Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I have 21GB of RAM left. Not a RAM issue.

edited May 2019

It is the beta Studio 4.11 causing the crash. Works JUST FINE IN 4.10

Can not recommend the beta 4.11 AT ALL.

Edit- and 4.11 has ALWAYS run very sluggishly, takes forever to startup and to clear the scene, and to load scenes/ characters. Thumbs down, this is the last straw. Keep a version of 4.10 if you haven't done so already!!!!

Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited May 2019
    Novica said:

BTW, here's how to check your AVAILABLE RAM. This was Windows 10, may work in 7.

Hold down CTRL + ALT, press Delete.
    That brings up Task Manager
    Click Performance Tab at the top
    Click Memory. 

I'll put this under RAM in tips in the Reference Links first page. 

I don't know what it looks like in 10 but in 7 if you look at the bottom right there is a Commit (GB) that is the virtual memory used e.g. 11/31 which means I am using 11 GB of 31 GB. If the left one exceeds the right one then whichever program is using it will close, even windows will close and the computer will shut down at times :) I am only using 9.75 GB of actual memory of 16 GB.

Post edited by Fishtales on

2019-04-05 23:08:14.786 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend error: Degraining filter cannot be combined with "black pixel filter".
    2019-04-05 23:08:14.800 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 02644 iterations after 313.676s.

Geez I can't win. Now the 4.10 is shutting down after 87% rendering. 

Sounds like it could be an overheating problem. If you get inside the computer try reseating all the memory modules and the graphic card with the heating and cooling they may have moved.

Doubt it's the heating- the GT Titan 8RG has extra insulation for the coils or whatever, and I paid another $300 for more after that. Instead of heating to the 110's (the competition goes to a whopping 130 degrees) it is low 80's if I remember correctly. And I also have a Klin 4 x 2500 RPM fans computer cooler under the laptop. It is blowing out lukewarm (barely warm) air. 

Headed to the barn at 5:50am to get Stetson out in his pasture, going to be 100 heat index today. It rendered 100% this time, chat later.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707
    Novica said:

2019-05-25 02:10:09.387 Loaded image aprkari_txbrown.jpg
    2019-05-25 02:10:09.560 Loaded image aprkari_trans.jpg
    2019-05-25 02:12:24.460 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): peer performed orderly shutdown errno=0

That's not a crash, note it's an "orderly" shutdown. I'm not sure if it's routine or a minor issue (warnings are geenrally information you might want to be aware of, rather than outright errors) but you will probably see a lot of them in the log.

Novica said:

2019-04-05 23:08:14.786 WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(307): Iray ERROR - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend error: Degraining filter cannot be combined with "black pixel filter".
    2019-04-05 23:08:14.800 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Received update to 02644 iterations after 313.676s.

Geez I can't win. Now the 4.10 is shutting down after 87% rendering. 

The bold section is just telling you that certain combinations of settings can't be used, in this case it can't denoise if it's also trying to thwap the odd black pixel - I would expect it to just switch one of the options to default to cope with that, I certainly wouldn't expect it to trigger a crash.

Not saying you are not getting ctrashes (obviously), just that I don't think those log entries are giving information that is directly relevant to the crashes - unfortunately if there's a bad crash-to-desktop the relevant entries for the log may be lost. I would agree with Fishtales that heat might be a suspect - try using GPU-Z to monitor, if the crash doesn't take it down too.

Keep in mind I'm not technical :)  but I had Task Manager open and it said 100% CPU and 1-7% GPU at the TOP of the column, while IN the column those were 99.1% and .1%, so I did check the CPU and GPU (not that it means a thing to me.) 

What is a GPU-Z and how do I find it? 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Well I've had to use the 4.11 betas, all of them, because of a horrible viewport bug in the 4.10 DS that makes the viewport unusable when trying to use most of the gizmos that translate, rotate, and so on. The 4.11 betas go a long way to fixing those bugs. For me, on a laptop with only 16GB RAM and no nVidia video card until the latest 4.11.0.366 beta the 4.11 betas had all been more bug-free and stable than the 4.10 released DAZ Studio; however the 4.11.0.366 is the most crash prone version of DAZ Studio I've used yet, mostly when the strand hair features get invoked. I've already written a bug report ticket for some of those bugs though.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,707

GPU-Z is a tool that gives a lot of information about your video card, it's available from https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/ However, if the CPU is running at 100% that sounds as if the GPU is not being used (though Task Manager can be misleading on that with default settings).

Thanks Richard. 

I'm not saying this is a solution, but here's how I got to a 100% render-

It crashed in 4.10 at 87%, so I cancelled, saved last render (an option under the Save tab in studio) then resumed. I cancelled periodically, from 30% then again 65%, then 75%, then 83%, then took a chance and let it go. No crashes. I had zero problems with Aux Viewport, or the main viewport Iray view- in 4.10 Will try to do some more renders today.  It's really hot and I walked a couple miles at the ranch this morning after putting Stetson out, so it's an indoor day!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    Success after stopping and restarting is even more evidence to point at an overheating issue. Stopping lets it cool down a little before starting again. Don't assume that because you have expensive equipment it is not a heat issue. Things can go wrong in software and hardware. First use GPU-Z to see if your GPU is even being used in the render. GPU-Z will tell you the GPU memory amount used, the fan speed and temperature. Keep an eye on those values as your render runs. 4.11 runs very well for me, with exception of a couple issues in the Strand-Based Hair Editor. I know about those now and can avoid them until they are corrected. I almost never run 4.10 anymore.
    edited May 2019

The air blowing out is barely lukewarm, and the GPU isn't being used IF Task Manager can be believed. I'll go check on the GPU-Z   :) 

But the 4.11 studio is extremely sluggish with clearing the scene and loading, and that's not a heat issue I would think-  That's on startup.

Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129
    Novica said:

The air blowing out is barely lukewarm, and the GPU isn't being used IF Task Manager can be believed. I'll go check on the GPU-Z   :) 

But the 4.11 studio is extremely sluggish with clearing the scene and loading, and that's not a heat issue I would think-  That's on startup.

If air blowing out is barely warm, that might be a bad sign. Rendering causes a lot of heat. Where is all the heat going?  Maybe the fans, or water cooling pump, or whatever cooling system you have, is not working properly, and all the heat is staying inside.

First report the GPU-Z results. If the GPU is not being used, you are rendering with the CPU. Then you need to monitor your CPU temperature instead, to see if it is overheating.

Your 4.11 slow startup problem is probably some unrelated issue, I'd guess.

edited May 2019
    kala 100.png
    950 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on

Check the vram/swap file on your discs and make sure it is set high enough. Even though you aren't using all the installed ram Windows still uses the swap file which will slow things down if it doesn't have enough and will stop programs loading, slow load them or even shut down windows. Although you aren't getting a lot of heat coming from the exhaust ports if the CPU/ram/graphics card has moved out slightly it can still cause localised overheating enough to cause problems..

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    Novica said:

Sluggish start for me also on 4.11 compared to 4.10. I'm not sure why but I think they spend a lot more time explicitly initializing variable values in 4.11 whereas in earlier version they relied on the program linker to do that.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Did the crashing renders show more of the Raeni outfit? Back when the Edie bundle came out, there were buyers complaining that one of the outfits (which involved some of the same PAs as Raeni) had these massive 4K texture sets that took forever to download, and it seems like I've heard of large textures being memory slurpers.

edited May 2019
    Odaa said:

Did the crashing renders show more of the Raeni outfit? Back when the Edie bundle came out, there were buyers complaining that one of the outfits (which involved some of the same PAs as Raeni) had these massive 4K texture sets that took forever to download, and it seems like I've heard of large textures being memory slurpers.

Yes it did as a matter of fact, and I turned off the pants, shoes, overcoat, etc. as they weren't showing. I think I only kept the necklace and corset top. Good to know.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited May 2019

Converted Xurge3d's Battle Angel for V4 to G3F, and one of Chohole's freebie textures for it to Iray. Outfit is currently half-price along with the rest of his store and is on page four of his V4 section. Chohole's textures for the outfit are about halfway down page 6 of her website. They both have their limitations. For the outfit: the pauldrons (not shown in the image below) don't convert well, and the skirts don't play nice with dforce due to a lack of welded seams, The freebie textures, meanwhile, are old enough to where they don't come with bump maps, although the diffuse map plugged into the bump channel usually works fine as a substitute.  Still it's a pretty unique example of that fairly rare type of Daz/Poser clothing: a set of armor that makes a female character look both tough and feminine and protects most of the things that need protecting. And Cho's textures for it are awesome.

BattleAngelTest.jpg
    905 x 1280 - 905K
    Post edited by Odaa on

@odaa  That looks amazing!

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

Reminds me of one of the outfits in Eragon

Novica, Robert: thank you!

edited May 2019

Stetson was busy wiping his bottom lip on my hair. He'd just finished eating his pellets, which I wet so the supplements stick to them. This was yesterday morning.

I went riding today! Got out to the barn at 6:20am and fed him, groomed him, and was saddled up by 7am. It was really nice, middle 70's. Only rode 20 minutes (Haven't ridden in months)  and he wasn't even sweaty under the saddle when I took it off :) 

The picture's blurry because he's pushing and nudging me. Horses and selfies don't mix too smoothly!

IMG_3547USEDAZ.jpg
    688 x 850 - 431K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260

Great picture

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

Stetson was busy wiping his bottom lip on my hair. He'd just finished eating his pellets, which I wet so the supplements stick to them. This was yesterday morning.

I went riding today! Got out to the barn at 6:20am and fed him, groomed him, and was saddled up by 7am. It was really nice, middle 70's. Only rode 20 minutes (Haven't ridden in months)  and he wasn't even sweaty under the saddle when I took it off :) 

The picture's blurry because he's pushing and nudging me. Horses and selfies don't mix too smoothly!

And yet, this is still an adorable photo of the two of you.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    Novica said:

New avatar time?

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

That's a wonderful picture of the two of you smiley

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited May 2019

Well I've had to use the 4.11 betas, all of them, because of a horrible viewport bug in the 4.10 DS that makes the viewport unusable when trying to use most of the gizmos that translate, rotate, and so on. The 4.11 betas go a long way to fixing those bugs.

I used to have the viewport problem also but after reinstalling the system (Win 10, DS 4.10.0.123) and moving all my programming stuff to another machine it seems to be gone. I'm using Mouse Without Borders (MWB) so I'm controlling the render machine with the mouse and keyboard on this one. MWB has some settings for adapting to individual setups on each machine, the DS viewport controls go totally nuts if I use a certain setting but works fine with another. So if doesn't look like it's a bug in DS, at least not 4.10.0.123.  

Post edited by Taoz on
This discussion has been closed.