What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Also in the MINOR improvement window , and I know this is minor: When you work in the Geometry Editor and click on create a new surface or facegroup from selected, it bring up a window for you to type the name of the group into BUT you have to click into that window in order to type in it. Would it be too much to ask that the cursor automatically be prompted to appear in the window since the next logical thing for me to do would be to type a name or hit cancel?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Small improvement, that I'd like to see: a small roll down menue in the "save morph assets" tab, in order to directley scroll to your custom Product or morph folder. Till now you allways have to type your name and the directory.

Same situation when saving as a Prop/Figure Asset. Sometimes I go on binges of converting clothes to later figures, and I'm fairly sure I haven't always been re-re-re-re-typing names in exactly the same way every time.

• Small improvement, that I'd like to see: a small roll down menue in the "save morph assets" tab, in order to directley scroll to your custom Product or morph folder. Till now you allways have to type your name and the directory.

Same situation when saving as a Prop/Figure Asset. Sometimes I go on binges of converting clothes to later figures, and I'm fairly sure I haven't always been re-re-re-re-typing names in exactly the same way every time.

If you create a specific folder separate from the default installation runtime and add it, DAZ Studio will have it as an option to select when creating/modifying stuff.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

My feature request for Daz Studio: Encode render time and data in the .jpg files. The same way that a digital camera or phone can record time, location, ISO, shutter speed or whatever, I'd like DS to include render time, number of iterations, maybe GPUs used, camera settings, etc. It'd make it easier to compare renders and see how long a render took vs the one you're currently working on. Just a thought.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

In the Scene tab alone, being able to select a set of items or a parent and right click to change the visibility, selectability, lock rotation, and lock translation by either the selected areas or the children of the selcted items.. I also want four columns to the left of the items in the list with the visibility eyeball, the selectability arrow and the two locks so i can do it all from there.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    Kitsumo said:

My feature request for Daz Studio: Encode render time and data in the .jpg files. The same way that a digital camera or phone can record time, location, ISO, shutter speed or whatever, I'd like DS to include render time, number of iterations, maybe GPUs used, camera settings, etc. It'd make it easier to compare renders and see how long a render took vs the one you're currently working on. Just a thought.

...Carrara already posts a similar report on screen in the render tab which includes total render time, polygon count, ray bounces etc.  That alone would be nice to have in Daz.

• Anti-aliased depth maps, plus motion vector maps

• nicstt said:

Use two instances of Studio, and Save what you want as subsets - then load in other instance.

You can't do that on the Mac. In most Mac apps, you can open multiple files at once. Not the case with DS

• I spend a lot of time in Second Life and various OpenSim worlds.  In the viewer for those, when you scroll the mouse wheel forward, the camera view moves closer to wherever your overall view is facing, and when you scroll the mouse wheel back, the view zooms outward to give you a more wide view of the location from farther away.  In Daz Studio, when you scroll the mouse wheel forward, the view in the viewport zooms AWAY from the item you're facing towards in the viewport, and when you scroll the mousewheel back, it zooms in closer.  This 180 degrees reversal between the two systems is utterly agraviating, because I spend so much time in both environments.

I would LOVE a way to change a setting in Daz Studio and have the mouse scrollwheel reverse those two directions, so that when I scroll the mousewheel forward, I zoom closer to what I'm looking at in Daz, and when I scroll the mousewheel back, it zooms away.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    nicstt said:

Use two instances of Studio, and Save what you want as subsets - then load in other instance.

You can't do that on the Mac. In most Mac apps, you can open multiple files at once. Not the case with DS

Actually, you can have 2 instances of DS, but not in the normal way - ie. launching it twice. You can open a 2nd instance by double-clicking a .duf file while DS is already open.

Caveat - This works on a pc. On a Mac, I don't know.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

I would like to see all of the bugs worked out of the most recent version before releasing anything new. Its not like there is pressure to get the next version out to maintain cash flow. New content takes care of that. Perfect one thing before you move on to the next.

SixDs said:

I would like to see all of the bugs worked out of the most recent version before releasing anything new. Its not like there is pressure to get the next version out to maintain cash flow. New content takes care of that. Perfect one thing before you move on to the next.

...yes

•  

maclean said:

Actually, you can have 2 instances of DS, but not in the normal way - ie. launching it twice. You can open a 2nd instance by double-clicking a .duf file while DS is already open.

You can't have two instances of any open at once on a Mac. I believe that's  more-or-less baked into the OS.  

maclean said:
    nicstt said:

• Another thing I'd like to have in DS is the ability to apply new image layers on top of, say, a piece of clothing, where it functions visibly a bit like adding a LIE layer, but where ALL of the visual properties of the new image can be independent of, additive to, or overuling of, the underlying layer.  I.e. the unaltered part of the clothing item can look bone dry like usual, but such that it would then be trivially easy to make a selected portion of the garment now look like its soaking wet, with the reflectivity changed to match what water would do.  I saw someone try to do something like that partially-wet-look where they had to resort to the geometry editor to add a new zone into the garment, and because of the goemetry of the garment not having a high enough vertices count, it came out with very, VERY notiicible, large stairstepping at the boundaries between very-wet and bone-dry, completely spoiling the effect he was going for.  0o

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Some modeling tools, arrays etc would be great!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    Vyusur said:

Some modeling tools, arrays etc would be great!

