JACK TOMALIN APPRECIATION SOCIETY [JAS IV]

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,567
    edited May 2013

...will be a bit as I'm at the corner hotspot downloading the full release of 4.6 and various other items (my download speed from home is to say the least, pitiful. It can take 1 - 2 hrs just to DL a 40mb file).

To get the same results in your test I had the ceiling lights at 120% and the both sets of corridor lights at 150%.

I'll post a straight rendered pic before I update everything.

One Question, as I mentioned I did add one linear point light (falloff at 100 and intensity 60%) for a bit of fill light on their faces. I wouldn't think that would have caused the "Uber Brightness", would it? I know that some UE light setups use what is called a "helper" light.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,120
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    One Question, as I mentioned I did add one linear point light (falloff at 100 and intensity 60%) for a bit of fill light on their faces. I wouldn't think that would have caused the "Uber Brightness", would it? I know that some UE light setups use what is called a "helper" light.

I doubt it, but the only way is to do a before/after render to make sure.. I'm fairly certain though that it's not like that 'out of the box' though..

edited December 1969

...I wonder if it is some setting in 4.5/4.6 that I goofed up on. Again, I'll run that test when I get home.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ... I know that some UE light setups use what is called a "helper" light.

That's just with the UberSoft Light Kit afaik.
    edited December 1969

...I see it with some light sets I have, but don't actually have the actual Soft Lights plugin.

-----

Currently DL-ing the two "Monster" bundles. Now I have a whole bunch more of Jack's goodies including (finally) a number of the GIS sets.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited May 2013

it's been nearly two and a half hours so far and only 25% done. Might have to wait until tomorrow until I've got a pic to post.

Come to think of it, was I using the legacy files in D|S3 the last time? Not sure, maybe that could have caused a light glitch?

Hmm I don't know tbh.. I just checked DS3, and that all renders ok, and I even tried the DS3 lights in DS4.. and that renders fine too.. so colour me confused :D
    Well, this is what I got after just over a day of rendering (I think maybe my system hasn't got as much oomph as I thought when I got it a couple of years ago). Not sure what I might have done wrong last time, but the room itself now looks great.

Weird lighting, though, the two figures are actually backlit by something very bright between and behind them at a bit below waist height (both girls are tall, the big one's about 6' 12") — I don't think I've seen that in any of the other renders here.

Court2girls.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 418K
    Post edited by SpottedKitty on
    edited May 2013

...that's why I added the Linear Point Light in front of Leela and Tracey in mine. By itself it is just enough to illuminate them to counter the backlighting effect I originally experienced too.

Must be something odd with UE mesh lights for when I did my pic of KK with Escape to Kyoto, the set was lit fine but she looked to be in complete darkness, illuminated only by the specular lights. To fix this I had to add a narrow focused spotlight (at 60% intensity) on her with no shadows. If I used a full UE sphere, the scene was too bright and the shadows were totally washed out.

edited May 2013

...OK,I loaded the set and rendered it with the lights "out of the box" and the results came out pretty much the same as your test.

I then went back to the main scene and experimented some more.

I first turned off all the UE lights and UE sphere and rendered with just the linear point light which that only illuminated their faces. That came out the way I expected it to.

When I turned the base UE sphere back on with the point light, the scene looked almost as bright as the test render.

I then removed all the lights and UE sphere, turned off the point light, loaded a fresh version of the light set,, and performed a couple spot renders.

First, I did one of just their faces (without the point light), and as I expected, their faces were came out in shadow with some back lighting.

Next, did a spot render of the floor by their feet (with the point light still turned off) and the floor came out "white hot" again.

Finally, I then turned off the UE sphere, however the floor section still rendered very bright.

Thinking there must have been a stray mesh light somewhere that I couldn't account for which might have been causing this (I checked over everything in the scene in the Surfaces Tab, including the figures & their clothing, but found nothing), I then deleted everythign except the two figures and the point light, reloaded fresh versions of he set and set lights, then performed a spot render of the floor by their feet again and it looked the way it did in both your test and the one I did of just the set and the lights

So I'm at a loss as to what caused this.

Performing another render of the complete scene and so far it looks much better.

edited May 2013

...OK the render completed and yes looks very good except for one small detail.

As SpottedKitty pointed out, there appears to be light coming from an odd source. On my pic it seems to be about level with Leela's right knee as the inside of her right leg, the inside of Tracey's left leg, as well as the underside of the cuffs on Leela's shorts are all illuminated. Is there possibly a stray light that should be part of the ceiling array above? This cannot be from reflection from the floor as it is too strong, nor is it from the Linear Point Light I added which is at head level with respect to the girls (see second render).

