Carrara 9 feature request

Comments

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Here my wish list for carrara 9.

1.speed up carraras particle system, it should be a lot quicker.

2. The displacement shader needs improving in resolution and speed.

3.Some form of fracture abilty for animation for an object breaking up into 3d pieces.

4. a native gpu renderer like blenders cycles.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

FEATURE REQUEST: Tabbed scenes

Currently when you need to switch between multiple open scenes you have to go to the WINDOWS MENU and find in the list of ALL your windows and renders (and storyboards even if you never use the storyboard screen) the one labeled "3DView of..."

This list is chronological. If you have many test renders open, this becomes somewhat ridiculous. I do not know of a faster way to switch between scenes. This also effects WHICH scene loads in the RENDER ROOM but there are no equivalent controls in the render room at all for switching between scenes... Well, the WINDOWS MENU is still there but it sends you back to the Assembly Room....

I suggest TABBED SCENES that would show when more than one scene is open. It could fit inline with the mostly empty bar that shows the name of the current open 3DView

Screen_Shot_2013-10-23_at_9.37_.18_AM_.jpg
    580 x 200 - 105K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

FEATURE REQUEST: Tabbed scenes

Currently when you need to switch between multiple open scenes you have to go to the WINDOWS MENU and find in the list of ALL your windows and renders (and storyboards even if you never use the storyboard screen) the one labeled "3DView of..."

This list is chronological. If you have many test renders open, this becomes somewhat ridiculous. I do not know of a faster way to switch between scenes. This also effects WHICH scene loads in the RENDER ROOM but there are no equivalent controls in the render room at all for switching between scenes... Well, the WINDOWS MENU is still there but it sends you back to the Assembly Room....

I suggest TABBED SCENES that would show when more than one scene is open. It could fit inline with the mostly empty bar that shows the name of the current open 3DView

Nice idea, Holly!

• SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited October 2013

Like others have said,

What I would like to have is:

Tab - Like Molly said.

Render engine that use both CPU and GPU. (don't remember who)

Update tools for modeling, like bevel and the likes.

Post edited by Spaceland on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    edited December 1969

Territan said:
    All right, a thread bump with a new feature request:

Transfer Utility for Carrara. If we're going to have Genesis figure support in Carrara, I'd like a way in Carrara (and Carrara alone, none of this jumping to and from Studio crap) to make clothing to fit that figure. Or those figures. Whatever the correct pluralization of a mesh that contains multitudes is.

Absolutely!
    ...and DUF export to go along with that! :)
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

… and you Dart, which work for them, you do not have some infos on their projects relating to Carrara?

edited December 1969

… and you Dart, which work for them, you do not have some infos on their projects relating to Carrara?
    I wish I worked at DAZ 3D! That would be all too freaking dream-like!

Nah... I am a published artist. Being a PA for DAZ is certainly dream-like enough. Great bunch to work with. But, no... I know nothing.

Lucky though, I am fortunate enough that, while I love seeing progress and new stuff, I am loving Carrara for what it already is. I was looking for something with much less... and found Carrara, which has much more!

I would love to see many of the improvements mentioned. I say that I would love to gain Morph Loader, Transfer Utilities, etc., DUF export...
    But when it comes down to it, opening up and using DS Pro, or other apps I might need doesn't bother me. I do know that DAZ is improving Carrara as we speak - but that's not a fact that someone told me - I juust know this because that's what Carrara developers do - they work on Carrara. And I know that DAZ 3D has Carrara developers. Again... no facts... nobody told me. I just know, somehow.

I know... obnoxious, right? My poor parents and brother as I was growing up all those years ago. And being a drummer as well made me even worse! ;)

edited October 2013

It is already encouraging of knowing that developers work on Carrara.
    Thank you!

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

And perhaps also, they do not dare to promise things which they will not be able to carry out, they are not politicians…

edited December 1969

And perhaps also, they do not dare to promise things which they will not be able to carry out, they are not politicians…
    Right, you are!
    They are real people doing genius things. I'm glad that you can see that - many people do not understand when I get defensive toward them. Although I may not know these people personally (though, one day I plan to visit them and throw them a big party), I do know that they truly are real people, and I prefer them to be treated as such.

