Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

@Mystarra  , just downloaded your g8 presets from r#$ndo

thanks so much!!!

now playing with gen8 baby daz stuff -

daz should give you a commission!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i never did figure out why the female's morphs miss the toenail bed on the 3 toes, g8 dude is fine

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Product likely does work, I just can't figure out how to do it:

https://www.daz3d.com/red-fox-by-am

and

https://www.daz3d.com/fennec-for-foxes-by-am

The fox has both ds and poser versions. I've tried playing with both all afternoon. Tried converting to blended and saving as scene, scene preset, and character. No luck.

My guess is I'm missing something obvious. I'd appreciate any help. Who can resist those fennec cuties? smiley

Fennec for Foxes by AM in Animals and Creatures, Animals,  3D Models by Daz 3D

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    Cbird said:

Product likely does work, I just can't figure out how to do it:

https://www.daz3d.com/red-fox-by-am

and

https://www.daz3d.com/fennec-for-foxes-by-am

The fox has both ds and poser versions. I've tried playing with both all afternoon. Tried converting to blended and saving as scene, scene preset, and character. No luck.

My guess is I'm missing something obvious. I'd appreciate any help. Who can resist those fennec cuties? smiley

Fennec for Foxes by AM in Animals and Creatures, Animals,  3D Models by Daz 3D

If you mean the morphs, no many of AM’s animals will not work in Carrara, he knows the issue but has not bothered to fix it for us, the duf format works better than the Poser one which AFAIK does not work at all, there are ways to fix it such as baking morphs on the timeline in DAZ studio and saving and loading a scene subset, also limits need to be off, they are an odd hybrid of triax and legacy rigging from what I can ascertain with morphs that use controllers.

Cbird said:

If you mean the morphs, no many of AM’s animals will not work in Carrara, he knows the issue but has not bothered to fix it for us, the duf format works better than the Poser one which AFAIK does not work at all, there are ways to fix it such as baking morphs on the timeline in DAZ studio and saving and loading a scene subset, also limits need to be off, they are an odd hybrid of triax and legacy rigging from what I can ascertain with morphs that use controllers.

Well, shoot! I appreciate the info Wendy. So disappointing, but at least I hadn't missed something easy and obvious.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106

https://www.daz3d.com/bf109-fighter

Convert to blended weight to get the flaps, wheels etc to rotate.

https://www.daz3d.com/dakotaraptor

Convert each of the feathers to blended weight to get them to work.

Now, do you mean that the dials to operate these things work, or do you mean we can do this manually? Curious, because I have recently purchased several DUF things who's dials don't work, but I can do what they do manually. Would be cool if the dials worked - but not necessary. 

Mystarra said:

this looks fabulous  https://www.daz3d.com/hydro-locks

well if it has uvwraps we haz a plug in now smiley

and who needs brushes when we haz fluidos

heart TheAntFarm!!!

Cbird said:
    Cbird said:

Well, shoot! I appreciate the info Wendy. So disappointing, but at least I hadn't missed something easy and obvious.

Damn. I was hoping for good news too. Fenic has always been one of my Favorite animals since I saw one as a child!

Hmmm... if you have a lot of time on your hands, try this:

• Select model
    • Edit > Fenric > Unlock Figure (if you have that)
    • with 'Model' selected Animation > Remove Skeleton
    • Drag 'Model' out of the group
    • Delete the rest (old group with rig)
    • Build a new bone structure using Carrara bones

It would entail a lot of work, the bulk of which depending on how much movement is needed

Cbird said:
    Cbird said:

Damn. I was hoping for good news too. Fenic has always been one of my Favorite animals since I saw one as a child!

Hmmm... if you have a lot of time on your hands, try this:

• Select model
    • Edit > Fenric > Unlock Figure (if you have that)
    • with 'Model' selected Animation > Remove Skeleton
    • Drag 'Model' out of the group
    • Delete the rest (old group with rig)
    • Build a new bone structure using Carrara bones

It would entail a lot of work, the bulk of which depending on how much movement is needed

Hi Dart,

Good thought. I was pondering something like this, but it's the weight mapping I feel all thumbs at. (terrible sentence, lol)

I'm pondering a fennec morph for the Hivewire cat. The cat works pretty well in Carrara. 

