Official Release of Carrara 8.5 **Update - 8.5.1.19**

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Barzoff said:
    Chohole said:

They are not dead        No program is dead that has a thriving Community like both Bryce and Carrara do.

Okay, Bryce and Carrara are not dead. Let's say they are cryogenized until the end of this century.laugh

They are in use every day  by umpteen Brycers and Carrarists

• 3DMD3DMD Posts: 18

DAZ studio has a bridge to Bryce and Hexagon. Hexagon is Uber cheap. If you want a super easy way to make morphs for anything or anyone you need Hex 2.5. You just go back and forth, it’s like having a modeler in DAZ Studio. No power morph loader or whatever. You can even modify the texture in Hex. It is just too bas there’s no Carrara bridge. 

• You can get Carrara 8.5 Pro (the non-Pro version ends-up more expensive, since Pro already has 50% discount) and Hexagon for a very big discount (around 80% or something) by adding to your cart a "New Release" item from https://www.daz3d.com/pc-anniversary-sale-2017 today

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

if the "general" rigging ever gets fixed for carrara, ready! smiley

• birbilis said:

You can get Carrara 8.5 Pro (the non-Pro version ends-up more expensive, since Pro already has 50% discount) and Hexagon for a very big discount (around 80% or something) by adding to your cart a "New Release" item from https://www.daz3d.com/pc-anniversary-sale-2017 today

Have you ever used Hexagon? I gave up after a minute or so. I like Carrara more... 

DZ_jared said:

After a lot of hard work, long nights, and even longer days by our development team we are happy to announce that Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase in the DAZ 3D store. We would like to thank all of our loyal Carrara customers for their patience and support with this project.

Carrara 8.5 Pro is priced at $285.00 for a limited time. Carrara 8.5 Standard is priced at $149.95.

Current owners of Carrara will receive a 50% discount on either product for a limited time. Platinum Club members get an additional 40% off, which means it's never been a better time to join the Platinum Club.

Carrara 8.5 Pro
    Carrara 8.5 Standard

Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $250 worth of Genesis content.
    Carrara 8.5 standard ships with the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Starter Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $140 worth of Genesis content.

Here's a quick look at some of the new features:

Native DSON Importer means seamless integration of:
    - TriAx™ Weight Mapped figures (Genesis, G2F, G2M)
    - General Weight Mapped figures
    - Legacy Parametric Figures (4th Generation and earlier)
    - DSON presets
    - Scenes
    - Scene Subsets
    - Wearable(s) Preset
    - Character Preset
    - Properties Preset
    - Shaping Preset
    - Pose Preset
    - Hierarchical Material(s) Preset
    - Material(s) Preset
    - Shader Preset (preset must be for a Carrara shader)
    - Camera(s) Preset
    - Light(s) Preset
    - Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)

Native AutoFit functionality means:
    - Conversion of legacy parametric clothing to TriAx™ weigh mapped figures
    - Automatic Morph Projection quickly gives you the fit you need for your figure's shape.
    - Automatic Weight Map Projection allows AutoFit clothing to bend and pose smoothly with the figure.
    - Morphs built into clothing are carried through the AutoFit process.

Improved Sequencer, Keyframing and Animation Tools
    - New keyboard shortcuts to:
    - Play/Stop animation
    - Advance the frame
    - Preview a frame
    - Key Frame Filters
    - Sample – Creates a key at every frame of the animation.
    - Smooth – Smooth out wild keys to get an even looking animation
    - Reduce – Programatically determine which keys are unecessary and eliminate them.
    - Graph Editor Box allows for fine tuning of animations
    - Easily adjust timing
    - Simple yet powerful manipulation of amplitude
    - Scale, and translate key frames along the Graph Editor.
    - Marquee selection of key frames for Graph Editor.

Smart Content and CMS Integration
    - Carrara can now access the CMS database; PostgreSQL or Valentina.
    - New smart content pane allows users to browse smart content by:
    - File
    - Category
    - Product
    - File view provides selection based filtering so that the user only sees items compatible with the current instance tray selection.
    - Double click and drag and drop loading are both supported in Smart Content Tab.

Parameters Actions
    - Zero, Memorize and Restore:
    - Figure
    - Figure Shape
    - Figure Pose
    - Selection
    - Selection Shape
    - Selection Pose
    - Selection Tree
    - Selection Tree Pose
    - Selection Tree Shape
    - Provides users with powerful tools to reset a pose, shape or both.
    - Memorize and Restore allow user to take a snap shot of the model's current pose and/or shape and restore all or part of it.

