Diomede's Notepad, Sketchpad, and Chilling Pad

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Made some changes to my claymation series for the film noir challenge.  There were three categories (B/W with liht gel, pinup/portrait, and homage to a book or movie).  I decided to have a Hanna and Barbera claymation theme for all of my entries, as discussed above.  Rachel the red haired racketeer wreaks havoc at the north pole.  All figures and props are originals.  Here are the final entries.

B/W with light gel, the Fred Estaire claymation north pole postman gets drunk with a crumpled picture of Rachel and he on vacation.

Pinup/Portrait - Rachel the redheaded racketeer uses Fred to get his postal uniform and snow vehicle to get up to the north pole.

Homage to movie / book.  Rachel the Red Haired Racketeer instead of Rudolph the...    She wants Santa's naughty lists so she can run an extortion ring.

A tip by JoeQuick for using the puppet Felton with G8M.  Seems like it would be useful for any extreme morphs.

Here's a "pro tip" regarding clothes, two paths depending on whether or not the clothes already have smoothing.

1) Select the item of clothing

2) Check to see if it already has mesh smoothing (it will be under parameters, general, mesh smoothing). 

3) if it does, make sure that smoothing is on,and the smoothing type is "base shape matching", then crank the smoothing iterations up to 25.  

This should solve most issues.  Occassionally you might have to go higher with iterations, occassionally the clothingwill fall apart or explode.

or, if the clothing doesn't already have smoothing added to it.

1) Select the item of clothing

2) right click the scene tab, edit/geometry/add smoothing modifier

3) then in your parameters tab, make sure that smoothing is on,and the smoothing type is "base shape matching", then crank the smoothing iterations up to 25.  

Like before, this should solve most issues.  Occassionally you might have to go higher with iterations, occassionally the clothingwill fall apart or explode.

After doing either of these, you can also bake the new  morphs and then save them out so that you don't have to do it again.

edited June 2018

Some NAE pieces I put together for the film noir challenge.

She is not intimidated or impressed with this guy's gun. Doesn't even drop her cigarette.

and here is the femme fatale's ex husband. He's not easily impressed either.

And this is an NAE for the noir cigarette seller ladies, like the one used by Sidney in Sweet Smell of Success

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited June 2018

And I did this next image for the RRRR challenge with the theme of 404 not found.  Daz Studio render.

And this was done for a side challenge in the Carrara forum to make and render something delicious.  

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Caves and overhangs are one problem, but another is lack of vertical resolution when you start making high terrains such as mountains or cliffs.  (I've tried making horizontal "cliffs" and putting them on their side, but that still wasn't very satiscactory)

For the shaders, a working start point:
    Metalicity = 0 (only needs to be 1 for metals)
    Base Color = colour map
    Glossy Roughness = 0.4. Lower is more glossy, higher is more matte (if you have a roughness map, set the value to 1)
    Base Bump = bump map
    Normal Map = normal map

Unless you're getting into more exotic materials - fluids, glass, anisotropy etc - that's really all you need to worry about. You can have both bump and normal maps in Iray, but you don't have to. I suspect the big problem you're going to run into with that size of terrain is your shader will look good for distance renders, but will look rubbish close up (your effective resolution may be in feet per pixel, not pixels per foot!) There are ways around that with procedural shaders, but that starts to get quite complex!

Thanks, TangoAlpha.  This refers to the terrain from the previous page, I assume.  I've abandoned that particular workflow and am trying out PD Howler as an alternative terrain generator and texture creator.  Have some travels coming up, but I will report on the Howler landscape experiments when I get back later this month.

Caves and overhangs are one problem, but another is lack of vertical resolution when you start making high terrains such as mountains or cliffs.  (I've tried making horizontal "cliffs" and putting them on their side, but that still wasn't very satiscactory)

For the shaders, a working start point:
    Metalicity = 0 (only needs to be 1 for metals)
    Base Color = colour map
    Glossy Roughness = 0.4. Lower is more glossy, higher is more matte (if you have a roughness map, set the value to 1)
    Base Bump = bump map
    Normal Map = normal map

Unless you're getting into more exotic materials - fluids, glass, anisotropy etc - that's really all you need to worry about. You can have both bump and normal maps in Iray, but you don't have to. I suspect the big problem you're going to run into with that size of terrain is your shader will look good for distance renders, but will look rubbish close up (your effective resolution may be in feet per pixel, not pixels per foot!) There are ways around that with procedural shaders, but that starts to get quite complex!

edited July 2018

Haven't updated my Studio thread for a while.  Need to get back to doing regular renders to try to learn this software.  In the meantime, I'm brushing up on my prop/figure creation tools.  Some can be found in the thread to encourage creation of content for males.  I am slowly going into the details of modeling, material zones, uvmapping, transfer utility, weightmaps, adjustment morphs, and DForce.  For this shirt project, I am using Hexagon and Studio.

