Heroes, Heroines and 3D Graphics - July Freebie Contest

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2012

music2u4u said:
    one tip that may help in Bryce, Poser or DS. In the materials or surfaces tab, If you turn the diffusion setting down to zero (black), the specular to mid and use the ambient adjuster and go up very high with it, you get a toon like look to colors. May work for some.

:-)

In DS I don't think that will work - Ambient is multiplied with Diffuse (as it should be, if it's faking ambient light) so setting Diffuse the black will make the Ambient black too.

And Ambience in Bryce is used to make thing glow, when applied at 100%, well in B5 anyway, which is what LG and I use. If I had applied some trans to V4 when I did that I would have hdad a lovely glowing ghost. lol

Dollygirl, don't worry, my friends over in the Bryce forum came up with some nice hints and tips, if I get time to play.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    DanaTA said:
    chohole said:
    Well I did have a play in Bryce, using the foramt Music suggested. I don't think it will be a lot of good.

That's funny! I needed a laugh. Or a chuckle at least. Store things have not been kind to me the past couple of days! I'm not in the best of moods.

Dana

Dana, It has been updated for DAZ4.0 but I don't know about 4.5.

Thanks...I don't have 4.5, I am not about to be a beta tester right now!

Dana

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    music2u4u said:
    one tip that may help in Bryce, Poser or DS. In the materials or surfaces tab, If you turn the diffusion setting down to zero (black), the specular to mid and use the ambient adjuster and go up very high with it, you get a toon like look to colors. May work for some.

In DS I don't think that will work - Ambient is multiplied with Diffuse (as it should be, if it's faking ambient light) so setting Diffuse the black will make the Ambient black too.

And Ambience in Bryce is used to make thing glow, when applied at 100%, well in B5 anyway, which is what LG and I use. If I had applied some trans to V4 when I did that I would have hdad a lovely glowing ghost. lol

Dollygirl, don't worry, my friends over in the Bryce forum came up with some nice hints and tips, if I get time to play.

Oh goody! Now that the PC coupon is out things may quite down some and what with tomorrow being a holiday in the USA maybe tomorrow you will have some time to play.

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited July 2012

chohole said:
    music2u4u said:

I did this one with Aiko 3 in DS 3. Here are the surfaces settings:

Color/diffuse - 255,191,158
    Highlight/Specular - 0, 0, 0
    Shadow/Ambient - 255, 255, 255

The diffuse/ambient did turn black like Richard said, well...more of a rich gray. So, I just set the diffuse to a close pale flesh color.

I then removed any textures on the skin, lips and eyes. I colored the irises blue and removed the cornias,colored the lips red.

Here is what I got rendering in the toon setting.

AikoToonDaz1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 243K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

hmmm....let's see what this month's freebie challenge is about.....

You will be required to use toon or artistic shaders

Is that so? Heh heh heh.......This is gonna be fun :)
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

since it's the 4th of July, US independence day I'll post my one of my fav renders to celebrate
    Happy 4th those who cemebrate

we_the_people.jpg
    1386 x 872 - 732K
    edited December 1969

no offense to those we defeated to win that war

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:

Maybe we were really glad to lose and get rid of a troublesome Colony (just joking) :coolsmirk:

Happy 4th to all who celebrate it.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    jeeperz said:

Maybe we were really glad to lose and get rid of a troublesome Colony (just joking) :coolsmirk:

Happy 4th to all who celebrate it.

:lol:

love ya cho

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl, are you still looking for judges? I should have some time this month and the beginning of August, and it looks like I won't be entering this month...

(Not only are my PWToon shaders not working, my other shaders are starting to malfunction, too. I've got a software glitch somewhere. Time to re-install Daz Studio...)

edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Dollygirl, are you still looking for judges? I should have some time this month and the beginning of August, and it looks like I won't be entering this month...

(Not only are my PWToon shaders not working, my other shaders are starting to malfunction, too. I've got a software glitch somewhere. Time to re-install Daz Studio...)

:down:
    Yes sir, I only have me as a judge so far. Would love to have you. Do I have any more takers?
    Lonnie
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    chohole said:
    music2u4u said:

The diffuse/ambient did turn black like Richard said, well...more of a rich gray. So, I just set the diffuse to a close pale flesh color.

