The older generation: Victoria 2/3, Michael 2/3 and their children renders

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    sriesch said:

Kerya, thank you for starting this thread, and thanks to all who have contributed..  Very worthwhile read.

In Carrara, I prefer to use the older characters.  They are actually less resource-intensive, with a richness in features that is underestimated (IMO).

Here is V3 with no postwork:

I did this image to round up votes for the current Carrara Challenge.  V3 behaved very nicely through the whole process. :)

Nice.  Out of curiosity, do you remember which V3 character this was?

Texture is https://www.daz3d.com/dna-shahara-for-victoria-3-for-p4-p5-p6 - just look at the beauty marks.

(ignore the Required products on that page - ugh!)

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

The skin texture is Shahara, which was sold at RuntimeDNA and migrated to DAZ: https://www.daz3d.com/dna-shahara-for-victoria-3-for-p4-p5-p6

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited November 2017

I'm sorry, I thought the question was if I had used a specific character morph, which I did not.  Indeed, the skin texture is Shahara, which is very distinctive.  If Syyd is involved, that is usually a good thing.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724
    edited November 2017

Mother and daughter at Grand Central Station: V3 Teresa (character and hair) from Daz store, V3 Bernadette from Rendo (I think?), wearing Periwinkle Blue and Riki Blue textures, respectively (by Thorne). In background: Hiro 3, showing his approval, Rikishi is leaving, and M3 is checking his watch.

Nice one. Is the pants and shirt the daughter is wearing available anywhere?

Post edited by Taoz on
    edited November 2017

Aiko 3 stuff rendered in Iray.

dagonessa_richness_ws.jpg
    800 x 1270 - 549K
    dagonessa_main_gr.jpg
    800 x 1270 - 575K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    Taoz said:

It's Tisa's Weekend Adventure - https://www.daz3d.com/tisa-s-weekend-adventure-v3

(Maybe I'll beat Kerya this time!)

mmalbert said:
    Taoz said:

It's Tisa's Weekend Adventure - https://www.daz3d.com/tisa-s-weekend-adventure-v3

(Maybe I'll beat Kerya this time!)

Ha - already have that one! Too much content, as usual. Thanks!

I can totally relate to the too much content thing -- it's even happening for me now with the newer Genesis models, and I'm rediscovering things I've completely forgotten I've bought.

As far as surprises go, those at least are pleasant ones!

mmalbert said:

I can totally relate to the too much content thing -- it's even happening for me now with the newer Genesis models, and I'm rediscovering things I've completely forgotten I've bought.

As far as surprises go, those at least are pleasant ones!

Yes - it's always good to discover that you already have what you're looking for. Especially if it's no longer available in the store.

• Just a 'heads up' about Victoria 1 being in MimicLite...

Yes she *is* in its Runtime, but as blMilWomLoNG aka 'Victoria 1 RR', so cannot be used to decode 'Classic' PCF or RTE files that require blMilWom.obj .

sad

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited January 2018

Having "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" on my mind (catching earlier this week...for the umpteenth time), I wondered if I could use the hoofed "Freaky Devil" (a long vanished DAZ freebie for F3) along with the "Freak Cyclops" (a still available Plat Club offering)  to recreate Harryhausen's distinctive take on the mythological beast.

Obviously, it's nowhere perfect, but I'm honestly surprised I did as adequate as I did.  His three digit hands were a simple cheat.  I posed them in a kind of "Vulcan salute", going so far as to bend the mid knuckles a bit sideways (something a "normal" joint can NOT do) so they would "taper' towards the tip.  Then I just "rubbed" a bit with the "soften" tool in PaintShop to hide the worst of the seams.  I also "bungled" with it to blend the edge between the bare skin and the "wool" which I achieved using a "turbulence" procedural linked to the displacement channel.

