THE AUGUST FREEBIE CHALLENGE - HANDICAPPED? NOT!

Comments

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited August 2013

WOW! So many of you are just amazing me. This game of life we play...so tricky...the key is to enjoy it with all you have to give. I have a handicap as well. I spent most all of my life on a stage performing. It got to the point where I couldn't find my way off the stage. It was where I belonged. The price I paid for all the glory was my hearing loss. I have 85% loss now, and it is growing. The doctors say that, at this rate, I will be completely deaf in 10 years. I listen everyday to all the sounds around me. Birds, machines, people, the wind, rain, etc. I hear it all and make a mental note, because I know the day will come where I will miss all those little sounds. I now hear about three to four words in a sentance said to me. I have to very quickly, sort them out to figure out what has been said to me. I then have to give an answer that doesn't make me look stupid. Sometimes I get funny looks from the person who has asked me a question. I will hear something nowhere near what they asked, and give an answer that doesn't pertain to what I was asked. It can be very embaressing. The solution is this...most people ask a question that requires either a "yes" or a "no". So as long as I say "yes", it works...lol. Yes is a positive good answer. I read lips pretty good, but if you are faceing away from me...forget it! My wife screams at me all the time...I love it! I tell her she can scream at me anytime she wants. Folks look at me like I have lost my mind...lol. If they only knew. The funny part is when she sings a question to me screaming like Janis Joplin. "Diiiiiid you ta ta take ouuuut the traaaaaaaaaaash?" Too dang funny! So I am handicapped...NOT!

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
  • KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

What an amazing theme, and what inspiring stories you all bring. I usually just lurk here, but I had to stop in and add my own words.

I had a tremendously difficult time becoming a mommy. Years of heartache and miscarriages, lots of support, and LOTS of praying eventually led to a little miracle in my house -- or, rather TWO little miracles. I learned I was expecting boy/girl twins -- and then I very soon after learned that my son had a heart defect that would require surgery at birth. After three months of hospitalized bedrest and an emergency C-section that I was unconscious for, my twins arrived safely into the world. Evan had surgery at two days old, repairing the defect completely. And I thanked the almighty that he survived against such odds. I had no idea that my little Ev was going to have to keep that fighting spirit alive for the rest of his life.

When Evan was around 15 months old, I knew he should be showing some signs of speech. He had none. He had odd behaviors. He... wasn't quite like his twin sister. I was a teacher. My husband's youngest brother was profoundly autistic. I knew what we were looking at. We couldn't get a doctor to diagnose him, but by the time he entered school at age 3, we were all quite certain he had autism. Early intervention is critical to success, but without a proper diagnosis (or a few thousand extra dollars a month for private therapy), we had to make due with what we had. And thank God, we had amazing teachers and a very, very, VERY smart and determined little boy. Evan entered school as a frustrated toddler with a handful of single words. He now is able to speak clear, full sentences when he needs something. He reads and does math at or above grade level. He sings. He dances. And, oh my goodness, does he TRY. A week ago -- at age 9 and a half -- a doctor finally looked at him and said (after about 4 minutes in Evan's presence) "There is no doubt your son has autism." We've finally begun the path toward getting Evan the disability services he will need as an adult.

There are many things that my Ev cannot and will not be able to do in his life. He will never be able to sit down and have a conversation about his day. He has a very poor grasp of intangible things like time and money. He will never understand social cues without being expressly taught them. (It took years for us to convince him to get DRESSED after using the bathroom..!) And he someday will fall behind his peers in school because he cannot understand things like symbolism, poetry, or abstract math. But I've also come to see an amazing, BEAUTIFUL side of his disability that stands in stark contrast to his "neuro-typical" twin sister.

Evan LOVES himself. He doesn't care if his clothes don't match. He isn't bothered by snide comments that might be directed at him -- either because he doesn't understand them, or just doesn't care what people think. He lives each moment NOW, not worried about things that might happen tomorrow. His sister frets constantly about what her friends think, about horrible possible future outcomes, about not being the best at something. Evan? Evan just IS. And he loves BEING. He will dance in front of a mirror, delighted at the sight of himself. He hugs with all of his might, laughs with immeasurable joy, and never stops trying to achieve what he's after because -- in spite of his clear limitations -- Evan has never WANTED to do something he couldn't eventually accomplish. The things which "limit" him are, in truth, things that he just doesn't care about!

