dforce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets Unofficial Visual Guide

FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
edited December 2021 in Art Studio

Unofficial Visual Guide

for the dforce Master - Cloth Simulation Presets.

So I've been using this product pretty blindly up until now. Basically, I've been clicking a random preset (due to the lack of descriptions or visual cues for each option)and simulating that (due to lack of time, I usually don't additional options). So I decided to create a sort of unofficial guide for each preset. Since I'm already doing it for me, I thought I'd might as well share it with whomever finds it useful. I'll put it in a PDF format when I'm done with simulating everything.

Process: I'll be rendering each preset on a male and a female (G3) using two different poses (one of them dynamic). I'll also be running each preset on several different garments. The idea is to get a comparison chart to guide the decision based on: 1) the garment, 2) the type of fabric and/or 3) the feel you want to give your render. 

Having said that, I'll be slowly filling this thread with comparison charts.

*Disclaimer: I didn't do anything to the clothing besides adding the preset and turning off "self-collision". Some of these outfits could've used weightmapping, but I just didn't have time to do that. Still the results are pretty good.

INDEX

To quickly navigate to a specific section, use the find function (CRTL+F) and type in the code between [parenthesis].

TOPS:

• Shirts
    • [DFM-SDB] Dress/Button-up
    • [DFM-STT] Tank Tops
    • [DFM-STS] Tight Shirts
    • [DFM-SLS] Loose Shirts
  • Jackets & Hoodies
    • [DFM-JL] Biker/Leather Jacket
    • [DFM-JJ] Jeans Jackets
    • [DFM-JTC] Leather Trench Coats
    • [DFM-JBD] Blazer/Dress Jacket
    • [DFM-JSV] Linen/cotton Short Jacket & Vest
  • Hoodies Only
    • [DFM-HLO] Loose/Open Hoodies
    • [DFM-HTZ] Tighter/Zipped Hoodies
  • Corests
    • [DFM-CVC] Vests & Corset
  • Crop Top
    • [DFM-CTV] Vests

BOTTOMS:

• Dresses, Tunics & Cloaks
    • [DFM-DT] Tunics
    • [DFM-DTC] Leather Trench Coats
    • [DFM-DC] Coats
    • [DFM-DSK] Short Dress & Kilt
  • Tight Dresses
    • [DFM-DLT] Long Tight Dress
    • [DFM-DST] Short Tight Dress
  • Jeans
    • [DFM-JT] Tight Jeans
    • [DFM-JL] Loose Jeans
    • [DFM-JD] Dress Pants
    • [DFM-JB] Baggy Pants
  • Pants
    • [DFM-PT] Tight Jeans
    • [DFM-PL] Loose Jeans
    • [DFM-PD] Dress Pants
    • [DFM-PB] Baggy Pants
    • [DFM-PS] Shorts
  • Tights
    • [DFM-T] Tight
  • Skirts
    • [DFM-SkS] Short Skirt
    • [DFM-SkL] Long Skirt
  • Armor

[DFM-SDB] SHIRTS | Dress/Button-up

[DFM-STT] SHIRTS | Tank tops

[DFM-STS] SHIRTS | Tight shirts

[DFM-SLS] SHIRTS | Loose shirts

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,016
    edited January 2019

[DFM-JL] JACKETS & HOODIE STYLES | Biker/Leather jacket

[DFM-JJ] JACKETS & HOODIE STYLES | Jeans jacket

[DFM-JTC] JACKETS & HOODIE STYLES | Leather Trench Coats

[DFM-JBD] JACKETS & HOODIE STYLES |  Blazer/Dress Jacket

• G3F:  Blazer Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s). Note: This is one of my favorites G3F outfits. It sims perfectly out of the box.
    • G3M: Grantham Hall Suit fitted via Wear Them All. Note: needs a weight map to keep the collar & buttons from falling off, but overall, it simulates great! Here I used the armor preset to keep the buttons in place, but they end up floating, so I'd recommend a proper weightmap.

[DFM-JSV] JACKETS & HOODIE STYLES |  Linen/cotton short jacket & Vest

[DFM-HLO] HOODIE STYLES ONLY | Loose/Open Hoodies

• G3F: A free Hoodie (2Hip Hoodie) asset by DESIGNERINC @ Deviantart. However, his account has been deactivated, so I'm unsure if and/or where you can get this one. . Note: It sims great out of the box!
    • G3M: Urban Survivors HD for Genesis 2 Female(s) and Male(s) fitted via  Wear Them All. Note: used a weightmap to keep the zipper from falling out.