Sincerely,

Bill

F3-Cyclops-J-2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 96K
    Post edited by Redfern on
  • Redfern said:

Having "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" on my mind (catching earlier this week...for the umpteenth time), I wondered if I could use the hoofed "Freaky Devil" (a long vanished DAZ freebie for F3) along with the "Freak Cyclops" (a still available Plat Club offering)  to recreate Harryhausen's distinctive take on the mythological beast.

Obviously, it's nowhere perfect, but I'm honestly surprised I did as adequate as I did.  His three digit hands were a simple cheat.  I posed them in a kind of "Vulcan salute", going so far as to bend the mid knuckles a bit sideways (something a "normal" joint can NOT do) so they would "taper' towards the tip.  Then I just "rubbed" a bit with the "soften" tool in PaintShop to hide the worst of the seams.  I also "bungled" with it to blend the edge between the bare skin and the "wool" which I achieved using a "turbulence" procedural linked to the displacement channel.

Sincerely,

Bill

Honestly? I'm surpised, too! This is more than adequate, and I really love your cheat on the hands. I have filed that one away for the next time I need to make alien hands or something like that. This is quite a nice job, especially considering what you started with. 

• Taoz said:

Aiko 3 stuff rendered in Iray.

Your work with Aiko 3 is very nice! I never would have guessed which figure this was (I would have guessed Aiko, but a newer version). This is an instance where the textures and render quality really elevate the source model. Nice job.

...I really love your cheat on the hands. I have filed that one away for the next time I need to make alien hands or something like that.

Obviously, this is a solution that would not do for animation, but for a "still", it's a quick enough fix.  Normally, I try to achieve everything "in render".  Certainly there is nothing wrong with "postwork", but as a personal challenge, I try to accomplish as much as I can within the rendering suite.  In theory, I could have tried "frankensteining" the hands of the original DAZ Troll (having just 2 fingers and a thum per hand) onto Freak 3, but then I would have had to deal with seams at the wrist.  I did use that approach to depict a Sontaran (a cloned warrior species from Doctor Who) because a spacesuit sleeve served as a natural "break" point.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited February 2018

I've been working on a dieselpunk project and broke out M3 yesterday (he's with HW's Dawn)

He's also wearing the Sol Eilte for M4 texture.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    edited February 2018

mmalbert, I love the uniforms and characters. Dawn looks great with that hair. Is that Daedalus Sky Mercenary for M3?

I am really enjoying all the renders on this thread. 

I don't have a lot of patience with the older generations because of clothes not fitting on morphed characters. I do love some of the characters and outfits though. 

Here is Ghost of Macbeth's M3 Creatures Combo. The second one is Stephanie 3 with the really cool CygnusX:Sci-Pirate outfit

hill troll 1.jpg
    741 x 1200 - 385K
    hill troll face.jpg
    741 x 1200 - 447K
    sp3 cygnusX.jpg
    927 x 1500 - 566K
    Post edited by luci45 on

Yes, that's Sky Mercenary for M3. One of my favorite outfits ever. I wish it had been updated for G2M or G3M; it doesn't autofit without some issues. But I'm a "use 'em all" kind of person when it comes to figures, so I don't mind using older ones if necessary.

I have had mixed results with fitting clothes to the more extreme shapes of older figures. The Transfer Active morphs, mesh smoothing, and push modifer help a lot. On the first page of this topic I posted a V3 render using CDI's Rayne, including one of the bodies, which are a little more extreme. I didn't have much trouble fitting clothes to her with the newer tools in DS4.

Critters like GOM's are more extreme, though. I like your creature guy, his face has a lot of character!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,654
    mmalbert said:

Yes, that's Sky Mercenary for M3. One of my favorite outfits ever. I wish it had been updated for G2M or G3M; it doesn't autofit without some issues. But I'm a "use 'em all" kind of person when it comes to figures, so I don't mind using older ones if necessary.

I have had mixed results with fitting clothes to the more extreme shapes of older figures. The Transfer Active morphs, mesh smoothing, and push modifer help a lot. On the first page of this topic I posted a V3 render using CDI's Rayne, including one of the bodies, which are a little more extreme. I didn't have much trouble fitting clothes to her with the newer tools in DS4.