I then removed any textures on the skin, lips and eyes. I colored the irises blue and removed the cornias,colored the lips red.

So are you thinking of entering? Hay should be done until August. Only berries are coming off this month (at least in Oregon that is true) so you got plenty of "time".

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:

Yes sir, I only have me as a judge so far. Would love to have you. Do I have any more takers?
    Lonnie

This will be my first time judging - I'm looking forward to it!

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:

Lonnie

Sign me up! I'm having an awful time getting stuff to work and getting something I want to show in public, Bryce or not. Studio seems to be confused as to what I'm trying to achieve and Bryce just down right refuses to play nice. So, since I can't sing I might as well criticize...or something like that.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    robkelk said:

Lonnie

Sign me up! I'm having an awful time getting stuff to work and getting something I want to show in public, Bryce or not. Studio seems to be confused as to what I'm trying to achieve and Bryce just down right refuses to play nice. So, since I can't sing I might as well criticize...or something like that.
    Thanks LG, you are on. If your muse comes back and she will you know you can still enter and we won't let you forget to not vote for your own!
    Lonnie

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:
    chohole said:
    music2u4u said:

So are you thinking of entering? Hay should be done until August. Only berries are coming off this month (at least in Oregon that is true) so you got plenty of "time".

Yeah but, I got no shaders! Only ones for my cars.

:smirk:

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:
    chohole said:
    music2u4u said:

Yeah but, I got no shaders! Only ones for my cars.

:smirk:

Well I think a graphic novel about cars might prove to be interesting. If Disney can do it so can you! You can use Eustace's shaders. See this entry for the links:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3187/P15/#41507
    ;-P No more excuses for you!

edited July 2012

DANG!...I couldn't do a reply! I was logged in, I come to this page, and no reply or post buttons. I look, it says to log in! I click the log in button and it throws me to my account page! I click the back button, it says to log in...I go back to the home page, it says I am logged in!

unbelievable!

anyway, I had to do a browser wash to get the log in page, then I logged in again and finally got a post and reply buttons to show here. Funny thing is, I can leave the site for 5 minutes, come back, and it asks me to log in again, so I have to type out my email addy and password. Don't know why it won't remember me.

So, I wanted to post something for Lord Ganthor....the 57 chevy you used in last months entry, "Car Wash", I wanted you to see that I fixed the stray metal triangles stretched across the grill, and also the grill holes that were blocked in. Here is what it should look like. (there are two useing the same car...a hardtop and a convertible. This is the convertible. Still the same car though.)

Car_Wash.jpg
    612 x 700 - 272K
    1957ChevyConvertible.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 109K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited July 2012

I thought I would have a go at this.

I found the no postwork clause very hampering, I only have a 32 bit system and constantly run into memory problems, if I need more items in an image than my comp can handle I render in layers and compile in photoshop. I wanted to use more than 1 Rancor but DS just crashed.

Hope I got it right

Rendered in DS4 Pro

Paid for

M5
    Guns are from Utilizes Hardcore
    PWToon

Freebies.
    *Volg jacket http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=61132
    *Boxer Shirt http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62665
    Hair
    *http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=26802
    Rancor
    http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?ClassificationID=1..
    *Arick for M4 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=53408
    *Bossy Boots 2 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=59435
    *Jeans Adzans Small Sins http://www.sharecg.com/v/36258/gallery/11/Poser/small-sins
    Mega City
    http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/3d9own.htm
    Trashcan, Coke cup and burger box
    http://trekkiegrrrl.dk/main.htm
    *Pose is by Pixeluna
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=59381

* Registration required

Most Digital creations
    Lighter 12th down http://www.most-digital-creations.com/free_poser_poses_textures_morphs_props_25.htm
    Andrew M5
    http://www.most-digital-creations.com/andrew_m5.htm

Edited to make corrections to text and links

comic1.jpg
    800 x 565 - 221K
    Post edited by scorpio on
  • Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    DANG!...I couldn't do a reply! I was logged in, I come to this page, and no reply or post buttons. I look, it says to log in! I click the log in button and it throws me to my account page! I click the back button, it says to log in...I go back to the home page, it says I am logged in!

