35th Daz3D Bryce Render challenge. The theme is ~#~ "Abstract" ~#~

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited April 2019 in Bryce Discussion

35th Daz3D Bryce Render challenge                       

Now Sponsored by Daz 3D                                                     

Theme for this challenge is   ~#~ Abstract ~#~            

*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*·._.·´*`·._.·*

What is Abstract.

Well as artists we are used to thinking of Abstracts as paintings that use shapes, lines, and colour in a way that does not try to represent the appearance of people or things

However the word does have other connotations as well. 
                                                  Something existing as an idea, feeling, or quality, not as a material object:
                                        An abstract argument or discussion is general and not based on particular examples:
                                     A short form of a speech, article, book, etc., giving only the most important facts or ideas.

Your imagination is the only limit

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before the render is transferred to the actual Contest thread for judging. You don't have to do that.we collect up all the finished ones and make the thread, with each render given a number and title, but no artist name shown, so it's a blind judging thread for the judging panel.

Rules

• 

All renders must be new renders.
  • 

You can enter up to 3 renders.
  • 

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS
  • 

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.
  • 

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.
  • 

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.
  •  

Please don't post your entry renders anywhere else until after the Challenge is judged, as judging is done in a blind judging thread, so the Judges don't know who has done which image.

Challenge ends May 31st 2019:- Midnight DAZ 3D time

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist place $30     2nd place $20     3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honourable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by a poll which will be set up at closure of the challenge.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Nice theme :) I like how there is "expanded meaning" to Bryce challenges themes (like with previous one "robot" could be anything from Dalek to Ancient Greece theatre mechanism)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,981

Wow - lovely theme ... looking forward to seeing the entries

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2019

Hmmm, I'm thinking this theme might get abstract devil

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,754

Nice theme,

I might want to create a summary of some sorts.

Kind regards,

Hans

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,103
    edited April 2019

My first entry.
    Name: Owl Head.
    Used: Alien Artefact 4 from MatCreator; Lenses and Filters & Hypertexture Base by David Brinnen and Horo.

Owl Head

OwlHead.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 407K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HenryhorHenryhor Posts: 258

This owl has something lovecraftian. Like it.

• Oh, interesting but difficult topic. Not my strength, but I want to try it.

@ Horo: Owl Head is a true color blast. Fascinating to look at it longer.

By contrast, my first entry has become quite boring.
    I call it the dance:

The Dance.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 1M

@ drachenlords: elegant ballet. Must be somewhere in Shangai

Horo - a magnificent start to the challenge

Drachenlords - wow awesome dancing abstract

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,092

Horo : great entry, the colours are very well chosen.

drachenlords : there is a lot of movement in that scene !

Henryhor - thank you.

drachenlords - thank you. Your The Dance entry is really nice, very good idea, inspired me -  indirectly - for my possible second entry.

mermaid - thank you.

adbc - thank you.

edited April 2019

My second entry.
    Name: Lippen (Lips).
    Used: Victoria 3 Base, an HDRI I made from an artwork by David Brinnen in 2007, a terrain, a torus, three cylinders, a spher and nine radials.

Lippen (Lips)

Lippen.jpg
    1200 x 840 - 340K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited April 2019

Very nice,Horo, and love the Drachenlords dancing version.

Jay...must get experimenting for this theme.

@ Horo: very dark. Could be Persephone.

• Thank you, Henryhor, Mermaid,Horo and Jamahoney.

@ Horo:Very cool. Reminds me somehow of a music video from the 80s.
    Interesting effect on the edges.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444

@horo...  Owl Head is gorgeous... a lot of depth,  Lippen is very cool... love the textured reflections
    @drachenlords... The Dance... very fluid ... great reflections

Jamahoney. Thank you Jay.

Henryhor - thank you.

drachelords - thank you; also for the inspiration, even though it doesn't look like as your entry at all.

mtnmen - thank you.

• @ mtnmen: Thank you.

@ Horo: I'm glad if my picture was an inspiration for you.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,092

Horo : Lippen is very nice, very cool texture effect.

Horo - Lippen is magnificent, I like the frosty-like texture, so cool

• My second entry:

Alice D

Alice D.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited April 2019

Wow, certainly a super lit abstract, Drachenlords...well done.

Jay

• Thank you, Jay.

drachenlords - thank you. Alice D is a very colourful work, I like it a lot.

adbc - thank you.

mermaid - thank you.

• Thank you, Horo.

Here my last Entry:

Inside the Hypercube

Inside the Hypercube.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited April 2019

Very complex, Drachenlords...reflections of Escher...me thinks.

Such works like yours and others are prooving that abstracts aren't always simply composed, but need thought to construct (I say this, as abstracts are generally easy to produce, but there is, perhaps, an underlying structure, intent and perhaps a philosphy of sorts to project such works of note ignored or forgotten).

Phew, heavy stuff, and makes it harder for us, then!

Jay

PS. Did a wonderful 20-week amateur, philosophical course years back...super stuff...opened the mind surely.

@ drachenlords: entry 2 is very joyful. Funfair atmosphere.. Reminds of a roller coaster. Entry 3 is escheresque indeed. Very well done.

• @ Jay: Thank you. Yes, there is no denying that Escher was my inspiration here, my picture being just a faint copy of his brilliant idea.
    Abstract is a topic that can be challenging if you really want to give some food for thought in the picture.
    And a phylosophy course can only open the mind, I think - even if it may feel in some places, as if the head knots. At least I was here in this picture so;)

@ Henryhor: Thank you.

drachenlords - now Inside the Hypercube is fantastic, reminds me of Escher's "Relativität" and "Oben und Unten". Getting all this weird perspectives right is mind boggling. I've tried the simpler "Andere Welten" last year (https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/135641/show-us-your-bryce-renders-part-10/p45) but it took me very long and I had to start several times. What you've done here is really extraordinary.

Drachenlords - Wow both your entries are outstanding, truly awesome. I am also trying something similar not really similar  following David's tutorial Bryce quick scene project – make an M C Escher-esque space.wink