How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    DanaTA said:

Is the Part 2 PDF finalized, or will you be adding more to it?  Or...will you instead be starting on a Part 3?

Dana

I was thinking I will be able to take it up to topic 50 (part 1 went to 25), then start part 3.

edited June 2018

Thought I'd try another type of cylindrical helper. Instead of moving, this one is rotating and so wraps up the rope. The cylinder is animated, the rope is not. The rope has a dynamic dfForce modifier with some changes in buckling stiffness and ratio. The initial wrap has the rope disappearing into the cylinder but later wraps mount up. After I do some fine-tuning, I'll write up how to do this next week.

EDIT: instructions can be found here.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    RGcincy said:

Thought I'd try another type of cylindrical helper. Instead of moving, this one is rotating and so wraps up the rope. The cylinder is animated, the rope is not. The rope has a dynamic dfForce modifier with some changes in buckling stiffness and ratio. The initial wrap has the rope disappearing into the cylinder but later wraps mount up. After I do some fine-tuning, I'll write up how to do this next week.

Cool

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

Agreed, very cool.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,865

A dynamic surface add on will help a lot to keep the rope from collapsing, I have a couple of urgent projects to finish at the moment, deadlines sucks - but I'm hoping to do a video tutorial on how to set them up in the next couple of weeks.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    Mada said:

A dynamic surface add on will help a lot to keep the rope from collapsing, I have a couple of urgent projects to finish at the moment, deadlines sucks - but I'm hoping to do a video tutorial on how to set them up in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you, we've all been wondering how to do that. How did you learn it?

I used it in a couple of products - in House Brownie it keeps the button areas together with the shirt so that it gapes like a real shirt in the non button areas after draping. To see the add on hide the shirt and go to wireframe view. I also used it in the Onyx outfit for the closed option in the jacket.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-house-brownie-outfit-for-genesis-8-males
    https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-onyx-goth-outfit-for-genesis-8-male-s

• I thought they should work for closures.

Mada said:

I used it in a couple of products - in House Brownie it keeps the button areas together with the shirt so that it gapes like a real shirt in the non button areas after draping. To see the add on hide the shirt and go to wireframe view. I also used it in the Onyx outfit for the closed option in the jacket.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-house-brownie-outfit-for-genesis-8-males
    https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-onyx-goth-outfit-for-genesis-8-male-s

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I'm trying to get my "jewel and jewel setting" to staying place over the forehead but have the rest of the piece flow over the characters head and drape behind but my attempts so far is that the jewel and it's setting I guess because it's not welded to the rest of the garmet either deforms with the sym or if I turn off the sym strength for both parts just stays in place while the cloth just slides away from the head.  I've tried various forms of weight mapping but doesn't seem to worseems I'm stuck!  

Also, this is totally OT but for Christ's sake what is a fix for this goddamned Missing File pop up every time I load up Genesis 8 Female "data/daz 3d/genesis 3/female/genesis8female.dsf" It's infuriating and annoying as F!  If this is on DAZ's end why haven't they issued a fix for this yet?  It's only been like this since she was released!  angry

RAMWolff said:

Also, this is totally OT but for Christ's sake what is a fix for this goddamned Missing File pop up every time I load up Genesis 8 Female "data/daz 3d/genesis 3/female/genesis8female.dsf" It's infuriating and annoying as F!  If this is on DAZ's end why haven't they issued a fix for this yet?  It's only been like this since she was released!  angry

That doesn't happen for me. There was an update to various Starter Essentials packages awhile back. Are you up to date? 

Yup, I keep everything up to date.  So not sure why this pop up continues to annoy me.   Grrrrrrrrr 

RAMWolff said:

Yup, I keep everything up to date.  So not sure why this pop up continues to annoy me.   Grrrrrrrrr 

Do you possibly have her installed in more than one content library? Or maybe installed with Daz Connect and DIM? Maybe one is updated and one is not? (Although I have no idea if it was a bug fixed by an update or not.)

• Connect install or DIM? Quite a few people had this, but like Barbult I didn't - my install is via Connect.

Connect install or DIM? Quite a few people had this, but like Barbult I didn't - my install is via Connect.

Mine is also installed with Daz Connect.

