!! Carrara Challenge 44 - Any Element, Not Just the 5th WIP Thread

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,523

Wild Seas stormified

Next to add some passengers to the ship and some lightning. Volumetric Cloud used for the storm cloud.

I recognise that boat!

looking great yes

so much has been done over the festive season... awesome WiPs... now to try and get back into the swing of things, still have family and Grandkids staying with us over the holidays so limited with time. I have cicada shells scattered everywher..

love what you did with your drawings desertdude... makes me wish I still had mine when I was a kid...

Thanks Stezza, and thanks for the boat - fitted into the scene perfectly !!!

Unfortunately I threw out a lot of my drawings, but did keep a heap of 3-view technical drawings I did of space ships and various vehicles, are on my to do list to model.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949
    edited January 2019

ed3D said:

_  _also could use Krita (Free and kind of like Corel Painter)  to make textures

Thanks for the suggestion ed3D - I see there is a Mac version. :)

You're welcome _ and Could use it on other Projects,   If  Not on this one 

Post edited by ed3D on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,949

Hello ed3D, are you joining in the fun this time around ?

Hello,  Bunyip02      _yeah,  Am Supposeing Too

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496

Meh, I'm slightly burnt out. Mostly because i don't have what i need.or my work isn't fitting my mind's image

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,021
    edited January 2019

MAJourney - stay motivated!  Just teasing.  There are still several weeks.  I hope you get your mojo back soon.  Plenty of time.  Anything we can do to help?

ed3D - glad to hear you are supposing to enter.  Thanks for participating in the threads during the challenges.  Much appreciated.  Be great to have a completed entry (or two)

Keep up the great work, Bunyip.

Element : Water

Wouldn't be a true Carrara challenge without a new silly character by yours truly.  Vertex model draft completed, uvmapped and simple bone skeleton.

aa01 mermaid toon.JPG
    1442 x 972 - 149K
    aa02 mermaid model and uvmap.JPG
    1846 x 1032 - 286K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

thanks Ted et Bunyip02 :) Ah yes havent found a way to change the particles in the fountain. Part of the manual suggests that you should be able to texture each individual particle - so I tried with a leaf apl

alpha map - but it appears to be spread over all the particles - that's backed up by the particle shader I guess

Wonderful mermaid Diomede! Love how clean are your uv skills.

MaJourney - if at first you don't succeed... then try something else! 3d work ia about ecploring andf the journey. not just the finished particle ... er article

Just like posts are meant to demonstrate our typeng skilz

edited January 2019

Thanks, Andrew.  Been working to get better at UVs.  Here, I've used the 3D Paint tool in Carrara to paint the tail and I've inserted the ocean primitive with a replicator (grid, not surface) and set the replicator to seamless.

aa03 test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited January 2019

@diomede your mermaid reminded me of the mertail for V3... so time for a kitbash.. smiley

for fun..

NaOH + HCl in solution

MerRoach.png
    800 x 600 - 624K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Merbug!  That needs to be an entry.  Excellent and hilarous.  Throw some particle bubbles via a render pass.

edited January 2019

love those water renders Stezza, et Diomede - water looks very effective in both - especially caustics and haze in Stezza's

Merbug!  That needs to be an entry.  Excellent and hilarous.  Throw some particle bubbles via a render pass.

ha ha Merbug - classic ;)

Here's some clouds put on splats - as you know fog doesnt work too well when combined with splats - which some of the distant trees are - so I added foggy splats to tree splats if that makes sense - also remodelled the lotus flowers

splatfog2_Color.jpg
    1947 x 1536 - 2M
    Docwww2.jpg
    2400 x 1479 - 4M
    Doc3.jpg
    2300 x 1418 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • this one is a render

and an image from it's postworked elements

giant and dwarf1.png
    2800 x 2100 - 7M
  • this one is a render

the post worked from pd howler didn't load

re saved it in gimp

giant dwraf1 final.png
    2800 x 2100 - 7M

I am looking on another device, not my computer, so forgive me if my screen settings are not correct.

Headwax_Carrara, Actually, I did NOT know that fog did not work well with splats, but it makes sense  Thanks for the pointers.  The scene looks amazing.  Very creative way to use the fountain particles.  I am still stumped for that one.  The start of the fog appears abrupt (again, could be my screen), but the reflection of the fog in the water looks terrific?  