You can find the detals of the golf shirt project here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3806031/#Comment_3806031

Here is an intermediate stage of my current project - a golf shirt.  By intermediate, I just mean that I haven't added important details like wrinkles, folds, buttons, etc.

Thank you, @IceDragonArt.  By following Sonja's advice, I cleared up a ton of space on my computer.  Uninstalling and reinstalling with (delete packages after install) checked has made a big difference.  Took a long time, but it was definitely worth it.

IceDragonArt said  Yes if you uninstall and re install they will delete the install files as long as the box is checked.

Thank you for the anniversary wishes, I am hoping for another 30 as well lol.

And yes most sets transfer well.  I can't find the thread that details how to improve some of the ones that don't convert well but as soon as I come across it again, I will post it.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Most welcome!  I know when someone told me about it I was like, well, THAT was useful lol. One of those odd little things you just don't know unless someone asks the right questions I guess.

edited July 2018

Been doing more experimenting than rendering these days, so here are a couple of quick tributes to Mike Hoffman fantasy art.

Spacegirl 2a composite 2.jpg
    909 x 1200 - 595K
    Pentapus 1a.jpg
    1219 x 1600 - 186K
    edited August 2018

Here is a try for something suitable for the cover of a new Dark Shadows series.  Also posted in Book cvers thread.

edited September 2018

I still don't have a good grasp of the principles of Iray surfaces.  Modeled the tree with the cut and the tree stump.  Shaders are pretty dam awful.  The Brute 8 with the lumberjack outfit, Morenus hair, and Odin beard.

lumberjack 01.jpg
    800 x 640 - 501K

A quick homage to one of the all time greats.  The theme this month for the Carrara challenge is pioneers.  This is not an entry but I wanted to doodle this morning.

• I like the book cover concept.  I can't help with the shaders, I don't know enough about how they work in Studio to be of any use. The only shader tree I really understand even remotely is Carrarra.  I'm really hoping that real life will slow down enough after we get back from vacation to be able to get back to learning to model.  Its tugging at me but there are only so many hours in the day.  Pesky day job just sucks up too many hours lol.  And I really like the look of the black and white, it has a very early tv ad feel to it which I really like.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 832

Love the film noire renders.  In the femme fatale, guy with a gun is a cutout?  Such crips edges to both.  That's Cararra?  Have *got* to solve CPU going into turbo mode.  No Cararra or Bryce. crying  Even 3DL in DS needs to be very small pixel dimensions.

Have some thoughts about goofy looking wooden surfaces in IRay if interested.  Am too chicken to suggest anything.  You've been into 3D how long?  : )

best

--Bruce

Thank you, Sonja and Bruce, for your constructive comments.  I need them desperately, which can be especially seen in the problems with the shaders in the lumberjack image. 

Sonja, I hate it when the day job gets in the way.  Learning to model can be very liberating, so I hope your time allows it.  I'm relatively comfortable pushing vertexes around, but now need to invest time in uvmapping and shaders.  There is always more! Part of the issue with the shaders is learning both the original program and how it translates to Studio settings.  My tree models looked a hell of a lot better in the original program. 

Bruce, please, don't assume I know anything.  Constructive criticim is always most welcome.  If you have suggestions or can point me to better resources for anything, no need to hesitate.

• TynkereTynkere Posts: 832
    edited September 2018
    Diomede said:
    Bruce, please, don't assume I know anything.  If you have suggestions or can point me to better resources for anything, no need to hesitate.

Safe assumption you have quite a bit more experience than I do.  : 0 !

You’ve probably already tried these, but on off chance...

If Iray Uber Base not yet applied-- you've tried ‘Matte’ rather than ‘plastic’ from surfaces pulldown menu?   

If Iray...

Surfaces tab ‘Base Mixing’ pulldown menu & select ‘Weighted’ rather than PBR Specular/Glossy or PBR Metalicity.  Have had some success in using this option as a quick way to make something matte if it’s glossy or metallic.