RAMWolff said:

I'm trying to get my "jewel and jewel setting" to staying place over the forehead but have the rest of the piece flow over the characters head and drape behind but my attempts so far is that the jewel and it's setting I guess because it's not welded to the rest of the garmet either deforms with the sym or if I turn off the sym strength for both parts just stays in place while the cloth just slides away from the head.  I've tried various forms of weight mapping but doesn't seem to worseems I'm stuck!  

After you turn off the sym for the jewel and its setting, you probably also need to use a influence weight map on the cloth, removing influence on the cloth next to the setting so it gets locked in place (since it's sliding off the head). If you can, post a screenshot so I can see what's happening.

Mada said:

That would be great. I looked at what you did for the brownie outfit but don't understand how or why it works.

edited June 2018

I actually got a Dynamic Surface Add On to do something, after a hour or so of blind experimentation. I certainly look forward to Mada's tutorial.

I created a 16 cm cube primitive with 16 divisions. Then I created another 16 cm cube primitive with 3 divisions. I parented the second cube to the first and scaled the second cube by 0.25 in both X and Z directions. So the second cube looks like a column in the center of the first cube. It is as tall as the first cube. I set the first cube to normal Dynamic Surface and set the second cube to Dynamic Surface Add On. I simulated on the timeline so I could move the time line slider back and forth after simulation to see how it progressed. I set the second cube (the add on) to not be visible in the render. As soon as I start simulation, the add on deforms dramatically to send "arms" out to the corners of the first cube. Using the dForce Surface Adjuster to change properties of the add on changes how "stiff" the add on is. In my experiment, it seemed to work well to make it a little stiffer than default.

I've attached the scene file so others can experiment and report more findings for us to share.

Edited to add some more renders with lower opacity on the outer dynamic cube to show the inner dynamic add on cube. Look how it grows arms as soon as simulation begins.

More experimentation: Buckling Ratio 0 seems to make the dynamic add on pretty rigid in my cube test case. In another test with spheres, setting the Dynamic Strength of the add on to 0 seemed to work well.

Dynamic Surface Addon Experiment.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    duf
    duf
    Dynamic Surface Addon Experiment.duf
    1M
    1 Dynamic Surface Addon Experiment before simulation.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    2 Dynamic Surface Addon Experiment first second of simulation.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    3 Dynamic Surface Addon Experiment simulation complete.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

Connect install or DIM? Quite a few people had this, but like Barbult I didn't - my install is via Connect.

I have her installed with DIM.  I don't use Connect.  I do however have her copied over to my Beta / Content creation library set up but it's not the whole thing just her load files, not the data files so I wouldnt' think there would be that sort of feedback from the system for that.  I also have the same set up for Genesis 8 Male and don't have that issue at all.  

barbult said:

I actually got a Dynamic Surface Add On to do something, after a hour or so of blind experimentation...As soon as I start simulation, the add on deforms dramatically to send "arms" out to the corners of the first cube. Using the dForce Surface Adjuster to change properties of the add on changes how "stiff" the add on is. In my experiment, it seemed to work well to make it a little stiffer than default.

Thanks barbult. Interesting how those arms grow! I set up a similar scene and played around with cubes. I'll have to check out spheres too.  Thanks for the good leads.

RGcincy said:
    barbult said:

I actually got a Dynamic Surface Add On to do something, after a hour or so of blind experimentation...As soon as I start simulation, the add on deforms dramatically to send "arms" out to the corners of the first cube. Using the dForce Surface Adjuster to change properties of the add on changes how "stiff" the add on is. In my experiment, it seemed to work well to make it a little stiffer than default.

Thanks barbult. Interesting how those arms grow! I set up a similar scene and played around with cubes. I'll have to check out spheres too.  Thanks for the good leads.

I don't own either of the products that Mada linked. I have no idea how to use these concepts to make buttons work as she described. Can you figure it out? I look forward greatly to her tutorial.

edited June 2018

I attached screen captures of the shirt. The first shows the shirt hidden, so you can see polygons on either side of each button. The second image shows the shirt turned on with the addon's surfaces selected in orange. I don't know the basis for the different sizes and shapes of the polygons of the addon - I presume that has something to do with the shirt mesh's polygons in those areas..

brownie shirt with addon shirt hidden.jpg
    458 x 701 - 19K
    brownie shirt with addon.jpg
    497 x 746 - 146K
    edited June 2018

If you turn subdivision on the shirt off you can see that the vertex points are in exactly the same spot on the shirt and add on - using the transfer utility you conform the add on to the shirt and set it as a dynamic surface add-on.