Back on the subject, however, I am seeing news in the PC Members only area that brings about a request:
    I wish to have HD Morph capabilities in Carrara. Either in an 8.5 update or in C9 would be sweet! I know that I can create them using Carrara, but to be able to load them... ahhh... that would be so freaking cool!

DAZ 3D is truly impressing me with their intuition towards knocking down the doors that lead to the future of 3D figure use. This is all too evident in Genesis and its predecessor - Genesis 2. But having a short look at DAZ Studio Pro and Carrara 8.5 Pro, I can see this company growing in very positive ways. I intend to continue to ride this wave ;)

• SpacelandSpaceland Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

@Dartanbeck

Even if you knew them personally, make no difference to me. They are peoples programming during there day shift like any one working, having the boss say or no because his boss give some mandate or constraint.

I can only wish what could be in a version, but in the end you can't please anyone they have to just what they can do and how hard or easy to make it.

Anyone that usually blast peoples, I can only say, do better, create your own 3d package and will talk then.

• FetitoFetito Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

A better browser. In Carrara 8.5 there is not even a search function! This is a no-go if you use a lot of DAZ content.

• mikomodamikomoda Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

... They are real people doing genius things...

They are unable to fix the geocrafted bug (for example) that is well known for more than 2 years!

Oh yes - this is really genius!!!!
    For sure!

LOL

edited December 1969

Back on topic.

OPENGL ANIMATED PREVIEW instead of STORYBOARD ROOM

A feature I have requested for several versions is to turn the storyboard room into an OpenGL animation buffer.... The analogy is in After Effects where you can quickly render a range of frames at a small scale (25%) or reduced FPS (only render every 5 frames) to check the pacing of animation (After Effects calls it RAM PREVIEW and it is probably the most important tool in the program).... The Storyboard Room already makes sequential OpenGL images of the 3Dview, but arrenges them across the screen like a storyboard. My request would be that Carrara COPY those sequential images into a RAM buffer so you can play the frames in realtime like a video player inside a player window with standard video player controls (would be great if the audio tracks can also be written into this buffer).

It would be helpful to be able to export this buffer (Save Preview as..., Write Preview to Disc...) so you can share your pre-vis and very complex animated timing, either as wireframes, untextured, or as good as the OpenGL 3Dview allows.... User controls similar to the Storyboard Room to select size, number of frames, OpenGL quality settings, etc.

Personally, I do not see much value in adding an OpenGL renderer to the render room, because I would always want to render out animations in better quality, and Carrara does not have great video playback controls in the render room (exporting a draft render and viewing in an outside program: meh).... But being able to create a RAM BUFFER PREVIEW of your timeline *quickly* and *in-program* would be a HUGE boon to animating.

edited December 1969

Back on topic.

Killer! Or, perhaps, in addition to SBR?
    I have yet to find a use for it - mainly because I haven't tried it yet. But I know a few people that love the SBR.
    Or if this could be a setting for within the story board room... either way... I love this idea.

On that note, I would love it if we could get OpenGL playback within the Assembly room more real time.

edited December 1969

Back on topic. OPENGL ANIMATED PREVIEW instead of STORYBOARD ROOM[/quote On that note, I would love it if we could get OpenGL playback within the Assembly room more real time.

Yeah, but that just doesn't seem to work.... Having a big hoohaw graphics processor makes a big difference, but I don't think Carrara will ever run close to realtime in the assembly room.... Not once things start to matter, like lipsync and general smooth human movements.... Even softbody cloth is really hard to get an idea what it is really going to look like until I render a few seconds and look at video....

Starting to work more with game engine realtime stuff I see how quickly assets can pile up and bog down.... What would render well under near realtime conditions wouldn't really look "proper" in a slow render.... I guess there is LOD swapping, like you suggested, but overall the two don't seem to be very compatible philosophies.... iClone does it well, trying to give you near realtime previews, but also able to render out smoother frame-by-frame video....

