How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Thank you Sapat, glad you find it helpful. I appreciate all your comments you've made along the way. And yes, I'll be continuing to add to this thread. Right now I've been trying to figure out if there's a more fail proof way to get older clothing to work plus other ideas.

And a big thanks to Digital Art Live for inviting me to do the webinar. Most of what I've posted in this thread was learn as you go. Preparing for the webinar led me to go back and do a systematic build-up of steps from the very basic of adding the simulation pane to how to use all the simulation properties and related tools like weight mapping and smoothing.

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    RGcincy said:

Thank you Sapat, glad you find it helpful. I appreciate all your comments you've made along the way. And yes, I'll be continuing to add to this thread. Right now I've been trying to figure out if there's a more fail proof way to get older clothing to work plus other ideas.

RGcincy said:

And a big thanks to Digital Art Live for inviting me to do the webinar. Most of what I've posted in this thread was learn as you go. Preparing for the webinar led me to go back and do a systematic build-up of steps from the very basic of adding the simulation pane to how to use all the simulation properties and related tools like weight mapping and smoothing.

Yes, thanks to Digital Art Live for encouraging you.  I will continue to folllow this thread and learn as much as I can.  Look forward to the next part here at Daz if I can't make the webinar.

• You know, just when I start getting into learning an aspect of Daz, I've been lucky that someone with a lot of talent, and the drive to put this stuff together, has just accomplished whatever it is that I wanted to know! This is yet another example of good fortune. I purchased the webinar, and read the entire thread. I don't understand about half of what it says, but the seminar, pdf's and the posts, should be all I need! Thank you so much! You really earned that payment, and probably deserve a lot more! Also its sounding more and more like DS 4.11 is going to be very interesting... If anyone can DL and participate in the beta, I may take a look at it!
    edited December 2018

thanks! let me know if any questions arise. It makes more sense the more you do, especially if you start start small and work your way up.

Also its sounding more and more like DS 4.11 is going to be very interesting... If anyone can DL and participate in the beta, I may take a look at it!

Anyone can get it and it sits side-by-side with your current Daz installation, so you don't give anything up. I believe you just "buy" this free product: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta The best part for dForce is the addition of polylines which can be used for add-ons.

Post edited by RGcincy on

Thiw is the correct link:

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

• RGcincy said:

thanks! let me know if any questions arise. It makes more sense the more you do, especially if you start start small and work your way up.

Also its sounding more and more like DS 4.11 is going to be very interesting... If anyone can DL and participate in the beta, I may take a look at it!

Anyone can get it and it sits side-by-side with your current Daz installation, so you don't give anything up. I believe you just "buy" this free product: https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta The bets part for dForce is the addition of polylines which can be used for add-ons.

sapat said:

Thiw is the correct link:

https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

Awesome, thanks guys! Is there a list of changes between the 2? I perused the thread of the announcement, but getting specifics that make sense has been... challenging... It's a lot of tech talk! :D

thanks for the correct link sapat

Awesome, thanks guys! Is there a list of changes between the 2? I perused the thread of the announcement, but getting specifics that make sense has been... challenging... It's a lot of tech talk! :D

Right now the only thing I'm aware of is in the change log. It's a bit of a slog to read but if you do ctrl+f and search for dForce it will highlight the relevant changes. Not every build is released so only when DIM shows a new build can you download a new update.

RGcincy said:

thanks for the correct link sapat

Right now the only thing I'm aware of is in the change log. It's a bit of a slog to read but if you do ctrl+f and search for dForce it will highlight the relevant changes. Not every build is released so only when DIM shows a new build can you download a new update.

Hey, no problem.  Just clicked on it and got the 404, so started backspacing!  Blech....change log.  frown

• Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229
    RGcincy said:

I think I love you THANK YOU!!!  THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS! 

Question--anyone figure out how to use Dforce on a chair  to dimple as someone sits in it--like, how do you put a butt impression or  foot or leg impression in a cushion or padded arm rest...?

edited December 2018
    Luv Lee said:

Question--anyone figure out how to use Dforce on a chair  to dimple as someone sits in it--like, how do you put a butt impression or  foot or leg impression in a cushion or padded arm rest...?

Start with a standing figure and have it sit down in frame 10 so it sits lower than the top of the seat cushion. Add a dForce modifier to the chair and set simulation density to 20 to keep the cushion somewhat stiff. Set dynamics strength on any frame components to 0. Set gravity to -0.2 so the cushion moves up around the figure. If the entire cushion pulls up during simulation add a dForce modifier weight node and set influence weight to 0 for the underside and backside surfaces of the chair.

The image shows a chair from Back Door Walkway where I made these changes. You see the cushion is squashed down under the body and there are some compression marks in the seat back.

When I get a chance, I'll write up a more complete description.

