Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited July 2018

So I ended up picking up several more photoshop actions (thanks Novica lol!)  And I wishlisted a bunch more.  The only one I've had a chance to try is this sketch one though.  This was a very quick run thruogh to remind myself where to put everyhting and to just see what it would do with minimal mucking aobut.  The only thing I did was turn on the color. Hoping to try out the others soon.

This is Grace.

GRACE.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 735K
    GRACE PENCIL SKETCH.jpg
    2056 x 2672 - 5M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2018

So I ended up picking up several more photoshop actions (thanks Novica lol!)  And I wishlisted a bunch more.  The only one I've had a chance to try is this sketch one though.  This was a very quick run thruogh to remind myself where to put everyhting and to just see what it would do with minimal mucking aobut.  The only thing I did was turn on the color. Hoping to try out the others soon.

My pleasure! HA!  Helen looks nice.   I bought some more today too. I got through about four, just seeing what they do. They sure don't look like the wonderful promo art, that's for sure.

Since people helped me, I'd like to pass on how to do a quick fill in Photoshop, as many of these require filling in your figure or a good portion of it. To do a complete fill: (hope I don't leave out a step)

HOW TO DO A QUICK FILL IN PHOTOSHOP

1. Starting out, many actions require a Background layer and a brush later.  Do what the instructions tell you. If you need both- Background is capital letter and brush must be small letter. 
    2. On the Background layer, click W for Magic Wand. Click on the outside area of your figure (the background)  HOLD SHIFT to add to the mask. Mask the background.
    3. While still on Background, Ctrl+Shift+I  (capital i) to Invert the mask. 
    4. Important: now select the brush layer. You can either do a fill or paint it by hand using a brush, and color in your figure. BE SURE you're on the brush layer!!!!
    5. Hit Ctrl + D to deselect / get out of the mask. (You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find that stupid answer on getting rid of the mask.) 

You're ready to start the action. Although another video said they should run whether the Background OR brush layer is selected, I always make sure the brushes are selected if any came with the action, I have the Move tool selected, and the brush layer is selected. 

Hope this saves you some time.  If anyone hasn't tried the Photoshop actions from Envato (and aren't technical or are hesitant) jump in, I've got it figured out and can spot what's going wrong now. The biggest thing is to get your images 1500 x 1500 or bigger (some actions tell you 2500px or more)  Be sure and see what the vendor suggests. You will get commands saying this and that can't be selected or work, and it may be as simple as your image size. 

Some of the actions I got today are Pastel, TechnicalArt 2, Apocalypse (haven't tried it but if you missed that one, take a look!) and use that with After People. Also look at Cloud Rising and Epic. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2018

I'm going to try and get on a better sleep schedule so signing off (3am)  This is one of the 30 Pro Photo Effects.

First is out of the box, second I went in to Corel Photo Paint (more familiar with it and trying to get off the computer!)  and used Soften 60%. 

AngelicaCalista30.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    AngelicaCalista30Soften60.png
    800 x 800 - 997K
    Post edited by Novica on

I picked up the apocolypse one, one called Blizzard, Body Paint and Spirit.  Have wishlisted quite a few more lol.

I've loaded the newest Beta (which kept none of my settings from the last Beta by the way so be aware of that, I had to reset my load at the start scene preferences etc).  I can't remember how to turn off the yellow highlighting on the cursor and its driving me nuts.  I don't want whatever part my cursor is on to light up in yellow, it drives me nuts.  I can never remember where to go to turn it off.  Anyone have any ideas?  I have pushed every button I can find lol.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited July 2018

Deleted. Wrong info.

Post edited by dawnblade on

Hey @Novica, these photoshop action posts remind me of your Photoshop Playtime thread you started way back when! smiley

@IceDragonArt: It is in the "Draw Settings" tab. Change the Highlight Style under Node Highlighting to Bounding Box Only.

edited July 2018
    dawnblade said:

Hey @Novica, these photoshop action posts remind me of your Photoshop Playtime thread you started way back when! smiley

@dawnblade  I was actually thinking about linking these over there. I'll go ahead and do that. Sadly, the popup on that thread was one of the actions that got discontinued.

@icedragonart   I bought Blizzard and Spirit in the first batch. Haven't tried them yet. Would love to see what you do with them.

Post edited by Novica on
    dawnblade said:

@IceDragonArt: It is in the "Draw Settings" tab. Change the Highlight Style under Node Highlighting to Bounding Box Only.

Ugh thank you!  I would never have found it!

@Novica, hopefully I can try them out sooner rather than later lol.

So, for the record, the Apocolypse action is awesome.  Still need to work out a some kinks as I used it on a render that was not a landscape per se.  I couldn't figure out how to keep the character from being effected so I ended up putting the character on another layer.  But, its not really intended for what I used it for and I am still super happy with how it turned out.  However, I can't post it until the promos are released, probably tomorrow.  Make sure you watch the video!  If you don't, you will end up very confused because you actually have to make the first layer of the action yourself but the other two it generates. 

edited July 2018

And since it looks like I am hogging this page anyway, here is a render of Jepe's new Doris Curtains and Poses for V8.  I love his stuff, always gorgeous.  Think portrait backgroundsfor this.  Lots of options and colors.

@icedragonart   Hog away!  Yes, I learned the hard way to ALWAYS watch the videos. Got tired of the error messages LOL.   Beautiful render! 

I'm finding Mixed Media to be one of my favorites, simply because there's so many places where it asks you to stop and do your own thing (like where you want the lines, the clouds of fog/smoke, the etched lines, etc.)  Totally different look every time. 

