Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89
    th3Digit said:

it looks like those other vertices are welded to some of the ones you select

the only way you could move parts of it is using magnets or rigging, or reweld the whole thing which could destroy the UV mapping.

Thanks for answering.

I don't think it's that, because if I use "grow selection", it works perfectly. The problem is only with "soft selection".

I just found a way: I tried the various settings for the reimport of the obj file and found that selecting "Create a Polymesh per Material" solves the pb. There's only one material so it creates only one mesh, as with the default setting ("Create a single polymesh"), but this way the soft selection works. Don't ask me why ...

Of course there's no rigging anymore, but I think I know how to put it back with DazStudio. And UV mapping is still here !

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,792
    MerKhrys said:
    th3Digit said:

the only way you could move parts of it is using magnets or rigging, or reweld the whole thing which could destroy the UV mapping.

Thanks for answering.

I don't think it's that, because if I use "grow selection", it works perfectly. The problem is only with "soft selection".

I just found a way: I tried the various settings for the reimport of the obj file and found that selecting "Create a Polymesh per Material" solves the pb. There's only one material so it creates only one mesh, as with the default setting ("Create a single polymesh"), but this way the soft selection works. Don't ask me why ...

Of course there's no rigging anymore, but I think I know how to put it back with DazStudio. And UV mapping is still here !

you could load it in DAZ studio on the top via morphloader and save it as a morph asset

make sure is base resolution 

check with an obj import if it's the same scale and position 

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89
    th3Digit said:
    MerKhrys said:
    th3Digit said:

Thanks for answering.

you could load it in DAZ studio on the top via morphloader and save it as a morph asset

make sure is base resolution 

check with an obj import if it's the same scale and position 

I used the figure transfer utility with the original item as a model and I got back the rigging, and it seems to work well, and the soft selection also works now !

There was an additionnal step though as if I imported directly the mesh in studio I got the problem back in Carrara at the end (the option that makes it work in Carrara doesn't exist in studio). So I had first to export the obj in dae format (in Carrara) and import that dae in studio. I had to alter the scale and very slightly the position.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,642
    edited June 2018

DAZ Dog 8

When loaded straight into Carrara, any poses applied to it would not work.

Solution: In DAZ Studio open Dog 8 (or one of the Breeds), then click on the Edit Tab, click on Figure, then click on Rigging in side tab, then click on Convert TriAx/General Weight to Blended Weight.

Once this is done then go into the File Tab and save as a Chracter Preset, save to a location where you can find the file, I also added "bw" to the filename to indicate it is now blended weight.

Load the blended weight file into Carrara.

It will have black eyes from the EyeMoisture shader.

Open the EyeMoisture shader, then click on the double down facing arrows to bring up the options, click on Value (0-100%), leave at 0%

Have fun

Dog 8 DAZbw 1.png
    2848 x 1037 - 1M
    Dog 8 EyeMoisture 1.png
    987 x 893 - 219K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

thanks for that!!!! 

edited June 2018

Seasectoid Creature - https://www.daz3d.com/seasectoid-creature

Workaround

Another item that needs to be converted to blended weight. Follow the procedure for converting to Blended Weight as outlined in DAZ Dog 8.

Both the main body and the Tendril need converting to blended weight.

If loading the Tendril after the main body, parent the Tendril to the head but Fit to None.

If loading multiple Tendrils parent each to the head, when the DSF File Import tab opens click on Import as new. Position each Tendril pair as required.

Some of the morphs when applied also close the eyes.

Also when the provided poses are applied an error message comes up, you will need to manually pose the figure.

Seasectoid Workaround 1.png
    2683 x 1037 - 891K
    Seasectoid Workaround 2.png
    2681 x 1035 - 845K
    Seasectoid Workaround 3.png
    2725 x 1033 - 898K
    edited July 2018

I will have to stop buying stuff soon !!!!!

Workarounds continued.

System 46 - https://www.daz3d.com/system-46-for-genesis-3-female-s

Requires Mistys Genesis 3 workaround available at Rendo.

Load Janette first of all.

In Genesis 3 Female, look in the Character for System 46, don't click on the two options under Character, but click on System 46 folder to find two options, click on one of them to apply to Janette.

Next click on Materials folder, select one of the full character options. Once applied there will be a problem with both the Cornea 1 & Eyelash 1 shaders.

Click on both the Cornea 1 & Eyelash shaders to edit them.

In the Alpha channel click on the double down pointing arrows to bring up the options, click on Value (o-100%), leave at 0%, change both shaders.

There is a problem with the Half Human Material options causing the human skin option to be black. I have checked the textures and they are the same UV layout as for the Genesis 3 female figures, to use as Half Human will require editing in your favourite graphics program. A bit of work but not impossible. Also the emissive light details will require a bit of graphics work (unless someone wiser has got a better solution)

Looks good when applied, will be useful for my Sci-Fi critters.

