation 3 to Genesis 8. It's just a matter of coverage for any changes post review that Daz might feel infringe on the samples.

I don‘t get this. Code examples are not allowed? 

what example code and where... and why surprise

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    gerster said:

Moreover, Daz agreed the basis of that didn't have sample code in it. Again, using th existing CC Attribution file in the script header, with a url for every script sample will cover all bases, and there will be a path from Generation 3 to Genesis 8. It's just a matter of coverage for any changes post review that Daz might feel infringe on the samples.

I don‘t get this. Code examples are not allowed? 

what example code and where... and why surprise

The code samples here http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start may be used subject to the CC3 Open Source with Attribution license.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810

Not much help but Facegen even requires you to create a link to an existing dsf file for its geometry 

one cannot distribute and DAZ geometry in any form

I often wonder about some morphs even just how much vertex information can be derived, I am frankly scared to create anything even clothing as freebies for DAZ figures myself, anything I have done has always been box modeled around the figure making sure to not follow the topology too closely as that’s even forbidden, I really don’t quite know how people can redistribute bodysuits 

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958

Just woke up and got caught up... I can't believe it was taken down already. Hoping it all it gets resolved, Singluar Blues. Like the others have said, I'd like to contribute to the 'Buy me a coffee' fund (or substitute coffee with Ferrarri or anything else that's on your wishlist) :)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    gerster said:
    AllenArt said:

Why did I think this was gonna happen? Oh, right. Daz....lol.

Frankly SB, if I were you, I'd hang it up. Save yourself the grief and frustration. You don't owe anyone anything, especially us. But it was a gallant effort.

Laurie

Have to agree. IMNSHO if DAZ really wanted a product to transfer morphs, it would have been a reality a long time ago. You SB, were like Obi-Wan Kenobii, our "only hope".of this happening

Daz is offering such a tool, out of the box, 

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/action/index/dztransferutilityaction/start

That is to transfer rigging, not morphs. Not even close to the same thing.

Laurie

• Not much help but Facegen even requires you to create a link to an existing dsf file for its geometry 

I often wonder about some morphs even just how much vertex information can be derived, I am frankly scared to create anything even clothing as freebies for DAZ figures myself, anything I have done has always been box modeled around the figure making sure to not follow the topology too closely as that’s even forbidden, I really don’t quite know how people can redistribute bodysuits 

same.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

Not much help but Facegen even requires you to create a link to an existing dsf file for its geometry 

From the EULA:

Three Dimensional Works. DAZ wishes to encourage the expansion of the catalog of Content available to its users. Accordingly, User may access, use, copy, and modify the Content to create one or more derived or additional three-dimensional works provided that:

• any such derived or additional three-dimensional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and
    • upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived or additional three-dimensional works User has created from the Content, if DAZ has determined, in its sole discretion, that (i) such additional or derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) such additional or derived work fails to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store as described above.
  • Hurdy3DHurdy3D Posts: 1,038
    AllenArt said:
    gerster said:
    AllenArt said:

Why did I think this was gonna happen? Oh, right. Daz....lol.

Frankly SB, if I were you, I'd hang it up. Save yourself the grief and frustration. You don't owe anyone anything, especially us. But it was a gallant effort.

Laurie

Have to agree. IMNSHO if DAZ really wanted a product to transfer morphs, it would have been a reality a long time ago. You SB, were like Obi-Wan Kenobii, our "only hope".of this happening

Daz is offering such a tool, out of the box, 

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/action/index/dztransferutilityaction/start

That is to transfer rigging, not morphs. Not even close to the same thing.

Laurie

https://www.deviantart.com/sickleyield/journal/Tutorial-Transferring-Character-Morphs-G1G2G3G8-409437916

• khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

Hi all,

the probleme was solved with divamakup tutorial (i got an "explosion" of a custom G2F Moph).

Praticaly, i just had to specify if it was a head or body morph. 

Sorry for "mis-praticing" laugh !!

still, awesome script indeed !!