Post edited by Mada on

I will try to do the tutorial right after my deadline is done, should be by Wednesday if all goes well - it takes a bit of setting up the microphone and working out how to show the different things and making sure I don't skip over something that I take for granted... people get annoyed by video tutorials really easy lol

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Mada said:

I will try to do the tutorial right after my deadline is done, should be by Wednesday if all goes well - it takes a bit of setting up the microphone and working out how to show the different things and making sure I don't skip over something that I take for granted... people get annoyed by video tutorials really easy lol

They get much less annoyed by a .pdf tutorial in my experience devil

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    edited June 2018

uhm... what's going wrong here?

Left figure: G8M with full House Brownie Outfit, simulated with timeline into the CDIOllie BowA pose - seems to work as intended

Right figure: G8M with each part of the Brownie Outfit put on one by one... simulated into the CDIOllie BowA pose... everything works, except for the shirt...

Edit: seems that fitting the shirt to G8M is what leads to it... If I do that, the shirt doesn't even follow basic pose changes. Unless there is more than one G8M in the scene and the shirt is loaded with none of them selected, making the "which figure should it be fit to" window pop up. Then fitting it to either G8M makes it work...
    But it works, when the shirt is loaded into the scene without G8M selected and then parenting it to G8M or even when not parenting it to G8M. Even the unparented shirt seems to follow the figure
    And it works, when using G3M instead of G8M and fitting it to G3M

brownie shirt.jpg
    960 x 1024 - 128K
    Post edited by maikdecker on
    Mada said:

I like narrated video tutorials. You see and hear exactly what to do. Mada makes good ones on dForce.

edited June 2018

49. Rotating Cylinder Helper – Wrap up a Rope. Instead of a translating a cylinder, in this case we rotate a cylinder to wrap up a rope made from a long, thin cylinder.

a. Create a cylinder with 1 foot length, 6 inch diameter, 10 segments, 32 sides, and a Z-positive axis.

b. Create a cylinder with 3 foot length, 2 inch diameter, 1 segment, 8 sides, and a Y-positive axis. Parent this cylinder to the first one so it makes a handle.

c. Create a cylinder with 10 foot length, 1 inch diameter, 120 segments, 8 sides, and an X-positive axis. Do not parent this cylinder. Position it so one end is embedded into the cylinder that was made in step a.

d. Add a dynamic dForce modifier to the long cylinder made in step c. Set Buckling Stiffness to 70% and Buckling Ratio to 10%.

e. Setup an animation timeline of 110 seconds at 30 fps. Every 8 frames, change the Z-rotation of the cylinder made in step a by -180. Since the cylinder is 6 inches in diameter, it has a circumference of 1.57 feet. To wrap up the 10 foot cylinder (rope), it should take 6.36 rotations to fully wrap it.

f. Set Collision mode to Best in the Simulation Settings pane and run a simulation. You will see the rope begin to wrap up around the rotating cylinder, and as it proceeds, you will see multiple wraps of rope around it. I found the wrapping ended a little early, after about 5.5 rotations. You will also see that the unattached rope end falls as the wrap proceeds.

Frame 8:

Frame 40:

Frame 72:

Frame 88:

Render:

g. Using a sphere to keep the rope’s end from falling. Next create a small sphere of 4 inch diameter and 16 segments and sides. Position it at the free end of the rope. At frame 0, with the sphere selected, add a key frame. Then at frame 88, slide the sphere next to the wrap-up cylinder.

h. Run the simulation. Because the sphere is moving along with the end of the rope, the rope does not fall away as it did with the non-sphere simulation. It does droop, so the rope is being wrapped up slower than the sphere is moving. After the simulation, you can hide the sphere and just run the animation to see the rope move without the sphere attached.

