Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

I have noticed I cant get C8.5 pro (64 Bit) to start up with the New document Dialog window to open, I tried running the program as admin and re-adding the tick to skip New document Dialog and and then removed it again still with no luck. any advice would be helpful.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,771
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Pricing is fixed, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm about to get medieval on some people to make sure it doesn't happen again ;-)

Thanx, Jared. :) I would have already bought it by now, but I'm waiting on a credit for the M5 Pro Bundle I purchased earlier this month...
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,269
    edited August 2013

DAZ_jared said:
    Pricing is fixed, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm about to get medieval on some people to make sure it doesn't happen again ;-)

Thanks. To facilitate financial planning, it still would be helpful to know how long the 40% (instead of the normal 30% for DAZ originals) for PC members will last. In particular will it last at least as long as the 2 weeks for the 50% for previous owners lasts?

Best Regards,
    Charlie

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • info_8091df6d8cinfo_8091df6d8c Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Price fixed and upgrade bought, thank you!!! :-)

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

KJA79A said:
    The $85.50 discounted price shows in the cart now

This is true, and thanks for letting everyone know what the actually cost is -- I was going to have to hold off otherwise. I'm in the PC and recently purchased Carrara 8 Pro -- the product page for Carrara 8.5 Pro (http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-pro) shows $171.00 (save 69%), but when you go to check-out, the price automatically discounts to $85.00. Not thrilled about paying for an upgrade for a product I so recently purchased, but it's not the worst sticker shock I've ever experienced.

• StorytellerStoryteller Posts: 80
    edited December 1969

hey. thanks for all the hard work and time updating carrara. I really appreciate you buying and updating a great piece of software. you guys have gone out of your way many times to add a feature or update a 'whatever' to keep things running smoothly. Have my $100 in upgrade costs to support this great piece of software!!

Thx DAZ, you guys rock!

--Lord Ash Midnight

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

Just a quick question - is there a 32-bit version of 8.5 Pro? I seem to have the 8.5 product as the 32-bit version in myy downloads.

(Not a problem for me - the main system is 64-bit, and I probably should replace my 8 yer old laptop anyway . . . )

edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders

I'm still downloading files, but can anyone tell me which one(s) contains the V5 and M5 Carrara shaders, 'cause I'm not seeing anything in my Product Library that references that. Thanks...

edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    Just a quick question - is there a 32-bit version of 8.5 Pro? I seem to have the 8.5 product as the 32-bit version in myy downloads.

(Not a problem for me - the main system is 64-bit, and I probably should replace my 8 yer old laptop anyway . . . )

The 8.5 product is there to give you the 32 bit installers once you add the pro S/N the 32bit version will show up as the pro version anyway just 32 bit.

edited December 1969

Sarsifus said:
    DAZ_jared said:
    Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders

I'm still downloading files, but can anyone tell me which one(s) contains the V5 and M5 Carrara shaders, 'cause I'm not seeing anything in my Product Library that references that. Thanks...

That's C8.5 native content and C8.5 pro native content.

edited August 2013

NeilV 1 said:
    Sarsifus said:
    DAZ_jared said:

Thank you -- yeah, I realized that after pulling up the individual item pages from the Product Library. It just wasn't immediately obvious by looking at the entry listings (nothing stood out saying "M5 Carrara shader", for example). Have a good one...

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    namffuak said:

The 8.5 product is there to give you the 32 bit installers once you add the pro S/N the 32bit version will show up as the pro version anyway just 32 bit.

Ah -

Got it.

Thanks!

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

Wilfred said:
    Frank__ said:
    Okay, owners of V5 Pro and M5 Pro won't get a discount on the update.

Maybe it would be possible to swap those two already bought packages to 1 (one) Aiko 5 or 1 (one) Victoria 6? So that the continuing supporters of DAZ don't feel like ....

And when you have them all? I have all the characters (pro bundles) and many, many, many... DAZ Originals.

Simple solution: give one voucher for one pro bundle valid for 12 month after purchase of C 8.5. Everyone will find something useful in already released bundles or upcoming ones. Simple.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    edited August 2013

I only started working with Carrara and DAZ Studio a very short time ago. I like both, each for its own merits. But I also, by far, haven't worked enough with both programs to be a good judge of what the improvements in the new version mean, to allow myself an opinion on the technical worth of the update.

