Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

Heads up! A new DS Public Beta is out & I'm excited because it's been months since the last update. It is version 4.11.0.335 (was 4.11.0.236)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/265581/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-11-0-335-updated#latest

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

Heads up! A new DS Public Beta is out & I'm excited because it's been months since the last update. It is version 4.11.0.335 (was 4.11.0.236)

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/265581/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-11-0-335-updated#latest

I think that's been available for a bit now.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Yep, and I've been using about a month, now. And I've had no problems, so far.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited May 2019

Here is another H&C (IH Kang) product. This one is H&C dForce Office Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s). The blouse comes with a dForce Modifier Weight Map that prevents the sleeve wrinkles from being dForced away. This has pros and cons. The original pose I used had her arms crossed with the hands on that puffy wrinkled area of the shirt. Since that area did not get affected by dForce, the hands did not push down those wrinkles like they would have in reality. I got unrealistic poke through instead. So, I modified the pose to move the hands lower. With this pose, it looks good. I think this is a pretty realistic office outfit, although the extreme high heels (not visible in this render) may be a little tough to work in all day. One thing that disappointed me is that the cuffs of the blouse are not a separate material zone; I wanted to use differenc shader/surface settings when I tried applying other shaders to the blouse. [Edit for clatification: The Tassel Jewelry is an Esha product, not part of the Office Outfit.] The Tassel Jewelry has a lot of morph options. It can be a struggle to get all those parts posed realistically, but at least the options are there if you are willing to spend some time working at it.

Gallery link with all the products listed.

Office Catnap

Post edited by barbult on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    barbult said:

Here is another H&C (IH Kang) product. This one is H&C dForce Office Outfit for Genesis 8 Female(s). The blouse comes with a dForce Modifier Weight Map that prevents the sleeve wrinkles from being dForced away. This has pros and cons. The original pose I used had her arms crossed with the hands on that puffy wrinkled area of the shirt. Since that area did not get affected by dForce, the hands did not push down those wrinkles like they would have in reality. I got unrealistic poke through instead. So, I modified the pose to move the hands lower. With this pose, it looks good. I think this is a pretty realistic office outfit, although the extreme high heels (not visible in this render) may be a little tough to work in all day. One thing that disappointed me is that the cuffs of the blouse are not a separate material zone; I wanted to use differenc shader/surface settings when I tried applying other shaders to the blouse.The Tassel Jewelry has a lot of morph options. It can be a struggle to get all those parts posed realistically, but at least the options are there if you are willing to spend some time working at it.

Gallery link with all the products listed.

Office Catnap

Love it!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Hey, Daz Steve mentioned in this post that the Sanjay HD will be PULLED after two weeks, it will not be in the store. 

@barbult   Another lovely render!  :)  I like that bracelet too.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,645

@barbult Do you use a timeline for your simulations? I have a hard time getting sims to work, but I can't figure out the stupid timeline either.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

@barbult Do you use a timeline for your simulations? I have a hard time getting sims to work, but I can't figure out the stupid timeline either.

Yes, I almost always use the timeline. I use the keyMate plugin timeline. I find it easier than the Daz Studio Timeline.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,645
    barbult said:

Yes, I almost always use the timeline. I use the keyMate plugin timeline. I find it easier than the Daz Studio Timeline.

Ok, thanks. I'll check that out

Novica said:

Hey, Daz Steve mentioned in this post that the Sanjay HD will be PULLED after two weeks, it will not be in the store. 

@barbult   Another lovely render!  :)  I like that bracelet too.

Thank you for the heads-up!!!!

I'm not seeing a price chart for Filter Forge 8.0 Pro,  what's the lowest price it's been? Is 99 a good price?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    Novica said:

I'm not seeing a price chart for Filter Forge 8.0 Pro,  what's the lowest price it's been? Is 99 a good price?

It's been down to $59.97

Novica said:

$79 is normal pricing. If you don't see it at least that cheap, use a different browser. Sometimes it's even cheaper, I think. It's always "on sale" for at least 80% off.

tip: type Filter Forge Pro $79 in google and even though it takes you to the SAME /buy page, it shows the one day only left and gives you the 79.00 price. The 59.97 doesn't work though. :)  @firewarden  Thanks for the $79 tip!

Novica said:

tip: type Filter Forge Pro $79 in google and even though it takes you to the SAME /buy page, it shows the one day only left and gives you the 79.00 price. The 59.97 doesn't work though. :)  @firewarden  Thanks for the $79 tip!