Improved Fit to Functionality
    - Automatic projection and following of morphs for TriAx™ Figures
    - No more relying on built in clothing morphs to fit clothing over a figure. Carrara automatically projects any morphs for a TriAx™ figure onto items conformed to the figure.

Improved Viewport Avatars
    - Spotlight, Sunlight, Moonlight, Tube Lights and Shape lights have all received a makeover and can easily be identified in the viewport.

this is a welcome list of new features.

this 1 extra interesting, sounds like this is how to uv swap. 

- Support for multiple UV sets (through Hierarchical Material(s) Presets and Material(s) Presets)

• Chohole said:
    Barzoff said:
    Chohole said:

They are not dead        No program is dead that has a thriving Community like both Bryce and Carrara do.

Okay, Bryce and Carrara are not dead. Let's say they are cryogenized until the end of this century.laugh

I am by no means a professional, so I can only speak as a Hobby 3D Artist who more or less dabbles...

Even if I have to export and import forth and back in order to create something with the help of multiple programs - I prefer Carrara. When I left Poser behind for Carrara, I never could get myself to use Poser again - except for dynamic clothing... which I imported then into Carrara. 

Carrara may be pretty old and not updated on a regular base - but imho compared to Daz Studio und Poser the UI is way leaner, better arranged and organized. The UI of Daz Studio und Poser takes way too much of the workspace. Plus, I love the fact that Carrara allows me to manipulate content in ways I never could do in Daz Studio or Poser - except I use third party programs.

Maybe, one day - if there is a Daz Studio version that looks and feels more like Carrara - plus the awesome assembly, shader and modelling room... I will reconsider. But until then, I use the good old Carrara.

• 3DMD3DMD Posts: 18

OK, so if Carrar is boxed in the freezer, then how come users are still develping plugins? Look at this thread - proof that Carrar and we are not dead at all: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/220631/fluidos-plugin-for-carrara#latest

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

yes

Chohole said:
    Barzoff said:
    Chohole said:

I am by no means a professional, so I can only speak as a Hobby 3D Artist who more or less dabbles...

Even if I have to export and import forth and back in order to create something with the help of multiple programs - I prefer Carrara. When I left Poser behind for Carrara, I never could get myself to use Poser again - except for dynamic clothing... which I imported then into Carrara. 

Carrara may be pretty old and not updated on a regular base - but imho compared to Daz Studio und Poser the UI is way leaner, better arranged and organized. The UI of Daz Studio und Poser takes way too much of the workspace. Plus, I love the fact that Carrara allows me to manipulate content in ways I never could do in Daz Studio or Poser - except I use third party programs.

Maybe, one day - if there is a Daz Studio version that looks and feels more like Carrara - plus the awesome assembly, shader and modelling room... I will reconsider. But until then, I use the good old Carrara.

edited March 2018

is there a way to not show my serial num on the splash screen?

would like to start my yt tutts with the splash screen smiley

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited March 2018

only blur it out in post I would think.. or get one off the internets devil

carrara cover.jpg
    492 x 715 - 272K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Take a screen grab and then blur it out as suggested above and use the JPG as the splash screen running for a few seconds.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

1 Carrara X please, ... and a side of metaballs !!  and a bryce 64 to go please.

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89

I started in 3D with Poser too. I used it for years, but never felt really at ease with it. Since I discovered Carrara, I almost never used Poser again.

I don't like the UI of Daz Studio either, for the reasons you mention.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2018

Oops - ignore me, I'm not herecheeky

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • Hear hear! I so totally agree!

what is carrara's native weightmapping?

is it the dualquat?

did carrara always have weightmapping?  or which version started it?

remember this?

content support  

edited May 2018

n/m  catmark

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited May 2018

NM misread something

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    DZ_jared said:

After a lot of hard work, long nights, and even longer days by our development team we are happy to announce that Carrara 8.5 is available for purchase in the DAZ 3D store. We would like to thank all of our loyal Carrara customers for their patience and support with this project.

Carrara 8.5 Pro is priced at $285.00 for a limited time. Carrara 8.5 Standard is priced at $149.95.

Current owners of Carrara will receive a 50% discount on either product for a limited time. Platinum Club members get an additional 40% off, which means it's never been a better time to join the Platinum Club.

