Skin Builder 8 Merchant Resource for Genesis 8 Female (Commercial)

Comments

• lamoid_5f20d3e469lamoid_5f20d3e469 Posts: 283
    edited May 2019

I cannot find anywhere, the order of events that need to happen to successfully create and deploy a skin using SB8. (That may exist somewhare, but I haven't found it.)  Here is what I have found via experimentation:

Important: Most steps here require that you hit an "Apply" button to actually implement the addition or adjustment. Then wait until a pop-up appears ttelling you it is complete. Then you must dismiss the pop-pup by h.tting the enter key on your keyboard clicking on its "OK" button with your mouse. Throughout the list below I'll refer to this as WfP.

1) Open Daz Studio 4.10 (DS).

2) Load the character that is to have the skin. Be sure it is selected in the scene panel.

3) Open Skin Builder 8(SB8)  in DS.

4) In the SB8 "Settings" tab enter a path to a temp directory.

5) Select the "Utilities" tab and then the "Save Skin and Material Presets" Tab

6) Enter names for the "Final Textures Directory," the "Materials Presets Directory," and a name for the character in the corresponding boxes. (Nothing to apply here, what you type in sticks.)

7) Click on the "Skin" tab then the "Base" tab.

8) Set the sliders as desired. (Usually I change one or more of the three texture sliders to get color I want.)

9) Click on "Build Skin." Wait a minute or so. WfP.

19) Click on the "Nipple Adj" tab and make any adjustments there that you want. Then hit the "Apply Color Adjustment" button. WfP.

11) Click on the "Color Blend" tab to blend with a solid color if you want. WfP. (I've never used this -- left the top slider on 0. Did not hit the apply button). 

12) Click on the "Overlays" Tab. 

13) Here successively click on any of the 9 tabs that inidcate an attribute that you want to add to the skin. For each one you use, after adjusting or selecting hit the apply button. WfP.

14) Do the same as in 13 with "Makeup," "Brows," "Eyes," "Lashes," "Nails," and  "Gens," Apply each one individually and WfP.  If you don't want to adjust them, do nothing.

15) When done with all that, select the "Utilities" tab and then the "Save Skin and Material Presets" Tab. 

16) Click on each of the "Create Material Preset" tabs for the presets you want to save. WfP.

17) Done!

Notes: The main sliders under "Makeup," "Brows," "Eyes," and  "Lashes," give you a number of sytles or shapes to choose from. If you make a mistake with one of them , hit undo afterward and redo it.  I am unsure what happens if you don't undo first. Does it replace the feature or does it add to the feature? I am not sure of the effects of brow height. There is a numerical slider that defaults to 0 but ranges between -50 and 50. There is no explanation that I can find.  It would be nice to know what the numbers imply without having to build the skin, save it, apply it, and then render the figure. Too bad the Devs didn't add a one or two sentence explanation.

This work-flow / order-of-events was not at all obvious to me and required trial and error to figure out. And it still could be incorrect. Hard to know. Its not listed anywhere that I can find. The fact that you have hit a button labelled "Build Skin" before you actually make the entire skin, was confusing to me as is the fact that nothing at all is saved unless you go to a subpanel of the utilites tab. IMHO a button labeld "Build Skin" should be the last thing you hit. Just Saying.

Post edited by lamoid_5f20d3e469 on
  • vaaernvaaern Posts: 64

So, I've got a problem with removing the temp files. I saved the full material preset and the anatomical one. But if I remove the temp files and load in the character, it still tells me there are files missing. My English isn't that great, so maybe I misunderstand, but I thought that when you pressed Full material, it would just save it all. Now I've got 12 gigs of temp files stored and I'm afraid to remove them (I do have a backup). I'm probably doing something wrong here. But maybe there is a solution?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039

Did you define a path for the materials to be saved? Different to the default location? Because if it is the same as the assigned temp folder and you deleted the temp folder contents that means you deleted your saved textures.

I put the first folder you can choose on my Google Drive folder, and the other is in the genesis 8 female folder, I made a subfolder. The temp files are in the original folder, I didn't change that. Tried saving all of the skins again and then deleting the temp files, but reloading the figure then would give the same error "cannot locate the files". Maybe It's because I saved the textures in the Google Drive folder? If so what are the suggested folders to save both in?

• SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

I just picked this up a couple days ago and had a chance to test it yesterday. But I'm running into a similar problem with the files not saving on the character.

Once the skins are created, do you have to manually reapply those textures to each character? I was able to get everything (except eyelashes?) to load properly once I manually directed the textures to somewhere other than the tempoary folder, but I was expecting there to be a simpler way to load these presets to a character.

Is there a recommended folder path that will make everything easy to access?

I suspect I'm missing a step, but I'm not sure what.

edited May 2019
    vaaern said:

I put the first folder you can choose on my Google Drive folder, and the other is in the genesis 8 female folder, I made a subfolder. The temp files are in the original folder, I didn't change that. Tried saving all of the skins again and then deleting the temp files, but reloading the figure then would give the same error "cannot locate the files". Maybe It's because I saved the textures in the Google Drive folder? If so what are the suggested folders to save both in?

Ok when you create a material preset via the script, you have to load that preset on the figure again before saving a scene. Now it will swap out the temp textures with the preset ones. If you just save a material preset and save scene without loading your preset back on, the materials assigned on the figure are still temp textures. If those temp textures have been deleted, it will complain looking for them. Let me know if that solves your problem.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    SBibb said:

I just picked this up a couple days ago and had a chance to test it yesterday. But I'm running into a similar problem with the files not saving on the character.