You're welcome. :)

I just sent some PMs, not regarding this store. Check to see if you got one. If not, PM me (within the next hour and a half though) 

edited May 2019

Not sure how to fix this- in DIM, my Ready To Download is empty. I have items in the other two columns, but none of my products are showing up. I went to Product Library and typed in PostgreSQL and it's just spinning.  I'm trying to get to Content Package Assist to install it on my new Titan laptop, but can't do it without DIM. GRRRR!   Suggestions on where to find the PostgreSQL on my computer as the Product Library page on that is spinning? 

Edit: I got the PostgreSQL in the Product Library FINALLY. Downloaded it and reinstalled, and it said it uninstalled the one which was already on there. Still no products in the Ready To Download column. I've shut my computer off, etc. 

Post edited by Novica on

Well, I've researched the CMS (Content Management Service) and don't really want to change anything without asking first- I am in Studio and in Content Directory Manager the CMS Cluster Directory is the default (C/Users/UserName/AppData/Roaming one and my content (Daz>Content, Data, Docs) is on E>Daz. That's what the DIM is pointing to for installation. Do I change the Cluster Directory to E>Daz? 

I'm headed to bed so won't be back online for awhile. Not ignoring you :) 

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718

Ready to Download is not dependent on the CMS, it shows the files in your account that are not in Ready to Install or Installed (or which hae updates). If the ready to Download tab is empty check you are logged in to the right account, try checking Show Hidden in case everything was hidden somehow, and check the Download Filters are set sensibly (if you install via DIM you want Connect Available checked, otherwise it will show only product that can't be installed via Connect).

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Well, I've researched the CMS (Content Management Service) and don't really want to change anything without asking first- I am in Studio and in Content Directory Manager the CMS Cluster Directory is the default (C/Users/UserName/AppData/Roaming one and my content (Daz>Content, Data, Docs) is on E>Daz. That's what the DIM is pointing to for installation. Do I change the Cluster Directory to E>Daz? 

I'm headed to bed so won't be back online for awhile. Not ignoring you :) 

My content is on my D-Drive, but my CMS Cluster Directory is the default. That's true for both machines, and they work just fine.

edited May 2019

@ladair   @richardhaseltine   Thanks guys- figured out what was wrong. I had to get on the tech support with the computer seller (can't say enough about HIDevolution as a seller for Titans)  and spent six hours off and on with them. My Google Chrome got corrupted, and after a fresh install and doing all the updates, my DIM came back and I eliminated the network connection error that had started happening. With both things going on, I figured it must be something on my computer.  :) 

The tech support guy went through my computer by remote assist, and removed all kinds of things to make my computer run smoother and faster. That was so nice of him!  We were eliminating possibilities, and here's one thing to consider- my big take away, so to speak-  If you have programs you aren't using, and things seem to be fine- any UPDATES those programs do may break another program. So if you aren't using it, get it uninstalled!

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

My usual problem is updates not out & out breaking other programs but nearly breaking themselves and then these 'slowdowns' are called enhancements. Unity's enhancements, especially to it's Asset Store SW integrated into it's Unity Editor, are really, no other way to say it, not thought out and poorly designed. In fact, there has been no redesign in the nearly 10 years they've had that asset store, simply a shoehorning of the old design into new SW framework the old design is not suited to.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    L'Adair said:

The Harpwood Trail - Mallard Pond, which requires The Harpwood Trail for Daz Studio

This is a very resource-intensive set. The water uses refraction; The leaves use translucency; And there are tens of thousands of instances. The set is from Howie Farkes and he uses Ultrascatter to place the instances.

I ran into one problem: the grass clumps are low resolution and those in the foreground did not look good. To solve the problem, I used the Geometry Editor and created a rectangle Selection Set of polys in the view of the camera. I then ran Ultrascatter and limited it to the Selection Set. I was worried it would change the look of the scene, but I didn't change any other settings in Ultrascatter, and I can't tell the difference. I didn't make changes to any of the other instances, but if it's too resource intensive for you, I believe you could cut down on the instances by half or more by creating a Selection Set on the ground, and then running Ultrascatter for each instances group, limiting the scatter to the Selection Set.

(I added a grass prop from Hemlock Folly to the foreground, applied SubD and upped the level to 2, to get the smooth, long, arching grass blades.)