Critters like GOM's are more extreme, though. I like your creature guy, his face has a lot of character!

Yes, I love Sky Mercenary for M3 too. I've used it some on Genesis and Luthbelle's stuff isn't real tight, so that is nice, helps some with the fit. 

The GOM Creautures Combo has nice textures and bump maps. Those were rendered without tweaking or converting to Iray. So, worth having if you have the patience to fit clothing. I didn't - just gave him tight leather shorts.

• Agreed. The Sky Mercinary outfit is very classic. It just captures that old-time pulp adventurer feel. Nice work with the outfit, and with Dawn.

Forum notifications are temperamental things...

Thanks, mmitchell!

I can get the M3 outfit on newer generations, but the autofit clones clip the front corners of the jacket, giving them a diagonal edge instead of a straight 90-degree one. Mesh smoothing also makes some odd little holes. Some of this is easy enough to fix in postwork -- or by using poses the hide the problem -- but I still wish it would be updated to newer geneartions, male and female. I'd definitely buy it again.

Dawn is wearing a G3F dress. It works pretty well as long as I don't move her legs too much. :)

I forgot I had that GoM M3 Creature set. I should convert the textures to M4, so he and the various Genesis 1-3 folks can wear them as well.

• luci45 said:

A great idea for a thread. I haven't used any of the old ones for a while. LOL. This is M3 with Digger James morph and Merlin (RDNA) texture.and Danyel hair. Rendered in Iray after much fiddling with skin settings. 

That's an amazing character.  I wish so much that some of these older models and outfits were remade for the newer models. 

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,921
    edited February 2018

M4 Cimmerian Using iray...Hopefully, it won't be the last you see of him, under a different artist! 

M4 CONAN 1.png
    680 x 725 - 514K
    Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • I can get the M3 outfit on newer generations, but the autofit clones clip the front corners of the jacket, giving them a diagonal edge instead of a straight 90-degree one. Mesh smoothing also makes some odd little holes. Some of this is easy enough to fix in postwork -- or by using poses the hide the problem -- but I still wish it would be updated to newer geneartions, male and female. I'd definitely buy it again.

Have you tried bypassing autofit as described here? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/59515/another-converting-victoria-4-footwear-to-genesis-2-maybe-g3f-small-update

No, I hadn't seen that one. Bookmarked, thanks!

Inspired by a silly and "saucy" 4 panel comic by Drake Fenwick, I tried to create (or maybe the better word is "interpret") his admittedly rather dramatic first panel in which Lt. M'Ress (morphed from Aiko 3) rather than Kirk confronts the dreaded Gorn of "Arena" (which is Michael 2 because a Greco-Roman tunic exists for him that I thought would work perfectly for the Gorn's attire)

Credits

Lt. M'Ress

Aiko 3...DAZ
    Body textures...Daio
    Body B-maps...Verge Visible
    Face and body morphs...Beth Capsces
    "Paw" morphs...JENelson (aka Achronicity)
    Tail prop...Little Dragon
    Mane (Hr-086)...Ali (new rigging...Oshikai/Idelacio)
    Uniform...Oshikai/Idelacio

Gorn

Michael 2...DAZ
    Tunic...Olympian Conforming Clothing for Victoria & Michael
    Feet...Creech (supplied with Poser)
    Gorn head...XCalPro

Environment & Props

"Gorn" Rock (based upon the Vasquez Rock formation)...Laticis (DA member)
    Obsidian dagger...Fantasy Crystal 2 by Laticis (DA member)
    Terrain..."New Colony" by Petipet
    Bamboo cannon...Redfern (me)

Sincerely,

Bill

• Redfern said:

