FLUIDOS plugin for Carrara -- version 1.4 update

Comments

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017

News post at CarraraCafe is now updated with the 1,4 news: 
    http://carraracafe.com/news/the-fluid-sim-plugin-for-carrara-fluidos-1-01-is-released/

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381
    PhilW said:

Alberto - that's quite a list! Fluidos is the gift that keeps on giving!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks Alberto! So very cool!

You're welcome!

Now, your AMD GPU should work well with Fluidos. I tested the plugin with a R7 240.

yes thankyou heart

PhilW said:

Greetings alberto,

Thanks once more, that's wonderful what you do for the Carrara community.!

You're welcome!

3drendero said:

000000000000000000000000News post at CarraraCafe is now updated with the 1,4 news: 
    http://carraracafe.com/news/the-fluid-sim-plugin-for-carrara-fluidos-1-01-is-released/

Thank you!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103
    Alberto said:
    PhilW said:

You're welcome!

Now, your AMD GPU should work well with Fluidos. I tested the plugin with a R7 240.

My GPU blew up :(

In haste I bought a GeForce GT730 4GB, just to get the computer working again. Ummm, bad choice. No nVidia benefits (no cuda cores) and it just can't hold a candle to my old 2GB AMD.

My computer is dying, so I have a new build in the works that will rock Fluidos:

• Ryzen 8 core (16 thread) cpu
    • GTX 10000 series GPU (although the Radeon R8 580 looks nice too)
    • 32GB RAM (2 16GB sticks, another pair added later)
    • 1TB SSD
    • Great big SATA drive to store all my animated renders

Greetings alberto,

Greetings Dart, dont stay away too long ..... things are quiet even with all the new amazing plugins

LOL! Certainly, you don't know for what you ask! Dart can really babble! ;)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    Alberto said:
    PhilW said:

You're welcome!

In haste I bought a GeForce GT730 4GB, just to get the computer working again. Ummm, bad choice. No nVidia benefits (no cuda cores) and it just can't hold a candle to my old 2GB AMD.

My computer is dying, so I have a new build in the works that will rock Fluidos:

• 1TB SSD

Are you getting parts and assembling, going through an independent vendor, one of the big brands?  I have been putting off replacing my 'puter and it is really struggling sometimes.  I'd be curious about current recommendations for vendors.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Greetings alberto,

Greetings Dart, dont stay away too long ..... things are quiet even with all the new amazing plugins

We have missed your babble my friend! Good to see you posting here again.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Babble and Bubbles... with Fluidos.

Thank you Alvin, and nice to see you Dart!

PhilW said:

Greetings alberto,

We have missed your babble my friend! Good to see you posting here again.

DUDU said:

Babble and Bubbles... with Fluidos.

Thank you Alvin, and nice to see you Dart!

Thanks, all! Good to be home!

Alberto said:
    PhilW said:

You're welcome!

• 1TB SSD

Are you getting parts and assembling, going through an independent vendor, one of the big brands?  I have been putting off replacing my 'puter and it is really struggling sometimes.  I'd be curious about current recommendations for vendors.

I go through Newegg dot com, put together a few saved wishlists of all the parts I need to build a new computer. I'll also do that for fixes and such - I love that they let customers save multiple wishlists under whatever name we want.

They also sell decent pre-configured machines.

This method of wishlisting allows me to make sure all of the parts work with one another. Newegg site is super helpful in this regard on its own, and then I'll also do a search on various items or topics for further know-how.

It's a wonderful feeling - building one's own PC. I love it!

Thrifty folk might prefer to get various items from various sites. When I built my first PC, I searched all over the web for various parts, and the prices at Newegg were so good that I felt that the convenience of their site (as well as getting everything ordered in one click) was worth just giving them the whole of my business - even buying the OS.

In the end, I can get much better specs for the same money when I build my own. There is, however (I'm guessing), a certain 'piece of mind' in getting a pre-built, optimized tower (or whatever) instead of having to search for and grab all of the necessary drivers and such. The thing is, most everything comes with a driver disc, if it needs one, unless it's an "Open Box" or "Used" item. I normally restrict my product searches to "New" - I'm just that way, I guess.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

HI Dart :)

i've just been upgrading too,. you should look at getting an M.2 , if you're getting a new motherboard/processor /OS

I picked up a Ryzen7 2700x, and an RTX 2070, then realised ryzen doesn't support win7 , so my expectation of simply plugging in my hard drives, was turned into a reality of buying Win10.

fortunately I got a 500gb SSD "bundled" with the motherboard/processor,. but, i also bought a 500gb M.2 card,. which fit's onto the motherboard,  it's very very fast (PCI NVMe SSD)

However,.  I've been trying fluidos, with some simple test stuff,. and it's still slow,.  but faster than my old system,. i'm seeing 7-10% CPU and 2-3% GPU use,.   , but i'm also seeing less use of the gpu when rendering in octane 15-20% so i'm not really pushing things yet.

