It's Raining Men! Annual Contest - Winners Announced!

KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
edited February 2019 in Art Studio

November 1 - December 31, 2018 Ends at Daz midnight (GMT-6)

It's that time again when men rule the forums or at least the Art Studio. We are once again having the It's Raining Men Contest. This is a DAZ sponsored challenge here in the Art Studio. As in previous years, the rules are fairly simple. However, we do have a new rule so make sure you read them carefully. Submit renders that feature the men. Females can be in your render but the man must be the focus. We are going to open up the voting to the forums for the best overall image again this year using a survey site. All voters will be required to submit their username here on the Daz Forums. We are also going to have a separate entry thread to hopefully make it easier to create the voting thread this year. So while you can post images to the main thread if you wish, only those images posted to the Entry Thread will be submitted to the survey site for voting. The Re-Purposed entries will be open to public voting this year.

We have a Newbie category this year to encourage new users to play. Those images will be decided by L'Adair who generously donated the prize for this new category.

There is also a category for the Best Quirky image. 

Donations to the prize kitty by both Vendors and Forum members will be gratefully appreciated. We will continue to take prize donations until the end of the contest.

So show us your best Male renders.
Any Humanoid Male figures can be used. 

The Main Challenge has Two Parts
Prizes for Be
st Render, 2nd and 3rd Places
Separate prize for B
est, Most Original Re-Purposed Non-Male clothing Item 
There will still be a Carrara category again this year.
(Please note this doesn't mean just stuffing poor Michael (or whoever) into a dress -  it needs to be a genuine alternative usage of a non-male item.)  This image from the first It's Raining Men contest would be a perfect example of what we are hoping to see. 
All images will be entered for Best Image with the exception of the new categories listed below; any image which uses and mentions a re-purposed item also will be entered for Best, Most Original re-purposed item. However no image can win the same level in both categories.
For the re-purposing voters should favor those who give some explanation of how they re-purposed.

We have some new categories. These categories are not open for public voting but will be decided by an independant judging panel.
New Categories
      Best Entry by a New User
      Best Entry by a PA
      Best Toon Entry

Challenge starts now, November 1, and will end on December 31 midnight DAZ time, to give you plenty of time to do your best for our poor hard done by 3D men.

Rules  

1.  You can enter up to 3 Images
2.  Entries must all be new renders.
3.  Please submit your entries to the Entry thread with an attached file for voting purposes.  We do need the attachments to compile the voting thread.  In the spirit of the contest, please post your entries here before entering other DAZ contests.  Entries can be submitted to other DAZ contests once they have been entered here as long as it isn't expressly prohibited by the other contest.  Yes, you can post to your DAZ Gallery and your Deviant Art gallery. Being able to post to your DA gallery was widely requested last year and so we are allowing that this year.
4.  Entries can use any render engine/program of choice as long as the main focus is the male figure.
5.  Title is optional, but please state if your image is to be considered for the Re-Purposing category by tagging it Re-Purposed.  You can tag an image Re-Purposed by putting the word Re-Purposed somewhere in your post when you submit your image to the Entry Thread
6.  Postwork is allowed.   
7.  Female figures are allowed in an image, but the main focus of the image must be the male figure.
8.  Keep it within the TOS.
9. No signatures on the images please. This was brought up last year and, in the interest of fairness, please do not put signatures on your images that are uploaded to the voting thread. If you wish to put a signature on your image when you upload to your gallery, you are allowed to do that. The official entries uploaded to the entry thread must be signature-free.
10.  Re-Puposed Category - This category is to take an article of clothing NOT designed for the males and using it on or with the male figure in a new way.  This does not mean throwing the male into a dress and calling it done.  For inspiration, please check out voting threads from previous years in the links and look for those images which are tagged Re-Purposed.
11.  Female morphs are not allowed in this competition including, but not limited to, the use of such products as GenX which enable users to apply female morphs onto the male body.  We want to concentrate on the male figure.  However, scripts that allow artists to swap UVs allowing female skins to be used on the male figure WILL BE ALLOWED as no morphing is involved and UV swapping is a pretty common occurrence for most of us.
12.  Swapping out an entry is allowed as long as your final entry is in by the "end date".  No swapping will be allowed once I've posted the  'Contest Closed' post and whatever image you have posted at that time is the entry you will have to keep.
13. Prize listing for Special Carrara Incentive.  If your entry was made in Carrara, please post a screenshot of your entry in Carrara in your entry post along with your entry.
14. For PAs: This year, there is a special prize to encourage PAs to enter. You guys will have your own category and I hope this encourages all of you to join the fun.

