It's Raining Men! Annual Contest - Winners Announced!

Comments

• And, I think we have our first entry by a PA for the PA category! I really hope there are some other PAs who feel like a challenge because that first entry by @DarwinsMishap looks pretty good. I think he needs a little competition. ;)

Always. ;)

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Carrara render added

2nd entry - Carrara render added

• Hi there

L'Adair said:
    Valkeerie said:

Hi,

A silly question that has bothered me for a long time. I know how to attach a file using the link at the bottom of the post. However, most people have the same image embedded in the body of the post, large so people can see it. How does one do that?

I ask because I have a couple of "Raining Men" images ready.

Thanks.

@Valkeerie

It's a two step process.

1. Attach the image and Post Comment.
    2. Edit the comment. (Hover over the upper right of your comment and a small gear icon will appear. Click that and then click on "Edit")
      • Right-click on the attachment and look for the link location. (For Firefox, for example, you would select Copy Link Location.
      • Position your cursor in the post where you want the image to appear and then click on the small "image" icon in tool bar.
      • In the resulting popup dialog, fill out the relevant fields, URL, Alternative Text, and if the image is larger than 800 pixels wide, be sure to enter a width value. Then click on OK to embed the image.
      • With the large image showing in the edit screen, click on the blue "Save Comment" button.

It's actually much easier than the above sounds! smiley

Thank you, I will give that a go :-)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

Please what actually makes an image 'Toon'; and what is meant by quirky?

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I do not think there is a good enough challenger for Darwin!!! Lolz

I would love to see the PA who is brave enough to post their render against his smiles!!!devilkiss

• *rubs hands* 

I am still working on an enormous render for the PC contest, but then... muhahaha. 

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited November 2018
    Valkeerie said:

Hi,

A silly question that has bothered me for a long time. I know how to attach a file using the link at the bottom of the post. However, most people have the same image embedded in the body of the post, large so people can see it. How does one do that?

I ask because I have a couple of "Raining Men" images ready.

Thanks.

I use a slightly modified version of the process L'Adair mentioned.

1. Attach the image and Post Comment.
    2. Right-click on the attachment and choose "Open in New Tab" or "Open in New Window" depending on your preference. I do this to make sure the image looks correct in it's larger form. Probably unecessary, but it makes me feel better. :)
    3. Copy the URL from the new tab/window
    4. Edit the comment. (Hover over the upper right of your comment and a small gear icon will appear. Click that and then click on "Edit")
      • Position your cursor in the post where you want the image to appear and then click on the small "image" icon in tool bar.
      • In the resulting popup dialog, fill out the relevant fields:
        • Paste the URL copied in step 3
        • Alternative Text (optional)
        • If the image is larger than 800 pixels wide, be sure to enter a width value. (I typically use 640)
      • Click on OK to embed the image.
      • With the large image showing in the edit screen, click on the blue "Save Comment" button.
    Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I'm really looking forward to this contest. I've had a couple of ideas for male based images for a while now, but never found the motivation needed to work on them. This contest is providing that. :) So far about 1/4 of the way to composing my first image.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    JonnyRay said:

I'm really looking forward to this contest. I've had a couple of ideas for male based images for a while now, but never found the motivation needed to work on them. This contest is providing that. :) So far about 1/4 of the way to composing my first image.

I have often found a contest/challenge gives me the motivation and/or direction I need to create an image.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I have often found a contest/challenge gives me the motivation and/or direction I need to create an image.

+1 It was a Daz contest I really wanted to win that took me from not knowing squat, to finally apply myself to learn Daz Studio.

It's great motivation, and when you don't have the skills to match your vision, it can be a great learning experience, too. (Search the forums for answers when you get stumped, but use Google. Type in site:www.daz3d.com/forums/ followed by what you're trying use. For example: "site:www.daz3d.com/forums/ dForm weight map" without the quotes. I include the "www." to prevent G from including results from other versions of the site, many of which have answers in languages I don't know.)

JonnyRay said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your art. You're a "newbie" by the rules definition, aren't you? Regardless, I'm pretty sure you're going to have a lot of fun. Welcome to the other MM, (Male Madness!)

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221
    JonnyRay said:

I recently finished my own personal challenge on my DeviantArt page, doing a render of each male character and figure, with their stock morph settings, starting with Michael 4.
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    Timbales said:
    JonnyRay said:

I recently finished my own personal challenge on my DeviantArt page, doing a render of each male character and figure, with their stock morph settings, starting with Michael 4.

That is amazing.  I could never be that organized.  I try to do a RRRR (Random Runtime) from time to time to force me to branc out (and use all that content I have acquired).

edited November 2018

George of the Jungle. Used the G8F Amazon Warrior Outfit as a Tarzan suit. Carrara render.

George of the Jungle - DAZ Studio 1.png
    2426 x 1040 - 789K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Bunyip, what were the beautiful trees and plants that you used?

Vyusur said:

Bunyip, what were the beautiful trees and plants that you used?

+1

@Bunyip02_Carrara, I'd love to know which trees and plants you used as well.

Hello Vyusur & L'Adair

Banyan trees, Ferns, Grass & Monstera https://www.daz3d.com/tropical-pond

Banana Plant https://www.daz3d.com/rpc-volume-5-jungle-rainforest-1-for-daz-studio-and-vue

Jungle Vine (that George is holding onto) https://www.daz3d.com/jungle-vines

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited November 2018

Nice work Bunyip02

:) 

edit removed image - misunderstood instructions!

thanks L'Adair and Knittingmommy

with the CarFile as well

Post edited by Headwax on

@Headwax_Carrara, I think I met that guy once… Great image!