YUP, that would be nice.  Little fixes going back and forth to ZBrush or Hex is a bit time consuming.  Having those sorts of simple tools like push, pull, smooth and what not within DAZ Studio with an option to save out the fixes would be just fabulous! 

• What about a "GoBlend"? Works like GoZ, but as a bridge to Blender.

• What about a "GoBlend"? Works like GoZ, but as a bridge to Blender.

Loved the idea! It would be very good tools to support Blender users

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

For the love of all that is holy fix pinning so they stay in place!

It worked fine for genesis 2 and below. Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 ignore hand and feet pinning entirely. Fix the pinning system!

• Batch .obj and .fbx import and export, please (unless this is already available and I just havnt figured out how yet).
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574
    Batch .obj and .fbx import and export, please (unless this is already available and I just havnt figured out how yet).
    Batch .obj and .fbx import and export, please (unless this is already available and I just havnt figured out how yet).

I have written some scripts for batch export, but they are really only fit for personal use at the moment as they have some features and make some assumptions based on my specific workflow.

However, batch import can be accomplished by simply dragging and dropping into DS. Hope this helps. 

- Greg

• Another thing I'd like to have in DS is the ability to apply new image layers on top of, say, a piece of clothing, where it functions visibly a bit like adding a LIE layer, but where ALL of the visual properties of the new image can be independent of, additive to, or overuling of, the underlying layer.  I.e. the unaltered part of the clothing item can look bone dry like usual, but such that it would then be trivially easy to make a selected portion of the garment now look like its soaking wet, with the reflectivity changed to match what water would do.  I saw someone try to do something like that partially-wet-look where they had to resort to the geometry editor to add a new zone into the garment, and because of the goemetry of the garment not having a high enough vertices count, it came out with very, VERY notiicible, large stairstepping at the boundaries between very-wet and bone-dry, completely spoiling the effect he was going for.  0o

You can do that already - though not perhaps as easily as you describe - by creating a mask for the channels you want to vary. You may need a separate mask image for each channel.

Alternatively, buy the Oso Blendy Two Layer Shader for Iray - it appears to do exactly what you describe.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Kitsumo said:

No idea why that would need to be version 5; and considering how much 5 would break, I'm not sold on it.

maclean said:
    nicstt said:

There are a variety of ways that work on the PC, for some reason the MAC can't.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Paradigm said:

It worked fine for genesis 2 and below. Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 ignore hand and feet pinning entirely. Fix the pinning system!

I use pinning, and it stays put; have to use the poser tool though, for it to work.

... What do you mean then?

• Batch .obj and .fbx import and export, please (unless this is already available and I just havnt figured out how yet).

Scripting will let you do that, see in particular:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#importers
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/start#exporters

...but what if you don't script or write code?  There are a lot of us do don't.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,255
    kyoto kid said:

...but what if you don't script or write code?  There are a lot of us do don't.

Unfortunately or fortunately, this is a hobby that is partly about learning new things...  There is a long history here of people learning about how to kitbash, modify morphs and textures, compositing,  and learn new software etc... There is even a long running meme about the "Make Art" button...  Nonetheless, if an obscure feature is requested (most casual Daz Studio users never have to use .fbx and willnever batch export), one can either wait until the feature is added in a later version to Daz Studio or learn some elemetry scripting....

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    nicstt said:
    Paradigm said:

I use pinning, and it stays put; have to use the poser tool though, for it to work.

... What do you mean then?

Load in a Genesis 8 figure, pose the hand or foot somewhere with the IK tool. Press the space bar to add a pin. Now grab the shoulder or torso or whatever you want and twist it using the IK tool (with or without the XYZ gizmo) and the pinned hand will drift, even when you're not "bottoming out" a limit. This happens with G3 as well. G2 and below that did not have this problem. They would stay frozen in place as expected unless you went beyond the limits of the a bone and even then the model would freak out and the pinned object would do it's best to stay in place. Now it's like a gentle suggestion vs an actual pin. They're essentially useless.

• ArtbyphilArtbyphil Posts: 91
    edited January 2019

Sure there are lots  lots of things but a couple to start with I would Love to see:

• Easy Mask Rendering. to be able to select a part of a figure or texture and render a black on white image would be great. Also need to work with iray.
    • A sketchup importer: At the momemt getting a model form sketchup to daz for rendering is a bit of an ordeal. I can do it with an obj but needs a lot of tweaking.

Post edited by Artbyphil on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,250

I would like to have just enough basic modeling features to be able to join separate meshes or fix things when there turns out to be a problem. The Geometry editor lets me select and remove polys. But if you are kitbashing something from two separate primitives, it would be nice to be able to join them together rather than just parent one to the other, and hope for the best.

Or as in one case, I was using the walls from an old model to build a room, and discovered that there were two polys in the moulding which were joined at tthe vertices, but the edge between them wasn't welded, so I'd get a problem with light coming through the crack. If I could have sealed that crack there would have been no problem. Instead I had to futz about with it in post.