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

i really hope thingd get fixed as soon as possible

• Singular BluesSingular Blues Posts: 737
    edited May 2019
    Hope no more. Daz has largely confirmed my early assessment and I have the first handful of clones built. I aim to complete G3 and G8, update the code and overload the attributions (and provide Daz an evidentiary explanation of why I am doing it thus) and we should find out in fair order if that suffices.

When will that happen? As I said way back, holiday. I won't be able to get much work done. I will try to get the response off to Daz, with exhibits of my planned correction today. I won't be waiting on them, but given the odds that the new morph might be crap, or need many small adjustments, I almost certainly won't be ready before they respond.

Again, as I said, there's no reason to assume Daz had evil intent. They clarified in very reasonable time on a holiday weekend. I believe them. The major trouble here is due to my failure to consider that the base clone shape was irrelevant to the process as long as it didn't create distortion. Yes, Daz would have still said attributions, but I could fix that without interruption. Remain positive. Lose a few electrons if necessary. I'll get it done.
    Post edited by Singular Blues on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Hope no more. Daz has largely confirmed my early assessment and I have the first handful of clones built. I aim to complete G3 and G8, update the code and overload the attributions (and provide Daz an evidentiary explanation of why I am doing it thus) and we should find out in fair order if that suffices.

When will that happen? As I said way back, holiday. I won't be able to get much work done. I will try to get the response off to Daz, with exhibits of my planned correction today. I won't be waiting on them, but given the odds that the new morph might be crap, or need many small adjustments, I almost certainly won't be ready before they respond.

Again, as I said, there's no reason to assume Daz had evil intent. They clarified in very reasonable time on a holiday weekend. I believe them. The major trouble here is due to my failure to consider that the base clone shape was irrelevant to the process as long as it didn't create distortion. Yes, Daz would have still said attributions, but I could fix that without interruption. Remain positive. Lose a few electrons if necessary. I'll get it done.

A product like this, free or not, that give users the ability to bring older character shapes forward, (or the newest shapes backward to their favorite genesis generation,) can't help but stimulate sales for Daz. So it makes sense to me Daz would want this script to pass any and all legal requirements. IMO, it is in the best interest of Daz, PAs and Users for the script to be around for a good long time.

That said, I'm still kicking myself for not downloading the script immediately!
    laugh

• evacynevacyn Posts: 958
    L'Adair said:

A product like this, free or not, that give users the ability to bring older character shapes forward, (or the newest shapes backward to their favorite genesis generation,) can't help but stimulate sales for Daz. So it makes sense to me Daz would want this script to pass any and all legal requirements. IMO, it is in the best interest of Daz, PAs and Users for the script to be around for a good long time.

laugh

Well said! And I'm kicking myself too :)
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,338

Well, as I did download the script, I decided to try it, but I keep hitting a complete stall at "Starting Morphs transfer", with log entries to this effect:

2019-05-27 20:54:18.359 Temporary files copied
    Starting morphs transfer
    2019-05-27 20:58:15.638 WARNING: Script Error: Line 2000
    2019-05-27 20:58:15.638 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'oSrcClone' [null] is not an object.
    2019-05-27 20:58:15.638 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@C:/Program Data/Daz Studio/Content/GenNext/Scripts/Architect/GenNext Morph Transfer/GenNext.dsa:2000
    2019-05-27 20:58:15.935 Error in script execution: C:/Program Data/Daz Studio/Content/GenNext/Scripts/Architect/GenNext Morph Transfer/GenNext.dsa

I've now tried transferring both ways between G3 and G8 with several different versions of parameters and I'm getting the same result in all cases.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

It's been rather hit and miss for me, but SB did say that it wasn't quite there yet (hence the reason it was on GIT hub...lol). I had trouble bringing Callie 6 to G8F. It could have easily been something I was doing wrong, but it would get stuck at a certain point in the process (always while saving ERC links). David 5 however, came over to G8M without a hitch. So...I guess it just depends.

Laurie

• I'm not sure why SB doesn't team up with someone like, say, RiverSoft Art. Surely, with some PA leverage this thing could finally come to fruition in an official and legal way?

