Rim Light Rig Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Thanks for posting Llynara. That preset really is a smart fit for the clowns. 

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited December 2017

Ilideus the Centauress

This is a cool light set! smiley I used the plane rig in Rim Light Rig Iray for the lights. I did move several of the planes around to get more lighting on her, but not enough apparently because her skin is too dark. I could have added a ghost light near her skin, but I wanted to use only one light rig. I'll have to experiment more with this set.

She is posing on a base in Stonemason's new Diorama Bases Pack V1.
    No postwork other than to hide a few of the light planes that were showing in the render.

Post edited by dawnblade on
  • MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459

Hi dawnblade. Thanks for posting. That new Bases Pack looks very interesting for smaller figure based scenes so I'm glad to see your render here with the Rim Light Rig. I'm curious about the light planes showing as they are supposed to be invisible. I have noticed there can be a very faint artifact when using some extreme DOF, is that how they showed up in your render? Otherwise, you shouldn't have to hide them. 

Did it help you when you repositioned the lights that no matter where you moved them they were still pointed at the light target? 

edited December 2017

Here is the actual render. You can see 5 of the lights (I used the Main light plane) around her, and I didn't use DOF. The light pointer works great. It is so nice to be able to move it and have the lights targeted at one spot.

I definitely need to experiment more with this light set to try and get the main figure lit better without adding other lights like ghost lights, but still have that dramatic rim lighting look.

FemaleCentaurOnDiorama.png
    1000 x 800 - 588K
    Post edited by dawnblade on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited December 2017

I find that I use this a lot.  Both of these use the rim lights as the only lighting.

INDIRA V4 2 FINAL.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 878K
    JUSTICE SYMPATICO ICD.jpg
    988 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Those are nice, @IceDragonArt! Did you use the plane rig or spotlights? Is the placement of your light rig as rim lights, or did you flip them and encircle your characters with them, as Marshian shows in one of his promos?

Since I have plenty of light sets that surround the character, I'm placing these specifically as rim lights, without adding other lights. I definitely need to play with these more.

Honestly it just depends on what I am doing.  The red and white one was the normal rig moved to the right and angled a bit.

The other one I used the blue and purple one its the regular rim light moved just about level with the character. 

Basically, I pick a color and play with it until I am happy, so I move it around, rotate it, or angle it depending on what i want.

Thanks. I've done those too, as well as scaled it. Playing with it now.

Here is version 2. I moved the rig light to the side to light more of her face and skin.

• dawnblade said:

Here is version 2. I moved the rig light to the side to light more of her face and skin.

Lovely render!

Thank you @giselle3000!
  • eslewiseslewis Posts: 21

Clearly I am doing something wrong. I loaded the default rig (have tried others as well) moved the target around. I get nothing from the rig. No light at all. In this other render, you can clearly see the rig, though, at the time I didn't know what it was. It would need to be smaller to fit the scene so I don't know if there is any light or not from it. I was messing around with a very narrow depth of field, so sorry it looks funny. The first picture is an Iray preview of nothing but the subject and the rig. Nothing else is in the scene. It renders completely black. 

What the heck am I doing or not doing?

RLR.PNG
    1625 x 1198 - 142K
    Future_Reception.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Is that the Iray Rim Light rig? I don't have a Rim Light Camera or a RimLight UE when I use the Iray rig. There's also nothing that renders in the scene even when the rig is on-camera.

• eslewiseslewis Posts: 21

https://www.daz3d.com/rim-light-rig - Yes, apparently that is the problem. This page doesn't specify a renderer, and I did not know there were two of them. Maybe I will see what 3delight looks like but likely this is something I will never use since I use IRAY for everything.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

If you bought it in the last 30 days, return it!

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,091
    Marshian said:

Hi dawnblade. Thanks for posting. That new Bases Pack looks very interesting for smaller figure based scenes so I'm glad to see your render here with the Rim Light Rig. I'm curious about the light planes showing as they are supposed to be invisible. I have noticed there can be a very faint artifact when using some extreme DOF, is that how they showed up in your render? Otherwise, you shouldn't have to hide them. 

Did it help you when you repositioned the lights that no matter where you moved them they were still pointed at the light target?

For me, the plane lights don't show if I render, but the spotlights do. I scaled up the splotlight rig so that all the spots are out of the camera's sighting. Is that what we're supposed to do if we use a spotlight rig? I just bought this set yesterday, so I'm new to it.

If I move the Light Pointer, either for the plane rig or the spotlight rig, I don't notice the lights or planes twisting or turning. Should I? I'm on a Macintosh, Sierra, OS 10.12.6, and using DAZ Studio 4.10.0.123. Would the Light Pointer work differently on a Macintosh, or just not work?

• inquire said:
    Marshian said:

For me, the plane lights don't show if I render, but the spotlights do. I scaled up the splotlight rig so that all the spots are out of the camera's sighting. Is that what we're supposed to do if we use a spotlight rig? I just bought this set yesterday, so I'm new to it.

Are you rendering in Iray? Rendering in 3delight might be the only reason I could think that those wouldn't render. And yeah, if you move the light pointer, you should see the spotlights moving. Can you post some screenshots of how you're scene look?