Rules for Newbie Entry
Must meet all the other rules of the contest,

• Must be the first It's Raining Men contest the artist has entered,

• Need to enter at least two renders, preferably three.

• Need to have started creating in DS within the past 18 months, and

• Need to include the month and year they started in their entries if they want to be considered.  

If you are unfamiliar with the It's Raining Men Contest here are links to previous It's Raining Men Challenges/Contests year's contest:
It's Raining Men - Forum Team Challenge to the Forum Community
It's Raining Men - Challenge Winners
Mod Challenge It's Raining Men Thread for Judging (ALL 140 ENTRIES WITHOUT COMMENTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD)
Post edited by Knittingmommy on

Comments

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited November 2018

1st place
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Daz3D
        2 Character from Darwins Mishap (s) (excludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or characters created with another PA)
        1 Pose Set from Quixotry (excludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or characters created with another PA)
        1 Product from TangoAlpha (exludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or any products created with another PA)
        $30.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Mardook
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Hiro Protagonist
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Barbult    
        $10.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by L'Adair

2nd place
        $10 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Daz3D
        1 Character from Darwins Mishap (s) (excludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or characters created with another PA) 
        1 Pose Set from Quixotry (excludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or characters created with another PA)
        1 Product from TangoAlpha (exludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or any products created with another PA)
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Diomede_Carrara    
        $10.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Dreamfarmer
        $10.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Isidorn

3rd place
        $5 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Daz3D
        1 Character from Darwins Mishap (s) (excludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or characters created with another PA)
        1 Pose Set from Quixotry (excludes Bundles, Daz Originals, or characters created with another PA)
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Worlds_Edge
        $5.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Knittingmommy

Best, Original Re-Purposed entry
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Knittingmommy

Best Quirkiest Image
        $25.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Chohole

Best Entry by a Forum Newbie
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by L'Adair

Best Toon Entry
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Knittingmommy

Best entry created in Carrara
        $20.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate in memory of wgdjohn

Best Entry by a Daz3D PA (published artist)
        $25.00 Daz3D Gift Certificate donated by Knittingmommy

Donors, if your donation is not listed please check your PMs to see if I had a question about amount or distribution. Please PM me if I've missed a donation or there has been an error. Thank you.

List incomplete and subject to change as more donation amounts are confirmed and/or added.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • Saved

• Get your renders ready because It's Raining Men! Starts now!

• There was a little snaffu when I was writing the main thread post. I said in the donations thread that the Re-Purposed category was up for open voting this year and it is. Unfortunately, I goofed when writing the Main thread and said by panel judges again. Thanks to L'Adair for pointing that out because it is indeed up for public voting this year. I've fixed that little bit in the first paragraph in the first post.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Can't wait to see the entries!  So many great ones last year!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Aren't you entering @IceDragonArt?

I know I will be entering this year!!

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited November 2018

Time to dust off a 'repurposed' idea that came to me just after last years contest closed - it was a bit odd even then. But it's been fermenting in the deepest recesses of my subconcious ever since, and when I cautiously opened the lid...

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • Awesome- I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Aren't you entering @IceDragonArt?

I know I will be entering this year!!

Maybe!  lol.  If I have enough time I will give it a go.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

New categories, including quirky and toon, make me very excited.  Should bring out a wonderful variety of styles and subjects.  yesyes

Thanks for taking the lead again, @Knittingmommy.

• Time to dust off a 'repurposed' idea that came to me just after last years contest closed - it was a bit odd even then. But it's been fermenting in the deepest recesses of my subconcious since then, and when I cautiously opened the lid...

Sounds interesting!

I can't wait to see what everyone brings to the contest this year. 

• I had someone PM me a question about the Newbie category and whether those images will be eligible for the main prize categories. I wanted to let all New Users know that Yes, your images are eligible for the main prizes. The Newbie category will be decided after the main judging by private panel. If an image in the Newbie category wins one of the main prizes, it will be taken out of the running for the Newbie category as you can't win more than one prize. I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't turn down one of the main prizes if they won.

I've been known to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if a newbie won 1st place he or she isn't walking away from that one. ;)

I've seen a lot of really great renders by newbies and believe me, it is possible. I really encourage all new users to Daz3D to consider entering the contest. You can't win if you don't enter.