I didn't make any changes to the materials. I tried several HDRIs until I found a lighting effect I liked. This is the most realistic outdoor environment I've rendered, and it was super easy to use. On the other hand, with my GTX 1080, I let this image render for 25 hours to get "only" 5000 samples, ( about a third of a typical render for me.)

Family, by L'Adair

The original render is 4381px x 2000px. You can visit the gallery page here and see the image at 2191px by 1000px, but if you're registered at PFDLives, you can see the original size image in The Big Picture Thread here.

Sweet render, and a good tip regarding selection sets. yes

With that length of time on the render, I'm wondering if you didn't fall back into CPU mode? Those are the kinds of times I'd get in the days before I had an Nvidia GPU...

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

Just did a test of the latest weekly freebie Open Air Cafe, the promos look pretty bad to me DOF all over the place which makes everything unsharp, but it actually looks pretty good without.

The front wall (which I would have called the back wall) doesn't look good though if you go close, the branches are painted on the wall and it looks like they've just put some glue on the wall and then thrown some handfulls of leaves on it. But otherwise all looks OK.

It seems to be a night scene as all the lights are turned on and it looks fine with the included light only. I added a character to see how it would look with that light - the whole thing looked a bit too reddish to me so I changed the White Point to 1.00 1.00 0.77 which I think looks a little better.

I stopped the render after 4½ minutes and did a post NVidia denoise, looks quite good to me despite I didn't use albedo and normal maps when denoising. I've attached both the original and the denoised version.

open_air_cafe_front_wall.png
    1377 x 921 - 2M
    open_air_cafe.png
    1860 x 921 - 4M
    open_air_cafe_denoised_nvidia.png
    1860 x 921 - 3M
    Taoz said:

Just did a test of the latest weekly freebie Open Air Cafe, the promos look pretty bad to me DOF all over the place which makes everything unsharp, but it actually looks pretty good without.

The front wall (which I would have called the back wall) doesn't look good though if you go close, the branches are painted on the wall and it looks like they've just put some glue on the wall and then thrown some handfulls of leaves on it. But otherwise all looks OK.

I stopped the render after 4½ minutes and did a post NVidia denoise, looks quite good to me despite I didn't use albedo and normal maps when denoising. I've attached both the original and the denoised version.

Those limbs and leaves would have been better left out- I see what you mean. 

What is NVidia denoise please?  And thanks for posting!

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,014

In case you missed it, a new 4.11 beta was released today and it brings shiny new toys in the hair department: dForce Hair (not just "dForce for clothes applied to hair", actual new dForce features for hair) as well as a strand-based hair system!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    Novica said:
    Taoz said:

Those limbs and leaves would have been better left out- I see what you mean. 

What is NVidia denoise please?  And thanks for posting!

DS 4.11 has NVidia denoising, which can reduce render time. Haven't really tested the DS version myself as there also is a standalone version which I prefer. There is also an Intel version which doesn't require a NVidia card, and which many think is also better than the NVidia version. There is a DragNDrop version that supports both here, there is also a link to the forum thread about the denoisers at the bottom of the page:

https://taosoft.dk/software/freeware/dnden/

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited May 2019
    Leana said:

In case you missed it, a new 4.11 beta was released today and it brings shiny new toys in the hair department: dForce Hair (not just "dForce for clothes applied to hair", actual new dForce features for hair) as well as a strand-based hair system!

Just a heads up, though. You'll need to run Update and Merge Menus, and if you have saved any Custom Actions to Scripts or Favorites, (or created one for dForce like RGcincy details in his dForce thread,) those will be wiped out.

I detail how to save your work in that thread, if you copy the Menu.dsx file first.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited January 2020

Content Package Assist Tutorial

Okay, for making products compatible to install via DIM,  I can't say enough about Content Package Assist  (CPA FROM HERE ON)  It's SO easy to use, too!  It's only for Windows PC, not Mac though.  It is not for scripts or actions, just your typical props, people, scenes, etc.  It does NOT change your original ZIP file. 

Want to use it?  Here's how I do it. Also, on the ReadMe page,  Doctor Jellybean has a PDF explaining the product.  I'm going to take you through step by step in a different manner (not necessarily better, just different LOL)  This looks like a lot, but it's NOT. I am babystepping you through it. 

