Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383! (*UPDATED*)

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited June 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Daz 3D is pleased to announce Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.383!

Highlights:

See the highlights thread here for details.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Public Build (Beta) Threads:

• 4.11.0.335 (April 17, 2019)
    • 4.11.0.236 (October 9, 2018)
    • 4.11.0.231 (October 1, 2018)
    • 4.11.0.196 (August 21, 2018)
    • 4.11.0.171 (July 16, 2018)

General Release Threads:

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• rbtwhizrbtwhiz Posts: 2,178
    edited May 2019

Has the NVIDIA Iray renderer been updated?

Yes, it has. See the Daz Studio Pro 4.11 -  NVIDIA Iray thread for details.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,013

Strand based hair? Now that is interesting....

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,684
    Leana said:

Yes, and I wonder what is it?  When does the update come out?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,890

The update should be available now.

edited May 2019
    Leana said:

Basically, it means hair and fur similar to the ones from LAMH included directly in DS.

Check the video in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/326996/dforce-hair-as-well-as-strand-based-hair-and-the-strand-based-hair-editor-in-public-beta#latest

Post edited by Leana on

The update should be available now.

Okay if only my copy of DIM would work right now.  I might have to wait till later.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,131

The strand based hairs don't show up in Iray Preview for me. They do render fine in Iray.

• sojak72sojak72 Posts: 18

Hello,

I do have a problem with the new update... My last, perfect and super smooth running, Public build, it's gone after install with DAZ Install Manager.

I mean, Daz3d  4.11 beta, It's physical on my hard drive but the DAZ Install Manager says otherwise.

Starting the "Studio.exe" out of the folder makes no sense either, just shows a white screen with some menu text all over the place.

Gosh, only 30min ago I worked with the last "Public build" and all was fine...

Is there any help?

• Solar DreamerSolar Dreamer Posts: 33
    edited May 2019

There seems to be a bug in the installer for the Poser DSON importer. It wants all versions of Poser to be defined, even ones you don't have installed.

With both DAZ Studio 32bit and 64bit versions of the beta installed, it seems to default to opening 32bit DAZ Studio even when using the 64-bit shortcut (not a problem - just uninstalled the 32bit)

Small suggestion:
    Would be wonderful if you guys could implement a cleaner character setup room dedicated for that purpose, similar to what iClone has in Character Creator. Something like where you load the character into the room, click the body part / sub-part you want, and just change away sliders. Like character on the left with a clipped viewport just showing the character, two or multi-column view on the right with all the sliders.  Also, if you could implement something like SimTereno Randomizer into said room, possibly for each morph as well (but default to select all while filtering out extreme values / shapes like fantasy / scifi).

I know - that doesn't sound all that different from how it is now, except for that you have to go through the heirachy and scroll a bunch instead of being able to just click and then slide around to get the morphs you want.

Post edited by Solar Dreamer on
    sojak72 said:

Hello,

I do have a problem with the new update... My last, perfect and super smooth running, Public build, it's gone after install with DAZ Install Manager.

I mean, Daz3d  4.11 beta, It's physical on my hard drive but the DAZ Install Manager says otherwise.

Starting the "Studio.exe" out of the folder makes no sense either, just shows a white screen with some menu text all over the place.

Is there any help?

If the interface is white it might be that you reinstalled DS while the previous version was still running, which can cause problem. Close DS, check that it's not running anymore in Windows task manager (or OSX equivalent if you're using a Mac), then try uninstalling then reinstalling the beta again.

Leana said:
    Leana said:

Basically, it means hair and fur similar to the ones from LAMH included directly in DS.

Check the video in this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/326996/dforce-hair-as-well-as-strand-based-hair-and-the-strand-based-hair-editor-in-public-beta#latest

Strand-Based Hair is the evolution of a product formerly known as Garibaldi Express. Major work (and I do not use that phrase lightly) has been done to allow some of its core algorithms to be utilized by other plugins, such as dForce, for an even more integrated feel. You may come to notice that true dForce Hair (not to be confused with hair that utilizes dForce Cloth) provides many properties via the Surfaces pane that correspond to similarly named controls found in the Strand-Based Hair Editor for strand-based hair nodes.

And while the Strand-Based Hair Editor itself has been largely inspired by the former editor, there are many (sometimes sublte) differences — which is to say that while many of the concepts established by the former editor were replicated (which took quite a bit of effort, might I add), the implementation of has been largely replaced and will continue to evolve with Daz Studio proper.