[DFM-HTZ] HOODIE STYLES ONLY | Tighter/Zipped Hoodies

Jacket1-GF-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 898K
    Jacket1-GF-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 798K
    Jacket1-GM-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 966K
    Jacket1-GM-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1020K
    Jacket2-GF-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 958K
    Jacket2-GF-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 874K
    Jacket2-GM-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Jacket2-GM-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Jacket3-GF-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 998K
    Jacket3-GF-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 871K
    Jacket3-GM-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Jacket3-GM-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Jacket4-GF-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 849K
    Jacket4-GF-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 802K
    Jacket4-GM-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 981K
    Jacket4-GM-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Jacket5-GF-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Jacket5-GF-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 921K
    Jacket5-GM-01.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Jacket5-GM-02.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Hoodie1-GFM-01.jpg
    1920 x 1858 - 981K
    Hoodie1-GF-02.jpg
    1920 x 1858 - 690K
    Hoodie1-GM-02.jpg
    1920 x 1858 - 787K
    Hoodie2-GFM-01.jpg
    1920 x 1858 - 885K
    Hoodie2-GF-02.jpg
    1920 x 1858 - 698K
    Hoodie2-GM-02.jpg
    1920 x 1858 - 746K
    edited January 2019

General Info for this set: 

Just in case anyone's interested: I used the animated timeline to simulate the clothes getting into the pose. Unlike with the experiments above, left the garments settle for 20 frames when checking the dress styles 1-9.

[DFM-CVC] CORSET STYLES 1-5 | Vests & Corset

[DFM-CTV] CROP TOP STYLES 1-5 | Vests

• I applied it to the same garments as the "corset style presets," however the effect is so subtle, I'm only including the more noticeable renders.  

[DFM-DT] DRESSES STYLES 1-9 | Tunics

[DFM-DTC] DRESS STYLES 1-9 | Leather Trench Coats

• G3F: Long Leather Coat and Hat for Genesis 3 Female(s). Note: this coat worked much better with these presets than the jacket ones. Some of the presets, however, made the small shoulder cloak slip down, so a weightmap is needed to keep it in place.
    • G3M: Asgard Cleric for Genesis 2 Male(s) fitted via  Wear Them All. Note: Works pretty well out of the box, except that the inside and outside get tangled up. I tried giving the outside fabric a different collision layer, but the problem persisted. Possible workaround might be to do a geoshell and have only the outside visible. 

[DFM-DC] DRESS STYLES 1-9 | Coats

• G3F: Winter Fantasy for Genesis 3 Females. Note: this being a PC+ garment, I was happily surprised by how well it took to dforce. I did hide the string (which slipped off during the sim) and the lower dress, since it was unnecessary. I didn't even have to use a weightmap for this one.
    • G3M: Desperado HD Clothes for Genesis 3 Male(s). Note: One of my favorite G3M outfits! These presets don't seem to work too well with long trench coats. I'll try simulating these ones with the dress presets later on.

[DFM-DSK] DRESS STYLES 1-9 | Short dress & kilt

• G3F: The Maid Outfit for Genesis 2 Female(s) fitted via  Wear Them All. Note: It's hard to keep the apron from getting tangled with the dress (due to smoothing). Here I added a geoshell and only kept visible the apron to minimize the entanglement, but it's clearly not perfect.  If I gave the push modifier a bigger number, the dress deformed badly. Possible workaround could be adding the dress twice, then setting the upper one to collide with the lower one and simulate both.
    • G3M: Highlander Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s). Note: I didn't do it here, but the clasp would benefit from a weightmap rather than give it the armor preset (like I did here). Also, I pulled the front out and up, then use the timeline to animate it in order for the cloth to simulate the way it did.

[DFM-DLT] DRESSES STYLES 1-15 | Long tight dress

• G3F: Corvidae Dress for Genesis 2 Female(s) fitted via Wear Them All. Note: I changed the textures and had to hide the shawl because it got ripped right off. I also hid the beads (didn't even try to simulate them, tbh). Then, to keep the dress' form, I weightmapped the parts where the fabric met the string. Overall, it simulated pretty well. 

