Babes on a Budget

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142

I think the thickness of the shirt is fine.  Dance/work out wear shirts like that are often very thin so I thought that was intentional.  Re the leggings, on looking at them again, I their thickness is just fine.  A bit of "knitting" type texture would be awesome, though the whole outfit looks great as is.  

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

You've been busy!  Well done on the light set up and congrats on your first outfit. :) 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Honestly, for work out clothes the shirt looks fine.  I have work out shirts that are that thin.  Looks great!  I am at work til five and have people coming for dinner but I will try and download those and see how it works as soon as I get a chance.

Thank you, Sonja! :) Yeah the shirt is quite thin. I think it looks ok from a distance but up close it's like paper thin. heheh 

Looks great, Diva!

Thanks, Jack! That's nice of you to say! :)

I think the thickness of the shirt is fine.  Dance/work out wear shirts like that are often very thin so I thought that was intentional.  Re the leggings, on looking at them again, I their thickness is just fine.  A bit of "knitting" type texture would be awesome, though the whole outfit looks great as is.  

haha Cool. That cloth thickness thing is a pain to try and figure out. lol

Thank you for the sweet comments! :)

edited August 2017

You've been busy!  Well done on the light set up and congrats on your first outfit. :) 

Thank you, DM! I've been wanting to practice making more clothes but have been busy working on a character. heheh I wish I could clone me. And WHEW why didn't anyone tell me that character creation would be so many insane hours of work? lol I finally got all the textures done (textures seem to take ages to make) and am almost done creating all the mat presets (lots of eyeshadow, lipstick, nail polishes, and several eyebrow options - along with creating all the icon images for them). Then after that's done I get to start on trying to get everything packaged right and then I get to start on doing some promo images. Whew. lol Oh and I need to separate the head and body morphs into separate morph dials. Then I get to figure out how to get it all packaged correctly. heheh You character creators are AMAZING to go through all this SO FAST. I see you guys putting out new figures so frequently and I have no idea how you do all that so fast! lol

I've already put in an insane amount of hours into it and still have a lot of work to do. I do hope Daz likes the character! :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

I should be working on my first character to submit to Daz but I got side tracked this morning with the release of the Genesis 8 Male figure. I've been having fun with him in Daz Studio. 

It turns out that it looks like he has the same textures as Michael 7. Here's the Base Genesis 8 Male next to Michael 7:

Looks like there are some minor differences to the textures, but for the most part the textures look pretty much the same to me.

I then got frustrated that I didn't have any morphs for G8M, so I dialed in some of the hidden peramiters to make a more custom looking guy:

Crazy looking hair, I know. lol

All in all, fun time with the new Genesis 8 Male. I really want to get Michael 8 but will have to wait and try and talk my husband into letting me spend more on Daz. lol I've pretty much hit my limit for a while ...but dang Michael 8 is HOT! I want to get him! :)

• Hey Diva I am so sorry to hear that Daz rejected your first charactor!!

I thought that it was an amazing one for your first try!!!

Like Sonja said to you in her thread maybe you should try selling it elsewhere.

• I'm with Saphirewild, I think you did a great job on the character.  She has a really lovely as well as unique face.  I hope after you're taken the time you need, you try to sell her elsewhere and work on new models for DAZ.  Now famous authors have had many manuscripts rejected before they were accepted for publication, I'll bet anything the 3d world is the same.  If you enjoy character creation, don't give up.  You're definitely talented.  Perhaps you can talk to some PAs who might have ideas about how to best submit/pointers regarding the process.   

• ChameoChameo Posts: 306

Wow Diva!!! You have really outdone yourself with that last render. I am looking at the picture and I can fell the lady underneath's pain big time. Both ladies are so beautiful each in their own way!!!!!

I so love the not so twigish figures!!!

hahah Thank you so much! What a sweet comment! :D That makes me feel good!