I have no idea how I can render this. From the outside, Evan looks like a completely normal kid. (A fact which becomes frustrating for us when other people glare at him as if he's just a naughty kid, or glare at ME as if I can't control him.) But Evan is completely unique inside his head. I am going to think hard about how to depict this because there is no person on earth who inspires me as much as he does. For a little boy who was born with a broken heart, he has grown into one with the heart of a lion. ♥

Evan1.jpg
    500 x 311 - 81K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,084
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    WOW! So many of you are just amazing me. This game of life we play...so tricky...the key is to enjoy it with all you have to give. I have a handicap as well. I spent most all of my life on a stage performing. It got to the point where I couldn't find my way off the stage. It was where I belonged. The price I paid for all the glory was my hearing loss. I have 85% loss now, and it is growing. The doctors say that, at this rate, I will be completely deaf in 10 years. I listen everyday to all the sounds around me. Birds, machines, people, the wind, rain, etc. I hear it all and make a mental note, because I know the day will come where I will miss all those little sounds. I now hear about three to four words in a sentance said to me. I have to very quickly, sort them out to figure out what has been said to me. I then have to give an answer that doesn't make me look stupid. Sometimes I get funny looks from the person who has asked me a question. I will hear something nowhere near what they asked, and give an answer that doesn't pertain to what I was asked. It can be very embaressing. The solution is this...most people ask a question that requires either a "yes" or a "no". So as long as I say "yes", it works...lol. Yes is a positive good answer. I read lips pretty good, but if you are faceing away from me...forget it! My wife screams at me all the time...I love it! I tell her she can scream at me anytime she wants. Folks look at me like I have lost my mind...lol. If they only knew. The funny part is when she sings a question to me screaming like Janis Joplin. "Diiiiiid you ta ta take ouuuut the traaaaaaaaaaash?" Too dang funny! So I am handicapped...NOT!

Sorry to hear that. D'oh! Absolutely no pun intended, really!

I didn't play nearly as much as you did, but I have a little bit of tinnitus, I think. But I don't think it's gotten worse in a while. And I still hear things that surprise people.

Dana

edited December 1969

Oh, and I'm new to this, so I have a couple of questions/clarifications about the rules, so I don't screw it up!

"You may NOT repeat a link to a third party site “exactly” once used in the entry, You can, however, use the same third party site link as long as it goes to a different page." I want to make sure I'm reading this right -- You can only use one freebie from each free site? So, if a freebie is only available at Renderosity, I can only use one Rendo freebie? But it's okay if it's available somewhere else, too? Or am I reading that wrong?

What about things you make yourself? Are you allowed to make your own textures for freebies and/or model your own objects? (That last question is really a joke for me, as I've never modeled anything more complex than a button, lol!)

I assume that, since they are no longer available, things like old DAZ freebies or old Aery Soul freebies are not valid.

Thanks!!

edited December 1969

Thank you for sharing that, KaribousBoutique!

I hope the concept of meanness continues to escape him. It is bliss, a bliss that we all should experience at least sometime.

Dana

edited August 2013

Oh, and I'm new to this, so I have a couple of questions/clarifications about the rules, so I don't screw it up!

"You may NOT repeat a link to a third party site “exactly” once used in the entry, You can, however, use the same third party site link as long as it goes to a different page." I want to make sure I'm reading this right -- You can only use one freebie from each free site? So, if a freebie is only available at Renderosity, I can only use one Rendo freebie? But it's okay if it's available somewhere else, too? Or am I reading that wrong?

What about things you make yourself? Are you allowed to make your own textures for freebies and/or model your own objects? (That last question is really a joke for me, as I've never modeled anything more complex than a button, lol!)

I assume that, since they are no longer available, things like old DAZ freebies or old Aery Soul freebies are not valid.

Thanks!!

No, it means you can't site the same freebie as several of the minimum 10, for instance if you use the same outfit on two different persons in the render. But you can use two different outfits from the same place. And if you use two different freebie texture sets on the clothing, you can list both of those. The reference to Adam Thwaites' site harkens back to the older days when there were no direct links to the page the items were on, just the "catalog" page, in which case you could list it twice as long as you tell where on the page the item is (ie: third item from the top).

Textures or other items that you make yourself will be either "no count" items, or if you offer them up as freebies somewhere, you can link to them and they will count as part of the list of 10 or more freebies required.

For the old DAZ freebies, I think there is a way to link to them, but I'm not sure. Music2u4u will have to answer that one. Aery Soul or others, you must have a working link to the item, or it can just be listed as a "no count" item, just for identification.

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
    edited August 2013

DanaTA said:

Thanks!!

No, it means you can't site the same freebie as several of the minimum 10, for instance if you use the same outfit on two different persons in the render. But you can use two different outfits from the same place. And if you use two different freebie texture sets on the clothing, you can list both of those. The reference to Adam Thwaites' site harkens back to the older days when there were no direct links to the page the items were on, just the "catalog" page, in which case you could list it twice as long as you tell where on the page the item is (ie: third item from the top).

Textures or other items that you make yourself will be either "no count" items, or if you offer them up as freebies somewhere, you can link to them and they will count as part of the list of 10 or more freebies required.