-Rob

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,710
    Small suggestion:

Would be wonderful if you guys could implement a cleaner character setup room dedicated for that purpose, similar to what iClone has in Character Creator. Something like where you load the character into the room, click the body part / sub-part you want, and just change away sliders. Like character on the left with a clipped viewport just showing the character, two or multi-column view on the right with all the sliders.  Also, if you could implement something like SimTereno Randomizer into said room, possibly for each morph as well (but default to select all while filtering out extreme values / shapes like fantasy / scifi).

I know - that doesn't sound all that different from how it is now, except for that you have to go through the heirachy and scroll a bunch instead of being able to just click and then slide around to get the morphs you want.

Have you tried using the Region Navigation tool with the Shaping pane? You can always set up an Activity (top tab) for that if you want a clean worspace.

rbtwhiz said:
    Leana said:
    Leana said:

Strand-Based Hair is the evolution of a product formerly known as Garibaldi Express. Major work (and I do not use that phrase lightly) has been done to allow some of its core algorithms to be utilized by other plugins, such as dForce, for an even more integrated feel. You may come to notice that true dForce Hair (not to be confused with hair that utilizes dForce Cloth) provides many properties via the Surfaces pane that correspond to similarly named controls found in the Strand-Based Hair Editor for strand-based hair nodes.

And while the Strand-Based Hair Editor itself has been largely inspired by the former editor, there are many (sometimes sublte) differences — which is to say that while many of the concepts established by the former editor were replicated (which took quite a bit of effort, might I add), the implementation of has been largely replaced and will continue to evolve with Daz Studio proper.

-Rob

I can imagine it was quite a bit of work yes. Adapting somebody else's code or algorithms for your own program can be quite a challenge! (Been there, done that...)

Glad to see Garibaldi hair "revived", I quite liked that plugin.

Leana said:
    sojak72 said:

Hello,

Is there any help?

If the interface is white it might be that you reinstalled DS while the previous version was still running, which can cause problem. Close DS, check that it's not running anymore in Windows task manager (or OSX equivalent if you're using a Mac), then try uninstalling then reinstalling the beta again.

...Shut, that was it...

I restarted, but there was no change.

and i delete the main folder manual because,

The thing is, there is no uninstall or reinstall or anything like that. For the install manager, the public build for DAZ3d is nonexisting.

It is not in the "Ready to Download" section, not in the "Ready to install" and not in the  "Installed" section...

And yes, i checked it, several times, the hook for "Public build" to download is set...

So... now i stuck and no idea what to do.

sojak72 said:
    Leana said:
    sojak72 said:

Hello,

Is there any help?

...Shut, that was it...

The thing is, there is no uninstall or reinstall or anything like that. For the install manager, the public build for DAZ3d is nonexisting.

It is not in the "Ready to Download" section, not in the "Ready to install" and not in the  "Installed" section...

And yes, i checked it, several times, the hook for "Public build" to download is set...

If the file you originally downloaded is still in your DIM downloads folder, look for either IM00012000-02_DAZStudio411PublicBuildWin64bit.zip or IM00012000-01_DAZStudio411PublicBuildWin32bit.zip (depending on your OS)

Do I need to uninstall Garibaldi from DS 4.11?  

rbtwhiz said:
    Leana said:
    Leana said:

-Rob

So it is basically Garibaldi 2 which works with iray?  No wonder the garibaldi site says it is no longer available when I checked last week.

sojak72 said:
    Leana said:
    sojak72 said:

Hello,

Is there any help?

...Shut, that was it...

If the file you originally downloaded is still in your DIM downloads folder, look for either IM00012000-02_DAZStudio411PublicBuildWin64bit.zip or IM00012000-01_DAZStudio411PublicBuildWin32bit.zip (depending on your OS)

No, it was not. But, lucky me, by doing what you were thinking, i got it fixed. I added the zip file manually to the downloaded folder and could install the beta again

thanks for the help and ideas,

now I'm happy again :)

barbult said:

The strand based hairs don't show up in Iray Preview for me. They do render fine in Iray.

Dynamically calculating hair is very complex and can get very resource intensive — so it doesn't make a lot of sense to (potentially) bring a user's machine to its knees while it attempts to cope with the sheer amount of work we ask it to do, by default.