And yeah, on the "non-twiggishness" - I do a lot of commission art with thin girls as that's often what clients request due to our society's current "standard of beauty". After doing mainly thin girl art for years I have started enjoying doing more art with average size and larger sized girls. I do enjoy doing art of girls of all different shapes and sizes though - I just prefer the larger girls lately as it's kind of a breath of fresh air for me since I do so much thin girl art for clients. Plus I know that many women and girls of different shapes and sizes get tired of not seeing their own body types represented in art and the media. There needs to be more diversity in art and the media, imo (and not just in size but in race as well).

I'd like to start doing more art that include more diversity in race, but I'll have to wait until I can purchase characters with decent non-white skin textures. Many/most of the non-white characters I've seen in the shop are either really pricey and don't often go on sale or the skin texture just doesn't look quite right to me. I may end up having to make my own. 

I'm poking through and reading this whole thread in order - so much amazing knowledge and incredible renders. I normally wouldn't bring back a comment from a year ago, but this one really hit home for me! I started playing with Daz Studio again a while ago to create the art for a deck of Tarot cards (96 finished renders later, I finally finished it a few months ago!). I shared some of the work along the way with friends in an online text game, and folks started asking me to do renders of their characters. Lately, I've been doing "power portraits" for friends - and among the most frequent requests I get is "can we put a little more heft on her?" Likewise your comment on non-white skin textures - expensive, hard to find, and so few look "right." This is especially important for me when doing power portraits. I've been resorting to using the flat textures created by FaceGen Artist Pro, but your hints and tips - not to mention all the helpful discussions - are inspiring me to at the very least try to retexture them and see if I can get something more realistic. Yours are amazing!

• You've been busy!  Well done on the light set up and congrats on your first outfit. :) 

Thank you, DM! I've been wanting to practice making more clothes but have been busy working on a character. heheh I wish I could clone me. And WHEW why didn't anyone tell me that character creation would be so many insane hours of work? lol I finally got all the textures done (textures seem to take ages to make) and am almost done creating all the mat presets (lots of eyeshadow, lipstick, nail polishes, and several eyebrow options - along with creating all the icon images for them). Then after that's done I get to start on trying to get everything packaged right and then I get to start on doing some promo images. Whew. lol Oh and I need to separate the head and body morphs into separate morph dials. Then I get to figure out how to get it all packaged correctly. heheh You character creators are AMAZING to go through all this SO FAST. I see you guys putting out new figures so frequently and I have no idea how you do all that so fast! lol

I've already put in an insane amount of hours into it and still have a lot of work to do. I do hope Daz likes the character! :)

It's work, lemme tell you.  I average 4 hours a night after my day job, and about 12-30 hours Saturday and Sundays if I can to get mine out.  It's a process, definitely, more so if you use photo resources to make your own skin (I did with a few; Elosolus, Jackson, and now Salvatore), but I need more practice to get them where I want them. I'm uber picky and half the time I have to stop myself and just submit what I have instead of ruining the project by over doing things. Which I do often.  You're doing great, I think!  

Did Daz accept your character?

Hey Diva I am so sorry to hear that Daz rejected your first charactor!!

Thanks, Saphirewild. I'm working on improving her and I'm going to resubmit her. I worked too hard on her to give up just yet. :)

Thanks, Saphirewild. I'm working on improving her and I'm going to resubmit her. I worked too hard on her to give up just yet. :)

Well good for you Diva I am so glad your not giving up on her she need to have her place in the daz store right next to GF8!!!!

I'm with Saphirewild, I think you did a great job on the character.  She has a really lovely as well as unique face.  I hope after you're taken the time you need, you try to sell her elsewhere and work on new models for DAZ.  Now famous authors have had many manuscripts rejected before they were accepted for publication, I'll bet anything the 3d world is the same.  If you enjoy character creation, don't give up.  You're definitely talented.  Perhaps you can talk to some PAs who might have ideas about how to best submit/pointers regarding the process.   

Thank you for the advice! I'm going to take it and see about contacting a couple of character creators here and see if they'll take a look at my character and give me some pointers. 