Shlomi laszlo - Very creative interpretation.  I especially like how you have brought out the light flecks on the armor.  Did you do that with Howler, as part of the Carrara render, or something else?  The smaller figure on the arm is mostly lost in shadow in the second post (again, might be my screen, same as Headwax, ignore if not the case on a better device).  

Everyone - I will probably open an entry thread this upcoming weekend, but do not panic.  Entries are open until the 27th, which is still weeks and weeks away.  

this one is a render

the post worked from pd howler didn't load

re saved it in gimp

great effect , looks very industrial

Headwax_Carrara, Actually, I did NOT know that fog did not work well with splats, but it makes sense  Thanks for the pointers.  The scene looks amazing.  Very creative way to use the fountain particles.  I am still stumped for that one.  The start of the fog appears abrupt (again, could be my screen), but the reflection of the fog in the water looks terrific?  

thanks! yes the fog needs more work for sure = with normal fog and splats they play up on the egdes - you can see a white line  - from memory it happens with alpha maps???

• I am looking on another device, not my computer, so forgive me if my screen settings are not correct.

Shlomi laszlo - Very creative interpretation.  I especially like how you have brought out the light flecks on the armor.  Did you do that with Howler, as part of the Carrara render, or something else?  The smaller figure on the arm is mostly lost in shadow in the second post (again, might be my screen, same as Headwax, ignore if not the case on a better device).  

Everyone - I will probably open an entry thread this upcoming weekend, but do not panic.  Entries are open until the 27th, which is still weeks and weeks away.  

not light flakes but frost giant's blue skin under the chain mail.

way more on show in the diffuse then in the render.

was going after the new spiderman movie style:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4633694/mediaindex?ref_=tt_pv_mi_sm

• a new post work.

using levels on the shadows elemnet

before the halftone filter.

i cna't seem to upload files

• a new post work.

using levels on the shadows elemnet

before the halftone filter.

i can't seem to upload files

"no file data could be found in your post"

after it runs to uploading 99%

• tried other files

is it about size of file
    maybe jpg will work?

sunset gel1.png
    512 x 512 - 111K
    giant and dwarf1 new.jpg
    2800 x 2100 - 5M
    edited January 2019

it' size and type from memory

here's a detail from a larger work 'Skeleton Rampage" 

using foutain and splats with fog rendered onto them and fires

bestcrop-1.jpg
    3253 x 1687 - 5M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Nobody does skeletons like you do.  Looks too good to analyze. Just sit back and go WOW.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited January 2019

Some more inspiration

with English subtitles

Post edited by Vyusur on

Nobody does skeletons like you do.  Looks too good to analyze. Just sit back and go WOW.

+1 

Vyusur said:

Some more inspiration

with English subtitles

I am inspired!  Especially liked the music.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

wink

edited January 2019

I have opened the Entry Thread.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/302651/entry-thread-carrara-challenge-44-any-element-not-just-the-5th-deadline-1-27#latest

There are still 2 weeks to get an entry in.

Remember to say which category your entry qualifies for - Multipass?  or Cloud/Fire/etc.?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

I had a WIP going last night but, alas... darned computer died in the middle. I fear it may not be able to commit anymore :(

thank you UB and Ted, that's very kind of you both. I'm particularly happy with the image - it had a great response on other media sites.

Vyusur - I guess that's just a matter of taste. ;)

Bummer on the computer Dart - somethings are meant to try us and hopefully makes us better humans ;) Really terrific to see you back.

edited January 2019

same forest , has a cloud primitif for the fog plus cloud renders transmapped onto splats and fountians make some vegetation , if you look carefully there's highlights around some riocks at the waters edge isolated by using a reflection pass - if any questions be glad to explain how; second lot is spherical render -  I see glow aura doesnt work on spherical render

wizardlongshot.jpg
    3000 x 2250 - 7M
    wizardsphericalshot.jpg
    3000 x 2202 - 5M
    wizardsphericalshotsquerd.jpg
    3000 x 3048 - 7M
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,103

Bummer on the computer Dart - somethings are meant to try us and hopefully makes us better humans ;) 

Gotta say... I've really been hit with dark thoughts/moods since it started acting up/crashing. I hope I end up becoming a better human after all of this! 

Really terrific to see you back.

Thanks. It feels really good to be here too! This place is Home to me! ;)

Fantastic paintings! BTW, I use Aura with Spherical cam, and it works every time - but it doesn't pass through transparency shaders (like if there's aura on a lamp behind a lens, the aura won't work unless the lens is made invisible)