When this happen, log out at the account page, then log in again.

Nice work on the car. :-)
    And speaking of cars I believe I just made a decision I will regret, I turned down an offer for long ride in a Ford GT 40 (it's a look-a-like, but a good one). Some friends of mine are going to a meet/track-day, a 300km trip one way. Problem is at the end of the trip waits a tent and rain. :down:

Cheers! Oom

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

unbelievable!

Yeah, as Oom says, once you get caught that way you need to do what Riachard has crhistened the "logout login dance" I had avoided it until this morning, when I too got caught by the wretched getting logged out in the middle of doing something like making a post. Some who have experienced it regularly have got into the habit of copying their post (if it's a longish one) before hitting the button to post a reply.
  • Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    music2u4u said:

unbelievable!

Yeah, as Oom says, once you get caught that way you need to do what Riachard has crhistened the "logout login dance" I had avoided it until this morning, when I too got caught by the wretched getting logged out in the middle of doing something like making a post. Some who have experienced it regularly have got into the habit of copying their post (if it's a longish one) before hitting the button to post a reply.

That's ME! Yup, the clipboard is my friend... it is my friend... my friend... my... what was I saying?

Oh, yeah! My Account->Logout->Log In ever since the betas.

Kendall

edited December 1969

I thought I would have a go at this.

I found the no postwork clause very hampering, I only have a 32 bit system and constantly run into memory problems, if I need more items in an image than my comp can handle I render in layers and compile in photoshop. I wanted to use more than 1 Rancor but DS just crashed.

Hope I got it right

Paid for

M5
    Guns are from Utilizes Hardcore
    PWToon

Freebies.
    Volg jacket http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=61132
    Boxer Shirt http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62665
    Hair
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=26802
    Rancor
    http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?ClassificationID=1..
    Arick for M4 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=53408
    Bossy Boots 2 http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=59435
    Jeans Adzans Small Sins http://www.sharecg.com/v/36258/gallery/11/Poser/small-sins
    Mega City
    http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/3d9own.htm
    Trashcan, Coke cup and burger box
    http://trekkiegrrrl.dk/main.htm
    Pose is by Pixeluna
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=59381

Most Digital creations
    Lighter
    Andrew M5

Thank you for entering scorpio64dragon. A very nice render. You have it almost correct. For your renderosity and sharecg links we like to indicate that you must register to get these freebies. I usually put a * at the end of the line to indicate that registration is required but you can do any thing you want. We would also like to see the links to Adam's stuff you used. I took the liberty and they are below.
    Andrew M5
    Lighter 12th down
    And the last thing we like to see is what you rendered in. Since you say you used PWToon it is kind of obivious you were using DAZStudio but which one? We are interested.

Like I said you have a nice render. Sounds like you found the challenge a challenge. That is one of the purposes of the freebie contest try and get the best from the render machine. Now that you have entered the "raw" image, you can go in and do postwork if you want. You can say the postworked image is NAE and perlk will not put it in the gallery.

Thanks for entering and check you PMs for the link and password to my shaders.
    Lonnie

edited December 1969

So I thought you guys needed some more options:

NAE - This example is showing a technique of outlining your scene using a script called Edger. This is yet another way that you can create your comic scene.

To install Edger in DAZ Studio 3:

Copy and paste the directory xextria into your :Program Files:DAZ 3D:DAZStudio3:Scripts:support:
    Copy and paste the file Edger.dse into your User account DAZ3D directory. So what is a User account? For me it is located here,

c:Users:XP451:AppData:Roaming:DAZ 3D:Studio3:DAZ Built-in Content:Scripts:Utilities

To install Edger in DAZ Studio 4:

Copy and paste the directory xextria into your :Program Files:DAZ 3D:DAZStudio4:Scripts:support:
    Copy and paste the file Edger.dse into your :Studio4:Scripts:Utilities:

Once you have installed the script, go into Studio and find the Edger.dse. In DAZ3 I found it under the DAZ Built-in Content directory. DAZ4 was under Scripts. Once you click on the dse you will need to go to the Render tab advanced settings. To turn on the edger select Scripted 3Delight in the Use Software dropdown menu.

