Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited April 2019

MelanieL - thank you.

Post edited by Horo on
  • adbcadbc Posts: 3,098
    edited April 2019

MelanieL : thank you !

My second entry : virus. A few objects from the critters collection from MatCreator, a sphere, a mirror and an HDRI.

Virus.jpg
    973 x 486 - 139K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited April 2019

Horo: three colourful abstracts. I think I like your Lips best of your three entries.

Drachenlords: Fantastic works. Wonderful Escher-inspired work. However, I prefer the dance, because of the colours, I think.

Mermaid: Your Crazy Clown looks like a scare alien to me. Well done.

Adbc: Wonderful colours in the train station perspective abstract. And while I am not a big fan of viruses, the one you made is fantastic!

MelanieL: Lovely curls and whirls. I wonder what it would look like with a more pronounced colour-scheme?

Tim82: Three very nice blue abstracts in a row. I prefer the first one, probably because it is the kind of abstract I tend to make once and again. The third one comes a bit dark on my screen.

So, I decided to go outside of the box again. You know I like my abstracts. You might not know, that I also use old-fashioned techniques to create visual images (drawing and painting) and in those cases, I also sometimes do abstracts. However, this is a Bryce contest, so I decided to put some of them in a Bryce art museum. However, there is one work in there, that is clearly not abstract. That is my entry to a contest ‘Lang leve Rembrandt’ (Long live Rembrandt). It is a pastel drawing, based on a self-portrait as a young man by the great painter. I called it ‘No young Rembrandt’, because neither I am a young Rembrandt in quality of painting, nor is the portrait a perfect copy of the Rembrandt. I took the young man through my painting ‘Photoshop’, to make it a less typical rough Rembrandt face (Rembrandt has a thick nose and rather deep lying sleepish eyes). I wonder whether Rembrandt would have made himself more generally attractive using Photoshop or similar in these days of showing yourself better than you are?

If the jury likes the photo of my work, they may select it for a second round, to have a personal look. If they then still like it a lot, it may get a place in the Rijksmuseum during a special exhibition. I don’t expect anything, because more than 8000 works have been submitted and there will only be limited space. Nevertheless, I keep my fingers crossed. For a better view, I add the actual photo of the 'No young Rembrandt' as well.

Name of the work: #langleveRembrandt !

museumroom4.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Geen jonge Rembrandt.jpg
    2569 x 2674 - 4M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited April 2019

Nice challenge, great images so far. Especially liked Mermaid01 and Horo’s third image.

My first entry, which I envisioned when I first read 

the theme, turned out almost exactly as I “saw” it (which rarely happens!). 

Title: “Private Gallery”.

The center picture created in Bryce and the 2 side pictures were created in Aromatic 7.

Genesis 2 figure, outfit and hair from DAZ3D. Posed in DS 4.6.

Potted plants by Lisa’s Botanicals.

Room and Bench modeled in Modo.

Illuminate by 4 Sphere Dome lights at 32RPP, TA enabled.

Thanks for taking a look!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/323691/why-will-genesis-8-female-not-load-any-more#latest
    Privite_Gallery.jpg
    1200 x 720 - 111K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • HenryhorHenryhor Posts: 258

@ Tim82: three very nice renders. Have a preference for the first: soothing.

@ adbc: interesting composition. Makes me think of Georges Mathieu.

@ Hansmar: the visitors seem to appreciate the Rembrandt. Can understand them. Like the reflective balls in the corners.

@ Dan Whiteside: a good way to show several pictures at the same time. Neat render. Like it.

edited April 2019

The caged scream. 100% Bryce.

cagedscream.jpg
    1600 x 800 - 342K
    Post edited by Henryhor on

Hansmar : thank you. Excellent image, people seems to like Rembrandt, the abstracts are very colourful. Good idea to mix them together in a bryce art musem.

Dan Whiteside : Awesome render.

Henryhor : thank you. Very attractive render, cool idea.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996

Thanks everyone for the nice comments smiley

Adbc - fascinating Train Station, lots of depth. The Virus - beautiful entry, lovely colors

MelanieL- superb Curls and Whirls, love the warm earthy colors

Tim - excellent abstracts, love all of them

Hansmar - lovely idea and well done render, the Rembrandt painting is awesome

Dan Whiteside - magnificent render, the lighting is perfect

Henryhor- wow great modelling and render.

adbc - beautiful forms and colours - even though it's a virus. But then, many of us have a Bryce virus.

Hansmar - thank you. Nice gallery with the reflecting lamps - and of course Rembrandt.

Dan - thank you. Well done gallery and nicely lit. Great pictures on the wall.

Henryhor - very well done surreal abstract.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,139

adbc: Virus makes a virus seem almost desireable - nice work!

Hansmar: thank you - I've tried a brightened-up version (attached - NAE) to see.
    And I like your #langleveRembrandt gallery image - that's a neat idea. As for your "Rembrandt selfie" that's pretty good too - good luck with that competition.

Dan Whiteside: Private Gallery is very nicely done, with great lighting. Those outer pictures look interesting - what is "Aromatic 7" (Google can't seem to find anything likely, just lots of references to organic chemicals)?

Henryhor: The caged scream is very imaginative - weird, wonderful and a little bit Dali-esque.

mermaid010: thank you.

