Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

You made Luke look very good.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited May 2019

Adia for Monique 8      CO Ichigo and Ichigo Hair (G8F)     Chichi Poses (Charlotte 8 and G8F)    Studio Drapes Base Pack

I like the Chichi poses, I used 14M. They're very relaxed poses, and if you got the Charlotte 8 Pro Bundle, you got the poses. 

The Ichigo Hair (black) wasn't black enough with these lights so I darkened it in both the base and top coat (in Surfaces) for the second render.  The outfit is dforce Basics Lunch Date (not sold here) and it has a lot of nice materials, just showing two of them. 

The Studio Drapes Base Pack has the studio walls, and I just used shaders to get the pattern behind her. (Large tiling) It's Architectural Iray Shaders 

EDIT: Also, when she loaded, I had to go to Eyelashes in the options to get them to have black color. So if yours loads with white ones, remember to check that Eyelashes folder.

AdiaIchigoHr LunchDateREN.png
    525 x 900 - 934K
    AdiaIchigoHr LunchDateREN 2.png
    625 x 900 - 974K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

There is a lot of nuance in the color of that hair, it looks very realistic.

There is a lot of nuance in the color of that hair, it looks very realistic.

It's a good hair, I turned off the "tails" for the sides. With tails on, you get a longer hair. I also used the high shine option. 

edited May 2019

Ai HD (G8F)     Ellisea Hair (G3/8F) 

First of all, that's a really problematic name when you type it in the Product Library. Tons of Aiko's came up! 
    She's wearing dforce Boardwalk from another store. Shown are just two of the materials.

I used the Architectural Iray Shaders again with the Studio Drapes Base Pack as the walls again.

TIP: To do Depth of Field, open up the Aux Viewport (Go up to Windows/Panes and find it) then put that one in Perspective View. Create then select the DOF Camera in your Scene tab,  and the planes will show in the Perspective View. That way, your main viewing area will show what's happening when you move the sliders in Parameters/Camera so far as your image moving, and you can use the Aux Viewpport to see where the planes are with regards to your figure/scene. 

I LOVE the depth of field on this one, and the Architectural Shader looks very real.

The top was light pink, but too glaring for these lights so far as the shine. So I changed the metallicity color, base color, glossy color, etc. and also went for a purple.

Ai ElliseaHr BoardwalkREN.png
    655 x 900 - 1M
    Ai ElliseaHr BoardwalkREN2.png
    455 x 857 - 488K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Novica said:

Content Package Assist Tutorial

Thanks for the tips! It's timely as I was just getting ready to use it on my non-Daz files

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    Your renders are looking great! Thanks for all the product showcasing.
    barbult said:
    Your renders are looking great! Thanks for all the product showcasing.

Thank you for your help too. :)   I'm using the Pro-Studio HDR Lighting System, as usual. It works great for outdoor scenes as well.  Coming up is a beach house, outdoor shot, using it.

edited May 2019

Albany HD (G8F)      H&C One Piece Swimsuit (G8F)      Kinley Hair With dforce (G3/8F)       TS Beach House

"You are SO not bringing those fish in here to scale!" 

The Beach House is very spacious, which I really like. The wall wood patterns don't repeat often enough to be glaringly obvious, and the pictures on the wall break it up nicely. (There's one plank that only comes halfway down and is darker, and the picture strategically breaks up that plank in the next section. Nicely done.)  One thing I don't like is the gray for the outdoor slab/porch, I think going with another beige tile would be better. Another thought-  use wood, even though it weathers, because even outdoor tiles designed for wet surfaces can be slippery.

Perhaps that's why you see so many decks in Florida. The outdoor tiling has a rougher surface, which you do see here.  I just don't happen to like the gray in this set. The larger indoor tiles are elegant (and large tiles more expensive) and then this gray small tile rather ruins that for me.  I also don't like the boards across the back windows, I am hoping they are blinds. I'm rendering right now and can't check it at the moment.

One thing definitely missing- wipe your feet mat!  NO beach house would have a "come in to this room and bring all the sand with you" door from the beach without a doormat. If you render this for a book, be SURE to add that.

Another thing- and not sure why this is there except to either poke fun at Snowbirds or a reminder of home- I believe that photo on the end table is a mountain with SNOW. I zoomed in and I believe that's what it is. You may not want that in your scene either.

Interesting- Look at the thumbnail of the woman sitting on the couch, and that doorknob way behind her. Large so it can easily pull the door. Not sure if I like it being so noticeable, I would probably change it to white. 

The H&C One Piece Swimsuit fits nicely and has a lot of great materials. Quite a variety.

AlbanyOnePcSwimKinleyHrBchHouse.png
    855 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

TS Beach House

You can see that mountain (snow capped?) photo on the end table.

AlbanyOnePcSwimKinleyHrBchHouse2.png
    900 x 1004 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on

Oh my, I'm over 20,000 posts!

Oh my, I'm over 20,000 posts!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

So good she said it twice

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited May 2019

Congratulations Novica!

And thank you for the review.