Frame 8:

Frame 32:                                                                                         Frame 40:   

Frame 72:                                  Frame 88:

Frame 96 Render:

(continued in next post)

dForce rope crank.jpg
    223 x 334 - 10K
    dForce rope setup.jpg
    605 x 312 - 16K
    dForce rope embedded.jpg
    421 x 334 - 36K
    dForce rope frame 8 cu.jpg
    345 x 317 - 29K
    dForce rope frame 40 cu.jpg
    330 x 321 - 29K
    dForce rope frame 72.jpg
    108 x 236 - 5K
    dForce rope frame 72 cu.jpg
    348 x 316 - 30K
    dForce rope frame 88.jpg
    100 x 187 - 4K
    dForce rope frame 88 cu.jpg
    393 x 299 - 30K
    dForce rope frame 88 tex.jpg
    271 x 317 - 11K
    dForce rope sphere frame 0 setup.jpg
    575 x 214 - 12K
    dForce rope sphere frame 88 setup.jpg
    570 x 206 - 12K
    dForce rope sphere frame 8.jpg
    583 x 262 - 13K
    dForce rope sphere frame 32.jpg
    426 x 202 - 9K
    dForce rope sphere frame 40.jpg
    363 x 196 - 8K
    dForce rope sphere frame 72.jpg
    162 x 184 - 5K
    dForce rope sphere frame 88 cu.jpg
    371 x 322 - 26K
    dForce rope sphere frame 96 tex.jpg
    317 x 306 - 18K
    dForce rope frame 8.jpg
    510 x 323 - 14K
    dForce rope frame 40.jpg
    119 x 290 - 6K
    edited June 2018

(continued from previous post)

i. Adding a bucket to the rope. Now we are going to make a bucket.  Create a 1 foot tall, 1 foot diameter, Y-positive axis cylinder. Use the Geometry Editor to select the top faces, hide them, and then delete them. Create a 1 foot major diameter, 0.5 inch minor diameter, Z-positive axis torus. Use the Geometry Editor to select the lower half faces, hide them, and then delete them. Create a 2 inch diameter sphere. Parent the bucket and the handle to the sphere. Assemble the pieces as shown below.

j. Rotate the rope we used before by 90 degrees on the Z-axis. Position one end embedded in the sphere from step I and the other end in the cylinder from step a.

k. On the animation timeline, select the sphere and add a key frame at time 0.  Move the sphere and attached bucket up the rope so it hangs below the wrap-up cylinder at frame 88.

l. Run the simulation. The rope will wrap around the rotating cylinder and lift the bucket. It gets out of sync about halfway through and slack appears in the rope, whereas in real life that would not happen.

Frame 32:                    Frame 40:               Frame 72:                    Frame 88:

m. Using a rigid follow node to attach the bucket. Instead of using an animated sphere on the bucket to raise it with the rope, we use a rigid follow node.

n. Select the rope, zoom in on the free end, and using the Geometry Editor, pick 1 face from the end. Right-click in the viewport and choose Geometry Assignment/Create Rigid Follow Node from Selected. A child with an I-beam icon will be created under the rope cylinder.

o. For some reason, the node is not located at the end of the rope. I used the X, Y, Z translate dials to move it into location.

p. Run the dForce simulation with the bucket assembly not attached to the node. After the simulation is done, parent the bucket assembly to the node. 

Now when you run the simulation, you will see the bucket rise. There is some turning and twisting as the bucket follows the action of the rope end.

Frame 56:                         Frame 64:

dForce rope bucket.jpg
    199 x 254 - 10K
    dForce rope bucket with rope.jpg
    219 x 327 - 12K
    dForce rope bucket with rope embedded.jpg
    351 x 284 - 25K
    dForce rope bucket frame 0 setup.jpg
    85 x 356 - 4K
    dForce rope bucket frame 96 setup.jpg
    65 x 352 - 4K
    dForce rope bucket frame 32.jpg
    117 x 349 - 5K
    dForce rope bucket frame 40.jpg
    97 x 348 - 5K
    dForce rope bucket frame 72.jpg
    82 x 206 - 4K
    dForce rope bucket frame 88.jpg
    179 x 352 - 8K
    dForce rope bucket rope rigid node.jpg
    475 x 438 - 66K
    dForce rope bucket rope rigid node scene pane.jpg
    228 x 79 - 10K
    dForce rope bucket rope rigid node init location.jpg
    514 x 234 - 7K
    dForce rope bucket rope rigid node new location.jpg
    173 x 283 - 6K
    dForce rope bucket rope rigid node scene pane parented.jpg
    288 x 129 - 17K
    dForce rope bucket rope rigid node frame 56.jpg
    145 x 316 - 6K
    dForce rope bucket rope rigid node frame 64.jpg
    105 x 276 - 5K
    edited June 2018

A gif showing the bucket being raised. This version uses the rigid follow mode method (see step i in section 49).