10 steps to set up Content Package Assist

1. Make a main folder which is the name of the store. (STORE A)   Under that, make a CPACK DO, CPACK DONE, CPACK ALL DONE sub folders.  Put exclamation marks for the first two so they stay at the top. This is what it looks like:

Store A  (main folder)        
           !CPACK DO  
           !CPACK DONE
           CPACK ALL DONE

2. Make a folder for each product.  Use the order date.  Put the zips in there. 

Let's talk about an easy way to get the zips into the folders.  First, don't bother extracting from the zip. Leave it as a zip. 
    If the other store has a download page, I minimize the Explorer file page and the other store, so when I click download and the files show up at the bottom of that page, I simply drag them over to the folder.  I also drag the product thumbnail over. 

Then put each folder in !CPACK DO

Store A  (main folder)
                   !CPACK DO   (sub folder)
                        Jan 12 2020   (sub folder)
                        Jan 14 2020   (sub folder)
                        Jan 29 2020   (sub folder)

3. Install Content Package Assist- it must be done through DIM. Just type it in DIM in the search bar and it will come up. Install. Open it up.

4.  In DIM, double check your Download setting
    Click on the gear in the upper right corner, then go to Downloads tab. Where it says Package Archive is the folder you send things to for downloading. You're going to need that for CPA so you can tell it how to put the package in DIM. 

5. Now in Content Package Assist (CPA) go to Settings and put that file path in Daz IM Download. You're telling CPA where to put the finished DIM package, so of course you want to use the file path from 4.  It's really neat to see these show up in the Downloads column in DIM! 

6. While in Settings in CPA,  you'll notice "Build"   This is where your package goes when you make it and keep a copy. You really, really don't want to have to change this every time you make a package.   The file I use is !CPack Done  If you're doing a lot of packages, it sure makes it easy to see which ones you've gotten done. 

TIP: I leave them there until I do a Category in Daz Studio in Content Library.  It's like a babysitting folder for me.  Once I get it in a Category in the Studio, I move it to the CPACK ALL DONE.

I put the ! in front of the folders so they go this way alphabetically and are in the order I need them to be. Do NOT get the !CPACK DONE confused with your DIM download folder. These are sitting in !CPACK DONE and do NOT leave when you install your products. You MANUALLY move them to the CPACK ALL DONE once you have them installed or installed and categorized. This is simply a "holding" folder for you to know what you have yet to install and /or work on.  I use the !CPACK DONE to open the products' hierarchies and easily see where to find them in the studio. :)  Then I create the Category for it.
    Store A  (main folder)
            !CPACK DO   (sub folder)      This makes it so easy to grab the files to use in Content Package Assist.
                  Jan 12 2020   (sub folder)

!CPACK DONE
                   Jan 6 2020   (sub folder)  Because it's in DONE I know the product has a package made and is waiting in DIM. NOT INSTALLED.
             CPACK ALL DONE   Because it's in ALL DONE I know the product IS INSTALLED, in Content Library in Categories. Nothing more to do. You can then                                                               make folders 2018, 2019, 2020 etc and put the respective sub folders in each one. Nice and tidy!
                         Dec 28  2019  (sub folder)
                         Jan 2  2020 (sub folder)

7.  Still in the CPA Settings: I have that same folder for Packages. !CPACK DONE   (You can read the ReadMe and see if you want something different.)

8. Still in the CPA Settings: For Daz IM Manager, I went to the bottom left corner of my computer and left clicked on the Windows icon for the menu, scrolled down to Daz3D in the list, found Daz Install Manager, right clicked, went to More, then File Location. That will tell you where yours is at. Mine is in C:/ Program Files/ Daz 3D / Daz3DIM1

9. The rest of those Defaults on the Setting page:
    I put REN for the Source Prefix if it's Renderosity
    For Compatibility Tags I choose the Daz Studio 4.5+, General, Install Manager, Private Build, Public Build,  Windows 64 bit.
    Those settings never hold for me for Batch Maker on the first page. (Source Prefix, Compatibility Tags, etc)  I have to do them on the main page, over and over again.   They're fine for "New" when doing single zip files  (Clicking "New" is for single zip files. Batch Maker is multiple zips, combining into one package.) 

10. Close Settings in CPA and go back to the main page. You're set up!  

Example: Let's make a package!

