Genesis 8 Babies

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I think I still like the now removed from the DAZ Store, 'Baby for Genesis' the best with regards to being a believable newborn, although Virtual World's Ella is a must buy for me because that baby challenges the Baby for Genesis as a new born or maybe a 3 month old but still excellent and close enough. I'm not sure which is better until I buy & try Ella but I can tell you Baby for Genesis if very limited for posing without serious unnatural looking distortion; probably because digital 3D model technology doesn't really have a accurate way to describe changes in muscle, fat, skin, connective tissue, and bones when they move really.

Much of the clothing and accessories are never before in the DAZ Store sort of items as far as I know.

As far as the base boy baby and base girl baby I think the bodies are too big and the waist, stomach, torso area too flat in front and lesser so on back. The fat on the arms and legs looks excessive when the flatness of the torso is taken into consideration. Most newborns don't have that much fat on the arms & legs either but those arms & legs a well within the range for reasonable fat.

The head well those are plump cheeks and double chin to be sure but it looks like that fat just might as well be actual cheek bone and lower jaw bone and not fat deposits, at least in the renders I saw. The head looks to small in proportion the the body for a new born but for a todler it is OK. However for a todler the eyes are too sleepy. Their eyes look huge at that age. The eyes are sleepy like in a new born. Also even at todler age cheeks & a double chine that plump should look more like fat deposits and not like possible bone geometry.

The skin on the babies, pale & dark, looks too shiny, looks too hard. This is where the 3D model industry's obsession with sweaty, shiny, sharp angular muscular bodies and heads betrays their techniques - a baby should look soft, round, and diffuse, whether pale or dark. I think you almost have to render with a bloom filter enabled to get that look as the Surfaces settings alone only get similar results with a very high Translucency Color set at a very high percent (then you get problem of having a opaque model you can see through - oh well, maybe use a geoshell to try & get that effect without too much opaqueness). 

• OMG! BE REALLY CAREFUL BUYING THIS! Luckily I took screenshots but the total in my cart was not what PayPal charged! I was charged almost $13.00 more than the total in my cart! I sent in a ticket immediately but this is really not cool! Luckily I always check to see if the amount is correct after purchase and take screenshots. But this could potentially make an autopay thing that’s coming in today bounce and now I have to rush to my bank!  Really annoyed with this! 

Any way a mod could push this through so I don’t have to wait over 24 hours to get the money back? And I need it to go to my PayPal, NOT store credit! Thanks.

I suspect it was when the price of the Baby Accessories for Genesis 8 was being corrected - that often causes a brief glitch in pricing. I'm afraid we can't help to push the request through, though - if something looks to be stuck we can soemtimes put in a query about it, but that wouldn't apply here.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,695

I think she came out well/cute @wonderland  Nice work playing with the morph dials.

Thanks but that’s like only 20% Caryn...

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113

After quite a bit of tweaking in post, including digitally painting hair, I have to say I like this baby even more. It's going to be a great base for a lot of projects. 

Baby Fridge Detail SM.jpg
    615 x 616 - 242K
  • azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660

Poor babies, not feeling the love :(   So, I adopted them with hopes that given enough love and a stable environment, they would become outstanding little people in our 3D mesh society.

azoohouse said:

Poor babies, not feeling the love :(   So, I adopted them with hopes that given enough love and a stable environment, they would become outstanding little people in our 3D mesh society.

:D

• Would love to see them Cartoonized as well as combined with 3d Universe tooned with the toon family options!

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,639
    Odaa said:

That's it exactly, I think. The models themselves are great, but you have to pay attention to how babies are in the real world. Especially their facial expressions, but also how they hold their bodies. Once you do that, these babies look really great.

Hmmmm...now I'm thinking I should do a set of baby expressions and poses...

@ThoseThings What's taking you so long? blush Please add an HD chin scrunch/pincushion morph, since you do great morphs.

Image result for chin scrunch

edited April 2019

There are no eyebrows, painted or otherwise... 

ETA Nevermind, found it as a diffuse overlay...

Post edited by Wonderland on
    xyer0 said:
    Odaa said:

That's it exactly, I think. The models themselves are great, but you have to pay attention to how babies are in the real world. Especially their facial expressions, but also how they hold their bodies. Once you do that, these babies look really great.

Hmmmm...now I'm thinking I should do a set of baby expressions and poses...

@ThoseThings What's taking you so long? blush Please add an HD chin scrunch/pincushion morph, since you do great morphs.

Image result for chin scrunch

Ha ha! Perfect. I'll make sure to include screaming on a plane because of ear pain, too. :D

This definitely needs a separate head morph! 

• The more I look at them, the more they’re growing on me. And dangit, I’ve been crowing for years about wanting more diversity in terms of official Daz characters, so I may as well put my money where my mouth is.

I just hope Angel_Wings is inspired to make some characters based on these in the near future, too.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2019

Really torn on whether to put Ella in the cart. The basic skin looks great (and probably is, based on past experience with the PA) and the infant morph is pretty convincing (not a newborn to me, but say, a two-month-old). But the parrot mouth on the toddler is really off-putting and the overly red lips are even more offputting unless you're doing baby Snow White. The PA is I think going for the kind of startlingly pale skin with red lips you see in some artwork, but it doesn't really work for me in that artwork either.

