DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    tnt said:
    ANYONE DELETE the C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4 files?

I did. I wiped everything since it had been so long between builds after I upgraded from 4.0 and I wanted a clean install. Everything was gone (my library, databases- all of it), but my new install was still showing signs of the old install (ie self-installed scripts with custom buttons) that just would not go away no matter what I did. That folder was my last hope, and it worked (I think that's where custom layouts, etc are stored).YEP, it holds the Config files for DS in the DS3/4 folders.

• Jeanne MJeanne M Posts: 652
    edited June 2013

tnt said:

I do that every time I want a clear install and that's almost every time there's a new version :wink:

Now, which program to install 1st etc. Think I'll start with HEX, THEN BRYCE, MAYBE CARARRA or Studio, lastly Poser? When I'm sure everything works I'll slowly add content, rebooting and testing often. Anybody ever make a such a list? Any knowledge on how to create uninstallers for content obtained from other sources? It'd be great to install and remove content by genre of work in progress from time to time.

When I really install those programs again I always start with Poser, then DS - Bryce - Hexagon - Carrara

My content (also my DS content) is on external drives and stay there, just point the various programs -if needed- to those runtimes again.

Love, Jeanne

Post edited by Jeanne M on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Hi guys maybe someone answer it already but since the last DS updated my wacom tablet pen spin like crazy the cameras in the viewport can't even pose or anything else beside clicking on the buttons , is there any option to fix this under the preferences ? it was before but now I can'y find , I am not using mouse so for me no other option

thanks in advance
    Cath

• edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    tnt said:

I did. I wiped everything since it had been so long between builds after I upgraded from 4.0 and I wanted a clean install. Everything was gone (my library, databases- all of it), but my new install was still showing signs of the old install (ie self-installed scripts with custom buttons) that just would not go away no matter what I did. That folder was my last hope, and it worked (I think that's where custom layouts, etc are stored).

I didn't know that file or that folder existed. Why doesn't uninstalling CMS get rid of everything like that?

However, my problems began with a brand new hard drive with a brand new and fully updated Win7 pro 64 bit installation. It had never had a DAZ product installed on it before. A freshly downloaded version of DS 4.6 was the first thing I installed on it, then DIM, then my content via DIM. Even then, starting out absolutely fresh, the CMS wasn't working.

After many uninstalls and reinstalls, I tried shutting off my UAC (user account controls?) in Windows. One final uninstall of CMS and reinstall of DS 4.6 was all it took after that. I was finally able to reset the database & re-import metadata. Later I found the firewall controls in the control panel and added anything that looked like it might be related to DAZ, and after doing that I turned the UAC back on, and everything still works! (I wound up also having serious instability problems with Win7 that were unrelated to my DAZ problems, but those were resolved with downloads - bloatware mostly - from Lenovo, the manufacturer of the laptop.)

There's something I need to know: I have been assuming that administrators and moderators in this forum are DAZ employees. Is that true?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

ChiMakwa said:

I didn't know that file or that folder existed. Why doesn't uninstalling CMS get rid of everything like that?

Those are the DS settings (nothing CMS-related) -- they don't get removed or you would lose all your customizations when you update DS.

There's something I need to know: I have been assuming that administrators and moderators in this forum are DAZ employees. Is that true?

No, we're volunteers.

• CMacksCMacks Posts: 202
    edited December 1969

I'm having trouble saving poses for V4. I've tried a few different options: pose preset, character preset, hierarchical pose preset, etc. They seem to save ok, but when I apply them to V4, I don't get back what I saved. For example, most of the pose may work but the arms, or face, poses do not. In DS3, I saved poses all the time and used them both for the poses themselves, and for saving body morphs, face morphs, etc. Would like to recover that functionality with DS4. Thanks!

• edited December 1969

ChiMakwa said:

Those are the DS settings (nothing CMS-related) -- they don't get removed or you would lose all your customizations when you update DS.

No, we're volunteers.

Oh no! I've been doing so much venting and complaining to the wrong people! I'm truly sorry to any of you if I've been an ungrateful snot when you've tried to help me!

Ever since I started using DS, I thought this board was staffed by DAZ techs because of all the help that's always been immediately available. Requests for help are usually responded to by an admin right away.