If no effect, or messes other things up, 'Iray uber base' then ‘Rubber - Matte’   

If too dull looking, “Plastic - Smooth” allows more options.  (A lot of wood items seem to be high gloss polyurethane & too reflective for my tastes.  Glossy Reflectivity at maybe .035 allows some highlights, more like what I’d see with old furniture, baseboards, etc.  (# of assumptions for other sliders: diffuse overlay & Dual Lobe at zero, etc.)

Be interested to see how they tree trunks come out.  Wish I could make my own stuff like that.  : )

Post edited by Tynkere on

@Tynkere - thank you very much for these suggestions.  I will give them a go.  Don't be fooled by my post count.  Most of my Daz-related experience is with Carrara.  I have very little experience with Studio.  Recently, I have been putting more time and effort in to learning Studio, so hopefully I am improving. Lights and shaders are my two biggest challenges right now.  Obviously, I can't make a half decent render if I can't get the lighting and shaders straightened out.

I haven't checked yet, but I bet your comment about the 'rubber - matte' is part of my poblem with the tree models.  Thanks again.  Will circle back when I get a chance.

edited October 2018

Creating my Claymation 3-Fingered G8M Morph

In the next few posts I will show my progress in creating a 3-fingered toon man for G8M.  At the moment, I have created the FBM in my modeler and used Daz Studio tools to apply to G8M.  

aa26 result if apply a preset pose see 3 fingers.JPG
    999 x 891 - 111K
    edited October 2018

Loaded the G8M mesh in my modeling app (use anything modeler you want).  Turned off smoothing.

Used the modeling apps tools to change the hands to 3 fingers instead of four, made the limbs very thin, made the torso rounded and formless, and made the face rounder with a bulbous nose.

Saved the mesh as an obj (remember, no smoothing!) to my Daz project files folder.  Made sure scaling was appropriate.

aa01 load mistys g8m character in carrara.JPG
    1845 x 1023 - 196K
    aa06 and i've made limbs very thin and torso oblong.JPG
    1385 x 979 - 116K
    aa08 export as obj to my G8M FBM folder.JPG
    1905 x 926 - 156K
    aa09 export settings daz studio morph target morphs and skinning no maps and remember turn off smoothing in modeler.JPG
    1116 x 636 - 88K

I started a new Daz Studio scene and loaded the default G8M.  Found morph loader pro in the EDIT FIGURE menu.  When the morphloader menu appeared, I navigated to my saved obj file.  I clicked the triangle next to my morph name to see the full menu.  I changed the ocation so that it would be in ACTOR PEOPLE, but you can put wherever you want.  Accepted and confirmed the creation of the morph.  Found the morph in the parameters pane for G8M.  Dialed to 1 to confirm that the morph changes the mesh.  Note that the skeleton no longer perfectly matches the figure.

aa10 open studio and load g8m.JPG
    1551 x 807 - 155K
    aa11 find morph loader pro using EDIT FIGURE.JPG
    1499 x 852 - 160K
    aa13 click triangle to open menu can change name location etc.JPG
    656 x 573 - 57K
    aa14 click accept and get confirmation that morph was created.JPG
    950 x 650 - 56K
    aa15 find new morph in parameters pane.JPG
    1254 x 864 - 109K
    aa16 set morph to 1 and see changes.JPG
    1609 x 895 - 120K

To correct the skeleton, I used the joint edtor.  You can find the tool icon on the top menu, or use the top menu to naviagte to TOOLS  JOINT EDITOR.  Once the joint editr is activated, you should see the skeleton.  Right click in the scene to brin up the joint editor menu.  Navigate to EDIT   ADJUST RIGGNG TO SHAPE.  Accepted all changes.  The viewport shows that the skeleton was moved to fit the hands.

aa17 tools joint editor see skeleton no longer matches the morphed mesh.JPG
    1606 x 870 - 151K
    aa18 right click edit adjust rigging to shapebrings up menu want all checked and accept.JPG
    1511 x 918 - 171K
    aa19 see skeleton i hands has improved.JPG
    1433 x 865 - 129K
    edited October 2018