Pathtracing and PMC now work as fast as direct lighting did on my old system :)

So far,.  Win10 seems fine,. pretty stable, after you disable all the intrusive monitoring apps.

oct grab.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    newcap fluidos gpu2.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    newcap fluidos cpu2.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M

I have been playing with some simple props that I might distribute as freebies.  One is a bottle with cap similar to the project in Mike Moir's vertex modeling tutorial, except I am adding a straw.  I was modeling liquid contents for the bottle with a morph to change the level, then I remembered Fluidos!  

Are there limitations on distributing a fluidos setup? Carrara version? Studio version?

I have been playing with some simple props that I might distribute as freebies.  One is a bottle with cap similar to the project in Mike Moir's vertex modeling tutorial, except I am adding a straw.  I was modeling liquid contents for the bottle with a morph to change the level, then I remembered Fluidos!  

Are there limitations on distributing a fluidos setup? Carrara version? Studio version?

No, there is no limitations. Moreover, is encouraged! smiley

I had this great idea (in my view) for some plumbing fixtures and then something similar appears in the Daz store with rigged water instead of Fluidos.  Sort of frustrating.  

Try it anyway since Fluidos is more flexible?
    edited February 2019

Go for it as you have a unique take on it.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

I had this great idea (in my view) for some plumbing fixtures and then something similar appears in the Daz store with rigged water instead of Fluidos.  Sort of frustrating.  

best thing to do is not look at the product  and go for it with your own take 

PS I'm really interested in making a wave pool but havent had the time - few prior warmup experiments tell me it will work

PhilW said:

Go for it as you have a unique take on it.

I agree! yes

3drendero said:
    Try it anyway since Fluidos is more flexible?

Yes! Rigged water is frozen water. Moreover, it's ghostly water: it can go through walls and any other things. surprise

Just a reminder that fluidos for Carrara is free, while the similar plugin for blender costs more than Carrara. (It has a few extra features, but still...)

Thanks for the encouragement.  My ‘rara computer is tied up with a landscape render estimated for 23 hours (I never go so long, although it probably seems pretty quick to some of you experts).  When it’s finished, I’ll pursue the project anyway.  

3drendero said:
    Just a reminder that fluidos for Carrara is free, while the similar plugin for blender costs more than Carrara. (It has a few extra features, but still...)

Yes, the FLIP Fluids Addon for Blender has some extra features. It's a great product, but, until now, it don't take advantage of Blender's forces, as Fluidos does with Carrara's forces.

Although it migth sounds Star Wars-ish,  use the force!

LineForce.png
    810 x 1080 - 1M

Great image, Alvin!

PhilW said:

Great image, Alvin!

Thank you, Phil !

Congratulations on the new Studio presets, Alvin!

https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-presets-waves

Beach waves = great!

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Beach waves = great!

+1 yes

The waves look great - congrats on the release.

• Carrara newbie here. Just purchased the plugin for Daz and downloaded the zip file for Carrara. Any instructions on how to get the plugin into Carrara? I tried importing and all it gave me was a flat plane. Thanks!

Beach waves = great!

Beach waves = great!

+1 yes

PhilW said:

The waves look great - congrats on the release.

Thank you!

Carrara newbie here. Just purchased the plugin for Daz and downloaded the zip file for Carrara. Any instructions on how to get the plugin into Carrara? I tried importing and all it gave me was a flat plane. Thanks!

Decompress the zip, look for the folder corresponding to your system (Win/Release86, Win/Release64 or MacOS) and copy all the files in your Carrara Extensions folder. For MacOS you could see here: http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/how-to-install-a-carrara-plug-in-under-mac-os-x/

• johranshadijohranshadi Posts: 134

Thanks, Alberto, installed the plugin successfully. And thanks for making it free for Carrara. I played with it for almost 2 days and couldn't get it to work. I followed Phill's tutorial to every detail but it failed to simulate the fluids. Two notes: 1. Phill's tutorial contained different options than mine. For the sphere, he checked "this is a fluid mass". I didn't have that option. My right pane shows it differently. It has 3 options one of which is fluid mass. I checked that; 2. I couldn't get the second fluid domain to stay in the same spot as the original one. When I apply fluidos modifier to it, it moves/shrinks and values change beyond fixing (strangely I can't resize it back). I thought those might be common issues that can be solved. Otherwise, I will keep playing with it until I figure it out. Thanks again!