Curls and Whirls Brighter.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 624K
    edited April 2019

Entry #2 The Eye of the Daisy

The result of an experiment with David Brinnen's tutorial on recursive abstract HDRI backdrops. I wondered what would happen if I used a symmetrical arrangement of several reflective spheres (he had three) and I added an outer torus, just for fun. This is after three recursions. I quite liked the result (a very symmetrical square image) but wondered what would happen if I did a 360-panoramic render. Since it looked a bit like an eye on its side, I rotate the resulting image by 90 degrees and got this. (Click for full size - I reduced it so as not to stretch the post too far)

The Eye of the Daisy.jpg
    512 x 1024 - 559K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

MelanieL - The Eye of the Daisy looks like a painting. Very nicely done.

edited April 2019

Dan Whiteside: It looks like your idea and mine were slightly similar. (Un)fortunately, my ideas never turn out as I envisage. My ideas always change when I am working on a piece (whether it is a painting or a render). Sometimes the result is better, but sometimes I also do not come to a good result. However, your version is great, with lovely light.

Henryhor: I don't know why, but I get a smile on my face when looking at your render. Indeed surreal, Daliesque and very well done.

MelanieL: I like the ligher version better, I think. And the daisy is a beautiful abstract, full of spring colours.

My second entry, or perhaps still only a Work in Progress: "To the core". Maybe I think it is too busy, so I'll try some other versions too, I think. But I already wanted to show this version anyway. Largely geometric forms with various textures and two arms from a Genesis female as well as her eyes, nostrils and lips. Of course, the arms and facial features are not with their original texture, but with some Bryce created texture.

cont_may1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1015K

mermaid, Horo, MelanieL : thank you.

MelanieL : The Eye of the Daisy :vibrant colours, excelent abstract.

Hansmar : To the core : very cool render !

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

@ MelanieL: beautiful flower. And nice variation on Curls & Whirls. I think I prefer this version.

@ Hansmar: very dynamic

Horo, adbc, Henryhor: Thank you for your comments.

Hansmar: Thanks too (but I can't decide whether to swap over the versions now!) To the Core is very striking already.

edited April 2019

Henrhor, adbc, Mermaid, Horo, MelanieL: thanks.

I did redo the 'to the core'. Indeed, it was very dynamic, but the grid bothered me too much. I modified it and got the next version. I think it is better, less busy to the eyes, but still full of perspective and asking more questions, than giving answers.

I may however redo it again somehow.

cont_may2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 711K
  • drachenlordsdrachenlords Posts: 821

@ MelanieL: Thank you. The Eye of the Daisy is really like a painting. I agree with Horo.

@ adbc: Virus is a great picture. These green elements on the left are reminiscent of the matrix, which could be a computer virus.

@ Hansmar: Thank you. Your Rembrandt picture is an excellent work. Abstract in the picture and as a picture is really meant to be outside of the box. Really good.
    To the core seems very mature for me. Such a picture I can imagine well on the wall of a modern apartment. Top!

@ Dan Whiteside: Very good picture. Good Illuminated and beautiful pictures in the gallery.

@ Henryhor: The caged scream is a great work, especially since it's pure Bryce. Really good job.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996

MelanieL - The Eye of the Daisy is beautiful, love the colors

Hansmar - To the Core, I like the 2nd version, unusual idea, well done.

drachenlords : thank you.

Hansmar :  To the core : I think I prefer the second version !

drachenlords, mermaid010: Thank you.

Hansmar: On balance, I think I like the second version of "to the core" better too - the face parts are a lot more obvious in this one, although I quite liked the extra colour and depth that the structure on the left had with the grid showing through in the first version.

MelanieL - by the way, I prefer the first version of Curls and Whirls, it doesn't look dark to me and the second version has lost some contrast.

Hansmar - To the Core looks very nice, I prefer the second one, it is easier to the eye (less distraction).

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,981

Hansmar - Does this mean You came over from traditional ??

Henryhor -The caged scream
     very nice _ _reminds of Richard M. Powers

Drachenlords, Mermaid, adbc, MelanieL, Horo: Thanks. Yes, I agree that, on balance, the second version is more mature.

ed3D: Well, yes. I have been painting and drawing for many years on a more or less regular basis, quite some time before I started on 3D. Though I also started with 3D several years ago. I still regularly paint and or draw, expanding my technique, using new material, trying new approaches. More or less what I do in 3D as well.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited May 2019

Many thanks for the comments -’tis appreciated.

MelanieL - That should be Artmatic 7. That’s what happens when one doesn’t check the spell-checker.It’s a Mac only graphics synth. It can be found here:http://www.uisoftware.com/artmatic/indexAMinfo.html/ . Really liked your “ring” abstract. Looks like metal sculpture.

Hansmar  - Similar indeed and surprising  we posted within minutes of each other. Excellent abstracts, especially your last one.

Henryhor - great abstract shapes and good use of Bryce primatives/textures.

Bryce Gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/10dulcbue/

Voyager 4 Gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/16xw3g6au/

Post edited by Dan Whiteside on

@ Hansmar: second version is much better. Much more depth, almost dizzying.

Thanks to all for the comments. Didn't know Richard M. Powers but seems he was himself influenced by Yves Tanguy, among others.

Dan Whiteside: Mac only - grrr! Thanks for the info though.

edited May 2019

Hansmar:  Yeah_ i did also _

Henryhor:   one could suppose that You also have seen R.M. Powers    _  just didn't  reconnoiter the name

Post edited by ed3D on
    edited May 2019

_and was supposeing

the Title of  Atom Heart Mother

Atom-Heart-Mother_CHR-2AF.jpg
    1133 x 850 - 205K
    Post edited by ed3D on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

realy nice renders, great work people!!! :)