Anyway, this is the discussion thread. If you intended to enter the contest, you'll need to put your images in the entry thread. Also, there has been a change to the rules this year and images need to be entered without signatures. Be sure and attach the entry image to the post, too, as Kinittingmommy will need it when she sets up the voting.

(FWIW, I have no idea why the other Carrara entrants have posted their Carrara screenshots here.)

edited November 2018

Thankyou and thanks for the explanation :)

There is a thread in the Carrara forum that says we should post our Carrara screen shots - maybe to say we are using Carrara.

After looking at previous threads I thought we needed to post our work here first - ha ha should have guessed by the disparity between t his and the entry thread .

Obliged for the guiding hand ;)

regards from Oz

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited November 2018

*rubs hands* 

I am still working on an enormous render for the PC contest, but then... muhahaha. 

@Fussel2107, Same here. Except for, maybe, the muhahaha. wink I'm finally rendering the thing, and even with my GTX1080, it's taking about 10 seconds per iteration, (about 355 per hour.) As the image evolved, I ended up exchanging Eirian wearing the Miellyn Outfit for a couple of guys with swords. Maybe I should enter it in this contest instead!

Post edited by L'Adair on

There is a thread in the Carrara forum that says we should post our Carrara screen shots - maybe to say we are using Carrara.

After looking at previous threads I thought we needed to post our work here first - ha ha should have guessed by the disparity between t his and the entry thread .

regards from Oz

You're welcome.

And that is correct, Carrara entries need to have both the completed render and the screenshot.

• You guys are chatty when I'm asleep. I've updated the prize post with another prize to 1st place. Thank you, @Mardook for supporting the It's Raining Men contest. It's much appreciated. So, everyone go check out the prizes and get inspired.

L'Adair said:

regards from Oz

You're welcome.

And that is correct, Carrara entries need to have both the completed render and the screenshot.

Sorry for any confusion Headwax_Carrara. L'Adair is correct it. All images and entries with screenshots for Carrara users, only need to upload to the Entry Thread. We try to make things simple here and you guys are already uploading your files to two threads over in the Carrara forum. No need to jump through as many hoops here.

• L'Adair said:

*rubs hands* 

@Fussel2107, Same here. Except for, maybe, the muhahaha. wink I'm finally rendering the thing, and even with my GTX1080, it's taking about 10 seconds per iteration, (about 355 per hour.) As the image evolved, I ended up exchanging Eirian wearing the Miellyn Outfit for a couple of guys with swords. Maybe I should enter it in this contest instead!

I managed the setup and his has about 500 items and start it tonight. :D

Can't wait :) 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300

Any chance on clarification of 'Quirky' and 'Toon'?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Quirky    Off beat,   unusual in an attractive and interesting way 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    L'Adair said:

@Headwax_Carrara, I think I met that guy once… Great image!

Anyway, this is the discussion thread. If you intended to enter the contest, you'll need to put your images in the entry thread. Also, there has been a change to the rules this year and images need to be entered without signatures. Be sure and attach the entry image to the post, too, as Kinittingmommy will need it when she sets up the voting.

(FWIW, I have no idea why the other Carrara entrants have posted their Carrara screenshots here.)

haha

that's where I got my muse for my first entry 'Wondering Why!' ( posted in the entry thread wink )

Aussie Carrara users like to post their images anywhere they can.... why, I only just seen a dog wandering down the street with what looked like a Carrara render painted on it's side devil

I think @Bunyip02_Carrara may of been down my way for a weekend getaway.... or even @Headwax_Carrara may of been hanging five... .angel

AvaGudWeegend yes

You guys are chatty when I'm asleep. I've updated the prize post with another prize to 1st place. Thank you, @Mardook for supporting the It's Raining Men contest. It's much appreciated. So, everyone go check out the prizes and get inspired.

L'Adair said:

regards from Oz

You're welcome.

Sorry for any confusion Headwax_Carrara. L'Adair is correct it. All images and entries with screenshots for Carrara users, only need to upload to the Entry Thread. We try to make things simple here and you guys are already uploading your files to two threads over in the Carrara forum. No need to jump through as many hoops here.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Well a toon cowboy that favored Tom Petty of the former band Tom Petty & the Heart Breakers won 1st Place last year. If you hesitate to do any post processing that entry did post processing as well.

As far as quirky goes well those aren't excluded either but were evaluated with the other entries. eg, the cowboy render that won was quirky. There is also a complete category that requires a piece of modeled 3D woman's clothing or accessory to be worn or repurposed in the rendered entry by the modeled male character so that section of the contest is seperate from the other sections and heavily favours entries that most would deem 'quirky'.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

As far as quirky goes well those aren't excluded either but were evaluated with the other entries. eg, the cowboy render that won was quirky. There is also a complete category that requires a piece of modeled 3D woman's clothing or accessory to be worn or repurposed in the rendered entry by the modeled male character so that section of the contest is seperate from the other sections and heavily favours entries that most would deem 'quirky'.

As I offered the prize for the "Quirky"  I think I have the right to define what I meant, so I repeat

Quirky    Off beat,   unusual in an attractive and interesting way