System46 1.png
    2722 x 1035 - 524K
    System46 2.png
    3840 x 1080 - 855K
    System46 3b.png
    2272 x 1037 - 455K
    System46 4.png
    2591 x 1040 - 687K
    System46 5.png
    3839 x 2070 - 2M
    edited July 2018

System 46 - after a little graphics work and Glow channel application.

System46 6.png
    2270 x 1035 - 676K
    edited July 2018

System 46 - half human textures updated, with reflection and HDRI

System46 8.png
    1921 x 1040 - 2M
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Bunyip, excellent information, on all the above, thanks!

I feel bad because I had bought both System46 and Dog8, immeadiately used both in Carrara and never thought to share my methods in doing so.

The Blended weight conversion  I even created a DAZ studio keyboard shortcut for.

For System 46 I used layers in the shaders BTW

th3Digit said:

I feel bad because I had bought both System46 and Dog8, immeadiately used both in Carrara and never thought to share my methods in doing so.

The Blended weight conversion  I even created a DAZ studio keyboard shortcut for.

Hello Wendy, when I first saw Dog 8 I thought "oh-no, Gen 8 problems for Carrara" but I saw that you were adding hair to the dog so I thought that it must be workable. When I loaded Dog 8 in Carrara imediately found the problem with the rigging so I followed Misty's advice about converting to Blended Weight (thanks Misty).

System 46, would love to see a screenshot of your layers in the shaders !!!!     I muck around with the graphics in Paint Shop Pro as I enjoy doing that type of work.

edited July 2018

I bought Stonemason's Old West and of course it needed both the ABoo 23 to ABoo 3 notepad hack and Totte's instances to objects script in DAZ studio making it a very heavy scene to edit in notepad too

but surprisingly after those fixes the shaders looked OK

I downloaded the 30 day Autodesk Maya trial and soon got frustrated by it freezing worse than Hexagon but managed to export some Unity asset mb Coyotes as FBX which loaded fine in Carrara and as animation groups could share the created NLA clips on one.

Added to my Ghost town, will try pared down Selina tumbleweeds next

the Coyote too much fur
    https://www.facebook.com/wendy5/videos/10215384452278530/

coyote0060.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 529K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Bunyip, excellent information, on all the above, thanks!

yes thanks Bunyip02 !

th3Digit said:

never feel bad you've done plenty for us all already

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,794

@th3Digit can you tell/show the steps for making that shortcut? 

Stezza said:

@th3Digit can you tell/show the steps for making that shortcut? 

under customise you can expand things and add or change keyboard shortcuts, I just found where the convert to Blended weight option was and made "x" my shortcut

I also changed the wasd navigation to the arrow keys while there 

I missed this post.. thanks Wendy..

@Bunyip02 you didn't happen to get the HH Spinosaurus and Prey did you... and if so does it work in Carrara

also anyone else who may of purchased it can help with the answer as well... thanks

edited August 2018
    Stezza said:

@Bunyip02 you didn't happen to get the HH Spinosaurus and Prey did you... and if so does it work in Carrara

also anyone else who may of purchased it can help with the answer as well... thanks

Is very tempting but I do have a couple of earlier models which are quite nice, having said that, you can never have too many dinosaurs.

Dinos.png
    2571 x 956 - 882K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

you can never have too many dinosaurs.

+1 

Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

Is very tempting but I do have a couple of earlier models which are quite nice, having said that, you can never have too many dinosaurs.

that's some collection!

head wax said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    Stezza said:

that's some collection!

Loved dinosaurs when I was a kid, got some E-toys to play with now !!!!!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Usually, stuff for Genesis 2 and earlier figures works fine in Carrara.  However, occasionally a speciifc item will have problems. Here is anexample.  I am getting an error when I try to conform the top from the outfit called Capricornia to The Girl 6.  Have had the outfit forever but never used it.  Pretty sure it came in a bundle.  I will attach a link to t he product page and a screencap of the error.

https://www.daz3d.com/capricornia-for-genesis-2-female-s

dd01 problems G2F conform.JPG
    1742 x 815 - 180K
  • it is often caused by JCMs or other DS only addons, yes I get the occasional one too

edited September 2018
    Diomede said:

Usually, stuff for Genesis 2 and earlier figures works fine in Carrara.  However, occasionally a speciifc item will have problems. Here is anexample.  I am getting an error when I try to conform the top from the outfit called Capricornia to The Girl 6.  Have had the outfit forever but never used it.  Pretty sure it came in a bundle.  I will attach a link to t he product page and a screencap of the error.

https://www.daz3d.com/capricornia-for-genesis-2-female-s

I have Capricornia in my library.