Inspired by a silly and "saucy" 4 panel comic by Drake Fenwick, I tried to create (or maybe the better word is "interpret") his admittedly rather dramatic first panel in which Lt. M'Ress (morphed from Aiko 3) rather than Kirk confronts the dreaded Gorn of "Arena" (which is Michael 2 because a Greco-Roman tunic exists for him that I thought would work perfectly for the Gorn's attire)

Credits

Lt. M'Ress

Aiko 3...DAZ
    Body textures...Daio
    Body B-maps...Verge Visible
    Face and body morphs...Beth Capsces
    "Paw" morphs...JENelson (aka Achronicity)
    Tail prop...Little Dragon
    Mane (Hr-086)...Ali (new rigging...Oshikai/Idelacio)
    Uniform...Oshikai/Idelacio

Gorn

Michael 2...DAZ
    Tunic...Olympian Conforming Clothing for Victoria & Michael
    Feet...Creech (supplied with Poser)
    Gorn head...XCalPro

Environment & Props

"Gorn" Rock (based upon the Vasquez Rock formation)...Laticis (DA member)
    Obsidian dagger...Fantasy Crystal 2 by Laticis (DA member)
    Terrain..."New Colony" by Petipet
    Bamboo cannon...Redfern (me)

Sincerely,

Bill

This is a very exciting piece, especially with Aiko 3 as the base. Impressive. You did a great job with the skirt and I love the little patches of dirt and worn fabric. And that hair is SPOT ON for the 1960s. Impressive!

Even before Beth Capscesreleased her "Kioki" morphs for Aiko 3, I was trying to turn her into a kemono (not to ne confused with kimono) type catgirl.  After Capsces released her set which included a "mzzle" and related facial morphs, I achieved even better results.  A set of textures by Daio sold only at the now long gone PoserPros called "Felis Sapians"added to the effect.  It was intended for Victoria and Michael 3, but since A3 shared the same UV layout, it worked perfectly well for her.

The "mane" is a product by Ali, a vendor at Renderosity, specifically "HR-086".  Thalek, a fellow Poser user and Trek fan, informed me of it, noting if it were just a little longer, it would greatly resemble the hairstyle worn by Lt. M'Ress in the 1973 animated adaptation of Star Trek.  I contacted Ali and asked how long could the hair be reasonably morphed.  I explained my reasons for that feature.  By the next day, he told me he had a free morph on his site that should generate the length I wanted.  So I bought the product, downloaded the morph and experimented with the fullness and length.  Sometime later, Idelacio saw my results.  He got the product and created a couple of morphs that would better reveal her cat-like ears.

The soiled effect of the clothing?  That's an amazingly simple trick I often use.  Please note this involves Poser's "Material Room".  Instead of the main texture plugging directly into the diffuse channel, I include a node to bridge them.  It's the "cloudy" node.  I change the "blue" of the "sky" to some shade of grey and then I feed the texture node into both the ""sky" and "cloud" "sockets" of the procedural.  The procedural node then feeds into the diffuse channel.  This results in having random areas of the normal color strength and other regions that are darker.  By tweaking the "sharpness", "scale" and "complexicity of the "cloudy" node, I create something just slightly "dingey" up to bold ink type stains.  By changing the "sky" to red, boom, instant blood stains.

The rips and tears are from the "Rag-erator" product offered here.  However, I found I could get a more desirable look by simply feeding the "rip" texture into the "transparency" channel without including the fancy node arrangement the product generates.  For some reason, it made the torn spots "glow".

Anyway, those are the "secrets" to my effects.

Sincerely,

Bill

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited March 2018

Here's one I recently completed using V3 (with GND2 Athletic).  However I'm not really happy with the hip/leg part of the pose, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong or what would be better.

red hot.png
    1920 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • DeanpwDeanpw Posts: 258

It's great to see some of the old characters making a return :)

• Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

You did a truly amazing job emulating the Cyclops! I've often wished there were a standalone figure for that movie monster and am still kicking myself for not buying a real posable verion of the Cyclops years ago when prices were reasonable.