To help reduce the demands we place on your machine (and your patience) while we do a ton work to represent something as complex as hair, by default we limit display of the hair to the Style Curves that are responsible for controlling the basic flow of the hairstyle — we are not displaying the actual individual generated hair strands by default. The idea here is to give a rough idea of the hair/fur/grass, so as not to make the speed of interaction so slow that it becomes impractical to work with.

Then, if you consider the fact that Iray does not currently provide native support for a hair/fur/grass/curve "primitive" (a "simple" representation of the data that the render engine inherently understands), you come to realize that it takes considerably more data to describe this collection of strands to the renderer. To accomplish this, we tessellate our polylines (generate polygons), on-the-fly, prior to sending the scene to the renderer.

So, now that I've explained a (simplified) version of the "Why?" behind it... I'll tell you that enabling the "Preview PR Hairs" property ("PR" is an abbreviation for "Pre-Render") on the hair node will cause said tesselation to occur prior to an actual render taking place, which will make it visible in the viewport and available to the Iray DrawStyle.

-Rob

Thank you for the detailed information, Rob.

Do I need to uninstall Garibaldi from DS 4.11?  

No. The plugins are completely and entirely separate, and will happily co-exist.

So it is basically Garibaldi 2 which works with iray?  No wonder the garibaldi site says it is no longer available when I checked last week.

Not exactly. It is a bit more like an ancestor and while there may be some "family traits" (similarities) that are reflected in later generations (particularly to those that are looking for them), often times the individual(s) that come later are in fact very much their own.

-Rob

• NekoSoreNekoSore Posts: 35

Hello very cool stuff you've made available for us! I've got "Preview PR hair" enabled and now I can see the hair in more detail in the viewport while it's in "Texture Shaded" mode but it remains invisible when I change to "Nvidia Iray" in viewport. Is that working as intended or is there some other setting I might have missed? It renders fine when actually rendering but I'd very much like the option to preview it fully in the viewport if possible!

Thanks for your continued work on daz3d, looking forward to see what else you have going on! 

Just when I was going to ask when did this go live, the update of DS 4.11 came up on DIM.  I am home now which means not using hotspot which means faster internet.

NekoSore said:

Hello very cool stuff you've made available for us! I've got "Preview PR hair" enabled and now I can see the hair in more detail in the viewport while it's in "Texture Shaded" mode but it remains invisible when I change to "Nvidia Iray" in viewport. Is that working as intended or is there some other setting I might have missed? It renders fine when actually rendering but I'd very much like the option to preview it fully in the viewport if possible!

Thanks for your continued work on daz3d, looking forward to see what else you have going on! 

See the last paragraph:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4581461/#Comment_4581461

NekoSore said:

Following Rob's instructions to turn on Preview PR Hair made the hair show up in Iray Preview for me. I have my draw mode set to Photoreal.

Is it normal for an update like this to mess up metadata?  It says things like George 8 is not installed when he is.  I used him in a render in my gallery here of a fat Tobyn.  Also it is not showing the Genesis 8 starter essentials items in smart content.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    edited May 2019

This is really fantastic. Thank you so much for your and your team's hard work, Rob!!! We've been clamoring for this for so long, and you guys and girls are delivering in spades.

Just so I don't get my hopes to high... Are we able to convert existing hair to dforce hair in a similar manner to how we can convert non-dforce clothing?

Post edited by Leonides02 on
  • NekoSoreNekoSore Posts: 35
    edited May 2019
    barbult said:

Following Rob's instructions to turn on Preview PR Hair made the hair show up in Iray Preview for me. I have my draw mode set to Photoreal.

Ah yes, my bad. "Preview PR Hair" seems to work with the strand-based hair mohawk but the dforce hair mohawk remained invisible in Iray Preview until I changed "Viewport Line Tessellation Sides" to 2 instead of 0. Now it works like I hoped it would hehe, thanks!

Post edited by NekoSore on

This is really fantastic. Thank you so much for your and your team's hard work, Rob!!! We've been clamoring for this for so long, and you guys and girls are delivering in spades.

Just so I don't get my hopes to high... Are we able to convert existing hair to dforce hair in a similar manner to how we can convert non-dforce clothing?

Not at present.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Not at present.

Got it, thanks. So is the idea that vendors will sell "hair styles" that will then react with gravity and weight like with dforce?

Not at present.

Would it have the same success rate as converting clothes to dForce?