My idea (I think) uses assets that Carrara already creates, so while I don't really know what I'm talking about it seems like an approach that could conceivably be done within C's current capability (but I'm certainly NOT knocking getting faster OpenGL, that would of course be awesome!!)

• RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited January 2014

How cool would it be to have the strengths and features of Hexagon imbedded into Carrara?
    I really think that it would give the modeler in Carrara that little extra something.
    I am sure that the Hexagon folks would be elated to have Hexagon (in one form or another) jump on board as it appears that Carrara has a future.

Post edited by Realtime on
    edited December 1969

Back on topic.

On that note, I would love it if we could get OpenGL playback within the Assembly room more real time.

Yeah, but that just doesn't seem to work.... Having a big hoohaw graphics processor makes a big difference, but I don't think Carrara will ever run close to realtime in the assembly room.... Not once things start to matter, like lipsync and general smooth human movements.... Yeah... these, right there are what I meant. lipsync just seems tough without that real-time feedback.

edited December 1969

Realtime said:
    How cool would it be to have the strengths and features of Hexagon imbedded into Carrara?
    I really think that it would give the modeler in Carrara that little extra something.
    I am sure that the Hexagon folks would be elated to have Hexagon (in one form or another) jump on board as it appears that Carrara has a future.

Yes. I think that, what they need for that, is for someone to put together a nice list of features that Hexagon has and Carrara doesn't - because I know that they already feel that Carrara has what Hexagon has - in one way or another.
    But I agree with you. Bringing in some of what people love most about Hexagon into Carrara's modeler would be a plus - especially for folks who want an updated Hex. Either that or update Hexagon(?)

I feel pretty lucky to have never gotten used to Hexagon when I picked up polygonal modeling again. Just started right back up in Carrara (used to used 3ds max & G-max) and just found all the tools I wanted. Not to say I wouldn't welcome some new additions! :)

edited December 1969

Realtime said:

The polygonal modeller of Carrara never crashes , if is to import some extra-options of hexagon, OK, but not all Hexagon, please !

• Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, I agree would be nice to have a few helpful updates to the carrrara vertex modeler. There certainly are a lot of things that HEX has that would be wonderful in Carrara.
    Actually, I think if I was DAZ , I would leverage inside Carrara some toolsets that would lend themselves to the creation of content. Since its their focus anyhow. And create a subset of Carrara users (buyers) to content creators for them. This way everyone wins.
    I think this c9 is such a wild card though.......its announced timing a year ago seemed ridiculously unreleastic considering they were dragging years with 8.5--- so I really have no idea what to expect or wish for at this point. Seems like we should be wishing for things in c10 given developement times.

rich

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2014

Realtime said:

The polygonal modeller of Carrara never crashes , if is to import some extra-options of hexagon, OK, but not all Hexagon, please !

Hexagon crashes on me ALL THE TIME even with enhanced memory now. I cannot get it to do anything with a Genesis figure, even the basic male or female. I'd love the vertex tweaking tools. Especially for faces and body tone. Moving, smoothing, pushing mesh around some. Weight painting in animation just does not have enough muscle or control.

There are gad-zillions of morph packages out there from DAZ you can BUY (which may be the point, but Carrara ain't cheap!) but they do not all behave properly across the different models! Or you can get them in your list, but some morph slider/products conflict with each other if they are morphing the same area, eg the face. I want to make my own facial contours!

Sorry if not describing that right, it has been months since I was able to use Hex at all! Perhaps one of the experts can explain better for me and correct any things I am getting wrong that are my fault.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, tweaking of vertices with a decent selection of tools on a modelled figure would be SO useful! There must be a tipping point where you can do tweaking with without destroying all your basic morphs, like moving the head, opening the eyes and mouth, or moving limbs and torso about.

If I am talking rubbish...please let me know. Sorry for the rant, just took my back meds and they haven't kicked in yet!

xx :) Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Curious, do people actually use the Storyboard room in Carrara? I honestly have never had a use for it...admittedly, I don't do animations and it seems geared toward that.