That said, here are my thoughts:
    I guess that part of the problem with the price is that the impression is given that the update price is caused by the extra content of the Pro package, rather than by the extra functionality of Carrara 8.5 Pro, in comparision to the regular&prior; versions.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying that the upgrades made are not worth the money - I simply don't have the technical understanding in regards to programming complexities for that.
    But adding two (expensive) Pro packages as "extra" gives the impression (at least, to me), that the new stuff implemented alone doesn't justify the update price, so DAZ had a bit of bad conscience and added the V&M to pacify the buyer - "It's worth buying for the V&M alone, because you safe all that money" (shamlessly putting words in mouths here).
    For me, this impression leaves a very bad aftertaste. It feels like being offered a bogues package (you know, when you are buying your cereal in the supermarket, and have that really huge cardbord box, only to open it at home and find out that 50% of the box is filled with air).

So, maybe showing the strength of the upgrade in a direct comparision "before/after" - something "to touch and look at", like a video demonstration, would take away a bit of that sour aftertaste. I'm sure that the programmers at DAZ have done their best to make the upgrade worthwhile. :-)

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • edited December 1969

My cart still says> $104.50

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited August 2013

Where was it said that you would be entitled to the upgrade for beta testing or purchasing within two months of the release? If it was said then you should certainly be entitled to it, I'm not aware of anything like that though.

Many companies offer a free upgrade if you've bought their software wirthin a certain period before a new major (paid) release. This period can vary, but often it's several months or even longer. An example: I recevied this mail about a month ago when this company released version 6:

"Upgrade for free if you purchased a license (new or upgrade) for PopChar Win 5 on or after June 1st 2011. No purchase is required, as your license key is still valid and covers the new version."

Personally I think at least 3 months would be fair with software which has major releases every 2 years or so.

On the other hand you also see companies who offer large discounts on their current release just before a new release (with no free upgrade to the next) just to squeze some extra $ out of it. Bad practice IMO, you just annoy your customers that way.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

8.5 was always advertised as a paid update.

I've noticed that several programs that used to come as 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 etc. major (paid) releases now have started to comes as 0.5 major releases. E.g. Dragon Naturally Speaking (12.5), Anime Studio (9.5). I wonder what the point is.

• ArtFantasyArtFantasy Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

File a support ticket if you got the wrong price.

Hi DAZ_Spooky, I have the same Problem, and yes, I opened a Support-Ticket, 2 days ago - no anwer yet.
    So, I opened another Ticket - since 21 houers -no answer yet.
    Not amused...

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

File a support ticket if you got the wrong price.

Hi DAZ_Spooky, I have the same Problem, and yes, I opened a Support-Ticket, 2 days ago - no anwer yet.
    So, I opened another Ticket - since 21 houers -no answer yet.
    Not amused...

They usually take within 3 business days, so never fear...

Anyway as for me, I'll just wait for the next full version. Not really willing to pay so much for a half-upgrade.

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

I've noticed that several programs that used to come as 7.0, 8.0, 9.0 etc. major (paid) releases now have started to comes as 0.5 major releases. E.g. Dragon Naturally Speaking (12.5), Anime Studio (9.5). I wonder what the point is.

Don't forget adobe!

Their latest creative suite paid release was a .5 version and only had minor upgrades - and not even to every program in the suite.

Why do they do this?

In adobe's case it's because they are Evil!!

In most other cases it's because there's too much invested in the update to give it away free, but not enough for a full new version number.

And I think the added revenue it generates has something to do with it...

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited August 2013

Taozen said:

Don't forget adobe!

Their latest creative suite paid release was a .5 version and only had minor upgrades - and not even to every program in the suite.

Why do they do this?

In adobe's case it's because they are Evil!!

YES! I've had CS3 for many years and use it in my work and it performs beautifully. 3D is all new to me....

I ignored CS4,5 and finally broke down and got just PS6 and am sorry I did. I could have done as much HDRI work manually in CS3 version. I especially won't upgrade the Acrobat Pro. 8.... works fine for me...the later versions have so many bugs.

Their upgrade incentives are rubbish...only being a student in another field helps with the costs of software upgrades. They all assume that users are making piles of money with their software and feel they should charge accordingly. In this economy? You've got to be kidding.

SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    Sarsifus said:
    DAZ_jared said:

Fascinating
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content 157.40 KB
    Carrara 8.5 Native Content 1.63 MB

Pro is smaller????
    Both are zips ...