Was wondering if I converted it to blended weight would it work, so did the conversion and tried it, naaahh, came up with a similar error.

One thing I noticed was that the error did not crash my computer. Hmmmm I thought !!!!!

Posed G2F with an Aiko 6 pose, then loaded the clothing onto G2F "without" fitting to G2F. Next I applied the same Aiko 6 pose to each of the clothing items. It worked.

Did not do any morphs on G2F just in case that ruined the friendship.

EDIT: If I was going to attach that outfit to Girl 6 I would fit it to Girl 6 in DAZ Studio, save the clothing as a character item, then load those saved items onto Girl 6 in Carrara which would get around having to fit them to Girl 6 in Carrara.

Capricornia workaround 1.png
    2881 x 1035 - 771K

I have some items that have the same problem.

I usually open in plugin called daz studio and export the item as an obj then import it back into DS onto the figure and use the transfer thingy and in most cases that works.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

first guess, there prolly a rigid group in the outfit.

we saw this with the shirt that time with the rigid buttons.

could try removing the rigid group with a text editor, or the dson editor.

or maybe a gui way inside (lol laugh)

the plugin called daz studio

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thanks for the suggestions, th3Digit, Bunyip, Stezza, and Mistara.  Note that I don't really need this for a project, I was just relaxing with a silly doodle.  But for completeness, thought the following might be interesting for identifying the some of the issues.  Don't waste your time on it just to help me, but you may be interested in the issues in general.

As per suggestions, I loaded the Girl 6 in the plugin, Daz Studio.  I conformed the Capricornia scifi outfit.  I saved Girl 6 and the outfit out as a scene subset.  In Carrara, I tried loading the scene subset.  I got a whole string of dsf errors about not finding morphs.  A figure with clothes loaded anyway.  A second warning displayed (nil pointer).  However, the figure did not appear to have Girl 6 morphs applied even though the Girl 6 morph dials can be seen to be set to 1.  As a check, I started a new scene and loaded The Girl 6 directly from my content folder.  Loaded fine.  Basicwear clothes loaded and conformed fine to The Girl 6.

bb01 girl 6 sved out as Studio scene subset error messages.JPG
    1750 x 987 - 330K
    bb02 girl 6 load with nil pointer.JPG
    1760 x 1028 - 165K
    bb03 girl 6 morph not applied.JPG
    1208 x 1030 - 188K
    bb04 girl 6 loads fine and conforms fine otherwise.JPG
    1713 x 908 - 174K
    edited September 2018
    Diomede said:

Thanks for the suggestions, th3Digit, Bunyip, Stezza, and Mistara.  Note that I don't really need this for a project, I was just relaxing with a silly doodle.  But for completeness, thought the following might be interesting for identifying the some of the issues.  Don't waste your time on it just to help me, but you may be interested in the issues in general.

As per suggestions, I loaded the Girl 6 in the plugin, Daz Studio.  I conformed the Capricornia scifi outfit.  I saved Girl 6 and the outfit out as a scene subset.  In Carrara, I tried loading the scene subset.  I got a whole string of dsf errors about not finding morphs.  A figure with clothes loaded anyway.  A second warning displayed (nil pointer).  However, the figure did not appear to have Girl 6 morphs applied even though the Girl 6 morph dials can be seen to be set to 1.  As a check, I started a new scene and loaded The Girl 6 directly from my content folder.  Loaded fine.  Basicwear clothes loaded and conformed fine to The Girl 6.

And the winner is - Stezza !!!!

Will do a series walkthrough of the obj-transfer thingy method later on, unless someone beats me to it. Do the tutes as much for my own information as everyone elses, often do something then get six months down the track and I am trying to remember how I got it to work before.

I tried my method but the Capricornia Top was refusing to play the game, so I tried Stezza's method. Misty's hunch could be right....

Capricornia - Stezza 1.png
    2279 x 1042 - 613K
  • I just purchased Secret Underground Base and Submarine. It renders fine in Studio (first picture) but has weird banding in Carrara (second picture). I loaded it into Carrara in several ways, 1. Directly into Carrara , 2. Through Studio as a DUF file, 3. From Studio as an OBJ and I have similar results. It seems to be a geometry issue and not a shader one since it shows the same banding with the default texture (third picture). Any ideas on how to fix it? 

Submarine Studio.png
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Submarine Carrara Textured.png
    1000 x 750 - 138K
    Submarine Not Textured.png
    1000 x 750 - 77K
    edited September 2018

Possibly try 

untick UV mapping 

thats a common problem with a lot of products. smiley

Im on my iPad so the wording may not be exact