Note the sitting figure is wearing two dForce clothing items: socks and boxers. I'll be doing a writeup soon on those as well. 

dForce chair boxers socks.jpg
    800 x 800 - 383K
  • Luv LeeLuv Lee Posts: 229
    RGcincy said:
    Luv Lee said:

Start with a standing figure and have it sit down in frame 10 so it sits lower than the top of the seat cushion. Add a dForce modifier to the chair and set simulation density to 20 to keep the cushion somewhat stiff. Set dynamics strength on any frame components to 0. Set gravity to -0.2 so the cushion moves up around the figure. If the entire cushion pulls up during simulation add a dForce modifier weight node and set influence weight to 0 for the underside and backside surfaces of the chair.

The image shows a chair from Back Door Walkway where I made these changes. You see the cushion is squashed down under the body and there are some compression marks in the seat back.

When I get a chance, I'll write up a more complete description.

Note the sitting figure is wearing two dForce clothing items: socks and boxers. I'll be doing a writeup soon on those as well. 

You will be forever DAH man--thank you, thank you, thank you!!! *HUGS!*

• One thing I was hoping to get some help with is 2 characters both with dforce clothing being simulated seperately with a timeline animation. I wanted a seated girl in a dress and another running through a door. I already set up how I wanted the girl seated and it animated and simulated very well. Then I set her to be ignored with her dress, and just wanted to apply the running girl from a memorized T pose, set to current frame, to save some time, and to see how it turned out... It didn't turn out s'good :D The seated girl stood up, and the whole thing took forever. She never sat back down. Any practical advice, doctor? And sorry for the text brick again... mobile posting doesn't allow it... again...
  • One thing I was hoping to get some help with is 2 characters both with dforce clothing being simulated seperately with a timeline animation. I wanted a seated girl in a dress and another running through a door. I already set up how I wanted the girl seated and it animated and simulated very well. Then I set her to be ignored with her dress, and just wanted to apply the running girl from a memorized T pose, set to current frame, to save some time, and to see how it turned out... It didn't turn out s'good :D The seated girl stood up, and the whole thing took forever. She never sat back down. Any practical advice, doctor? And sorry for the text brick again... mobile posting doesn't allow it... again...

Freezing the simulation, or turning Visible in Simulation off, won't stop the figure from animating - all it does is stop dForce from simulating the item itself.

As Richard said, when using an animated timeline the figure/clothing will start back with the original pose at frame 0 but then will show the previous simulation results as the animation timeline continues to the end. This has oftentimes given me a moment of surprise when I forget that behavior.

If you are following an animated simulation with a single frame animation, be sure to set your timeline slider to the last frame before simulating.

Also, something that catches frequently catches me, DON'T use the Clear button on the Simulation Settings pane!. Even if an item is set to freeze the simulation, the clear button overrides that and you'll lose what you had done.

• RGcincy said:
    Also, something that catches frequently catches me, DON'T use the Clear button on the Simulation Settings pane!. Even if an item is set to freeze the simulation, the clear button overrides that and you'll lose what you had done.

That may be the intended behaviour, but I'd say it was worth a bug report to check (if you haven't).

• RGcincy said:

As Richard said, when using an animated timeline the figure/clothing will start back with the original pose at frame 0 but then will show the previous simulation results as the animation timeline continues to the end. This has oftentimes given me a moment of surprise when I forget that behavior.

If you are following an animated simulation with a single frame animation, be sure to set your timeline slider to the last frame before simulating.

Ah ok! Well, when I loaded in the second dforce outfit, it automatically set the frame total to 120, up from the original 30. I was definitely on the last frame of where the original animation left off, though, before I started the second simulation. I thought that no matter where I had the timeline set, as long as it was set to single frame, it would only affect that frame, though. So, if I set the simulations to ignore or freeze the first simulation in that frame, it would do so, which it didn't. It reset everything in that last frame.

So, I still had the entire timeline, but in that frame that I wanted to simulate, it reset everything, when using visible in simulation. Maybe I'll try freeze instead, and reset the entire timeline back down to 30, even though it shouldn't matter, as long as I'm simulating just the one frame, right? Very confusing! :D

And don't worry, it only takes one time of using CLEAR for me to learn my lesson! Lol, never again! Unless... I haven't had my coffee yet! ;D

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    RGcincy said:

I have now added two actions to my main toolbar:

1. Clear dForce Simualtion for the Selected item - (I had to find an icon for the toolbar because th action doesn't have one). This avoids using the main Clear button which clears everything (including frozen items). This is saving me much frustration. smiley

2. Simulate - This is the same as the blue button in the Simulation Settings tab but it is more convenient for me on the main toolbar.

marble said:

I have those too but sometimes in my enthusiasm I still click that button 

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    marble said:
    RGcincy said:

1. Clear dForce Simualtion for the Selected item - (I had to find an icon for the toolbar because th action doesn't have one). This avoids using the main Clear button which clears everything (including frozen items). This is saving me much frustration. smiley

Where did you find the option to do that, before you added it to your toolbar? I've only ever noticed the Clear Simulation on the Simulation tab, just below Simulate, and that of course clears all.

marble said:
    RGcincy said:

Where did you find the option to do that, before you added it to your toolbar? I've only ever noticed the Clear Simulation on the Simulation tab, just below Simulate, and that of course clears everything.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 2018
    Odaa said:
    marble said:
    RGcincy said:

Where did you find the option to do that, before you added it to your toolbar? I've only ever noticed the Clear Simulation on the Simulation tab, just below Simulate, and that of course clears everything.

