Cartoons - how are you doing?

ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
edited September 2018 in Art Studio

Cartoons is one of my long lasting interests.

We got recently quite a lot different toon related products, like Cartoonized, Toon Generations etc.

If you are also a fan of cartoons please post your renders and the other thoughts related to the topic.

On my first render here, I have used Cartoonized Penny 8 and items from Toon Generations Mega-Bundle:

https://www.daz3d.com/cartoonized-for-genesis-8-female

https://www.daz3d.com/toon-generations-mega-bundle-for-genesis-8-males-and-females

Post edited by Artini on

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited September 2018

Just redid it with different materials - and I like it better.

Cartoons102pic05ps01.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 107K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I’m a sucker for cartoon stuff, heh.

Away on vacation so no renders right now, but want to say that having Toon Generations come out after Cartoonized isn’t competition, it’s synergy; I was resorting to going to toon generations for G3 for skin and hair. Now I don’t have to!

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,697

Waiting for renders of today’s newest generation... Sitting in my cart, but I have the previous generations that I barely used. I’d love to see some renders and how they mix with G8s...

edited September 2018

I do not like so much the materials, that came with todays toon generation.

Luckily, it is easy to change - they are all Genesis 8 based.

After playing with Cartoonized for Genesis 8 Females, I prefer standard materials,

that comes with most of Daz Characters.

The hair coming with the newest toon generation, also contains eyebrows, as well

and locked as a default. It was a bit of confusing, when I saw double eyebrows on Penny 8.

Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

After playing with Cartoonized for Genesis 8 Females, I prefer standard materials,

The hair coming with the newest toon generation, also contains eyebrows, as well

and locked as a default. It was a bit of confusing, when I saw double eyebrows on Penny 8.

Can you remove the eyebrows with cut-out opacity? If you want to use different hair, there are no eyebrows?

Artini said:

Can you remove the eyebrows with cut-out opacity? If you want to use different hair, there are no eyebrows?

Yes, that is, what I were doing - cut-out opacity set to 0.

edited September 2018

Anyway, below is my previous scene with Nursery room added.

https://www.daz3d.com/toon-nursery

Cartoons105pic02ps01.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 368K
    Post edited by Artini on

But if you want to use different hair, are there eyebrows?

Then, you could do the opposite - make cut-out opacity set to 0 for the hair, and use the different hair.

By the way, I have used different toon shaders on the hair, in my renders here.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

As for render engines, I use Carrara for toons because there are multiple toon options, several of which are capable of being mixed automatically in the render process.

There is the native Carrara renderer Toon III.  It includes the ability to override the scene's individual toon settings for specific elements, in case you want Dick Van Dyke to dance with toon penguins.

There is a free plugin to apply filters from GMIC to an image.  Not limited to GMIC's toon filters, but includes them.  The Toon III and GMIC filters can be mixed in the render process by Carrara, which is extremely helpful for animations because the same adjustments can be automatically applied to all frames.

There is a free plugin (until recently paid) from DCG called Toon Pro that has more options than the native Toon III option.  I only got this recently so am not sure about the degree to which it can be integrated with other options automaticaly when rendering many frames in an animation.

There is a free plugin called YAToon, which I've sen people use to approach an anime style.

edited September 2018

Ok, just a quick one - Toon Generation Age 10 , olive skin, eyebrows from the toon hair.

Added 50% of Luca - https://www.daz3d.com/luca-for-genesis-8-male

https://www.daz3d.com/commander-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8-male-s

https://www.daz3d.com/alt-style-outfit-for-genesis-8-male-s

ToonGenAge10sc03pic01.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 106K
    Post edited by Artini on

Thanks for the insights about Carrara possibilities, Diomede.

edited September 2018

Only a head, from the previous render:

ToonGenAge10sc02pic01.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 135K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited September 2018

Several downsides to using Carrara.  Most obvious is that Daz is no longer actively supporting Carrara development, not even to the extent of making sure new content can be loaded and manipulated in Carrara.  Genesis 3 and genesis 8 can only be used in Carrara because a superwiz user (Mistara) identified the G3/G8 bugs (one was a typo!) and created characters using the same mesh and bone skeleton as Genesis 3 and Genesis 8.  They can use most shape morphs, poses, etc., but the rigging must be converted to blended weight, which means it would be inaccurate to say that G3 and G8 tech is being fully used in Carrara, even though the meshes, shape morphs, bone skeletons, and clothing/hair are being used.  The mods occasionally come in and try to describe Misty's G3 and G8 characters as morphs, but in my interpretation that would imply that a G8 shape morph is being applied to Genesis or Genesis 2, which is not what Misty achieved.  

Post edited by Diomede on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited September 2018

Here is my latest cartoon render. I quite like it although I want to make another attempt at it next year when I get a new computer (to make bespoke flames for the Human Torch & bespoke water dripping off of the Submariner). I was somewhat surprised at how good the old Dystopia set looks. I have had that set the longest I think of any DAZ assets as a set of freebies I think but had never used them because the preset icons look so bland. .

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,247

I was *very* please to see a G8 version of Toon Generations in the store last night. I've been mixing semi-Toons with G3 for some months now, and have seen any number of G8 assets that I wanted to blend with them. Cartoonize works a little better for some things, and going at D.Master's Toon figures in the shaping tab to tone down some of the extremes is doable, but a bit of a pain. 

But when you have half of a cast of characters from one source and are trying to put together an ensemble, being able to step back and use different methods to blend things makes for a more harmonious whole.

Question: if you don’t get the hair, are there still brows on the figures?

Nice looking splashes, nonesuch00.

Artini said:

Only a head, from the previous render:

So no brows??? I don’t need the hair, I was just interested in the figures. That’s ridiculous that there are no brows! Losing a sale from me unless that is updated...

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited September 2018

My play I made my own 3DL material but here is ToonGeneration2 and Toon Generation8

"OMG!!! Your head got shrunk!!"

Did anyone else try the Bob hair gor G8Toon?  When I tried to render it it exploded .......

TG2andTG8.png
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • GreycatGreycat Posts: 332

A lot depends on your POV as to what continues a "Toon". I create characters for my comic. so they all need to look like they belong in the same world. Here a sample of some of hundreds character I’ve created.

Toon Character.jpg
    1275 x 1650 - 986K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Artini said:

Nice looking splashes, nonesuch00.

Thanks. They are from the Liquid Pack that was recently in the Quick Grab sale. A decent variety for a OK price.

edited September 2018

There are no brows included with the characters. You need to purchase the hair package or the Mega-Bundle to have eyebrows.

Post edited by Artini on

Nice comparison, carrie58, so it looks like one could use both generations in the same scene - that's great.

Great looking characters, Greycat. How did you manage to create such a vast amount of them?

My first video clip made with Toon Generation 8 Male. Created in Unity.

Artini said:

There are no brows included with the characters. You need to purchase the hair package or the Mega-Bundle to have eyebrows.

Probably going to skip this then. I barely used the previous toons and I can wait till this goes on a bigger sale and get the bundle then. That’s crazy selling a character without brows. I know I can use other brows, probably even those of the previous generation, but I shouldn’t have to.

• GreycatGreycat Posts: 332
    Artini said:

Great looking characters, Greycat. How did you manage to create such a vast amount of them?

I'll come up with details on how I create my characters tomorrow. Here's concept I have for a comic.

Star Reach.jpg
    638 x 825 - 80K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    edited September 2018

Carrara renders

Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Looks like a story, Bunyip02.