[DFM-DST] DRESSES STYLES 10-15 | Short tight dress

Dress1-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Dress1-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Dress2-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Dress2-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Dress3-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Dress3-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Dress4-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    Dress4-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1942 - 1M
    TightDress1-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 1019K
    TightDress2-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 1M
    Dress5-GF.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Corset1-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 833K
    Corset2-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 817K
    Corset3-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 775K
    Corset4-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 773K
    Corset1-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 972K
    Corset2-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 917K
    Corset3-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 903K
    Corset4-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 955K
    CropTop1-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 834K
    CropTop2-GF.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 818K
    CropTop1-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 975K
    CropTop2-GM.jpg
    1920 x 1684 - 918K
    edited January 2019

[DFM-JT] JEAN STYLES 1-8 | Tight Jeans & [DFM-PT] PANTS STYLES 1-8 | Tight Jeans

[DFM-JL] JEAN STYLES 1-8 | Loose Jeans & [DFM-PL] PANTS STYLES 1-8 | Loose Jeans

• G3M: Tactical Pants for Genesis 3 Male(s). Note: Out of the box. However, the back seems lose, which is why it looks like the jeans are falling off. This one might benefit from applying a weightmap to the belt area. 

[DFM-JD] JEAN STYLES 1-8 | Dress Pants & [DFM-PD] PANTS STYLES 1-8 | Dress Pants

[DFM-JB] JEAN STYLES 1-8 | Baggy Pants & [DFM-PB] PANTS STYLES 1-8 | Baggy Pants

[DFM-PS] PANTS STYLES 1-8 | Shorts

G3M: MMA Fighter for Genesis 3 Male. Note: Out of the box.

Jeans1-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Jeans1-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Jeans2-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Jeans2-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Jeans3-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Jeans3-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Jeans4-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants1-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants1-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants2-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants2-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants3-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants3-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants4-G3F.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants4-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    Pants5-G3M.jpg
    1920 x 2428 - 1M
    edited December 2021

[DFM-T] Tights| Pants

• I only did one clothing item with these ones because the difference between the presets was very subtle. These pants are from Sci-Fi Rebel Outfit for G8F.

[DFM-SkS] Skirts | Short Skirt

• I added the preset to the leather parts as well. And I purposely chose an item that wasn't dforced out of the box. I'm using Spart Warrior for GM3 on a G8M.

[DFM-SkL] Skirts | Long Skirt

~And with these last three comparisons, I think I've covered all the presets.

I made some icons to replace the original ones with some of the renders shown here. You can download them in this post.

TightStyle.png
    1920 x 1684 - 2M
    SkirsStyles-01.png
    1920 x 1684 - 2M
    SkirsStyles-02.png
    1920 x 1684 - 2M

Updated. I've now added the jacket presets. It took a LONG time since I got a lot more explosions than when I was trying out the shirt presets. I also had a number of garments where the cloth dissappeared whenever I began the sim. It didn't fall off, it just disappeared leaving the stitches floating. Not sure what's up with that, but the ones I've tried were G3 garments I bought over @ rendo.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Thank you @giselle3000 - this is brilliant! I've been clicking random settings and hoping for the best, lol. I love that you done and really appreciate it. I've sort of dropped off using it because I wasn't sure that I was using it properly. I'll dust it off now :-)

Thank you @giselle3000 - this is brilliant! I've been clicking random settings and hoping for the best, lol. I love that you done and really appreciate it. I've sort of dropped off using it because I wasn't sure that I was using it properly. I'll dust it off now :-)

I understand what you mean, I had been doing the same. Just clicking randomly and hoping for the best. But I figured might as well check them all out and have a handy guide to get the best out of the product. This is going to take a while, but I think it'll be worth it. At the end I'll just share a link a dropbox file that should include ALL the renders, in anyone wants to see a specific preset in full rather than the cropped image I'm showing in the comparison chart. 

@giselle3000 that's very kind of you. I'd certainly love to be able to reference the full renders smiley

• WandererWanderer Posts: 956

Brilliant resource. Thank you so much @giselle3000.

Has anyone out there considered making a similar resource for the hair presets?