Novica said:

@icedragonart   Hog away!  Yes, I learned the hard way to ALWAYS watch the videos. Got tired of the error messages LOL.   Beautiful render! 

I'm finding Mixed Media to be one of my favorites, simply because there's so many places where it asks you to stop and do your own thing (like where you want the lines, the clouds of fog/smoke, the etched lines, etc.)  Totally different look every time. 

I've wishilsted a ton, especially the fanatasy effects (of course lol)  I will be going back for more very very soon.  They have another one that is similar to the Apocolyps one that is going to be a must buy.  They also have some really useful god ray actions.  I've always found god ray's to be really difficult even with the wonderful products our vendors have given us.  I think paired with those and the actions it will be a really good combination.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Oh, that blue lady render is awesome!

Oh, that blue lady render is awesome!

Thank you!  The positioning of those curtains took a bit of maneuvering lol.

I want Mokie!

(See Slosh's hair product. Look in the thumbnails!) 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

I want Mokie!

(See Slosh's hair product. Look in the thumbnails!) 

Yeah, he (she) is really cute.

Is it a new marketing tactic on his part?

ColorWerks, Mokie

Vernea Fae Outfit, Jules

Chef Outfit and Hair, Piggaroni

These bonus plush toys are great…

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited July 2018

wink  I like making the plush toys, but they are not enough to release as a full product, so I sneak them into my new sets.  Won't be 100% of the time, but I will be trying to do it on a regular basis.

Post edited by Slosh on

@slosh   Well, it's brilliant. And Moki's already in my DIM and installing now. He's MINE. 

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I see I missed a huge discussion about Envato photoshop actions! I have a few and I love them so much. I’m making a list of the ones I’ve seen demoed in the past few pages, thanks!

@ati   Your top 9 gallery images on product pages isn't working. My Helena image has 28 likes and has more than many of those shown. I only checked four, and four out of four were 20 or less. It's for DA Real World Lighting.  Helena wants her kudos! 

• AtiAti Posts: 9,078
    Novica said:

@ati   Your top 9 gallery images on product pages isn't working. My Helena image has 28 likes and has more than many of those shown. I only checked four, and four out of four were 20 or less. It's for DA Real World Lighting.  Helena wants her kudos! 

If it's a new image that is still getting lots of new likes, then it might take a while for it to be properly sorted. Every image is re-checked and updated periodically--new images more often.

edited July 2018

Ati said:

If it's a new image that is still getting lots of new likes, then it might take a while for it to be properly sorted. Every image is re-checked and updated periodically--new images more often.

It's not new, it's June 2nd. And has quite a few more likes than many of them (and that's not even counting the two likes from July 21st and today) to the tune of 10+ more likes than others listed in the top 9. Most of the likes were June 2nd, 3rdish. That should be more than enough time shouldn't it? A month and 23 days?!

Post edited by Novica on

SereneNight's thread has a couple interesting discussions- many parts of the Boy Scout outfit are one piece, she had problems with poke through even with adjustments,  and she also shows you the Tux from the wedding product and you should read both those discussions if you haven't already. 

edited July 2018

My first try with the Apocolyptic Photoshop Action -  I ended up having to overlay the girl in another layer as I could not figure out how to not have her affected by the action.  Even painting her over completely in the first step did not work, she just turned to smoke (which was cool but not what I was going for).  Its not really intended for something this close up, more for a landscape, building, city kind of thing but I still really like how it turned out.

CAMI.jpg
    739 x 960 - 151K
    edited July 2018

@icedragonart   Looks really good!!!

Okay, I still haven't tried it yet, and forgive me because you probably know all this, but here's a couple things to try-

1. is there a reveal original photo layer? That's what you brush on to take away the effect that is within the masked area, aka your figure. 

2. for other layers, after selecting (I believe it's the mask) then clicking X will toggle between the white and black brush and one adds effects, and I think black removes them. So using both of these (1 or 2) you should be able to completely take away effects if you want to. 

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

@icedragonart   Looks really good!!!

Okay, I still haven't tried it yet, and forgive me because you probably know all this, but here's a couple things to try-

1. is there a reveal original photo layer? That's what you brush on to take away the effect that is within the masked area, aka your figure. 

2. for other layers, clicking X will toggle between the white and black brush and one adds effects, and I think black removes them. So using both of these (1 or 2) you should be able to completely take away effects if you want to. 

I will have to check, I took a quick look through the layers and didn't see anything before I finished it.  But, sometimes being on a deadline means I do it the quick and easy way (for me) and postwork it.  I will definitely be using this one again though so I will check those options out.  Thank you!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    Novica said:

SereneNight's thread has a couple interesting discussions- many parts of the Boy Scout outfit are one piece, she had problems with poke through even with adjustments,  and she also shows you the Tux from the wedding product and you should read both those discussions if you haven't already. 

I really wanted that kerchief to be seperate as there are plenty of cargo style shorts & short sleeve dress shirts already in the store such that those being one piece wasn't the big problem. The problem in making outfits like that one piece is they can't be used for characters like Winnie the Pooh, Donald Duck, Huey, Dewey, & Louey, and so on. Yes, I can hide with the cutout but some of those shapes are pretty distorting to the shorts and the shorts affect how the shirt fits. I still bought it but I wouldn't have had I read beforehand that it was one piece, I would have bought the 10-speed bike instead. I got it cheap enough though that I'll keep it, but I will be more cautious in the future about buying DAZ clothing, even PC+ clothing.

This discussion has been closed.