Carrara 8.5 Pro
    Carrara 8.5 Standard

Included in Carrara 8.5 Pro are the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Pro Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $250 worth of Genesis content.
    Carrara 8.5 standard ships with the Michael 5 and Victoria 5 Starter Bundles and Carrara Shaders - over $140 worth of Genesis content.

Here's a quick look at some of the new features:

- Legacy Parametric Figures (4th Generation and earlier)
    - DSON presets
    - Scenes
    - Scene Subsets
    - Wearable(s) Preset
    - Character Preset
    - Properties Preset
    - Shaping Preset
    - Pose Preset
    - Material(s) Preset
    - Shader Preset (preset must be for a Carrara shader)
    - Camera(s) Preset
    - Light(s) Preset

Native AutoFit functionality means:
    - Conversion of legacy parametric clothing to TriAx™ weigh mapped figures
    - Automatic Morph Projection quickly gives you the fit you need for your figure's shape.
    - Automatic Weight Map Projection allows AutoFit clothing to bend and pose smoothly with the figure.
    - Morphs built into clothing are carried through the AutoFit process.

Improved Sequencer, Keyframing and Animation Tools
    - New keyboard shortcuts to:
    - Play/Stop animation
    - Advance the frame
    - Preview a frame
    - Key Frame Filters
    - Sample – Creates a key at every frame of the animation.
    - Smooth – Smooth out wild keys to get an even looking animation
    - Reduce – Programatically determine which keys are unecessary and eliminate them.
    - Graph Editor Box allows for fine tuning of animations
    - Easily adjust timing
    - Simple yet powerful manipulation of amplitude
    - Scale, and translate key frames along the Graph Editor.
    - Marquee selection of key frames for Graph Editor.

Smart Content and CMS Integration
    - Carrara can now access the CMS database; PostgreSQL or Valentina.
    - New smart content pane allows users to browse smart content by:
    - File
    - Category
    - Product
    - File view provides selection based filtering so that the user only sees items compatible with the current instance tray selection.
    - Double click and drag and drop loading are both supported in Smart Content Tab.

Parameters Actions
    - Zero, Memorize and Restore:
    - Figure
    - Figure Shape
    - Figure Pose
    - Selection
    - Selection Shape
    - Selection Pose
    - Selection Tree
    - Selection Tree Pose
    - Selection Tree Shape
    - Provides users with powerful tools to reset a pose, shape or both.
    - Memorize and Restore allow user to take a snap shot of the model's current pose and/or shape and restore all or part of it.

Improved Fit to Functionality
    - Automatic projection and following of morphs for TriAx™ Figures
    - No more relying on built in clothing morphs to fit clothing over a figure. Carrara automatically projects any morphs for a TriAx™ figure onto items conformed to the figure.

Improved Viewport Avatars
    - Spotlight, Sunlight, Moonlight, Tube Lights and Shape lights have all received a makeover and can easily be identified in the viewport.

Five years anniversary smiley

do we have a party or a wake broken heart

cant help but cry over the -General Weight Mapped figures. 

request feature for Carrara X:

would like to use poser (M4's) vascular displacement maps to lift geometry in silhouettes.

th3Digit said:

fight! for your right! to parrrtayyyy!

could daz please try again to give us general rigging?

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    th3Digit said:

Octane 4 beta for Carrara was just released. Party on!
  • MerKhrys said:

I started in 3D with Poser too. I used it for years, but never felt really at ease with it. Since I discovered Carrara, I almost never used Poser again.

i started in poser and moved to carrara as my primary 3d program but i still use poser constantly but its just a tool in the workflow now not a primary 3d editor (I have game dev if you Rig something in carrara you can't use bvh animations on it but you can export a collada file import that in poser and save it as a new figure then open THAT in carrara and you CAN use bvh animations.

MerKhrys said:

i started in poser and moved to carrara as my primary 3d program but i still use poser constantly but its just a tool in the workflow now not a primary 3d editor (I have game dev if you Rig something in carrara you can't use bvh animations on it but you can export a collada file import that in poser and save it as a new figure then open THAT in carrara and you CAN use bvh animations.

handy to know

I do save my FBX imports in Poser as cr2's from Carrara, iClone, Makehuman, Mixamo you name it and they often work then in DAZ studio too

edited October 2018

hoping the developers didnt give up on 

• General Weight Mapped figures

for carrara because of those genesis 3 crashes

so, why would the ghost bones move but not the mesh?
    something with the bind method mebbe? 

if this 'bind' was fixed, thats a whole lotta clothes and valandar critters would buy from the daz store