Thank you for the support, it means a lot to me! :)

Chameo said:

Wow Diva!!! You have really outdone yourself with that last render. I am looking at the picture and I can fell the lady underneath's pain big time. Both ladies are so beautiful each in their own way!!!!!

I so love the not so twigish figures!!!

hahah Thank you so much! What a sweet comment! :D That makes me feel good!

And yeah, on the "non-twiggishness" - I do a lot of commission art with thin girls as that's often what clients request due to our society's current "standard of beauty". After doing mainly thin girl art for years I have started enjoying doing more art with average size and larger sized girls. I do enjoy doing art of girls of all different shapes and sizes though - I just prefer the larger girls lately as it's kind of a breath of fresh air for me since I do so much thin girl art for clients. Plus I know that many women and girls of different shapes and sizes get tired of not seeing their own body types represented in art and the media. There needs to be more diversity in art and the media, imo (and not just in size but in race as well).

I'd like to start doing more art that include more diversity in race, but I'll have to wait until I can purchase characters with decent non-white skin textures. Many/most of the non-white characters I've seen in the shop are either really pricey and don't often go on sale or the skin texture just doesn't look quite right to me. I may end up having to make my own. 

I'm poking through and reading this whole thread in order - so much amazing knowledge and incredible renders. I normally wouldn't bring back a comment from a year ago, but this one really hit home for me! I started playing with Daz Studio again a while ago to create the art for a deck of Tarot cards (96 finished renders later, I finally finished it a few months ago!). I shared some of the work along the way with friends in an online text game, and folks started asking me to do renders of their characters. Lately, I've been doing "power portraits" for friends - and among the most frequent requests I get is "can we put a little more heft on her?" Likewise your comment on non-white skin textures - expensive, hard to find, and so few look "right." This is especially important for me when doing power portraits. I've been resorting to using the flat textures created by FaceGen Artist Pro, but your hints and tips - not to mention all the helpful discussions - are inspiring me to at the very least try to retexture them and see if I can get something more realistic. Yours are amazing!

hahah That's great! I'm glad that you have found some of my rambling helpful. :) I'm finding the journey into 3D art to be a lot of fun - challenging but fun! If I can share some of what I learn along the way, that's all the better! :D I've gotten a lot of help from people here, so I try and pay it forward when I can and post tips and stuff when I'm able to. I need to get back into that.

edited September 2017

It's work, lemme tell you.  I average 4 hours a night after my day job, and about 12-30 hours Saturday and Sundays if I can to get mine out.  It's a process, definitely, more so if you use photo resources to make your own skin (I did with a few; Elosolus, Jackson, and now Salvatore), but I need more practice to get them where I want them. I'm uber picky and half the time I have to stop myself and just submit what I have instead of ruining the project by over doing things. Which I do often.  You're doing great, I think!  

Did Daz accept your character?

lol Yeah, that's a CRAZY amount of hours. I've figured that out the hard way. My first character I've spent about a month on her (I'm finding there's a big learning curve, for sure). I sent Daz some renders of her and they rejected it, saying they didn't think she'd sell well. I'm not sure if it's because my renders suck or if the character isn't good (maybe both? lol), but I'm working on improving the character. I'm reworking her textures. Then I'll be redoing all her settings, and all new icons, and all new promo images - then resubmitting. I'm not giving up. 

Post edited by 3Diva on

Well good for you Diva I am so glad your not giving up on her she need to have her place in the daz store right next to GF8!!!!

lol Thank you! :D I'm determined. I know I can do this! 

Yes we all have faith in you as well girl!!!

I just know within the next while we are going to see her sitting on the front page of the Daz Store!!!

• Keep trying, Diva!  I think you have a great talent for characters and I like what I've seen you do so far.  I have heard it takes several submissions before DAZ decides to take on a new vendor.  Not sure how true that is.

Yes we all have faith in you as well girl!!!

I just know within the next while we are going to see her sitting on the front page of the Daz Store!!!

From your lips to Daz's ears! lol Here's hoping, girl! Thank you! heart

edited September 2017

Keep trying, Diva!  I think you have a great talent for characters and I like what I've seen you do so far.  I have heard it takes several submissions before DAZ decides to take on a new vendor.  Not sure how true that is.