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    It would be legal if Daz simply allowed it. Nobody is forcing them here, and no, they would not be at any risk of losing their mark. The idea that you must take action in every single instance is pure myth. It is possible to lose a mark, but it requires a consistent lack of action.
  • It would be legal if Daz simply allowed it. Nobody is forcing them here, and no, they would not be at any risk of losing their mark. The idea that you must take action in every single instance is pure myth. It is possible to lose a mark, but it requires a consistent lack of action.

If GenX was infringing on DAZ’s marks, it wouldn’t have been on the store. There are ways to do it, just SB did it in a way were DAZ wasn’t sure that it’s truly legal and told SB just to change it up a bit. That’s it, nothing serious bad (like a lawsuit or anything), just the method of conversion was just a little to far into the area where it could be a problem later down the road.

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2019
    L'Adair said:

laugh

i do feel that was the "big deal here aside the legal issues, something "free outside of they own control here, is not something they would love to see without a big talk about it, since almost everything here must have a "price"(even when you get some freebies here and there), have "real free products and a product like that with so big power would be even more of a big deal), but it's my own opnion whatever.

Another question this product only transfer the "regular morphs" like characters morphs(victoria, michael, keiko, mika and bla bla bla)?? or some regular body shapes like basic body morphs?? or you could use it to export more complext morphs like this ones:

https://www.daz3d.com/minotaur-6-hd-for-genesis-2-male-s

https://www.daz3d.com/reptilian-6-hd-for-genesis-2-male-s

or morphs like this one:

https://www.daz3d.com/skinchangers-female

https://www.daz3d.com/skinchangers

i means any type of morphs or only the most "common and basic ones like characters and some body shape morphs???

if it can export any morph then wow it could be really one of the best pluggings ever.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

The utility SB has wrote would at the worse increase catalogue sales of old merchandise. Once the problem is fixed by SB with IP so that DAZ doesn't lose their IP, it'll help DAZ 3D sales. 

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited May 2019

Here is Darwin Genesis on G8M. Only problem : the feet but I believe it should be easy to fix in a modeler. And strange enough to me the lashes need to have the Darwin morph taken out!

Here a quick render of Darwin on G8M base skin. The original had a lamh preset and a M4 UV skin.

19_G8M with Genesis Darwin-denoised.png
    640 x 800 - 283K
    Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • @Matt_Castle, there's a bug that was probably introduced while consolidating the various variables that the script uses. It causes the script to attempt to morph properties that aren't morphs, and that causes the script to error and halt. I'll get to it, it's just it has become a rather minor issue. Let's all hold on testing things until the immediate problems are resolved, eh?

@Blood-PawWerewolf, that's not true. More accurately, I have no clue if GenX(2) used Daz shapes (The IP), but if it did it could be sold in the Daz Store. That's the key point to the EULA. You can only sell things that include Daz shapes at Daz. It's not all that different from the rule that you can't link to products that aren't in the Daz store.

@Finlaena, I'm literally homeless because I'm afraid of people. Also, the issue here hasn't been one of figuring out how to DazScript for some time.

@Ellessarr, I have no idea. This being on account of the fact that no one has returned a test report on anyof those figures. It does work on extreme shapes, 
    Some shapes: In which G8F and G1 battle to determine who wore Tee-Gra best.
    but others have resulted in artifacts of a non-minor class. Minotaur, I'm uncertain off, because I heard some place that the legs are geografts on at least one itteration of the shape. Obviously, the script can't transfer a geograft. So things with goegrafted parts, like horns, wings tenacles, etc, it will get the shape, but the grafts won't work with the target figure.

• As I am wont to do when faced with a tedious project, I might have accidentally figured out an even better way to preserve details and avoid distortions. Because of this, I pretty much dumped all the work I'd been doing and started over. I also got distracted by an interesting idea for dForce, but I'm done with that for now (First tests worked, but I have some experience with what happens with first tests.

Just letting you know. I'm alive and there is no new information, so nothing's changed as far as compliance plans and re-posting. I'm just behind schedule. Once I get the first two clones built, I will test them using the current script, modify them with the new idea and test that. Then I'll know which way I'm going. Hopefully, I'll have the first round of testing done tomorrow. I might be able to fit it all in, but I'm not betting on it. I should have the whole thing buttoned up before Sunday, though. 