Both are a ton of work for the limited use I have in mind. :)

Are you saying the rigging is not working either?

That is odd as the AM fox the rigging works even if all the morphs don’t 

I don’t own the fennec addon to test

Also have you tried dialing  it turning of limits?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited May 2019

RE: AM fox.  Not sure what the issue is  I loaded the version from my location where DUF files usually are (so assuming duf version).  It loads without an error.  The limbs, neck, and head bend so I assume the rigging is OK.  The morphs appear to work.  Here is the mouth open morph.

Is there something specific I can check for you?

EDIT:  I don't own the fennec add-on.  Sorry, re-read the above posts.  If that is the issue, I can't test it. 

aa01 fox load default.JPG
    1591 x 789 - 167K
    aa02 fox rigging works.JPG
    1475 x 826 - 153K
    aa03 fox mouth morph works.JPG
    1282 x 727 - 125K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited May 2019

Yes the mouth open does work but not all the morph sliders available do 

there are different types of morphs some are sort of pose morphs and not all work on many of his animals 

again as Diomede said on the fox

I don’t have the fennec addon either 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Thank you, Wendy and Diomede, you are both further than I got. I'm getting a dsf red fox not found message. I think I'll delete it all again. Download fresh, and try again. Looks like user has messed up, lol!

edited May 2019

i have the add on. it works.

are you loading the fox standard? as in not the lamh version

you could load the red fox and manually dial the morph.  

figure is triax, doesnt need converting.

just needs some rara furr

fox.png
    650 x 394 - 277K
    morph.JPG
    1233 x 563 - 123K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    Mystarra said:

i have the add on. it works.

are you loading the fox standard? as in not the lamh version

you could load the red fox and manually dial the morph.  

figure is triax, doesnt need converting.

just needs some rara furr

Oooooo, looks good. I was loading standard. I've messed up installation, I expect. But not sure how. If I can get him to work, I will happily share fur when I'm done.

from the zip file , can drag and drop the files under content folder into your ds lib.

or start a new library and add folder to your carrara tray

i recently had the dreaded dsf not found message, tuned out to be a hdd problem. 4tn drive and partitions. worked out in the end.

couple other common dsf woes causes,
    not choosing the correct root when adding ds content lib to carrara,
    or accidentally adding the poser dson folder as ds content.

no worries, it'll work out

Mystarra said:

from the zip file , can drag and drop the files under content folder into your ds lib.

i recently had the dreaded dsf not found message, tuned out to be a hdd problem. 4tn drive and partitions. worked out in the end.

Thank you for the tips. My runtimes look like ten kittens have been playing with yarn, but convincing myself to tidy them up is a lot of work!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited May 2019

lol

I purchased Blank Boi nine years ago in 2010 and only yesterday just figured out how to change his feet shape in Carrara ....

derrrrrr...... the penny finally dropped cool  laugh

Post edited by Stezza on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

As I said don’t let DIM install it

manually download the files and copy paste

running the bat file to create deltas if you install new morphs will break it again too

running the bat file to create deltas if you install new morphs will break it again too

Good to know. I use DIM and my V4 works quite well.

Cbird said:
    Mystarra said:

Thank you for the tips. My runtimes look like ten kittens have been playing with yarn, but convincing myself to tidy them up is a lot of work!

When I went to try redoing my runtimes, I made a backup copy of all of them first, then I used DIM to create all of my runtimes. It's great.

For one, if I decide to change loctaion of an item, I can use DIM to uninstall it, then it shows up in the download list again, now I just install it again to the new runtime I want it to be in. But this method only works for Daz items. Luckily for me I only really had Daz and Rendo, and then stuff that was given to me I already have backups of prior to installation.

You probably already know how to do this stuff, but here's my article on creating custom runtimes using DIM:

Daz Install Manager - Installing Custom Poser Runtimes
    Basic walkthrough of designing your own custom runtime structure

the only thing that would make me to consider using DIM if the downloads would name the zips exactly as the product name, including spaces and no IM numbers. and d/l the promo images as jpg or png.  screw webp

Good to know. I use DIM and my V4 works quite well.