Dawww Thank you for the pep talk, my friend! On days like this I REALLY need that! I think I'm close. I just need to work a bit harder on it. I think for the first project it needs to be kind of exceptional to grab Daz's attention. Then once you're a PA perhaps they're a bit more accepting of what you present. So I might put the first character I submitted on the back burner and present something that isn't a typical pinup type girl. Maybe a character that's not just another adult female character. 

Thank you for your words of support! You helped put me in a better mood! I really appreciate it! heart

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited September 2017

As many of you guys found out, my first submission to Daz was rejected. I know they have a high bar, so I don't blame them. It just gives me the push to try harder and to work harder on this. I think she's pretty:

Her textures could probably use a bit more realism though, so I'm reworking those. Again, I don't blame Daz, I know that to take a chance on a new PA they probably need to present something a bit more unusual or eye-catching. It's given me the motivation to work even harder. :) 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • I really love her shape.  I hope you don't mind if I keep using her now that I have her. I really like her a lot and I have no problem with her textures to be honest, I think they are pretty darn good.  I'll be able to say I knew you when you were just getting started lol.

edited September 2017

I think for a successful first submission, I need to present something that's a bit more unusual from another adult female. I know that Daz gets a lot of adult female characters. So I think perhaps for the submission that gets me "in the door" it might have to be something a little bit different. So I might submit my "Lil Sister" character next:

I'm calling her "Lil Sister" for now, until I come up with a name for her. She's using Victoria 8's textures in these renders, as I'm still working on her textures.

Here she is dialled in at 50% with Victoria 8:

Again, she's rendered with V8's skin textures, as I'm still working on her textures. Textures are HARD! Ahhhh I really wish I could team up with a PA that enjoys doing textures, and I could do the character sculpting. :) I really enjoy creating characters in ZBrush - the texture creation though ....whew, very much a struggle for me. lol I'm learning though and getting better at it! :D 

So I might end up submitting Lil Sister first before resubmitting my curvy girl. :) I think Daz might be more interested in a younger character than another adult female. I really like Lil Sister's shape too - I think she's really cute. I just need to work a bit more on her textures.

If you guys know of any good texture tutorials or texture resources, please let me know. :) Or if you know of a PA that enjoys doing textures that would like to team up with someone who enjoys sculpting characters and morphs, please point them in my direction! lol 

Post edited by 3Diva on
    edited September 2017

I really love her shape.  I hope you don't mind if I keep using her now that I have her. I really like her a lot and I have no problem with her textures to be honest, I think they are pretty darn good.  I'll be able to say I knew you when you were just getting started lol.

That makes me happy to know that you like her enough to continue to use her! :D I'd be honored if you'd keep using her!

Thank you for helping me test her. Your feedback and help is very much appreciated! :)

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • Always happy to help!  I actually really like testing things (weird I know lol).  I had a lot of fun with her and I will definitely be using her again.

• If you need another beta tester I would be honored to test anyone of your charactors out (Just throwing that out there) laugh

• AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285

I think for a successful first submission, I need to present something that's a bit more unusual from another adult female. I know that Daz gets a lot of adult female characters. So I think perhaps for the submission that gets me "in the door" it might have to be something a little bit different. So I might submit my "Lil Sister" character next:

I'm calling her "Lil Sister" for now, until I come up with a name for her. She's using Victoria 8's textures in these renders, as I'm still working on her textures.

Here she is dialled in at 50% with Victoria 8:

Again, she's rendered with V8's skin textures, as I'm still working on her textures. Textures are HARD! Ahhhh I really wish I could team up with a PA that enjoys doing textures, and I could do the character sculpting. :) I really enjoy creating characters in ZBrush - the texture creation though ....whew, very much a struggle for me. lol I'm learning though and getting better at it! :D 

So I might end up submitting Lil Sister first before resubmitting my curvy girl. :) I think Daz might be more interested in a younger character than another adult female. I really like Lil Sister's shape too - I think she's really cute. I just need to work a bit more on her textures.

