What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 351
    edited January 2019
    Batch .obj and .fbx import and export, please (unless this is already available and I just havnt figured out how yet).
    Batch .obj and .fbx import and export, please (unless this is already available and I just havnt figured out how yet).

I have written some scripts for batch export, but they are really only fit for personal use at the moment as they have some features and make some assumptions based on my specific workflow.

However, batch import can be accomplished by simply dragging and dropping into DS. Hope this helps. 

- Greg

Scripting will let you do that, see in particular:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#importers
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#exporters

kyoto kid said:

...but what if you don't script or write code?  There are a lot of us do don't.

nemesis10 said:
    kyoto kid said:

Unfortunately or fortunately, this is a hobby that is partly about learning new things...  There is a long history here of people learning about how to kitbash, modify morphs and textures, compositing,  and learn new software etc... There is even a long running meme about the "Make Art" button...  Nonetheless, if an obscure feature is requested (most casual Daz Studio users never have to use .fbx and willnever batch export), one can either wait until the feature is added in a later version to Daz Studio or learn some elemetry scripting....

Thank you, algovincian and Richard Haseltine. I don't mind trying to learn new skills if it means simplifying and speeding up my work. Importing and exporting multiple .obj one at a time for the project I'm working on is getting tedious - especially when working with textures. Cutting out one or more steps is a definite help. And I love kitbashing. I'll try these techniques and scripting tuts out. Thanks again.

Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited January 2019
    nemesis10 said:
    kyoto kid said:

Unfortunately or fortunately, this is a hobby that is partly about learning new things...  There is a long history here of people learning about how to kitbash, modify morphs and textures, compositing,  and learn new software etc... There is even a long running meme about the "Make Art" button...  Nonetheless, if an obscure feature is requested (most casual Daz Studio users never have to use .fbx and willnever batch export), one can either wait until the feature is added in a later version to Daz Studio or learn some elemetry scripting....

...not everyone is cut out to write code though. I used to (pretty much in what are "dead languages" today), but quit a quarter century ago as the stress became overwhelming.  It wasn't so much the actual task itself, it was having to meet the impossible deadlines set by managers and CEOs who had absolutely no clue what was involved and expected us to simply snap our fingers and there it was.   It still leaves a bad taste to this day.  I also come from the old school of coding and much of the scripting I see today looks like what we used to refer to as "spaghetti code".

Kitbashing and modifying textures, that is different and I do it quite a bit.  Postwork is minimal (usually just applying filters) as I am unable to paint because of a very unsteady hand due to severe arthritis. I am getting back into modelling and applaud what the Blender community has done with the latest 2.8 Beta.  It's UI  has finally become more like that of other CG programmes with a pointer based setup right out of the box, tool Icons, and a tab setup (which eliminates the need for newcomers to memorise hotkeys and learn how to script at the outset).    

Daz does need batch and background rendering.  The old Reality plugin had it (which included pause and resume).  The 3DL standalone has it through the RIB setting.  Iray doesn't, so you need to keep the programme and scene open during the process which hogs extra system resources and does not allow one to work on a new project until the render process is finished.  Unfortunately with Iray, such changes (along with opening more of its capabilities and introducing out of core rendering like Octane has [the latter which would be a benefit to those who cannot afford high VRAM GPUs]) are not in the hands of Daz development, but Nvidia's.

It would also be helpful to have a native .3ds, .max, and .lwo import as well.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

*sigh* I keep finding lovely freebies in .3ds format. Being able to import those would be so helpful. The others probably would too.

edited January 2019

...that is precisely why.  So many "real world" models of vehicles, aircraft, and other items in that format.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • cathan01_wwg1wgacathan01_wwg1wga Posts: 351
    edited January 2019
    JOdel said:

*sigh* I keep finding lovely freebies in .3ds format. Being able to import those would be so helpful. The others probably would too.

I am in agreement yes

Post edited by cathan01_wwg1wga on
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,558
    JOdel said:

You can convert .3ds files online to .obj. and use them in DS. Or if you have Poser installed you can save them as a prop and import into DS.

As for a new DS feature I'd like to see.... a morph brush just like the Poser one.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    fred9803 said:
    JOdel said:

You can convert .3ds files online to .obj. and use them in DS. Or if you have Poser installed you can save them as a prop and import into DS.

As for a new DS feature I'd like to see.... a morph brush just like the Poser one.

Number one on my list. A morph brush. Would go soooooo far in helping to smooth, fit, do quick morphs.

Laurie

fred9803 said:
    JOdel said:

...however you often lose the material assignments and have to recreate all the Mat zones and even textures from scratch. Often all you get is a list of the individual mesh components (which can be extensive) and if they are in a foreign language you don't know, you are pretty much up the creek.  I converted a nice model of a bus which ended up like that and finally gave up on it as I had to even regroup things after figuring out what was what.  All the individual mesh components just had numbers, not even names.

edited January 2019

I got something like that when I used the online converter to get an .lwo model of a buick into .obj. I spent a couple of days in the geometry editor renaming things, grouping them, and generally assigning shaders to all the bits and pieces. Well, it would have been one day, but I had to redo it before I was satisfied. The doors don't open, but for the illo I was building all I really needed was a convincing prop.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • AalaAala Posts: 140
    edited January 2019

I would like to be able to rearrange and organize my objects and groups on my scene tab. A simple drag and drop feature. It's mind-boggling to me that it's not possible to do it already.

Post edited by Aala on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    JOdel said:

Totally agree here!  

edited January 2019
    AllenArt said:
    fred9803 said:
    JOdel said:

Number one on my list. A morph brush. Would go soooooo far in helping to smooth, fit, do quick morphs.