Cbird said:
    Mystarra said:

When I went to try redoing my runtimes, I made a backup copy of all of them first, then I used DIM to create all of my runtimes. It's great.

For one, if I decide to change loctaion of an item, I can use DIM to uninstall it, then it shows up in the download list again, now I just install it again to the new runtime I want it to be in. But this method only works for Daz items. Luckily for me I only really had Daz and Rendo, and then stuff that was given to me I already have backups of prior to installation.

You probably already know how to do this stuff, but here's my article on creating custom runtimes using DIM:

Daz Install Manager - Installing Custom Poser Runtimes
    Basic walkthrough of designing your own custom runtime structure

Thank you, Dart. Help is always good!

DIM and I have a love-hate thing going on. I carefully set up directories, pointing DIM to them, only to have DIM insist on putting somethings in MyDAZlibrary (or whatever it calls it) instead. Okay, I could live with another runtime, just added in Carrara. Then one day it changed DAZ in the name to Daz, and poof, another runtime. After that it turned into a Fantasia-like  magic episode with new things popping up until now I've got the kittens with yarn problem. Fortunately, I'm buying a new computer shortly, so it will be the perfect chance to start over (or, at least, make new mistakes).

Well, we do have to remember to set the install address in DIM to put things in places other than My Daz3d Library, but when we do, it does go exactly there - to the address we tell it to. The part that I love is that, if I make a mistake and install something where it doesn't belong, I can just use DIM to quickly uninstall it and then install it to the address I wanted it to go.

I love having a 'clean' way to completely remove or move an entire product. And DIM does this perfectly every time. I've done a lot of testing with it when I built my Carrara machine, and again when I got this laptop.

Trust me, if I tell DIM that I want "Product X" to go to my "This" runtime, it will install it directly to "This" runtime, and none of that install will go to My Daz3d Library.

At the same time, if a product has both PS and DS versions of installatons in the Downloads tab, I put a check in every product_DS, then right-click and choose "Hide > All Selected", so that I only install the PS versions to the runtime I want them to go.

On the other hand, products that are DUF only (they're not labeled as such in DIM, so I always check in the store via the Info link in DIM) I always install directly to My Daz3d Library via the top "Recommended" choice of install locations.

===============================

Another thing I love about DIM is that, since I use it for ALL of my Daz3d library, I have a beautiful, sortable index of everything I have installed. So if I need to find a texture folder for a particular product, for one small example, I just right-click it in the Installed folder, and choose "Show Files Installed" (or however that's worded). Clicking on a file in that list will then open that texture folder for me. Another example are ReadMe's, which are now online. I can just find the product in my Installed folder and click the info link - bam... I'm at the store page. If I want to know what else I bought when I bought Product X, I simply sort by Order number. 

I can sort by things that I bought in this last month right from the drop-down. Edit one of the numbers in the code that now appears and I can change that to two or three months or whatever. I can sort by Install date or by Product Release date, alphabetical order... I love how I can sort my gear.

I also love how I can choose to delete install files after install or not. I can set it to download everything but not install - so I can set what goes where later, after everything's downloaded.

Oh... and did I mention FAST? DIM is really freaking FAST!

edited May 2019

to delete a product delete the "Data/pa name/prouduct name" subfolder and the "Runtime/Textures/Pan ame/product name" subfolder, or cut and paste into a different ccontent lib

discovered the hard way  some of the legacy old pc products don't use a subfolder format, it dumps it all into the root of data folder. turned out to be quite a cleanup maximum effort.

edited May 2019

eyeing this in today's sales  https://www.daz3d.com/the-lost-world

hoping is not much fuss to setup in rara?

• I purchased Carrara about 3 years ago: I played around with it and lost intrest itin it fast.

I purchased Carrara about 3 years ago: I played around with it and lost intrest itin it fast.

So you thought you would take the time out to tell us you do not work in Carrara angry

we           don’t          care

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

I purchased Carrara about 3 years ago: I played around with it and lost intrest itin it fast.

have you tried turning yourself off and back on again?  laugh