For the old DAZ freebies, I think there is a way to link to them, but I'm not sure. Music2u4u will have to answer that one. Aery Soul or others, you must have a working link to the item, or it can just be listed as a "no count" item, just for identification.

Dana

Excellent! That clears things up for me. :) Thank you!

Edit: I just saw that you can use the "wayback" machine to find many of the old Aery Soul freebies.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20101204211440/http://www.aerysoul.com/free.html

Post edited by Karibou on
    edited December 1969

Are 3ds freebies in the "don't count" or "paid" category? Poser can import 3ds models, but I'm pretty sure DS cannot.

edited December 1969

Are 3ds freebies in the "don't count" or "paid" category? Poser can import 3ds models, but I'm pretty sure DS cannot.

I'm not sure on this one. I think if you are using Poser it's OK, but I defer to Music2u4u on this. The rules are stickied at the top of the General Freepozitory forum. At least they used to be. But I don't remember if this was covered in that post.

Dana

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

Hexagon (one of the "allowable" programs) can import 3DS files, so I don't see why not. The Mods will give a definitive answer though.
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is not Run by the MOD's. Chohole who is a mod just happens to be one of the members who runs the contest. This is a member built and run contest.

edited December 1969

Hexagon (one of the "allowable" programs) can import 3DS files, so I don't see why not. The Mods will give a definitive answer though.

This seems reasonable, but I'll wait for Music2u4u on the final answer. I sincerely hope so, because I just attempted to model what I'm looking for IN Hexagon... and it wasn't pretty, lol!

edited December 1969

kesh said:
    Is a 3ds (3d max) freebie considered ok to use? I have found many that i'll need to convert to .obj to use then in Daz studio or Poser and wanted to know if this would be considered valid for a submission.

FYI -- 3ds files are the old 3d Studio format. 3DS Max now uses the .max file format. 3ds files can be directly imported into Poser (and apparently Hexagon, too!) but .max files are ONLY used by 3DS Max and cannot be imported anywhere -- you'd need Max to export them, which would not be free.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Karibous,
    .3ds files can be counted as free. How we get around the issue of DS not being able to import these types of files is to say that people can use Poseray to convert them to obj. So when you create your list add the link to Poseray in the no count list and the .3ds files in the count list. Here is the link:
    https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Cyonix said:
    I'll kick things off with an NAE from the July 2011 Freebie Challenge (...has it really been THAT long since I made this one?)

I Can Still Play
    An accident may have taken her leg, but she wouldn't let that stop her from playing the game she loved...

I remember this one. I also remember the inspiration it held. I believe this was around the time "B" lost his first leg. Such a great render dear...thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! And don't be surprised if this character makes another appearance this month..... :-)

While I'm posting, I've got a question I'd like official clarification on. In the description for the new (Subsurface Shader Base) it says "This product is included FREE as a separate download with DAZ Studio 4.6". I'm guessing that means it's ok to use this item as one of the 10 freebies (or at the least, a non-counted item)?

If not, it's not that big of a deal, I've got some other skin shaders I could use if I needed to.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    music2u4u said:

I didn't play nearly as much as you did, but I have a little bit of tinnitus, I think. But I don't think it's gotten worse in a while. And I still hear things that surprise people.

Dana

Yup...I have a severe case of Tinnitus. Many don't know this, but Ted Nugent quit performing because he also has a severe case of it. Now he just hunts and rides around in the woods...lol. WANGO TANGO!

edited December 1969

Cyonix said:
    music2u4u said:
    Cyonix said:
    I'll kick things off with an NAE from the July 2011 Freebie Challenge (...has it really been THAT long since I made this one?)

I Can Still Play
    An accident may have taken her leg, but she wouldn't let that stop her from playing the game she loved...

I remember this one. I also remember the inspiration it held. I believe this was around the time "B" lost his first leg. Such a great render dear...thanks for posting it.

You're welcome! And don't be surprised if this character makes another appearance this month..... :-)

While I'm posting, I've got a question I'd like official clarification on. In the description for the new (Subsurface Shader Base) it says "This product is included FREE as a separate download with DAZ Studio 4.6". I'm guessing that means it's ok to use this item as one of the 10 freebies (or at the least, a non-counted item)?

If not, it's not that big of a deal, I've got some other skin shaders I could use if I needed to.

There are two things that qualify a freebie...that it is FREE, and that it has a working LINK so others can get it free.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Karibous,
    .3ds files can be counted as free. How we get around the issue of DS not being able to import these types of files is to say that people can use Poseray to convert them to obj. So when you create your list add the link to Poseray in the no count list and the .3ds files in the count list. Here is the link:

Correct! You can use a .3ds file as long as it has been converted to an .obj file for Daz Studio. You MUST include a link to the free program you used to convert it to the .obj format. This makes it completely available for ALL to use it. Since Hex is allowed to be used here, you just put a link to it as your conversion program.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:

Karibous,

Correct! You can use a .3ds file as long as it has been converted to an .obj file for Daz Studio. You MUST include a link to the free program you used to convert it to the .obj format. This makes it completely available for ALL to use it. Since Hex is allowed to be used here (was free once and is periodically), you just put a link to it as your conversion program. 3dmax is NOT allowed to be used because it is not, and never has been, a free program. Poser is allowed because everything Daz Studio uses in it's runtime is Poser related, plus the Poser Debut program is a free program.