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

I noticed that Luke's heavy eyelids can prevent you from seeing his eyes/irises.  Good tip about opening his eyes wider after selecting an expression.

Using the architectural shaders on a flat wall is brilliant.  I don't have the studio pack, but I have now wish listed it.  I suppose you could do the same thing with a primitive too.  

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

And in 60 more @Chohole will be at 30,000!!

edited May 2019
    Chohole said:

So good she said it twice

LOL I HATE the way these forums keep what you've typed and if you see it in a rush, you don't think you've posted. Is there a way to turn that OFF? We've all seen "duplicate post" where the poster had to go back and take it out.  I really like the Save Draft function, but the text box should clear out after it's been posted. :( 

@chohole  Get going on those 60!  Oh wait, it's been a couple hours now so you're probably almost there!  

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

Using the architectural shaders on a flat wall is brilliant.  I don't have the studio pack, but I have now wish listed it.  I suppose you could do the same thing with a primitive too.  

You'll like the Studio Drapes Base pack (with the walls.)   The drapes make great backgrounds, with or without depth of field. I did experiment awhile ago, and had to turn down the reflections/glossy a bit as there was quite a bit of burnout with the glare. I also changed the glossy color to be darker.

I like doing the slats of the wood on a wall that goes away from the viewer, like the one above with Ai. Really adds depth as it goes away, and with DOF it almost feels like the character is touchable. That render took about an hour and a half to set up.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

If you have dForce Jasmine Outfit (G8F)   or  dForce Alexa Outfit   shoot me a PM today. (Then remember to check your PMs in return.) I'll be online for the next few hours (it's going on 4:30am) and then I'll update this post to let you know if I'll be online or not. I'm on a different sleep schedule and not sure if I'll try to snooze for a bit or stay up, run errands, then sleep the afternoon. :) 

Edit- Signing off, it's 8am. 

Post edited by Novica on

I'm over 10,000 but unlike your posts my posts are mostly useless.

I'm having fun trying to come up with a way to make a reasonably simple way to make a female hair style. It's a reasonable fun process although DAZ 3D developers could add some design simplifications and extensions that would make the hair styling process more easily doable. If I make any successfully I'll review what I did here and share the scene it's in. 

As I have to spend a full 8 hour day with a push mower mowing a lawn that likely won't be anytime today though. LOL, it's supposed to rain Fri - Sun though so maybe I'll have some success then.

I've attached a picture to show the hair style I'm trying for and what I've managed. I know I am going to have to create multiple hair strand instances on her head (the attempt below has only 2) to have any chance of styling like the picture but the problem is one can only edit one hair instance at a time. While most times that is useful, sometimes you need to edit multiple hair instances at a time. Much more frequently though one needs to see all the hair instances at the same time when editing the newest hair instance added to the scene so the length and how big the curls are and such things can be made to be reasonably somewhat the same size.

If I can figure out how to create a curl like in the real photo then it will be possible for me to make the hair style even without improvements so if any of you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

elizabeth-montgomery-9542171-1-402.jpg
    300 x 300 - 15K
    Flip-Doo.png
    405 x 405 - 412K
  • RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited May 2019

Nice! Like the Beach House renders. Especially the one with the blue sofa and the art on the wall. Very natural lighting.

Post edited by Rakuda on
  • nonesuch00 Where did you get that your posts are useless? I always enjoy them (and learn from them).

edited May 2019

Ailliki for Gia 8       Evelyn Hair (G3F/ G8F)       Cute Bob Hair (G3F/G8F)     IGD Diva-tude Poses (Stephanie 8)

Ailliki has many options, as usual, from DarwinsMishap.  I don't particularly care for the liner coming that far over but you have many liners to choose from.

One thing I would like all vendors to do for the thumbnails- for makeups of eyes, only show the eyes. We don't need the entire face. It's impossible to know what the results are, and numbering makeups 1,2, 3 etc doesn't give a clue. Show what we need to see in the thumbnails as much as possible. It's frustrating for eye colors when you're showing the entire face- zoom in on the eyes please.

One thing about Ailikki- you may need to use some fill color if you use the blush. It left a straight, solid line where the face meets the ear. If you look closely, you'll see right in front of the nearest ear, I put some color, otherwise there's definitely a vertical linear difference in the blush and the face right there. See the darkest part of the blush on the cheek nearest you? Then there's a lighter section, then the ear. That light section was colored in a bit, it is extremely light/different. (I also added a few darker dots at the bottom of it, to tie in the imperfections of the section to the right of it, aka the main face/blush area.) 

The outfit is from another store, it's called Charade. That flower on front is white, in the second image, I added pink to the material to avoid glare

The Diva-tude Poses set has some nice, relaxed poses.

First one, with makeup (note the liner) and dark lips, second one more natural.

Ailikki.png
    558 x 800 - 713K
    Ailikki 2.png
    450 x 800 - 377K
    Post edited by Novica on

nonesuch00 Where did you get that your posts are useless? I always enjoy them (and learn from them).