On the Simulation Settings hamburger menu.

dForce clear.jpg
    928 x 440 - 262K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 2018

deleted - duplicate post

Post edited by barbult on
    barbult said:
    Odaa said:
    marble said:
    RGcincy said:

Way cool, thanks! I will have to add that to my custom actions, where it will remain until the next time DS decides to dump my custom actions and make me start over...

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Odaa said:
    barbult said:
    Odaa said:
    marble said:
    RGcincy said:

Way cool, thanks! I will have to add that to my custom actions, where it will remain until the next time DS decides to dump my custom actions and make me start over...

Exactly what I thought when someone pointed it out in another thread. Such a useful action - it should probably be more prominent but there's always the customize option, thankfully.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Odaa said:
    barbult said:
    Odaa said:
    marble said:
    RGcincy said:

Copy the studio folder.

You can then use it as a backup. There's another way, which I can't remember, but the method I use gets me a few settings saved. You can also use it to transfer settings to Beta, although some tweakage can be required.

edited December 2018

64. Chair Cushions. Here’s an example showing how to get a chair cushion to deform from a figure sitting in it. I used a chair from Back Door Walkway. As with clothing, some chairs simulate well and others will explode or crash DS. The only way to know is to give it a try and use a weight map to remove as much of the unneeded geometry from the simulation.

a. Load a chair. Set the viewport to Wire Shaded and check for trigons (which make objects harder to dForce. The chair I selected had quads as shown in the image).

b. Select the chair in the Scene pane and go to the Surfaces pane and see how many surfaces are present. If only one, you will need to use the Geometry Editor to select all the polygons associated with the frame and assign them to a new surface.  If more than one, your chair model likely has that done already.

c. Add a dForce dynamic modifier to the chair.

d. Go to the Surfaces pane and for any surfaces related to the chair’s frame, set Visible in Simulation to Off.

e. For cushion surfaces, I would set Density to 25 as this will give a stiffer surface.

f. In the Simulation Settings pane, set Gravity to -0.2 as this will let the cushion move up and around the figure. Set Frames to Simulate to animated timeline.

g. Load a figure that is standing in front of the chair in frame 0 and set a keyframe on the animation timeline. At frame 10, apply a sitting pose on the figure. Adjust the figure so the buttocks are embedded somewhat down into the cushion and the figure’s back is embedded in the seat back cushion if there is one.

h. Run a simulation to see how the cushion deforms. You will likely find the cushions deform more than you want (as is the case for this chair, see image. Note that I’ve hidden the sitting figure). Since there’s a lot of deformation around the sides and top, I added a dForce modifier weight node.

i. Select the added node and choose the Node Weight Map Brush tool in the Tool Settings pane. First add an influence weight map then use the brush or other tools to select all the polygons associated with the underside or backside of the cushions. Once selected, right click in the viewport and choose Weight Editing/Fill Selected and set to 0. This will keep these polygons from changing during the simulation. The first image show all the cushion and frame with an influence weight of 1 (it doesn’t matter that the frame is at one as we turned its surface Off for Visible to Simulation). The second image shows the underside and backside polygons are free of red, so the influence weight in those areas is 0.

j. Run the simulation and you should see the cushion move up and around the figure. How it moves depends upon how the mesh is structured, the shape of the figure, its pose, and other factors. The left image shows the figure in the chair. In the right image I hid the figure so you can see how the chair deformed. If this is more deformation than you like, you can choose an earlier frame or set density even lower.

dForce chair check polygon type.jpg
    398 x 440 - 38K
    dForce chair wo weight map after simulation wo figure.jpg
    365 x 442 - 22K
    dForce chair weight map top.jpg
    341 x 434 - 26K
    dForce chair weight map underside.jpg
    398 x 431 - 31K
    dForce chair after simulation.jpg
    538 x 462 - 48K
    dForce chair after simulation wo figure.jpg
    487 x 465 - 48K
  • Hi

new to daz and trying to animate clothes with dforce. why is it that sometimes clothes immediately are torn in certain places as soon as you start simulating? im trying to simulate a rather loose piece of cloth and at the start of the simulation the loose parts start to fall down but as soon as there is a force that stops them from falling they get destroyed. how do you fix this?

Your first question sounds like you are dealing with unwielded seams (a situation where an outfit is modelled to look like all the pieces are connected, but they are not in actuality connected.) The actual situation you describe doesn't sound like anything I've ever encountered, except maybe trying to get a cloak to drape on top of a complicated outfit with lots of bumps and protuding bits.

edited December 2018

As Odaa said, unwelded seams can cause clothing to come apart. Also, if you set Visible in Simuation to off on a surface it can cause a separation. The other watch out with clothes is if they have faces made of 3 vertices (trigons), those will cause explosions of the mesh. What are some of the clothing items you've tried?