@giselle3000 that's very kind of you. I'd certainly love to be able to reference the full renders smiley

Yeah, will share the link once I've done all the renders (since I'll need to organize them a bit more). 

Wanderer said:

Brilliant resource. Thank you so much @giselle3000. Has anyone out there considered making a similar resource for the hair presets?

You're welcome, @Wanderer. Hopefully someone can help you tackle the hair one, since I don't have that product. 

Alright, added the Dresses Styles (1-9). I'll probably sim the rest of the dress styles (the tight ones) on one or two dresses and move on to the skirts. I might tackle one of those big dresses, but I have a feeling that they might explode on me. We shall see...

Oh, wow! Thank you @Gigi_FenixPhoenix

Yesterday I was playing with a V4 outfit (skirt) and tried with and without dForce Master. Some attempts I had some partial success with ... most exploded smiley lol. I'm determined to learn how to do this properly and this set of images really does show the immense potential of this product. Once again, a big thank you, because I know this is a lot of work.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

This is awesome!  I'm so glad I found this thread.  Thank you so much for doing this!

edited June 2018

Oh, wow! Thank you @Gigi_FenixPhoenix

Yesterday I was playing with a V4 outfit (skirt) and tried with and without dForce Master. Some attempts I had some partial success with ... most exploded smiley lol. I'm determined to learn how to do this properly and this set of images really does show the immense potential of this product. Once again, a big thank you, because I know this is a lot of work.

The problem usually occurs when you have things intersecting, so complicated poses are difficult to pull off. Even here, while I'm only simulating one piece of clothing, I had some garments explode.

This is awesome!  I'm so glad I found this thread.  Thank you so much for doing this!

You are welcome! It'll take me a while to finish checking all the presets and rendering them, but I'll get it done. I'm thinking that after I finish the presets, I might grab one outfit and then compare the extra settings as well (bend, stiff, etc.).

edited June 2018

I've updated the post with two examples of the Tight Dress Style Presets (10-15). 

Also, just in case you missed it, the attached comparisons are much bigger than what the post shows (I'm resizing them to 800 pixels width, as per the forums rules). 

It’s amazing how well the settings work with tight dresses. 

edited June 2018

Yeah, I was going to skip those but figured I might as well check them out and tight dresses look better with those. Now I'm curious about the corset & crop top presets. I had thought about skipping those as well, thinking there might not make much of a difference in those types of garments, but now I'm reconsidering it. Might try applying the corset ones to vests as well. Maybe the crop top ones as well.

Yeah, I was going to skip those but figured I might as well check them out and tight dresses look better with those. Now I'm curious about the corset & crop top presets. I had thought about skipping those as well, thinking there might not make much of a difference in those types of garments, but now I'm reconsidering it. Might try applying the corset ones to vests as well. Maybe the crop top ones as well.

I must admit, I hadn't really considered applying dForce to corsets :-)

edited June 2018

@Gigi_FenixPhoenix, you've really encouraged me to work with this product again. Have seen the long tight dress images, this morning I've been experimenting with the Rose Dress for V4 which I picked up in a recent sale.

I used Dress Style 10 and I have to say I'm really pleased with the result. I know it's an odd pose, but I don't have very many V4 poses yet and this one gave me some hip and knee movement to play with. 

18 06 03 Rose Dress dForce test.jpg
    700 x 1133 - 281K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
    edited June 2018

@Gigi_FenixPhoenix, you've really encouraged me to work with this product again. Have seen the long tight dress images, this morning I've been experimenting with the Rose Dress for V4 which I picked up in a recent sale.

I used Dress Style 10 and I have to say I'm really pleased with the result. I know it's an odd pose, but I don't have very many V4 poses yet and this one gave me some hip and knee movement to play with. 

The dress looks really good! Did you have to weightmap near her bossom to keep the dress from slipping off? Or did it work out of the box?

Also, I updated the dresses styles with an additional dress (the red one from the tight dress presets) just to see how it looks with Dress Presets 1-9.

The dress looks really good! Did you have to weightmap near her bossom to keep the dress from slipping off? Or did it work out of the box?

Also, I updated the dresses styles with an additional dress (the red one from the tight dress presets) just to see how it looks with Dress Presets 1-9.

