Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

Comments

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Thanks, looking at your settings I think the biggest difference between what you did and what I was trying is the use of spec 2, I was just using spec 1 only and the specular highlights were pretty much non-existent, that could also be due to the specific lighting.

At one point, since I wasn't seeing anything good with the specular highlights, I set the whole cornea to white with 100% opacity and set the specular colour to a bright red, so I could see if the specular was doing anything. I had to turn off the limits on specular strength and somewhere around 4800% strength it was starting to show up, but still wasn't very bright!

Like I said, a lot of that comes down to specific lighting as well I think, but I might give this a shot.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Sorry yes lighting I was going to mention something about that and forgot, well it's an age thing.

Area lighting doesn't IMHO give good specular so I added a spot set to about 40% white light set to Spec only positioned the same direction as my Key Area Light. .

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Pretty good.

The only thing I don't like completly is the Tshirt, it seems to have a sheen to it that that sort of cotton doesn't usually have.

Can't seem to get the pic to enlarge - ok got it to work, internets a bit glitchy at the moment.

Plain render out of Daz Studio no postwork. How does the shirt look now?
    Personally I think the shirt looks more like cotton now...maybe it was more of a cotton/poly blend before. :lol: The skin looks great, too.
    edited December 1969

Thanks Scott. I think I have made an improvemet on that image...still testing effects and what they do but yeah things are coming along nicely. To be honest the shirt didn't take long to set up and test to get to that point.

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sorry yes lighting I was going to mention something about that and forgot, well it's an age thing.

Area lighting doesn't IMHO give good specular so I added a spot set to about 40% white light set to Spec only positioned the same direction as my Key Area Light. .

Yeah, suspected that might be the case. The area lighting had such a huge impact on the specularity of the rest of my image I figured that might be doing that as well but got too tied up in trying to make it work just with material settings.

For your spot light, did you make it tight just on the eye or is it hitting the rest of the figure as well? My concern with my image was that I had the skin looking good so I figured if i were to add a light I'd want to put it right on the each eye and match the angle of the area light so that I got a good catch light but didn't add a ton of shine to the rest of the figure.

edited December 1969

Yeah realy tight cone. I only had the spot at 40-50% to get those highlights set to Speculur only.

edited December 1969

I am moving the discussion over here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18364/P45/ so to keep it all in one place for now.

• atacit_23cd333971atacit_23cd333971 Posts: 98
    edited December 1969

Took your advise and read this and the "read first post". I was minutes away from delete DAZ, packing this up and moving on and now I am on a path of pain and suffering. As my back aches and I scream at a monitor in frustration I will look back and remember, I have you to thank. Well written post. I am giving this a year .Thanks for the inspiration.

edited December 1969

My pleasure and what a nice post atacit, thank you.

I too have no artistic experience since taking up this hobby and my stick figures are really bad still, only time adn dedication will see you though. Once you have the basic down you will then start to enjoy it more.

edited December 1969

This as had an update and a rewrite to make it more up to date and hopefully easier to read.

• NoxCruorNoxCruor Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark, this was absolutely awesome, and thank you so much for posting it.

I've purchased Dreamlight's short 7 step tutorials, and they are amazing.

Quick FYI to everybody - Dreamlight is holding a special deal on the 3D Lightmaster. It's 14 bucks as opposed to 47. If you have the funds and the time, NOW is the time to get it. I just did and can't wait to view it.

Thanks again Szark!

edited December 1969

You are welcome NoxCruor

• edited December 1969

I enjoyed the initial post of this thread a lot (and the link to that great quote). As a beginner I'm looking round at everyone else thinking "these pics are amazing, I'm never gonna be half as good" but its comforting to know that each of you had all the same difficulties I'm having and found a way through them.

It really helps motivate me to put on the sparring gloves back on and go back for another round with daz

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Hi Pete, thanx for taking the time to write an intro to 3D, I learned a quite a bit reading, how to approach 3D. I learned through Autocad education, learning tools is a crucial element in software, no knowledge of tool use = difficulty in design. I, like yourself I spend hours tinkering with software tools.