As for the rolls of fat, when babies start looking like sumo wrestlers or extremely pudgy Baroque cherubs, it usually means they're about to make another growth spurt.

Post edited by Odaa on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Well, that's disappointing. I'm unable to separate the head from the body with XMorphs. Not entirely sure why. Could be that the only morph that's exposed to the script is a controller that controls lots of other morphs, but that's just a guess. Until I can separate them, it's gonna make things much more difficult.

Laurie

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited April 2019

I found it easy to make a cute toddler/older baby. So this is a useful base. Here's the setting. Make your own child! 

Altern8 gave her a nice rosy tint.

daddysgirl.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
    easy.JPG
    224 x 536 - 34K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited April 2019

If you own a lot of morphs, it’s fun to play with but DEFINITELY needs a separate head/body morph! I really hope they update that... Used Anagenesis and a ton of morphs for a somewhat stylized character. 

3BB1A73B-BB38-48E8-B275-144055BD15DD.jpeg
    1000 x 1300 - 375K
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Definitely fun to play with.

baby 2.jpg
    4000 x 4000 - 6M
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Hmm. Interesting, but too deep in Uncanny Valley for my taste. Also, as a few people upthread have mentioned, I'd call these toddlers rather than babies.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    AllenArt said:

Well, that's disappointing. I'm unable to separate the head from the body with XMorphs. Not entirely sure why. Could be that the only morph that's exposed to the script is a controller that controls lots of other morphs, but that's just a guess. Until I can separate them, it's gonna make things much more difficult.

Laurie

I would appreciate it, if you keep us updated. smiley

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
    edited April 2019

I don't think the new Genesis 8 Babies look too old. And I don't feel that their chins are too big. I think they're all very realistic. I especially like this little guy:

oliver-hardy.jpg
    300 x 360 - 13K
    Post edited by NotAnArtist on
    edited April 2019

Well, it’s fun to play with but seems that if I use more than 40% Caryn, it starts to look awful. Probably could have done something almost exactly like this without Caryn with the morphs I already had... 

4F9F286A-FEA0-4A3F-951B-01584DAA92AD.jpeg
    1000 x 1300 - 298K
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,321

The unremitting horror continues. surprise

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    @wonderland what you are coming up with is really very good
  • BurstAngelBurstAngel Posts: 761
    Thank you Divamakeup, for showing some real big babies. As a mom I appreciate it. I miss those fat rolls!
  • RainRain Posts: 335

I found it easy to make a cute toddler/older baby. So this is a useful base. Here's the setting. Make your own child! 

Altern8 gave her a nice rosy tint.

Now that's cute!

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

As with any character base, they are better considered as potential *ingredients* rather than as standalone models. They *aren't* standalone models. That's the *point*.

I tend to agree that at first sight, a gender split doesn't appear necessary, since a baby figure isn't going to have gens anyway, but iirc, starting with G3 the polycount between the male and female bases is no longer the same so of you intend to dial them in with any other male or female figure you're going to need one of each to mix from.

I do agree that the lack of a separate body/head morph is higly inconvenient. And it might be useful to be able to dial in the fat rolls at different strengths. (I know somebody posted a "smooth" version of Baby Luna - who also has fat rolls - over on ShareCg.)

And I also am looking forward to whether any PAs are going to use these for starting points for other things, like the rather wonderful selection of fantasy characters that were based on K4.  

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    JOdel said:

As with any character base, they are better considered as potential *ingredients* rather than as standalone models. They *aren't* standalone models. That's the *point*.

I tend to agree that at first sight, a gender split doesn't appear necessary, since a baby figure isn't going to have gens anyway, but iirc, starting with G3 the polycount between the male and female bases is no longer the same so of you intend to dial them in with any other male or female figure you're going to need one of each to mix from.

I do agree that the lack of a separate body/head morph is higly inconvenient. And it might be useful to be able to dial in the fat rolls at different strengths. (I know somebody posted a "smooth" version of Baby Luna - who also has fat rolls - over on ShareCg.)

And I also am looking forward to whether any PAs are going to use these for starting points for other things, like the rather wonderful selection of fantasy characters that were based on K4.  

Isn't there a script to separate out head and body morphs someplace?

• JOdel said:

Ahhh, I really hope we see some neat fantasy/sci-fi creatures for these figures!

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    JOdel said:

Isn't there a script to separate out head and body morphs someplace?

XMorphs, but I've been trying and it's not working.

Laurie

• azoohouse said:

:D

Aww, that's so much sweeter than the sentiments I grumbled about early this morning. Maybe I will also adopt. After all, I do understand know what it's like being adopted. ;) <ponders a bit more>

Yes, I will pick up one of the bases with my coupon. I want to get both, & maybe that baby hair but those will have to be wishlisted, alas. (Our budget has gone You-know-where in a Handbasket, due to having to replace 1 vehicle and repair another.)