I haven't a clue about weightmapping, lol. That's something I need to find out about. The dress is pretty much out of the box in terms of setting it for dForce other than to add smoothing to the dress because I was gettting severe poke through on the chest with the figure chosen. I turned smoothing back on when the simulation was complete. The dress itself I converted to Iray using PD Iray Shader Kit 1, using the silk setting with keep images option. 

I've been picking up shaders in the sales as and when I see a good offer. There are so many lovely older outfits that I can buy inexpensively but until I started to play with shaders I couldn't use because I don't use 3Delight. That's why I picked up dForce Master originally, thinking it would be great to get some more realistic looking draping. I wasn't doing very well until you started this thread. 

I'm trying something else at the moment but outfit is determined to hook on her right toe, lol. I'll take a look at the new preset images you've added.

I haven't a clue about weightmapping, lol. That's something I need to find out about. The dress is pretty much out of the box in terms of setting it for dForce other than to add smoothing to the dress because I was gettting severe poke through on the chest with the figure chosen. I turned smoothing back on when the simulation was complete. The dress itself I converted to Iray using PD Iray Shader Kit 1, using the silk setting with keep images option. 

I've been picking up shaders in the sales as and when I see a good offer. There are so many lovely older outfits that I can buy inexpensively but until I started to play with shaders I couldn't use because I don't use 3Delight. That's why I picked up dForce Master originally, thinking it would be great to get some more realistic looking draping. I wasn't doing very well until you started this thread. 

I'm trying something else at the moment but outfit is determined to hook on her right toe, lol. I'll take a look at the new preset images you've added.

You can always hide the feet bone (with all the toes) during simulation and then turn it back on afterwards to render. For some of the shirt renders, the hands kept ripping the fabric of the sleeves until I hid them in later sims. 

For weightmapping, here's a very easy to follow tutorial that explains how it works (and it's how I learned to do it):

As to shaders, yes! I collect them as well and love PD Iray Shader Kit (it's my go to when converting 3Delight materials to Iray). Allenart also has some great free Iray shaders over at sharecg. Such as this one here. I used one of these ones on the Corvidae Dress above.

It never occurred to me to hide their limbs! Now that has opened up a whole new world of possibilities smiley. I'll be chopping off limbs all over the place, lol.

I'm going to sit down and watch that video carefull, with a notebook in hand. I'm learning so much every day. This is why I love this hobby!

Oh, I forgot. I love Allenart's shaders too yes

Just added the crop top and corset style presets. Got to say, the difference between those presets are very subtle.

Yes, it is very subtle, but I suppose that's because there's less cloth to move? I do like the difference with some of the male waistcoats. There's actually some rippling on those where there was none in the beginning. 

Yes, it is very subtle, but I suppose that's because there's less cloth to move? I do like the difference with some of the male waistcoats. There's actually some rippling on those where there was none in the beginning. 

Yeah, I agree. The closed vests benefit from these presets. I think for open vests perhaps one of the shirt presets would work better.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

Thank you for all your hard work making these visuals!  I've got the product, and mean to try it out soon. I haven't tried dForce yet so hopefully it all goes well. I've bookmarked this thread.  Thanks again.

Thank you for all your hard work making these visuals!  I've got the product, and mean to try it out soon. I haven't tried dForce yet so hopefully it all goes well. I've bookmarked this thread.  Thanks again.

You're very welcome. I think the next update is gonna take a while. I've been having so many explosions with the pants presets, that I end up getting annoyed and calling it a day. The first preset was applied and sim without problem, but the second one not so much. I also recently changed my gpu and I think I need to roll back the drivers because I've been getting the "object can't be simulated" error every once in a while. The only fix is to close DAZ and reopen.

edited June 2018

Added the  Jean Styles Preset comparison. I had a harder time finding jeans that didn't explode with the chosen poses. I also purposely used a complicated pose (with legs bent) to see how much I could push the garments before they exploded (intersected). Had a harder time finding male items that worked. I'll be applying the "Pants Style Presets" to the same garments to better get an idea of how much they differ from the jeans presets.   

PS: I got a lot of pokethrough that wasn't visible in the preview pane. The more I upped the smoothing, the more pokethrough I got. The solution would then be to use a product to fix the pokethrough (control fit, for example) or to hide the body underneath.