1. Let's make a package which only has one zip.  Click New in CPA (Upper Left Corner)  You will be in the Details tab and  the first thing you do is Create a Source Prefix (STORA since using Store A for example)

2. For Package SKU-ID   I use the date of the ORDER. For the example of January 12, 2020 it's 01122020  Always use a 0 with the 1-9 numbers (like 01 for January, 02 for February, etc) so you always have the same number of numbers.

Then I simply use that last number option (with the triangles going up and down, and it starts at 1) to make each one unique and numbered within that order. So I end up with 01122020 -1, 01122020 -2, etc. 

3. Make the Product Name what you wish, and if you have Sanitized checked, it will clean up the Package Name too. No special characters. (I always have Sanitized checked)  

4. Package GUID  just click the gear. Each package needs a unique one. 

5. Compatibility Tags Click the cog and select Daz Studio 4.5+, General, Install Manager, Private Build, Public Build,  Windows 64 bit or whatever applies to you. When in the "New" tab, these hold and you only have to do it once. In Batch Maker, you have to do them every time. Really annoying. 

6. Make sure Generate Manifest.dsx and Generate Supplemental.dsx are both checked.

7. At the left top, click Add Zip File and go to your first folder in !CPACK DO
    Store A  (main folder)
            !CPACK DO   (sub folder)      
                  Jan 12 2020   (sub folder)   Example: Grab this one

You click on the Jan 12 2020 folder and select the zip from the RIGHT side. Trying to get it from the left doesn't work, even if you open the folder and see the zips below it. (These little things that make you doubt your sanity.) 

8.  Double click on the Product Image Box (on right)  to open your folder (since you just selected the zip, it will already be on the folder. Easy!)  and add your image. Or you can use the Add Product Image at the top.

9. Now let's check the files. Click on Files tab. (This seems backward to me- the tab you are in is white, and the one you're NOT is gray.) 

You do NOT want "My Library" in your file structure as the Level 1.  Most/All are Content.  That's in Dr Jellybean's ReadMe, if you want more information and a screenshot. So when you do single zip files for packages, remember to go to the Files Tab and make sure the structure is correct.

Are you doing Batch Maker for multiple files to combine into one zip? You can even use the New option (for single zip packages) to test each of the zips individually to look for My Library problems,  when you do batches. Then just delete the single ones and use Batch Maker.

10.  Up at the top in CPA, Click Make, then Make In Package Folder.  A popup will tell you when it's done. Your zip package will be in !CPACK DO 

Next, in Make, select Make In Daz IM Download Folder.  In DIM your package will appear in Downloads, ready to be installed! I simply keep DIM open and refresh, and have the Downloads section selected.  If you don't have DIM open, there's an option to open it at the top of the CPA. Again, it is SO neat to see the package show up in DIM! 

11. Install using DIM.

12. Manually move the folder from !CPACK DONE to CPACK ALL DONE  once you install the product OR wait until you install AND create a category for it. (This is what I do.) 

For groups of zips (to combine into one package) you simply use Batch Maker, at the upper left menu. You MUST ensure COMBINE is checked in the bottom left corner.  Again, you can use NEW to check each zip file's structure, then delete them. 

Want to Categorize them in Content Library?

In Content Library, there's Categories. Right click on Categories and  create your main category, for example, the name of the store. Store A.   Then you click on Store A and right click,and create your subcategories under it. For example:

Store A
         G8 Characters F
         G8 Characters M
         G8 Clothing F
         G8 Clothing M

1. Now, go find the product.  I go back to the Explorer zip files and see where they are installed. If it's a character for example, look under People. See if there is a vanity name or if the character is named for itself.
    2. Right Click on your product. Create A Category From Selected Folder OR Selected Folder and Subfolders (most of the time will be this one, if it has materials for example.) 
    3. Then Categories will open and you select the folder you want to put the product under. (Say, G8 Clothing M)

That's it!
    If you find any errors/want to discuss how you do it, feel free to discuss it. :)  Hope this helps. This is in the Reference posts on the first page so you'll have it when you need it. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

Luke HD (G8M)      Alliance Defense Outfit (G8M)      OOT Super Messy Updo Hair (G3 & 8) 

When doing expressions with Luke, you may want to open the eyes a bit due to the saggier eyelids. Select the character in Scene, then in Parameters under Posing you select the head, then the eyes.

Luke AllianceDef Messy.png
    711 x 898 - 749K
    Luke AllianceDef Messy2.png
    800 x 900 - 1M
    Luke AlliDefBike2.png
    800 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.