• TomCatOliverTomCatOliver Posts: 195
    edited May 2019

I was wondering if there's any trick to get around the "correcting ERC links" hang with some figures. I'd tried a few before, and they all transferred without a hitch, but I was playing around with it today and had the problem with Gia 6 > G8, and Stephanie 6 > G8.

Looking back through the last few pages, it seems there's no way of transferring characters that trigger this bug (for now at least)?

Citizen X for G1 transferred quite nicely to G8 though.

image.png
    683 x 1024 - 671K
    Post edited by TomCatOliver on
  • necroscensionnecroscension Posts: 106
    edited May 2019

Were M5 based morphs tested on the previous GitHub iteration? Every M5 morph I've attempted looks like it's missing something, and dialing in the separate M5 shape almost gets it there but still not there. 

Attached file is SAV Alpha Male M5, Conversion to G8M, and Conversion to G8M with M5 added. Non-Daz, I know.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 6.20.32 PM.png
    1906 x 1738 - 1M
    Post edited by necroscension on
  • khorneV2khorneV2 Posts: 146

Were M5 based morphs tested on the previous GitHub iteration? Every M5 morph I've attempted looks like it's missing something, and dialing in the separate M5 shape almost gets it there but still not there. 

Attached file is SAV Alpha Male M5, Conversion to G8M, and Conversion to G8M with M5 added. Non-Daz, I know.

did you add/convert the M5 Base SHapes ?

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited May 2019

I suspect the CNTRL morphs aren't activating. As khorneV2 said you will probably need to transfer the base M5 Genesis morphs, if you haven't already, as when you dial in Michael 5 on Genesis it activates a lot of those.

A lot of the G3 to G8, and vice versa, work because the base morph packages are very similar in content and naming.

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • I find when I run into the ERC hang-up issue is when I'm trying to convert more than one morph at a time. When I went back and only select one morph the problem morph transferred without issue.

• The good news is, my crazy idea works. It's just fiddly. I'm going to have to look at clone accuracy very closely to figure out what's going on. (The tests were a series of successes until the full up run, which seems to have gotten everything right but the fingernails.)

Since accuracy isn't necessary to test the legal issues, I'll be shipping an exemplar off to Daz to look at or ignore, and moving on.

I will get to the ERC thing when I'm over tis hurdle. Unfortunately, it's looking like a lot of fiddly fiddling. So, my plan is to get as far as working clones for G8 and G3, then re-release. They represent the biggest demand, and te fact is, it's harder to get the fiddly bits for G2 and G1. On the upside, G2F and G2M have the exxact same topology, so I only have to do that clone once. After I get the fiddly bits nailed down for G8, G3 should come fairly quickly (since their clones are basically the same shapes as G8's). I am actually on track to have this much finished before I got offline Sunday. I doubt I'll get to G1 and G2, but it's a slim possiblity.

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

The good news is, my crazy idea works. It's just fiddly. I'm going to have to look at clone accuracy very closely to figure out what's going on. (The tests were a series of successes until the full up run, which seems to have gotten everything right but the fingernails.)

Since accuracy isn't necessary to test the legal issues, I'll be shipping an exemplar off to Daz to look at or ignore, and moving on.

I will get to the ERC thing when I'm over tis hurdle. Unfortunately, it's looking like a lot of fiddly fiddling. So, my plan is to get as far as working clones for G8 and G3, then re-release. They represent the biggest demand, and te fact is, it's harder to get the fiddly bits for G2 and G1. On the upside, G2F and G2M have the exxact same topology, so I only have to do that clone once. After I get the fiddly bits nailed down for G8, G3 should come fairly quickly (since their clones are basically the same shapes as G8's). I am actually on track to have this much finished before I got offline Sunday. I doubt I'll get to G1 and G2, but it's a slim possiblity.

Please, don't give up on Genesis1/2 I would really love to use old figures! surprise