I'm just teasing. Thanks though.

edited May 2019

I did very well yesterday (too well, sigh) with picking up materials for outfits on another site. The previous day, the outfits (and hair by Prae) were 70%, then I got the materials at 70%. The two outfits I mentioned (and asked people to contact me) that were sold here, had gorgeous materials for 70% off. Charlene's Closet had materials the previous day.  Is there a way to filter on other sites for Daz Outfits sold here but materials there?  I know it would increase sales here too, as I found a few last year that got me curious about the outfits sold here (although I own most of them. It's one of those, "Oooh, hope I own that one" and of course I do, and hadn't had time to render it. ) blush  I would have bookmarked them otherwise, and they would get a sale later. When I find outfits that have materials elsewhere, and I have the outfit, I'm more likely to feature it too.

I only realized the 70% dailies a few days ago. Had Lully been featured already?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

Akira (G8F)         The Legend (G3/G8F)       Jepe's Art Deco Statuettes III (V8)     Aged Leathers For Iray   
    IG Beautiful Darkness Poses (G8F)      Confident Poses  (Eva 8/G8F)     DA Real World Lighting        dForce Anime Ninja Outfit  (G8)   
    Rachel Hair (G3/8F) 

I turned down the glossy reflectivity and increased the roughness because Akira has a lot of shine in her skin. 
    I wanted to have fun with the Statuettes product as I had never used it. The Aged Leathers Iray is fun to use for the "lamp" section behind it. There's a light bulb behind that geometric area. I used the Aged Leathers on everything, including the pedestal.  Each section of the geometric section is individual material zones, which is nice. 

The hair is The Brides Hair from another site, and I really like it! It can go straight up like Frankenstein's Bride, or you can make it much smaller and tightly curled, as shown. The streaks have different color options and this matches the purple eyeshadow Akira is wearing. Akira has varied makeups, including more fantasy.

Take a second peek at the Ninja Anime Outfit, it has some nice materials and the main promos make it seem cartoony. The thumbnails show it on regular people.

One thing I wish vendors would do: note Akira's materials that I used include the body and NECK. Why do white face makeup and not have the second option of the white face makeup and INCLUDE THE NECK/TORSO or FULL BODY?

This isn't the entire Legend Outfit.

You can expand the geometric area and have a nice background for portrait renders.

Akira The Bride Hair REN.png
    750 x 800 - 788K
    Akira The Bride Hair REN 2.png
    980 x 1175 - 3M
    Akira The Bride Hair REN 3.png
    584 x 700 - 602K
    Akira The Bride Hair REN 4.png
    484 x 700 - 615K
    Post edited by Novica on

Quite interesting character, sort of like Pinocchio.

Quite interesting character, sort of like Pinocchio.

LOL, hadn't thought of her that way  :) 

edited May 2019

Alabama HD (Sydney 8)    dForce Ao Dai Outfit (G8F)     Liberty Hair (G8F)

Wanted to show you how different a character can look with short, curly hair and long, blonde hair.

The short curled style is Halo Hair from another site, as is Shoulder Tee. Again, it's Confident Poses (Eva 8/G8F)  The lighting for the first render is the Pro Studio HDR Lights 2 but I don't remember which one. The Dome Rotation is 270 and Y Orientation 40, with the figure rotated to face the light (so not facing Front.) 

The second render is with the Ao Dai Outfit and Liberty Hair. The hat comes in several colors. I wish vendors would include WHITE so we can do our own thing in the Base color in Surfaces.  Note the many options, as typical with EJ hairs, including having that ornamental stuff in the hair or just as plain, long hair.  This is the Pro-Studio 2 13R Light, with ISO 135 and Exposure Value 13.37   I do postwork however, and lighten/brighten, increase saturation/midtones/shadows/contrast etc on all my renders. 

Alabama HaloHr REND OffShldrT REND.png
    484 x 900 - 673K
    Alabama AoDai Outfit Liberty Hr.png
    500 x 900 - 770K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Alabama HD (Sydney 8)    dForce Ao Dai Outfit (G8F)     Liberty Hair (G8F)

Wanted to show you how different a character can look with short, curly hair and long, blonde hair.

The short curled style is Halo Hair from another site, as is Shoulder Tee. Again, it's Confident Poses (Eva 8/G8F)  The lighting for the first render is the Pro Studio HDR Lights 2 but I don't remember which one. The Dome Rotation is 270 and Y Orientation 40, with the figure rotated to face the light (so not facing Front.) 

The second render is with the Ao Dai Outfit and Liberty Hair. The hat comes in several colors. I wish vendors would include WHITE so we can do our own thing in the Base color in Surfaces.  Note the many options, as typical with EJ hairs, including having that ornamental stuff in the hair or just as plain, long hair.  This is the Pro-Studio 2 13R Light, with ISO 135 and Exposure Value 13.37   I do postwork however, and lighten/brighten, increase saturation/midtones/shadows/contrast etc on all my renders. 

Those are super. I love, love, love that Alabama HD character for Sydney 8.

This discussion has been closed.