Another thing I discovered, when I originally rendered the scene, moved the entire set back a bit and rotated the it to have a corridor on each side of the girls (again I set up a scene with my characters at the 0,0 point so I can add props to them while moving/rotating the setting in relation to the figures). This makes me wonder if the lights are parented to the set itself since rotating the set as I did would leave the alcove lights in the middle of the corridors, and the ceiling lights outside of the light fixtures above thus possibly creating the "hot" effect I saw in both the corridors and on the centre of the floor.

I'll experiment with this tomorrow (as it is late here).

bestest_freinds_2_poimt_light.jpg
    900 x 900 - 64K
    bestest_freinds_2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 584K
    edited May 2013

...me again (sorry about that).

My hunch was right about why the lighting was so "hot" the first time I rendered this.

Did two tests, the first loading the set then the lights and rotating/moving the set just a bit (X position -160, Z -340 Y rotated +43°). As can be seen the lights are now out of place with the rest of the set. and the floor is over illuminated similar to what I saw the after first time I rendered my scene.

In the second render test below I parented all the lights to the set and then rotated it. Now the lights move with the set and remain in their proper places.

Apologies for the small size but wasn't about to wait an hour fifteen for each test render to finish. All that reflectivity and 34 lights is still a lot of lights and shadows to calculate even for my beast.

So the mystery is pretty much solved except for where the light down by the knees of the two figures in my main scene is coming from though.

AC_position_test_2.jpg
    400 x 400 - 123K
    AC_position_test_1.jpg
    400 x 400 - 119K
    edited December 1969

Ah cool, that makes sense at least :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Thanks for posting that. Now I'll make a note for when I get around to playing with it. :-)

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

I decided to 'age' an old render of mine not using Photoshop. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norse_graphics/8755114654/in/photostream

Nice! West Pork, perchance?

edited December 1969

Ah cool, that makes sense at least :)

...yeah one of those face palm " I could'a had a a V-8" moments. Should have realised that when the lights loaded as a separate "tree" from the set. Still not sure about that one light is coming from in the centre by the two figures though. I'll have to open things up again to check all the lights' y axis positions.

Something for later tonight though as I have a date with a pitcher of ale and better connectivity than I have at home. Need to DL the new versions of Gimp and Inkscape to install on the workstation so I can make tats & modify/create textures.

BTW any update on the fix for the shelters in Disconsolation?

edited June 2013

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Fired to DAZ the same day, so hopefully the update has been released by now.

edited December 1969

...thanks I'll pull it up in the library and see if the version # was changed.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...thanks I'll pull it up in the library and see if the version # was changed.

Yea have a look, if it hasn't - let me know and I'll chase it up.

edited December 1969

Finally I can show off AC as it was originally meant to be.. :)

Promo_5.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 319K
    edited June 2013

edited December 1969

...I, know.. Well, I guess one less pint tomorrow night.

edited December 1969

Well they say we should all cut down on our alcohol intake.. so consider this a good thing.. ;)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Parkside is the perfect setting for a zombie apocalypse. I've had Parkside Head for a while now, but only recently picked up the zombies for Genesis. So, here's the fruits of them combined. Next stop, zombies in Parkside High!

Left4Dead.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 549K
    edited December 1969

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Parkside is the perfect setting for a zombie apocalypse. I've had Parkside Head for a while now, but only recently picked up the zombies for Genesis. So, here's the fruits of them combined. Next stop, zombies in Parkside High!

Nice! :)

• ReisormocapReisormocap Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

I thought people might be interested in seeing some non-photorealistic renders. I'm working out the workflow for some interior illustrations for the print version of my short novel and - well, you might recognize the setting there. I'd be interested in people's thoughts and feedback on the style.

There was a LOT of post-processing in After Effects on this.

Noir_Art_Test_001.jpg
    800 x 531 - 69K
  • IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited May 2013

Oops, silly.

Post edited by Ippotamus on
    edited December 1969

I thought people might be interested in seeing some non-photorealistic renders. I'm working out the workflow for some interior illustrations for the print version of my short novel and - well, you might recognize the setting there. I'd be interested in people's thoughts and feedback on the style.

Nice work, very graphic-novel-esqe :)

• JGreenleesJGreenlees Posts: 2,249
    edited May 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

Fired to DAZ the same day, so hopefully the update has been released by now.

Not Jack's fault. I am updating it. Which also means converting it. It's being worked on right now actually and the fix and update should go live in the next few days.

Jen *the busy*

Post edited by JGreenlees on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Nice work, very graphic-novel-esqe :)
    My thought as well. I like it! :-)
This discussion has been closed.