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Thanks DAZ_Spooky,

The Digital Painters Shaders still aren't showing up as part of 8.5.

Therese are showing up now as part of the 8.5 Pro Bundle now:

Carrara Hair Caps
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Howies Snow Scene

Great to see that the missing stuff in 8.5 is being fixed and for clarifying what 8.5 has in it.

I hope DAZ makes the older V4 & M4 shaders for Carrara available for sale so newer Crarrara user who want them can purchase them. (They were only in the older build only.)

I'm not sure if the missing downloads for the older versions of Mimic Pro for is going to get fixed.

I have to update the plugin info I wrote in the Carrara information manual thread to mention the After effects plugin is not part of 8.5 and doesn't work with newer version of After Effects which i why it wasn't included.

Jay_NOLA said:
    I've got those with my C8 Pro but thy are missing from C 8 .5 C 8.5 Pro. I'm mentioning that those files are missing since if you don't have the older version you have no way to get them.

I don't use DIM to download and those files are not included among the Manual download for C 8.5.

DAZ forgot to put them in C8.5. They did the same thing with the Native Content . DAZ did fix the missing Native Content problem a few hours ago so you can download the C8 Native Content if you have 8.5. The C8 Native Content now shows as being included in both C8 & C9.5 Pro now in My Product Library

The still need to fix the other missing files.

DAZ also removed all the older versions of Mimic Pro for Carrara too and now only the 8.5 version can be downloaded, so they need to fix that too so all versions can be downloaded like before.

-_Milo_- said:
    Jay_NOLA said:
    So other files are still missing that were in C8 Pro from the C8.5 downloads

These are:

Howie's Snow Scene
    C8 After Effect plug in file
    DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler
    Digital Painters Shaders
    The V4 Shaders
    The M4 Shaders.
    V4
    M4
    V4 Morphs
    Armasedea Hair
    Jai Hair
    M4 & V4 basic clothing

are you using DIM? since those were already in the library they won't show up again.

The V4 and M4 bundles were replaced in favor of the V5 and M5 bundles. The After Effects plug-in has not worked in so long, that I am not sure anyone knows what it was supposed to do, so was pulled, and need a significant rework before it can be put back.

As for the others, I can ask but no promises. As an upgrade customer you already have them. The DigitalPainters 3DPaint Brushes Sampler and Digital Painters Shaders are being added to the 8.5 bundles. Thanks for pointing out they were missing.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited August 2013

Kerya said:
    NeilV 1 said:
    Sarsifus said:
    DAZ_jared said:

Fascinating
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content 157.40 KB
    Carrara 8.5 Native Content 1.63 MB

Pro is smaller????
    Both are zips ...

maybe you need both

Post edited by Chohole on
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Where was it said that you would be entitled to the upgrade for beta testing or purchasing within two months of the release? If it was said then you should certainly be entitled to it, I'm not aware of anything like that though.

Many companies offer a free upgrade if you've bought their software wirthin a certain period before a new major (paid) release. This period can vary, but often it's several months or even longer. An example: I recevied this mail about a month ago when this company released version 6:

"Upgrade for free if you purchased a license (new or upgrade) for PopChar Win 5 on or after June 1st 2011. No purchase is required, as your license key is still valid and covers the new version."

Personally I think at least 3 months would be fair with software which has major releases every 2 years or so.

On the other hand you also see companies who offer large discounts on their current release just before a new release (with no free upgrade to the next) just to squeze some extra $ out of it. Bad practice IMO, you just annoy your customers that way.

I know that this happens in the software industry, I was just wondering if DAZ said anything of the sort for this particular software. No two companies conduct business the same way and I personally wouldn't assume that one company would give me the same deals as another, especially when making a purchase decision and investing such large amounts of money.

• CoXComicsCoXComics Posts: 50
    edited December 1969

I'm still waiting on the manual for version 8 to be released, and 8.5 is out? Not falling for this a second time.

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

Agreed. I bought 8.1 Pro last month, just a little over 30 days ago (so I can't do the refund/repurchase thing). I really do not feel like shelling out more money to keep current. Sigh.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Spiderland: contact Support nonetheless - you may not get all of the money back, you may not get part of the money back, but it doesn't hurt to try.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree, DAZ can be very supportive in cases like this.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Taozen said:

DAZ Policy is 30 days. And we did tell you it was coming, and when it was coming, in February.