Laurie

I think d-Formers was supposed to be that but it's too fiddly.  I agree.  Some basic modeling options from within DAZ Studio like a push, pull and smoothing brush option with a panel for controlling what's happening would be very very helpful.  I don't always like to fire up ZBrush! 

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • AalaAala Posts: 140
    RAMWolff said:
    AllenArt said:
    fred9803 said:
    JOdel said:

Laurie

I think d-Force was supposed to be that but it's too fiddly.  I agree.  Some basic modeling options from within DAZ Studio like a push, pull and smoothing brush option with a panel for controlling what's happening would be very very helpful.  I don't always like to fire up ZBrush! 

You can already do that with Dformers. There's also an ability to paint a map with a brush for it.

edited January 2019
    Aala said:
    RAMWolff said:
    AllenArt said:
    fred9803 said:
    JOdel said:

Laurie

I think d-Force was supposed to be that but it's too fiddly.  I agree.  Some basic modeling options from within DAZ Studio like a push, pull and smoothing brush option with a panel for controlling what's happening would be very very helpful.  I don't always like to fire up ZBrush! 

You can already do that with Dformers. There's also an ability to paint a map with a brush for it.

That may be, but it's not very intuitive. Not like Poser's morph brush is. Just activate it and go. No adding other stuff beforehand, switching to tools a normal hobbyist rarely uses, etc. Most of the time when I need to do quick smoothing or fix something I jump to Hexagon, which isn't very intuitive either. Plus you have to save anything you do as a morph...all these things include extra steps that aren't necessary to a morph brush to fix a little bit of poke, pull out a nose tip, push in a cheek, etc. now and then.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Paradigm said:
    nicstt said:
    Paradigm said:

For the love of all that is holy fix pinning so they stay in place!

It worked fine for genesis 2 and below. Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 ignore hand and feet pinning entirely. Fix the pinning system!

I use pinning, and it stays put; have to use the poser tool though, for it to work.

... What do you mean then?

Load in a Genesis 8 figure, pose the hand or foot somewhere with the IK tool. Press the space bar to add a pin. Now grab the shoulder or torso or whatever you want and twist it using the IK tool (with or without the XYZ gizmo) and the pinned hand will drift, even when you're not "bottoming out" a limit. This happens with G3 as well. G2 and below that did not have this problem. They would stay frozen in place as expected unless you went beyond the limits of the a bone and even then the model would freak out and the pinned object would do it's best to stay in place. Now it's like a gentle suggestion vs an actual pin. They're essentially useless.

Ahhh, get you.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

I would like a color sampler like there is in Photoshop.  I have a hard time matching colors when I kit-bash different items, in certain situaltions. 

• tkdrobert said:

I would like a color sampler like there is in Photoshop.  I have a hard time matching colors when I kit-bash different items, in certain situaltions. 

Hold down alt/opt as you click on a colour chip, then - keeping the modifier key and mouse button down - drag out over the colour you wish to sample. Release mouse, then key

• Mentioned it before but I'd like to see the ability to sort the Content Library picture icons by date last accessed and/or date created or alphabetical.  Especially useful for finding scenes you were working on last month.  Yeah, yeah, one can use the Windows folder sorting mechanisms but I can also drive my car in the rain at night.  I'd rather not.

• I would like to see the ability to make the font size bigger.....  

Aala said:
    RAMWolff said:
    AllenArt said:
    fred9803 said:
    JOdel said:

Laurie

Sorry, changed my original post to D-Formers.  I meant that not D-Force!  LOL  I was all in a flurry yesterday with stuff going on around the house and my mind was a bit chaotic ... 

tkdrobert said:

Hold down alt/opt as you click on a colour chip, then - keeping the modifier key and mouse button down - drag out over the colour you wish to sample. Release mouse, then key

I had NO IDEA one could sample a color in the viewport with this key shortcut.  All these years... I had zero idea!  surprise

RAMWolff said:
    tkdrobert said:

I had NO IDEA one could sample a color in the viewport with this key shortcut.  All these years... I had zero idea!  surprise

Again, we really REALLY need a manual. LOL

Laurie

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited January 2019
    AllenArt said:
    RAMWolff said:
    tkdrobert said:

Again, we really REALLY need a manual. LOL

Laurie

+1 yes  I used to toot that horn but I'm all out of breath. frown  When I started, I had hair. indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    RAMWolff said:
    tkdrobert said:

Wow, me neither.  Thanks for the information.

...would still be nice though to have a sampler or "eyedropper" tool like other graphics programmes have. I never knew that was possible either until Richard's post above.  Who would just think to do that without knowing how the programme is wired?

Huh. It took me a while to find it, but I discovered that if you click on a color box in the surfaces tab and bring up the color wheel there is an eyedropper tool there. It does work, but it takes a couple of steps to even find it.

JOdel said:

Huh. It took me a while to find it, but I discovered that if you click on a color box in the surfaces tab and bring up the color wheel there is an eyedropper tool there. It does work, but it takes a couple of steps to even find it.

How do you bring up the color wheel?  I mean there is a color box, how do you bring up a wheel?  I’m confused. 

Mind you, this is 3DL, but I suspect that putting a color into a color well probably isn't significantly different in Iray. I didn't check whether there is an eyedropper in any of the other color sampling methods, but there *might* be.

Eyedropper.jpg
    1806 x 1749 - 204K

..i'd like to be able to click on an element in the viewport, like 2D programmes allow.

edited January 2019
    JOdel said:

Mind you, this is 3DL, but I suspect that putting a color into a color well probably isn't significantly different in Iray. I didn't check whether there is an eyedropper in any of the other color sampling methods, but there *might* be.

What version of DAZ are you using becuas none of those bring up a wheel.  I get that color square withe the square spamples.

Capture.PNG
    485 x 342 - 78K
    Post edited by tkdrobert on