When you have Scripted 3Delight selected you will get a new set of options called Outline, Edge Fade-out, File Export and RIB Export.This is where you can control color, width, fade and type of edge. My setting for the sample images was outline edge width of 0.0007 and 91,91,91 for edge color.

Here are the links to the zip and the user manual.

Zips:
    http://xextria.com/edger/

User Manual (translated to English):
    http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=ja&to=en&a=http://xextria.com/edger/parameters/#FileExportRenderToFile

Below are is an example of what Edger looks like.

Render04.jpg
    900 x 400 - 191K
    edited December 1969

Another demo, this time using Poser so please forgive the crudeness of the render. I used the following site to learn about Poser and how to use Poser to render my scene more like a toon.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DutchWorkingMan/videos?view=0 The first video.

Here are the freebies I used in the render:
    NAE Taking Samdi out for the first time,

Background City by Most Digital Creations.
    Background Sign of the Times 6 by Alaena.* This is a Carrara file so does not count in the freebie requirements.
    Conversation Text Balloons Props by MeshWorks. *
    Deco Deco Version 3 by akatora.
    Deco:Dress one night stand by akatora.
    Deco:Poses Deco3 Poses by DragonessD. *
    Decoco Little Deco ""Decoco"" by akatora.
    Decoco:Friend Samdi by Netherworks Studios.
    Decoco:Hair:Dress:Shoes NewTwinTails & TwoSimpleDresses by akatora.
    Various Surfaces jw Toon Poser shaders for Comic and Cartoon Artists by J Webster.

* Registration is required. Rendered in PoserPro 2010. Postwork to add words to balloon and signature. Car is from the free content that came with PoserPro 2010.

Mr. Webster has packed the shader file with lots of colors including flesh tones. They only work in Poser.

Hope you all are having fun!

Lonnie

test2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 271K
  • perlkperlk Posts: 840
    edited December 1969

Hi all, just wanted to say I'm back from Vegas, now I'm sporting a new last name and a whole lotta dehydration (it is HOT out there!).

Congrats to June winners. I'll have July's gallery up before the end of the weekend. I might or might not enter in July, depending on my work schedule, but I might throw a "NAE" in there somewhere!

edited July 2012

Ooh am I going to be the first to say congrats to the new Mrs whoojit. :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 840
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Ooh am I going to be the first to say congrats to the new Mrs whoojit. :coolsmirk:

Thank you! My new last name is Brasfield, sounds very regal, doesn't it? :-)

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited July 2012

First time trying to do toon renders. I find that you can already do some good thing with DS3 default preset Shaders

Title : Flee !

Belt and Harness from Cosplay costume 12 http://www.sharecg.com/v/52885/View/11/Poser/Cosplay-costume-12 [Registration]
    Scatha G11 http://www.sharecg.com/v/42558/View/11/Poser/ScathaG11 [Registration]
    K-Azonica Security Bot http://www.sharecg.com/v/44726/View/11/Poser/K-Azonica-Security-Bot [Registration]
    Aery soul Bodice from Aermy web.archive.org/web/20101204211440/http://www.aerysoul.com/downloads/AS-Aermy.zip
    Outoftouch's Flexy Hair http://www.outoftouch.de/OOT_CG/container/bicootflexyhair.zip
    Bossy Boots for V4 http://www.sharecg.com/v/29103/poser/Bossy-Boots-for-Vicki-4 [Registration]
    Flame from Adam Thwaites http://www.most-digital-creations.com/flame.htm
    Mask for V4 from Adam Thwaites http://www.most-digital-creations.com/MaskV4.zip
    Corridor from Uzilite New Adventure V4 Suit http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62568 [Registration]

Character is V4 default.
    Rendered in DS 4.5 with toon presets from DAZ's default shader presets

Render_61x800.jpg
    800 x 450 - 230K
    Post edited by Takeo.Kensei on
    edited December 1969

perlk said:
    chohole said:

Thank you! My new last name is Brasfield, sounds very regal, doesn't it? :-)

Ohh yes, that is nice. as you say, very regal. I am a Davies, one of the most common surnames in Wales. Mind you my late husband (from whom I got the name) insists that it a name linked to old welsh Royalty. I refuse to give it up, even though himself and I have been together over 20 years I still keep my nice Welsh name.