Once the skins are created, do you have to manually reapply those textures to each character? I was able to get everything (except eyelashes?) to load properly once I manually directed the textures to somewhere other than the tempoary folder, but I was expecting there to be a simpler way to load these presets to a character.

Is there a recommended folder path that will make everything easy to access?

I suspect I'm missing a step, but I'm not sure what.

Once you have built your skin, you would save it via the Utilities/Save Skin and Materials tab and create a material preset. Once that is done click on the preset (based on where you saved it) and the textures will now load the presets version and use the texture maps based on where you told it to save those. The best place to save textures would be the same content path the figure accesses textures from all other content.

EG if my main content directory is E:\DAZ4 Library\Runtime\textures\ I would save it there to something like E:\DAZ4 Library\Runtime\textures\Your Name\CharacterX.

As long as the Content Folder the textures have been saved to is linked to studio it will load without any issues. I cannot for example point to my USB drive and save textures to that. Yes it will save there, but if the USB drive is not linked to studio as a content directory, it will not load.

edited May 2019
    Zev0 said:
    vaaern said:

Ok when you create a material preset via the script, you have to load that preset on the figure again before saving a scene. Now it will swap out the temp textures with the preset ones. If you just save a material preset and save scene without loading your preset back on, the materials assigned on the figure are still temp textures. If those temp textures have been deleted, it will complain looking for them. Let me know if that solves your problem.

Hey thanks! I'll try that. I've got another little question. I've tried making a base skin with skinbuilder and I've saved that, can I put other details on it later and just save it again with another name? Will it take the skintexture that's already applied without applying it again? (I should really learn to write down parameter I use :p ).

edit: Thanks! This works exactly like you said. I'll keep the temp files anyways in a seperate folder, but for now I'm happy!

Post edited by vaaern on
    edited May 2019

"can I put other details on it later and just save it again with another name? Will it take the skintexture that's already applied without applying it again?"

Yes. You can load your saved skin just like any other skin set and modify it and resave.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Hello;

I certainly missed something but ...

Eyebrows and pupils do not form properly. it is multiplying. I can not create new eyebrows or pupils

How to do ? Thank you

edited May 2019

Hi. I need a bit more info than that. Can I see an example of what you mean?

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • Ok here a screenshot for eyebrows in green for well see. They don't create new eyebrow but add it over existing. How to remove older ?

Thank you for this speed answer in sunday !  :-))

https://ibb.co/zXY6YK2

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,932

Skin builder won’t remove painted on brows from your original texture, you need to remove them first if there’s no browless version.

You can do it yourself in an image editor or use this tool: https://www.daz3d.com/brow-remover-for-daz-studio

• Ok I'm sorry 

Thank you

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 236

I have a licensing question regarding use of skins created with Skin Builder 8 on a Genesis 8 Male character. I understand that G8M is not officially, directly supported, but I have seen posts suggesting that skins made for G8F can be used on G8M. I have not tried this and don't know how well it works, but, if it does, would we be allowed by the license to develop and sell a Genesis 8 Male character with a skin implemented in this way?

Tim

No. You may not sell for any male characters on either G3M or G8M.

• TimotheusTimotheus Posts: 236
    Zev0 said:

No. You may not sell for any male characters on either G3M or G8M.

As I thought, but I wanted to be absolutely certain. Thanks much for the quick answer.

Tim

• SpookieLilOneSpookieLilOne Posts: 186

Where do I find the merchant user guidelines?

• SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

When you launch the Skin Builder script, it should have a "View MR Agreement" under the "Welcome to Skin Builder 8" image.

Also, Zev0, just wanted to say thanks for clarifying my earlier questions about saving the files and how to find them again. It was that answer and an answer to someone else's question that helped me figure it out. Need to practice it a bit more to get it working smoothly, but I think I have an idea of how it should be done now. :-)

• SpookieLilOneSpookieLilOne Posts: 186

Ha found it! Thank you...

SBibb said:

When you launch the Skin Builder script, it should have a "View MR Agreement" under the "Welcome to Skin Builder 8" image.

Also, Zev0, just wanted to say thanks for clarifying my earlier questions about saving the files and how to find them again. It was that answer and an answer to someone else's question that helped me figure it out. Need to practice it a bit more to get it working smoothly, but I think I have an idea of how it should be done now. :-)

NP. Glad you got it working.yes

• Is there an option within the script to load an existing skin I bought from the store as a base? If so, I can't find the option.

edited May 2019

Hi. All you have to do is open the script after you have applied an existing skin. There is no need for a script option to do that if you wish to use an external skin as a base.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • no noseno nose Posts: 297

Is there any way to make the window smaller? The bottom area is unreachable and I can't move the window up enough to reach it.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    no nose said:

Is there any way to make the window smaller? The bottom area is unreachable and I can't move the window up enough to reach it.

Or make it scrollable?  I had similar issues with another plugin but there was a way to scroll to the bottom.  I can use an external monitor but that is not always an option since they tend not to be portable.

• CupcakeCupcake Posts: 42

I too would really appreciate if there is any way to either resize the script window or have a way to scroll down to the bottom. I can only view it just so far due to my laptop screen size.

• Hi.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. but i cannot find the answer.

How can i apply the gen map..it is always greyed out, even if i start completely new.

Help would be great

• Hi.

Sorry for double posting...i know the doc but it is not possible:

• tibbztibbz Posts: 0

I am new to DAZ3D and am having an issue with Skin Builder 8 removing eyebrows after altering skin color and subsequently not allowing me to re-attach any eyebrows.  Has anyone else run into this issue???

• RE:  PM about seams in render.  Arrows are not intended to insult - I'm sure you know where seams are but I don't so I marked them to be more easily found.

Jordan Seams.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 141K