Cartoons - how are you doing?

Comments

• I got Larry.  Now I need to find his Leisure Suit, preferably in Lime Green :P

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837
    edited March 2019

Aiko 8 with 25% of Toon Girl.

https://www.daz3d.com/aiko-8

https://www.daz3d.com/toon-girl-and-girlish-outfit-for-genesis-8-females

Thanks for the tip from nonesuch00 - one could create great looking toon characters, that way.

Aiko803pic01NatBoostIII.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 370K
    Aiko802pic01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 380K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2019

One more iray render of Aiko 8 with 25% of Toon Girl.

Aiko806pic01GameDayII.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 249K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834
    edited March 2019

They've certainly come a long way from my feeble attempts!

Pretty cool stuff here, but I’m curious about the styles.  There’s the old Disney or Looney Tunes style I guess.  Anime of course (am thinking Evangelion 2 & maybe Asuka or whatever.) I guess pin-up art from 30s and into 40s on airplanes might be ‘Toonish.

But what’s something like Aiko, or “The Girl” or whatever?  They both seem to have exaggerated eyes and a pointy chin but that’s all I can really see. 

Is there a specific name for this style? 

Am not knocking it.  Had just been curious and this topic seemed perfect place to ask!  : )

Great renders all.  Will have to bookmark this one.

best 

--Bruce

_CartoonCat.png
    556 x 218 - 48K
    Post edited by Tynkere on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Artini said:

One more iray render of Aiko 8 with 25% of Toon Girl.

Looks really good. Now I have to buy the Larry Toon & see how he mixes. And then see how the toons mix with other toons (sometimes they don't mix good together at all because of the JCMs & MCMs)

Tynkere said:

They've certainly come a long way from my feeble attempts!

Pretty cool stuff here, but I’m curious about the styles.  There’s the old Disney or Looney Tunes style I guess.  Anime of course (am thinking Evangelion 2 & maybe Asuka or whatever.) I guess pin-up art from 30s and into 40s on airplanes might be ‘Toonish.

But what’s something like Aiko, or “The Girl” or whatever?  They both seem to have exaggerated eyes and a pointy chin but that’s all I can really see. 

Is there a specific name for this style? 

Am not knocking it.  Had just been curious and this topic seemed perfect place to ask!  : )

Great renders all.  Will have to bookmark this one.

best 

--Bruce

I don't think that the Girl 8 was ever was ever a popular style on the screen but I'd say it's Barbie Style with an enlarged head or Baby Doll style. 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253

Try Betty Boop. Plus, the '40s nose art pinup style. 

JOdel said:

I think that 40's Nose Art Pinup style was what was the inspiration for Barbie.

Thanks, nonesuch00.

edited March 2019

Below is an iray render of Bridget 8 with 25% of Toon Girl.

Bridget824pic01GameDayII.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 274K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • GreycatGreycat Posts: 332
    JOdel said:

I think that 40's Nose Art Pinup style was what was the inspiration for Barbie.

Just read (Barbie 60th) the design for Barbie was so it was easy dress and remove clothes from the doll. Barbie came out in 1959 long after the days of the pinup had passed.

World War 2 nose art was inspired by the pinup artists of the time. Artists like George Petty, Alberto Vargas, and others, some of who painted the nose art on the aircraft themselves.

Girl Pinup.jpg
    800 x 1161 - 77K
    Artini said:

Turns out the inspiration for Barbie was a German cartoon character & doll called Bild Lilli.

That's good. People often have these backgrounds of decoration style 'stars', 'hearts', and such...I think they call them Bokeh. Do you make those up for each render or is there a big library somewhere in different sizes like 4K, 2K, FHD, SD and so on? 

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Artini said:

Turns out the inspiration for Barbie was a German cartoon character & doll called Bild Lilli.

That's good. People often have these backgrounds of decoration style 'stars', 'hearts', and such...I think they call them Bokeh. Do you make those up for each render or is there a big library somewhere in different sizes like 4K, 2K, FHD, SD and so on? 

Bokeh refers to a soft out-of-focus background that you get when shooting a subject. It comes from the Japanese word boke, which means ‘blur’.

The key to achieving good bokeh is using a fast lens at its widest aperture.

I am using Fabiana's light sets from Renderosity: Theory of Light - Energy Flow Iray Lights, HDRIs and Props

edited March 2019

Below is an iray render of Lucas 8 with 25% of Toon Larry.

https://www.daz3d.com/lucas-8

https://www.daz3d.com/toon-larry-for-genesis-8-male

Lucas822pic02IntII.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 224K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • TynkereTynkere Posts: 834

Betty Boop!  Now that you mention it-- huge eyes-- maybe can see the resemblance.  (Think she was ‘rediscovered’ in the 90s with t-shirts, coffee mugs & things.)  Interesting about Barbie too btw.

One last question, then will kick back and just enjoy the renders.