• Thanks, Knittingmommy, for all the work you are putting into this exciting competition. It's a very special occasion to me, with great prizes, and it's going to be fun! laugh

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Ah, good to see this thread pop up again :D

Who knows, I may crank out something decent enough to enter.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

With all the goodies I just got from the PC+ Anniversary sales I know I am going to have enough insperations to last a lifetime giggles!!

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited November 2018

I'm never first.  But here I am.

Posted in the entry thread.

takeMeToSchool2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 968K
    Post edited by evilded777 on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

9. No signatures on the images please.

Possible trick question. What is included in "signatures"? A written text signature only, or other things too? For example, myself usually include my avatar Ducky incorporated into my rendered scenes, as a kind of signature. There're others that like to use other things, like a certain character, or how about an artist with a very easily recognized artistic style? That can work as a signature in itself.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited November 2018

A pair of NAEs (Not An Entrys) cos they're not new - a month (few weeks?) ago there was a "Sexiest Poser Male Render Contest" on the SM forums, so I posted two (stupid) entries...

(NAE) I'm Too Sexy For My Swamp...

(NAE) Hello Ladies !

[edit]...and a third NAE (Not An Entry) , because I couldn't hold onto this idea until the contest, and posted it a while ago

(NAE) The Angry Elephant

Described by the manufacturers as "An articulated codpiece for scaring the willies out of your opponents".
    (Made from one of the V4 Armor Rings (DAZ) and V4 Tanya's nipple cups - those things are a godsend for repurposing!)

ImTooSexyForMySwamp.jpg
    851 x 671 - 49K
    HelloLadies.jpg
    851 x 851 - 62K
    Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • I've updated the prize list add another PA offering. Thank you, @TangoAlpha!

isidorn said:

9. No signatures on the images please.

Possible trick question. What is included in "signatures"? A written text signature only, or other things too? For example, myself usually include my avatar Ducky incorporated into my rendered scenes, as a kind of signature. There're others that like to use other things, like a certain character, or how about an artist with a very easily recognized artistic style? That can work as a signature in itself.

I would consider a signature to be any objects, initials, or names which clearly show who the artist is. Most of the time I would say Ducky is safe. For this contest, that's a really hard question to answer. Most people who know you and your images always go looking for Ducky, but if a person doesn't know you then they don't know what Ducky has come to represent. I hate telling you that Ducky has to sit this one out, but it might be safer in the interest of fairness to let Ducky have a vacation from contest entries. That makes me sad, but I need to be fair and if I am not allowing signatures to be on the entries, Ducky counts as a signature in this instance.

I'm really happy to see some entries already. Very cool!

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

I can understand the rule against signatures, and I will abide to it. But I also have to admit, with all the thefts of art out there, it is not something that makes me particulary happy. After all, a unsigned picture is harder to prove ownership to. However I do totally understand the reasoning, not sure how I will work that little dilemma out though but I find a way :)

• Carola O said:

I can understand the rule against signatures, and I will abide to it. But I also have to admit, with all the thefts of art out there, it is not something that makes me particulary happy. After all, a unsigned picture is harder to prove ownership to. However I do totally understand the reasoning, not sure how I will work that little dilemma out though but I find a way :)

I wish I hadn't had to make an issue of it myself, but it was something brought up last year. However, only the official entry needs to be signature free. You can add the signature before uploading to your gallery. I've been wondering if there is anyway to kind of watermark the files themselves. Something that would be invisible to the viewer but part of the actual image file. In the age of technology, I wonder if that's a thing yet and if it is, why I haven't heard of it yet.

This contest has evolved from the first one and changes have been made based on the suggestions of the people entering it. Hopefully, it makes the contest better. I don't know. Only time will tell. I don't have all the answers unfortunately.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited November 2018

But it doesn't matter if we put it in the gallery or not, not really. Unless I am wrong you will have to post the entries in a thread, which will make them obtainable for others so to say.

I do agree, with our tech now I am sure there is possible, I do known there is a way to have a invisible signature of sort on pictures/photos files etc.. but it's darn expensive, for me (shifting some due to currency exchange thingie ofc) it would cost around 90 dollar a month to have that, but I sure as heck would have Loved that. Unfortunately, a tad bit too expensive for me.