Deal with each hurdle one at a time. Go slowly then it will not be so frustrating when things don’t go to plan. What you see in your head may not be achievable straight away so be prepared to either rethink the image or go searching to find out how.

This by far has been my most greatest challange of all. My personality has no patience !! Lol !!! I have to constantly remind myself to slow down, one step at a time. I've learned when I get frustrated, to walk away, take a break, do something else. I enjoyed a few other statements you made as well. Thanx for all you do friend :cheese:

edited December 1969

Thank you derekmccaughey2010, sorry for the late reply, this darn forum not sending out notifications AGAIN.

awesomefb yep Patience is key with a lot of things in life this being one of them. 90% of my image wouldn't have been made if it was for me being patient. Don't get me wrong somethings I am not very paitent with, you know like waiting for paint to dry, mother in laws and any proof that dark matter is real. :)

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Love your sense of humor, Lol ! Absolutely agree on mother in laws :)

Szark said:
    Don't get me wrong somethings I am not very paitent with, you know like waiting for paint to dry, mother in laws and any proof that dark matter is real. :)
    edited December 1969

When I stop cracking jokes is the day I die. :P

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Old comedians never die; they just gag a lot :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

I am not sure I could respond to that without getting into trouble.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

LOL

edited December 1969

No I won't be led in to this so stop nagging will you. :P

whistle,whistle...........runs away laughing.

• UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

I actually read this thread three times, printed all advice on it, and well I'm working hard for achieving something that's okay for my visual novel.

In the end, I realize I arrived to daz because I had the head full of pictures, and that I had stories enough to tell that I couldn't draw... yet i realized that nothing would seemingly go as I wanted. I'm trying more and more, sometimes I get desperate, but I'm happy that I can finally get closer to my minds.

On that regard, without your post to tell how to get better that helped me and its link to the saying about not giving up, I guess I would be giving up as renders goes on. So I'd like to give you a big tank you for that.

Also your school thread was a bliss to read, it gave me many hints and ups.

So a big thank you for all your generous giving of advice and guidance.

edited December 1969

I am warmed by your comments Ukyuu and I am glad you found the content helpful, it is a pleasure the share to that end of helping. It is the only reason I do it.

edited December 1969

Because we can't have endless threads stuck at the top I thought I better post my render thread link here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/ which on page one at the very top I have some links that might come in handy with using Daz Studio, some by me and some by others.

• UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

I've read those ! Thanks for sharing them !

I like to follow your works and posts, they're a wonder of treasure of knowledge... here again thanks for being so generous, you're one the people that makes the DAZ community so nice and sweet one can only melt meeting you all.

edited December 1969

Thank you Ukyuu. I will hopefully get some more done when I get a new computer.

The reason I posted my last post here was I keep seeing people asking about certain things when the info is already there waiting for them. But comments like this spur me on to do more so again thank you.

• DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

...Thx for this, awesome inspiration. Sometimes its just difficult to know how to figure things out. It seems that things arent just lined up for us. But then thats half the fun, finding out what to and how to learn. But that satisfaction upon learning is amazingly sweet. When I did Bryce I ventured the right way...I read and fiddled all I could every day until I reached a point that the mechanics of the software were second nature. And all I had to do is picture in my mind what I wanted to create and it happened. Poser is similar but Vue has been alot tougher....more power in that software and so much more to learn. It can be very frustrating.
    What I would like to add here is to try and not get discouraged early on or with new software. there will be a learning curve...just work on learning the ins and outs of the program and take delight in discovering what itt can do...dont worry about the finished product for awhile.

edited December 1969

Thank you dimeolas for those nicely added words of encouragement..

• foundingfatherfoundingfather Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

I am a newbie with this program that I consider got a huge potential so any suggestion is really welcome. Thanks

edited December 1969

Sorry for the late reply as A; I didn't get a notification and B; I have just set up a new PC.

Ok I am not sure I understand what you are after foundingfather. If you are wanting a place to start learning then I suggest to start with

1: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/start where you will find the Quick Start Guide and User Guide in PDF format.

That should keep you going to start with. Then is a month or two go to my render thread to find more tutorials plus there are a lot of threads in the New Users section of the forum.