Yes, I'm rendering in iRay. Just got back to my computer. OK, let me try getting some screenshots.  The Spotlights do render, but I see the spotlights (or their icons) if they are within camera range. For the plane lights, they can be within camera range, and they don't show up when I render.

edited February 2018

OK, got some screen shots ready. The first shows, in Wire Texture Shaded View (but I render in Texture Shaded), the Spotlight Rig and the Plane Rig.

The Second shows the Light Pointer for the Plane Rig. Now, I can rotate, move, etc., the Light Pointer, but I don't see any changes taking place in those Planes. Shouldn't they move?

The Third shows the Light Pointer for the Spotlight Rig. Same as before: I can move or rotate the Light Pointr, but I do not see any changes taking place in the Spotlights. Shouldn't I see changes?

I can, of course, move either the Plane Rig or the Spotlight Rig by itself. 

Wire Texture Shaded.png
    2560 x 1440 - 727K
    Light Pointer for Plane Rig.png
    1274 x 729 - 127K
    Light Pointer Spotlight Rig.png
    669 x 574 - 85K
    Post edited by inquire on

Oh, another thing I just discovered: DId it more than once, to test. I can DELETE the Plane Rig and Pointer just fine. But, if I try to DELETE the Spotlight Rig and the Spotlight Pointer, DAZ STUDIO 4.10.123 QUITS without any warning. Don't know why. Again, I'm on a Macintosh, running Sierra, OS 10.12.6. (I guess, if I wanted to change, I could HIDE the Spotlight Rig and Pointer, but not DELETE it.)

Still working with the Rim Light Rig Set. In this first screen shot, the figure is posed and both a Spotlight Rig and a Plane Rig are present. It's back in Texture Shaded mode. The Spotlights show, but they don't once the scene is rendered. In the second screen shot, the Plane artifacts show in the render.

PreRender_Spotlight Artifacts Show.png
    1261 x 1002 - 310K
    Rendered_Planes Show.png
    1215 x 1194 - 1M
    edited February 2018

Upon further trial and experimentation, it now seems that those artifacts only appear if I use BOTH a Spotlight Rim set and a Plane Rim set. So is the answer to use one or the other for a single render, but not both? Or, I suppose, make sure the planes or spotlights are out of the camera viewing range if both are used in a single render?

Using ONLY the Light Plane Rig.png
    1198 x 1193 - 1M
    Using ONLY the Spotlight Rig.png
    1069 x 1182 - 1M
    BOTH Spotlight and Plane Light Rigs.png
    1374 x 993 - 1006K
    Post edited by inquire on

That's very strange.  I've never had the lights show in my renders and i have used both in mutiple renders.  I wonder if somewhere in the surfaces tab a setting got changed.

Well, I really am enjoying the set. I did make a mistake above, about moving the Pointers and not seeing any changes. I guess I was expecting big changes. If I move either the Spotlight Pointer or the Plane Pointer, I do see the lights twisting or rotating. The only two things I've noted are that if I try to delete the Spotlight Rig and the Spotlight Pointer, DAZ STUDIO 4.10.0.123 will crash (on a Macintosh running OS 10.12.6). The second is that if I use both a Spotlight Rig and a Plane Rig together in a scene, artifacts appear unless the lights are ouside the camera's viewing range.

IceDragonArt said:

That's very strange.  I've never had the lights show in my renders and i have used both in mutiple renders.  I wonder if somewhere in the surfaces tab a setting got changed.

Well, perhaps you're right. Are you on a Windows computer? I'm on a Macintosh. I haven't changed anything in the surfaces tab, though.

Yes Windows, unfortunately I don't know anything about a Mac.  The only reason I mentioned a settings change was because sometimes, certain scripts or hdr products or other lighting products will change settings and then they may not change back.  Doesn't happen often or with very many products but for instance, I render almost everything without a background so I set my draw dome to off so I have a transparent sky.  A lot of the HDR's will automatically turn that back on so the background will render.  I have to remember to go and turn it off again before I render, when all I want is the light and not the background.

• inquire said:

Upon further trial and experimentation, it now seems that those artifacts only appear if I use BOTH a Spotlight Rim set and a Plane Rim set. So is the answer to use one or the other for a single render, but not both? Or, I suppose, make sure the planes or spotlights are out of the camera viewing range if both are used in a single render?

Perhaps the spotlights "light" is bouncing off planes making them visible? I'm not sure either. I usually stick to using the spotlights but will see if I can experiment some with the planes.

enlightenedIf you look at my initial render above, I also noted that "No postwork other than to hide a few of the light planes that were showing in the render." I completely lost track of my post to inquire why they are showing. Here is the render again. You can clearly see the planes in the render around her head/upper body (click image to see full view).

My final version I moved the plane rig to her left side (mostly to give her more light), but it seemed to fix the planes showing in the render.

I'm on a PC so the issue isn't limited to Mac users. I only used the plane rig, no other lights, and it occurs whether my camera's headlamp is on/off. This is my guess: Changing the Y rotation of the rig so that it is behind and parallel to the subject might be the cause to the planes showing in the render.

As I said, once I moved the light rig to her side, there was no issue.

Here are my settings and viewport, but unfortunately you can't see each of the lights:

RimLightRigPlanesShowingInRender.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 270K
    RimLightRigIrayViewport.JPG
    1390 x 884 - 187K

Have you already erased the light plane artifacts in the rendered version you posted above? I don't see the artifacts.