I actually don't know much watermarks, I only seen those very visible and slightly less visible ones. Don't think there really is any watermark that is invisible so to say, which is kinda sad.

I have a few ideas for entries to the contest though, might end up not posting any until the end of it. Kinda need to make the scenes and everything first ^^

Edit - came to think of something, when I sign my pictures I tend to put the signature in a discreet place and than make it Near invisible. Most of the times it's not noticed unless one Know it is there, and some times even when knowing it is there it's hard to detect, yet the signature is still there and can be proven should it come to it. Perhaps that might be an acceptable solution? Making the signature discreet and near invisible I mean? only an idea that came to me when I was doing some postwork on another picture :)

Post edited by Carola O on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Carola O said:

But it doesn't matter if we put it in the gallery or not, not really. Unless I am wrong you will have to post the entries in a thread, which will make them obtainable for others so to say.

I do agree, with our tech now I am sure there is possible, I do known there is a way to have a invisible signature of sort on pictures/photos files etc.. but it's darn expensive, for me (shifting some due to currency exchange thingie ofc) it would cost around 90 dollar a month to have that, but I sure as heck would have Loved that. Unfortunately, a tad bit too expensive for me.

I actually don't know much watermarks, I only seen those very visible and slightly less visible ones. Don't think there really is any watermark that is invisible so to say, which is kinda sad.

I have a few ideas for entries to the contest though, might end up not posting any until the end of it. Kinda need to make the scenes and everything first ^^

Edit - came to think of something, when I sign my pictures I tend to put the signature in a discreet place and than make it Near invisible. Most of the times it's not noticed unless one Know it is there, and some times even when knowing it is there it's hard to detect, yet the signature is still there and can be proven should it come to it. Perhaps that might be an acceptable solution? Making the signature discreet and near invisible I mean? only an idea that came to me when I was doing some postwork on another picture :)

When you create an image, you automatically own the copyright, with or without a signature. Your first published date is when you post the image to the contest entry thread. If you are worried, Take a screenshot of the entry post, and store it along with a direct link to that post. That will prove you own the image/copyright in most cases. If you find someone is using your image, contact them to pay Royalties, and state if not paid, or the image removed, you'll take any and all legal remedies available to you. In my experience, that's the fastest way to get anyone to pull down an image. (Print is more difficult, after the fact, but then you have a case for actually getting paid!)

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

What I want to know is: how come no one wants to steal my art?

:)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

No one wants to steal mine either, not that I care to even do an image search to check, but for those worried about your entires being stolen then GIMP, PS & even the Windows File Manager shell & so on allow that one can embed a hidden text signature in most image formats and should you enter the contest it's going to be pretty easy to prove your image was posted and known before any thief stole it.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,245

I'm working on a few things, I don't think I can count as a newbie, though. lol.

• And, I think we have our first entry by a PA for the PA category! I really hope there are some other PAs who feel like a challenge because that first entry by @DarwinsMishap looks pretty good. I think he needs a little competition. ;)

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

This one is a long enough contest for me to hopefully take part in, and gives me some extra incentive. Never realised I was only a month out of the newbie category laugh

Good luck to everyone who takes part, looking forward to seeing what is made smiley

• Hi,

A silly question that has bothered me for a long time. I know how to attach a file using the link at the bottom of the post. However, most people have the same image embedded in the body of the post, large so people can see it. How does one do that?

I ask because I have a couple of "Raining Men" images ready.

Thanks.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited November 2018
    Valkeerie said:

Hi,

A silly question that has bothered me for a long time. I know how to attach a file using the link at the bottom of the post. However, most people have the same image embedded in the body of the post, large so people can see it. How does one do that?

I ask because I have a couple of "Raining Men" images ready.

Thanks.

@Valkeerie

It's a two step process.

1. Attach the image and Post Comment.
    2. Edit the comment. (Hover over the upper right of your comment and a small gear icon will appear. Click that and then click on "Edit")
      • Right-click on the attachment and look for the link location. (For Firefox, for example, you would select Copy Link Location.
      • Position your cursor in the post where you want the image to appear and then click on the small "image" icon in tool bar.
      • In the resulting popup dialog, fill out the relevant fields, URL, Alternative Text, and if the image is larger than 800 pixels wide, be sure to enter a width value. Then click on OK to embed the image.
      • With the large image showing in the edit screen, click on the blue "Save Comment" button.

It's actually much easier than the above sounds! smiley

Post edited by L'Adair on