As I recall, the Storyboard room is mentioned in passing at best in PhilW's excellent training.

Have I missed something or should DAZ seriously evaluate the worth of keeping this part of the code base alive?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Curious, do people actually use the Storyboard room in Carrara? I honestly have never had a use for it...admittedly, I don't do animations and it seems geared toward that.

As I recall, the Storyboard room is mentioned in passing at best in PhilW's excellent training.

Have I missed something or should DAZ seriously evaluate the worth of keeping this part of the code base alive?

Yes, it is definitely geared to doing animations, and I tend to do more stills than animations, but even when working on animations, I never actually use it - so good question!

edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:

If I am talking rubbish...please let me know. Sorry for the rant, just took my back meds and they haven't kicked in yet!

xx :) SileneNot at all...
    But have you ever tried modeling in Carrara? It rocks for content creation, making morphs, etc.,
    Also, on a different topic, I thiunk that the developers look atg certain things that are offered in Hexagon that Hexagon users find missing in Carrara, but as far as the software developers see it, Carrara has the ability now to do most of those things, perhaps all, and more, but you have to do it in a different way. Like where Hex can drop in a helix, Carrara can do that and a whole lot more using formulas.

To clarify my above statement, where I'm agreeing that it would be great to get more of that in Carrara, I certainly would never agree to have the VM replaced with Hexagon... Never! I have grown too fond of the modeler in Carrara. I am one whom prefers it over Hex.

You'll never truly see its uses until you decide to animate. The storyboard room is amazing in that it can give you real time updates on changes made anywhere within the time shown on the screen, which is one second, I believe. This can be incredibly useful for walk designing artists. Granted, I don't use it either, yet. But take it away and you have the potential to lose everyone that does. I doubt that it hurts anything leaving it in there, but I'm numb when it comes to code and such.

Let's just say that you have a one second portion of an animation showing in the Storyboard room and there is a movement in the neck and head that only has a single change within that time. You can select the tweaners and try different settings, and the room will show how it changes along each frame. Quite often, when animating, a bezier tweaner may cause a major, unexpected fly out between the changes. If you're in the Assemble Room skipping from one keyframe to the next, you'll never see it, because the blow out occurs between the keys, not on them. I really think that the original intentions of this room came from the advice of an real expert animator in the field, whom has always wished for such a view in the software.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

You'll never truly see its uses until you decide to animate. The storyboard room is amazing in that it can give you real time updates on changes made anywhere...

I'm trying to get excited by this but I also know that this reply could just be "Dartanbeck after snorting a few lines of Carrara and freebasing DAZ-Juice!" ;-P

I'll stick with stills for the time being. Now to get my rear-end in gear and try out my new idea for a scene...

edited December 1969

I deserve that, Gars Man, my friend!
    I do tend to defend Carrara in all ways possible. But I really mean it when I say that it is for animators only. It actually converts the scene to an animation upon opening it in the storyboard room, if it isn't already. Just something that was mentioned in one of my training courses - not sure which. So many of my projects lately are of asset creation, so I haven't been animating. I'll take a serious look into the SBR when I get back into that ;)

edited December 1969

I deserve that, Gars Man, my friend!

Just busting your chops buddy! You know I'm head-over-heels in a bro-mance with you! :lol:

But I really mean it when I say that it is for animators only. It actually converts the scene to an animation upon opening it in the storyboard room, if it isn't already. Just something that was mentioned in one of my training courses - not sure which. So many of my projects lately are of asset creation, so I haven't been animating. I'll take a serious look into the SBR when I get back into that ;)

Okay...cool-ish kinda thing then if you do animation work. Not entirely without its uses. Duly noted.

edited December 1969

I would love to see an integrated pipeline with ChronoSculpt. If this already works as to be expected through the use of Fenric's MDD Format for Carrara, then just keep that plugin working for version 9.

edited December 1969

...and a pipeline for Optitex !