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited August 2013

Might have some free time Really want to make my tribute here. Not only for BWSman, but also for my lovely son :)

And btw :10. All the rules above will be enforced. If you do not understand any of them, please pm me or ask in the current challenge thread.DO NOT ASK FOR SPECIAL FAVORS AS THIS CONTEST MUST BE FAIR FOR ALL. Rich or poor, new computers or old, all will be treated equally. Newbies will be given as much help as we can offer.

c'mon.. no points for some home made cookies??? :P

Post edited by Gloomy007 on
    edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Might have some free time Really want to make my tribute here. Not only for BWSman, but also for my lovely son :)

And btw :10. All the rules above will be enforced. If you do not understand any of them, please pm me or ask in the current challenge thread.DO NOT ASK FOR SPECIAL FAVORS AS THIS CONTEST MUST BE FAIR FOR ALL. Rich or poor, new computers or old, all will be treated equally. Newbies will be given as much help as we can offer.

Only if they are chocolate chip!....well, maybe for oatmeal with walnuts...ummmmmm!

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Krissy said:

Only if they are chocolate chip!....well, maybe for oatmeal with walnuts...ummmmmm!

I thought so :P was wondering when this rule changed lol

edited December 1969

... NOTICE ...

I would like to make an announcement. I want to let you all know that we have a new ETO that has graciously joined the team here. The very lovely Dollygirl has accepted my offer to become our new ETO. She will be taking BWSman's place at the table. We will miss him deeply, but we must go on, and I think he would approve of my choice to replace him. Dollygirl gives 150% up in here for all, and I think she is a very needed addition to the team. My ETO (Executive Team Officers) are NOT affiliated with Daz whatsoever, but are a team I put together for this challenge years ago. Each one is a professional at 3d and the use of Daz Studio. Their job is to keep you informed and help anyone who needs it. They each have my power of authority, so what they say GOES. I stand behind each one of them. Jeeperz and our own MOD, Chohole, are also ETOs. They can help with most anything needed.

Please give our new ETO, Dollygirl, a very warm welcome...she has earned it!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Welcome to the team Dolly Girl

It's your turn to provide cookies for the team meeting. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Yay.. congratulations Dollygirl to take up a chalenge to control the lot here :D

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

welcome to the team Dollygirl, and here is your initiation...
    PIE FIGHT.......
    you are a welcome addition and I know music made the right choice in picking you.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    DanaTA said:
    music2u4u said:

Dana

Yup...I have a severe case of Tinnitus. Many don't know this, but Ted Nugent quit performing because he also has a severe case of it. Now he just hunts and rides around in the woods...lol. WANGO TANGO!

I must have seen one of his last performances, then. I saw him in a line-up in 2003 in Mansfield, MA. Kenny Wayne Shepherd with Double Trouble started the night, then Ted came on, then ZZ Top finished it off. It was a great night!

Dana

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone. I will do my best to not make a mess of things. Oh, except for the pies of coarse! :P

edited August 2013

Wow, it's been so long since I did an image without postwork!! I have already created two new models -- one in Hexagon that is probably the most complex thing I've ever made! I will definitely package and share them as freebies (not that there's much to them) but you guys are making me work! :lol: My son better be proud of me for this! Lol...

Oh, and congrats, Dollygirl!

Post edited by Karibou on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited August 2013

I have no idea how I can render this. From the outside, Evan looks like a completely normal kid. (A fact which becomes frustrating for us when other people glare at him as if he's just a naughty kid, or glare at ME as if I can't control him.) But Evan is completely unique inside his head. I am going to think hard about how to depict this because there is no person on earth who inspires me as much as he does. For a little boy who was born with a broken heart, he has grown into one with the heart of a lion. ♥

Sounds like my son--now four. No heart defect, but his cord was around his neck six times. He gets his ASD from me and his OCD from his mother--and is more full of energy than a fissionable pinball. (I didn't even know I had ASD until my wife tracked a forgotten remark about Aspergers by a family member who works with "special needs" in the school system, and she called me over and said "Look at this: this is you to a tee." She was expecting our son at the time.)

I'd love to do something about ASD, but what? And NO, I am most certainly not putting Symbolical Autism Puzzle Pieces in it. If the NTs want to know about it, we're here. Maybe they could ask us.

God bless you, and your son.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on