I can't tell you guys how sorry I am if I acted like you were part of the problem when the truth is the exact opposite. I'm going to stand in the corner now and feel like a right twit.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Anyone have a problem with 4.6 constantly crashing when loading up a scene? I had Aiko in the scene, added the freak, then tried to load another item of clothing and 4.6 decided to crash. Previously I had the church open, aiko then when I loaded freak and tried to dress him 4.6 decided to crash.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Anyone have a problem with 4.6 constantly crashing when loading up a scene? I had Aiko in the scene, added the freak, then tried to load another item of clothing and 4.6 decided to crash. Previously I had the church open, aiko then when I loaded freak and tried to dress him 4.6 decided to crash.

nope works great for me !

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Hi guys maybe someone answer it already but since the last DS updated my wacom tablet pen spin like crazy the cameras in the viewport can't even pose or anything else beside clicking on the buttons , is there any option to fix this under the preferences ? it was before but now I can'y find , I am not using mouse so for me no other option

thanks in advance
    Cath

I don't know what's happening ... because my Intuos3 works fine in DS4.6 (much better than with DS4.0, where I did have those crazy effects).

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

...4.6, 32 or 64 bit?
    edited December 1969

CMacks said:
    I'm having trouble saving poses for V4. I've tried a few different options: pose preset, character preset, hierarchical pose preset, etc. They seem to save ok, but when I apply them to V4, I don't get back what I saved. For example, most of the pose may work but the arms, or face, poses do not. In DS3, I saved poses all the time and used them both for the poses themselves, and for saving body morphs, face morphs, etc. Would like to recover that functionality with DS4. Thanks!

Any thoughts on this? Should I file a bug report? Thanks...

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

@CMacks: it should be "Pose Preset", but it won't save scaling, for which you use a shaping preset.<-That is for a weightmapped V4, or at least it was before 4.6; if your V4 uses legacy rigging (i.e. it's a fresh V4 you loaded from your Poser content), try Save As->Deprecated->Pose Preset.

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

in DS 4.0 + was working just fine until the new update 4.6 , it may not recognize my tablet , and I am also on Win 8 , I don't want to mess with as everything else working fine with the tablet beside DS 4.6

:(

Kerya said:
    Mec4D said:

thanks in advance
    Cath

I don't know what's happening ... because my Intuos3 works fine in DS4.6 (much better than with DS4.0, where I did have those crazy effects).

• _manne__manne_ Posts: 284
    edited December 1969

Installed DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 now my Reality 2 won't load.

I reinstalled reality and when I go to the plugins section it says that it's loaded but it is not available in my render options. Has anyone else had an issue like this? My Luxus plugin still shows. Any ideas on how to get everything functional again?

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    edited December 1969

manne said:

I reinstalled reality and when I go to the plugins section it says that it's loaded but it is not available in my render options. Has anyone else had an issue like this? My Luxus plugin still shows. Any ideas on how to get everything functional again?

Are you using the latest Reality version, 2.5.1.122? It works fine with 4.6.0.18.

edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    @CMacks: it should be "Pose Preset", but it won't save scaling, for which you use a shaping preset.<-That is for a weightmapped V4, or at least it was before 4.6; if your V4 uses legacy rigging (i.e. it's a fresh V4 you loaded from your Poser content), try Save As->Deprecated->Pose Preset.

Thanks. Should I be weightmapping my V4s? (Seriously, I don't know much about that so I'd appreciate learning more.) I'm mostly (but not always) opening scenes created in DS3A, fiddling around and then saving in DS4.6 as .dufs.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,835
    edited December 1969

CMacks said:
    Thanks. Should I be weightmapping my V4s?

Only if your a complete masochist or clinically insane.
  • _manne__manne_ Posts: 284
    edited June 2013

manne said:

Are you using the latest Reality version, 2.5.1.122? It works fine with 4.6.0.18.

Nevermind I figured it out. I had reset my default menus so it wasn't showing up. I found it and added it back to the list. Thanks for answering though.

Post edited by _manne_ on
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    CMacks said:
    Thanks. Should I be weightmapping my V4s?

Only if your a complete masochist or clinically insane.

I use Daz Studio, don't I? ... ;)

• DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 490
    edited December 1969

Hi, Just to add to the help list, has anyone else had problems with items going spikey? I loaded actual hair for genesis and a part of it spiked down to the floor and stayed there no matter where I moved the hair. It's kind of like using a 4th generation pose on genesis and the hands and feet shooting out. anyone know of a fix? there have been other items doing that as well. Thank you for any help.