The last step was to use ERC FREEZE so that the changes would be associated with the morph dial in future sessions.  To find ERC FEEZE, I opened the parameters pane and found my new morph's dial.  I right clicked on the parameters dial and chose edit mode.  I then right clicked aain and in the edit menu chose ERC FREEZE.  Using the menu, Imade sure that the ERC FREEZE was for the morph dial by going to where I had placed it whe I first importd the mesh using morphloader pro.  In this case, that was ACTOR   PEOPLE.  I then accepted with my morph checked.  I then saved my new morph as a morph asset, and then I saved my new character as a scene subset.

aa20 in parameters pane right click on morph and go to edit mode.JPG
    785 x 444 - 42K
    aa21 right click again and choose ERC Freeze to bring up parts menu and accept.JPG
    1349 x 831 - 147K
    aa22 save as support asset morph asset find morph and put check mark and your vendor name etc.JPG
    1147 x 894 - 122K
    aa23 file save as scene subset g8m 3figered toon.JPG
    1358 x 734 - 112K

Testing

I started a new Daz Studio scene.  I loaded the default G8M.  I found my morph parameter and dialed to 1.  I applied a random action pose.  And look, the three fingered man's hand seems to have behaved reasonably well.  There are some adjstments to JCMs that should be made for clothing, especially near the crotch, but I have a working toon guy.

aa26 result if apply a preset pose see 3 fingers.JPG
    999 x 891 - 111K
    edited October 2018

Creating Clothing designed for Morphed Character Shape

I will be making a clothing set for my claymation toon character.  In the next few posts,I will provide screenshots of how I made clothes designed for my character, but that could also be used for other G8M morphs.  Pretty simple, model the clothes around your morphed figure, then in the transer utility check the box to reverse to shape.  I will start with the boots.

- I started by loading G8M in my modeler and making sure that my Toon FBM was applied.

- I modeled a simple pair of toon boots around the feet and ankles.  Low res boots, but I did add soles, straps, and buckles for a little detail.

- After uvmapping, I exported the boots as an obj

- I made sure to use the Daz Studio Full Scene preset because I made the boots from scratch, not as a morph of a loaded Daz file.

bb01 boots modeled to fit morphed shape.JPG
    1719 x 864 - 156K
    bb02 export obj.JPG
    1369 x 861 - 140K
    bb03 export as whole scene preset.JPG
    781 x 629 - 69K
    edited October 2018

- I started a new Daz Studio scene and loaded G8M.  I found the parameter dial for my toon character and dialed to 1.  The shape changed appropriately.

- I imported my boots obj, and made sure the scale matched my modeling export preset.

- The boots load and fit the morphed G8M as expected.

bb04 daz studio load g8m and dial up FBM.JPG
    1527 x 906 - 149K
    bb05 import obj and navigate to folder.JPG
    1218 x 721 - 125K
    bb06 make sure use correct preset to match scale.JPG
    1167 x 775 - 117K
    bb07 boots come in and fit fm shape.JPG
    1420 x 821 - 104K
    edited October 2018

- To use the transfer utlity, with my boots selected in the scene pane, I went to the top menu and applied EDIT  OBJECT  TRANSFER UTILITY.

- The transfer utility appears.  Make sure that you choose G8m in the left column (source) and the boots obj on the right column (target).

- Click "show options" to see the full menu

- Under both the source and the target choose "Current" instead of default for the shape.

- Check the box to reverse the shape.

- After the transfer utility does its thing, the boots fit the morphed G8M.  

- As a test, I dialed the G8M morph back to zero, whic is the default G8M shape, and the boots adapted to the default shape.  yesyes

bb08 edit object transfer utility.JPG
    1401 x 877 - 123K
    bb09 show options make sure to check reverse source with target.JPG
    1352 x 941 - 142K
    bb10 see conform in morphed shape.JPG
    1446 x 832 - 129K
    bb11 see boots conform when go back to default shape.JPG
    1455 x 789 - 104K

- I then saved the boots as their own support asset, figure.

- As a test, I started a new Daz Studio empty scene.

- I loaded default G8M.

- I navigated to my saved boots figure.

- I conformed the boots to default G8M and to my deisred morph.  yesyes

bb12 save the boots as a scene subset.JPG
    1343 x 893 - 131K
    bb14 start new Studio scene and load G8M.JPG
    1419 x 887 - 152K
    bb15 navigate to my saved boots.JPG
    1331 x 854 - 132K
    bb16 boots load and conform to G8M.JPG
    1444 x 909 - 119K
    bb17 select g8m and apply fbm and the boots conform to new shape which is one designed for.JPG
    1346 x 859 - 122K