Old Dog New Tricks

Comments

• Yay for compositors! Huge preference for in scene perfect renders seems to dominate the Daz culture. I like post. + you can do just about anything you can think of. I like the process of changing things in post. Great imagery. Will have to check out "bloom" feature, thanks!

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    Dpiximaj said:

Yay for compositors! Huge preference for in scene perfect renders seems to dominate the Daz culture. I like post. + you can do just about anything you can think of. I like the process of changing things in post. Great imagery. Will have to check out "bloom" feature, thanks!

Thank you @Dpixmaj I love postwork too. :) The "In Daz" culture pretty much mirrors the "in camera" culture in photography. I didn't listen to them either. lol It's your art, do what you want to do!

edited December 2020

2 to 4 renders a day plus taking care of teh grand baby doesn't leave me with a lot of extra time for the boards but I wanted to drop by and throw up a before and after for you all. 

abagaleBefore.jpg
    781 x 800 - 510K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Crazy aint it lol! 

Love this, its beautiful!

• Thanks Sonja, it is crazy how different postwork can make a piece.  

• Sympatico Flutters Hairpins promo work with Charlotte character is one of my favorite portraits of all time! Absolutely superb! A true gem!

edited December 2020
    Dpiximaj said:

Sympatico Flutters Hairpins promo work with Charlotte character is one of my favorite portraits of all time! Absolutely superb! A true gem!

Aww thanks @Dpixmaj that one has very minor editing, I just ran a couple of Nik filters over it at low opacity. Probably sunlight, tonal contrast, darken lighten center, and polarization, then at the end I run a high pass layer over it to sharpen things up. The real game changer for that one was done in Daz with Divamakeup's Altern8 product, Charlotte's skin looks so much better with Altern8. 

Here is the before and after postwork.

FlutterHairppins-before.jpg
    800 x 600 - 60K
  • Altern8 skin is in my wishlist after this image...really inspired me to learn skin shading better - not necessarily for hyper realistic just for a touch more reality. Use NIK & unsharp mask &/or high pass here routinely too ???? you're awesome

edited April 2019

New video tutorial, this is just a quick one to show how to do depth of field. 

Depth of Field Tutorial

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Thank you! This is brilliant. Your video showed that I've been doing things all wrong when trying to do depth of field ... no wonder it wasn't working for me, lol. 

Thank you! This is brilliant. Your video showed that I've been doing things all wrong when trying to do depth of field ... no wonder it wasn't working for me, lol. 

So glad it helped! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    I watched it, too. It was well done. I look forward to future videos. I'm subscribed.
    barbult said:
    I watched it, too. It was well done. I look forward to future videos. I'm subscribed.

Thanks! I'm never sure if i am explaining myself well. :) 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I can't believe it's been so long since I was in your thread. I'm all caught up now and absolutely love the stuff you've been doing with Sympatico. Great stuff. I still get blown away by what you can do with mixing Daz renders with stock images.

I can't believe it's been so long since I was in your thread. I'm all caught up now and absolutely love the stuff you've been doing with Sympatico. Great stuff. I still get blown away by what you can do with mixing Daz renders with stock images.

Thanks KM, i haven't really been posting much here. The baby keeps me so busy I barley have time to keep up with Sympatico! I just got the video done because my daughter decided to send the baby to a babysitter once a week as he is getting very shy just hanging out with me way out in the country all day. :) So now I have one day a week all to myself....at least until summer and then my own baby gets out of school. :) 

I had the hardest time figuring out DOF.  I got it now, but I'm going to watch your video anyway lol.

I had the hardest time figuring out DOF.  I got it now, but I'm going to watch your video anyway lol.

Thanks for the support Sonya. DOF was one of the very few things I got right away, Daz has it set up very much like real life photography. I had a much harder time  posing figures of all things. lol 

Posing isn't all that easy either!  The really funny thing is, I actually won the newbie contest for the DOF month.  I had no clue what I was doing and it was totally by chance that I got it right lol.

• Thank you for a great video!

I have been using DOF for a while with no problem but I didn't know about the display planes. Always something new to learn!

Thank you for a great video!

I have been using DOF for a while with no problem but I didn't know about the display planes. Always something new to learn!

Thank you, I don't use them myself either, but thought I would include them as we all do things differently and learn differently so I thought some people might find the visual effect of them easier to understand. 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Found your new DOF video yesterday and watched it! You do a great job explaining and simplifying. Thank you for demoing the near-far planes! Had no idea what they did, and it will be super helpful in getting the right DOF look. yes

dawnblade said:

Found your new DOF video yesterday and watched it! You do a great job explaining and simplifying. Thank you for demoing the near-far planes! Had no idea what they did, and it will be super helpful in getting the right DOF look. yes

Thanks, I'm glad that it was helpful! 

edited December 2020

Sooooooo, it's been forever since I posted anything here. Decided to try and go back to before and after postwork images. 

AFTER POST WORK

BEFORE POST WORK

WarriorLies-deathbycanon.jpg
    576 x 800 - 156K
  • Lovely example of truly impressive postwork!

thanks Misselthwaite

edited December 2020

I thought I would throw Kate's before and after up beings she is on the front page. :) 

AFTER POST WORK

BEFORE POST WORK

kate2.jpg
    1000 x 562 - 173K
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited July 2020

I thought I would throw Kate's before and after up beings she is on the front page. :) 

AFTER POST WORK

BEFORE POST WORK

This is awesome! Congrats on making the front page! yes

Post edited by dawnblade on

Thanks Dawnblade 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133

Beautiful examples of a skilled artist at work!

Thanks Barbult