• niccipbniccipb Posts: 483
    edited June 2013

Hi...

decoyboy said:
    Hi, Just to add to the help list, has anyone else had problems with items going spikey? I loaded actual hair for genesis and a part of it spiked down to the floor and stayed there no matter where I moved the hair. It's kind of like using a 4th generation pose on genesis and the hands and feet shooting out. anyone know of a fix? there have been other items doing that as well. Thank you for any help.

I don't have Actual Hair for Genesis, but I think the problem has to do with SubD and the mesh geometry... Check to see if the hair is set to a mesh resolution of High and is using "catmark" sub-division... if so, then change the sub-division algorithm to "catmull-clark (legacy)"...

I have V4 Actual Hair and when using SubD on catmark it gets a spike down to the floor... this is because it has a few polygons that are messy and "catmark" doesn't like them, as they do not sub-divide well... I don't know if the V4 and Genesis versions share any geometry, but the "catmark" algorithm is very picky about having neat mesh geometry...

Hope this helps... ;)

Edit: With the spike, it will render normally using 3Delight, but not if using OpenGL or exporting to Luxrender....

Post edited by niccipb on
  • DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 490
    edited December 1969

Thank You niccipb,
    Your suggestion worked well. I use that hair often, but this is the first time I used it in 4.6. I seen the catmark and stuff, but I didn't know what they were for. Thank you for the help again.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Ug, anyone else getting MASSIVE amounts of crashes? i've had more than 30 crashes in 2 days, just doing the normal regular stuff. This is probably the WORST version of Daz that i've had in YEARS. What a buggy fiasco. :( it's taking me days to accomplish what should take an afternoon!!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I haven't had ANY crashes, not even any problems with rendering.

edited June 2013

Ug, anyone else getting MASSIVE amounts of crashes? i've had more than 30 crashes in 2 days, just doing the normal regular stuff. This is probably the WORST version of Daz that i've had in YEARS. What a buggy fiasco. :( it's taking me days to accomplish what should take an afternoon!!

...I still occasionally get those "freeze ups" when using Silkessence that require closing 4.6 in Windows Task Manager.

Had an odd crash (where you get that little progress monitor in the middle of the screen show up before the Crash Report dialogue appears) after I shut 4.6 down while testing to make sure the Reality plugin "saw" the install of Luxrender. Cancelled the render process before closing the app down so seems like a "memory leak" sprung somewhere to cause it.

Otherwise, crashes have been quite rare.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Only time I crash, if ever, is loading shaders onto a massive amount of surfaces at one time (ie the Supersuit), and it doesn't happen all the time.

edited December 1969

...with some items I found if you turn smoothing off before applying the shaders, it works a lot better.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll try that next time. Would turning the resolution to base help too at all?

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

It's been awhile.... hello everybody! *waves* :-) Wow.. lots of changes... I wasn't gone that long!!! lol

I feel like I've tumbled into Wonderland or something. Nothing is familiar! (Crazy!) Anyway... I have no idea where to begin... obviously by my rambling... lol

I want to update to Daz Studio 4.6. But ... I have a few issues with understanding some stuff. See, when DS4 first went free, I set the layout up like my old DS and kept everything working with my old Content Libraries (aka, "Runtimes", for those like me, who also use an older version of Poser).... so I just never messed around with metadata... or with how the new Studio liked to organise content. I just kept putting things in their "Geometries, Libraries, Textures" folders and carried on....

....but then Daz Studio changed the file format to DSON, so I thought to save myself work, instead of reinstalling ALL of my content, I would just keep my Genesis stuff in a Daz Studio content library and let it access the other Poserey stuff from my old libraries....

...but that is not always working out. (seems to be causing crashes when I try to let DS open stuff from old libraries) and because I haven't been including metadata ... I have no idea if that is the reason why because I have absolutely no understanding of metadata...

or of how things get organised when allowed to do it automatically... and since I usually like to organise things my own way, I'm a little hesitant. I have nearly 5 years of stuff... (yikes!) That could be a LOT of work....

Will I really have to just install everything fresh to get everything to work properly? How will I get it to work with my OLDER version of Poser? (Poser 6 compatible content) and with Carrara compatible content? Will I be able to organize my folders into "Runtimes" that make sense to me?

Also...which one of those installs on the download page is the right one for me? Each product has like 4 different options to download. I no longer understand which one I need. I haven't tried the install manager thing since it was in beta so I have no idea if it's a good idea to let it install things for me or not. I want my Poser and Carrara compatible content to be able to access these things as well...

Not sure what I need to do to get things working properly for me. Can someone advise? Thanks.

Jaz