Do you guys/gals animate them?  No false flattery, but some of them almost look like screen shots.  Find myself wanting to tap &  watch the rest of the cartoon!  : )

Best wishes on them! yes

--Bruce

Chohole said:
    Artini said:

Bokeh refers to a soft out-of-focus background that you get when shooting a subject. It comes from the Japanese word boke, which means ‘blur’.

The key to achieving good bokeh is using a fast lens at its widest aperture.

Thanks. OK, then what I want is a combo of fake, arty background combined with bokeh effects.

Artini said:

Below is an iray render of Lucas 8 with 25% of Toon Larry.

https://www.daz3d.com/lucas-8

https://www.daz3d.com/toon-larry-for-genesis-8-male

This character reminds me of Leisure Suit Larry that video game players of the 1980s might recognize and a character from the 1970s TV show Three's Company called Larry. Maybe Leisure Suit Larry was inspired by Three's Company Larry.

Artini said:

I am using Fabiana's light sets from Renderosity: Theory of Light - Energy Flow Iray Lights, HDRIs and Props

Ah, thanks. I think I will try to make my own "arty" backgrounds as I have J.Cade's Painter's Lights & The Philosopher's BOSS Portraiture Studio Lights, among others...

Tynkere said:

Betty Boop!  Now that you mention it-- huge eyes-- maybe can see the resemblance.  (Think she was ‘rediscovered’ in the 90s with t-shirts, coffee mugs & things.)  Interesting about Barbie too btw.

One last question, then will kick back and just enjoy the renders.

Do you guys/gals animate them?  No false flattery, but some of them almost look like screen shots.  Find myself wanting to tap &  watch the rest of the cartoon!  : )

Best wishes on them! yes

--Bruce

I will try to animate them in Unity game engine and see how it goes.

I do not have enough powerfull computer to render animations in iray in Daz Studio.

edited March 2019
    Artini said:

Ah, thanks. I think I will try to make my own "arty" backgrounds as I have J.Cade's Painter's Lights & The Philosopher's BOSS Portraiture Studio Lights, among others...

Maybe you  could try to model the curved surface to which you can assign the different images with the transparent background,

then put it behind the characters in the scene.

That's way, you could have a variety of 'stars', 'hearts' etc. projected on the rendering background.

Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:
    Artini said:

Maybe you  could try to model the curved surface to which you can assign the different images with the transparent background,

then put it behind the characters in the scene.

That's way, you could have a variety of 'stars', 'hearts' etc. projected on the rendering background.

I thought of that too and may still take that approch but I was also thinking maybe of writing a DAZ script to add pseudo randomly instancing various opaque emmissive simple geometric models (I'd have to model them or I could get out a book of mathematical formulas) in preassigned volumes that divide the visible area behind the camera's subject as a 'unique pseudo-randomly generated portrait backdrop'. I think it would work pretty good and be easy to design and program and I could add a UI for choosing instant bokeh geometry effects for a scene to make the render pseudo-randomly uniquely 'portrait style arty'.

I'd have to figure out if DAZ script API has the capability to figure out current camera & then ray cast to where the camera was pointed to to calculate distance between the camera & the subject matter and than use that distance and direction to pleasingly place all the pre-calculated geometric bokeh sectors and then fill them with geometries.

It'd add a lot of render time and it would be much faster just to calculate the 2D equivalents and calculate pseduo-paints with colors that looked like the light emmissive effects in your portraits.  Or I could make the 2D objects emiisive too instead and avoid a bunch of code it'd add render time though. 

Know what I mean?

But then again, I am quite lazy although the thought of a configurable portrait backdrop system like that is exciting to me.

Interesting idea, nonesuch00. If you get it to work, please post some images.

Artini said:

Interesting idea, nonesuch00. If you get it to work, please post some images.

OK

edited March 2019

Landon 8 with 25% of Toon Larry (15% head) plus some other toon morphs, I have.

Landon824pic02intII.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 313K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    edited March 2019

DP Bestie for The Girl 8 and Rarestone's Face Morph Collection for The Girl 8  I haven't done a fun render in a while and this turned into a bit of kitbashing session smiley The full list is on my gallery page - well, as my items as I can remember! Fine tuned using Topaz Studio.

Two-Friends-and-a-Cat.jpg
    1250 x 1625 - 1M
    Post edited by Mollytabby on

Nice, Mollytabby.

very nice

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    edited April 2019

This is a quick test of Altern8 for Girl 8 by @Divamakeup

I love, love, love, this product. It's so much fun. It's been on my wishlist for ages because I didn't have the budget for it when it was released but I've managed to get it this week (along with the new Diva Remix - Toons for Tika 8 which I'm downloading right now smiley).

I have no idea what settings I used, lol. I got so carried away with playing with the product that I forgot to take notes! I did a little postwork with brightening / contrast levels but that was more because I hadn't really got the lighting quite right.

DaydreamingWEB.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 865K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Love both renders @mollytabby