If you guys know of any good texture tutorials or texture resources, please let me know. :) Or if you know of a PA that enjoys doing textures that would like to team up with someone who enjoys sculpting characters and morphs, please point them in my direction! lol 

Ooh, Great morph! I really like her. > I can't wait to see what you do with her textures. Also I totally understand, textures are super hard for me, so I'm trying to learn to make them faster and more realistic right now.

I know of quite a few good texture resources, but unfortunately I didn't bookmark where I've seen them or downloaded them from. When I find them, I will come back here and add them to my post. ,( Sorry about that) As for tutoials, I'm still looking for some myself. XD, Can't seem to find any.

I like your first character alot btw

Anyways, good work with your characters!

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

@divamakeup... 

I just found this thread. I tried to download your awesome 80s workout freebie, but it says the file is no longer there. :(

What you've done with Victoria 8 above is stunning, regardless of her age. The early promo stuff I saw of Vic8 left me feeling that she was a step back aesthetically from previous Victorias - just as an average or ideal of beauty. With that said, I've bought a lot of the characters that are not "runway" models, including Dale and Edie 8 and Alexandra 8 (who I bought in particular because she is a mature DAZ character, not in her teens or early 20s, but not a Senior citizen... if there is something under-represented in the DAZ library, I think this range of character is one of the worst offenders). I find that many of the characters, especially the male characters, are a little bit too idealized. I was just looking through my G3M lineup... and there are a lot of square chins and high cheekbones going on in that collection. I find that creating a believable middle-aged average male is one of the biggest challenges. Daz doesn't do the suburban Dad-bod very well. We go right from characters like Sawyer G3M to George 3 without a lot of interim steps. 

@divamakeup... 

I just found this thread. I tried to download your awesome 80s workout freebie, but it says the file is no longer there. :(

What you've done with Victoria 8 above is stunning, regardless of her age. The early promo stuff I saw of Vic8 left me feeling that she was a step back aesthetically from previous Victorias - just as an average or ideal of beauty. With that said, I've bought a lot of the characters that are not "runway" models, including Dale and Edie 8 and Alexandra 8 (who I bought in particular because she is a mature DAZ character, not in her teens or early 20s, but not a Senior citizen... if there is something under-represented in the DAZ library, I think this range of character is one of the worst offenders). I find that many of the characters, especially the male characters, are a little bit too idealized. I was just looking through my G3M lineup... and there are a lot of square chins and high cheekbones going on in that collection. I find that creating a believable middle-aged average male is one of the biggest challenges. Daz doesn't do the suburban Dad-bod very well. We go right from characters like Sawyer G3M to George 3 without a lot of interim steps. 

hahah Yeah, this is my old thread. I suppose now I can't say "Babes on a Budget" since I'm now a PA (I don't want anyone to think that Daz doesn't pay their artists lol). :) I might have to make a new art thread though, as I miss the feedback I get from people on what I'm working on. Or sometimes I just want a place to throw up my art and go "lookey! I made a thing!". lol I guess that's the kid in me. :P

You can download the 80s style workout outfit here: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?item_id=77666

It's not that great, as it's my first attempt at an outfit. I still have yet to learn how to properly make "Daz ready" clothing. Rigging is something I need to learn how to do, as most clothing for the Daz store requires it.

And yeah, I agree that "average" and "normal" characters are nice to have. Sometimes you just want an average Joe or Janet without the "hero" or "model" looks. Some of the Genesis 8 figures have been really great in that regard. Characters like Ollie and Edie, Alexandra, Edward, etc are a nice break from the normal releases. Daz has been awesome with this generation with creating less idolized figures. Hopefully the trend will continue as far as more unique and different characters goes. And hopefully we'll also see more diversity of not just age and body shapes but also in ethnicities. We already have a mountain of white super heroes and models, sometimes more normal or average looking people can be nice - and diversity is always nice! Variety is the spice of life after all and representation matters. :)