Have a Look Around: 360 Renders

Comments

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808
    edited January 2018

posted in wrong thread

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,346

And here I was hoping there was something new to experience.

edited January 2018

And here I was hoping there was something new to experience.

Sadly, it was a dForce post with 20 photos I had to redo in my other thread (and 2 of the images used your The Neighbor's Yard set). Maybe this will incentivize me to do some more 360's

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited January 2018

nice stuff, thanks for the headsup

not sure if this will work

this is Dartanbeck's badlands product via Carrara NPRed

http://2vr.in/V-1F3O

SpehricalCamera-(Slower)_MaterialDiffuse.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 4M
    Post edited by Headwax on

@head wax  looks good! has a painterly quality to it. 

(BTW, your link isn't working so I had to download the image and use  another viewer to see it. Did you respond to the 2VR verification email? It won't remain active unless you do.)

RGcincy said:

@head wax  looks good! has a painterly quality to it. 

(BTW, your link isn't working so I had to download the image and use  another viewer to see it. Did you respond to the 2VR verification email? It won't remain active unless you do.)

thanks :) - yes I responded, I uploaded it a few times with another as well and it worked as first then came up with a dead link. ..... ? Any clues happily received!

edited January 2018

Probably the easiest thing to do is start over and upload the same image again

edited February 2018

Here's a 360 render using Northern Winter Village as the setting. It's slow to render in Iray so I used Scene Optimizer to cut all the textures except the mountain background by half, which allowed it to render with my GPU. Size is 4096 by 2024.

Northern Winter Village spherical.jpg
    4096 x 2048 - 4M
    Northern Winter Villag screen shot.jpg
    1356 x 696 - 134K

snow looks like... snow! nice job , beaut lighting 

thanks head wax

edited February 2018

Here's one using Firstbastion's Rural Crossroads and Road Trip Hippy Van.

Click here for 360 render.  Below is screenshot.

On the Road screenshot.jpg
    1379 x 699 - 311K
  • How well do these work as HDRs? Or is this more of a novelty? I'm curious about using something like this to speed up animation time. If I could for example do my story boards, figure out my camera angles and then render the 360 HDRs that I need for an animation using my sets, I could really cut down on render time.

NSFW said:

How well do these work as HDRs? Or is this more of a novelty? I'm curious about using something like this to speed up animation time. If I could for example do my story boards, figure out my camera angles and then render the 360 HDRs that I need for an animation using my sets, I could really cut down on render time.

@NSFW I don't think they will work as HDRI's as they don't have the bit depth to store the light info (although I recall a thread or two discussing how you might be able to make your own HDRI's out of multiple canvasses). They could be used on a background dome if you have another way to provide light. What's possible also depends upon whether you are rendering in 3DL or Iray. 

edited March 2018

A 360 view of The Basement. Click on the brackets in the lower right corner of the 360 view to see full screen. The lighting is what comes with the set. The textures show a well-used, somewhat decrepit basement that can be used as the setting for many action scenes. 

basement.jpg
    1358 x 696 - 139K
  • FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited March 2018

Yikes, don't think I want to visit that basement!

Post edited by FirePro9 on

I know. When I was young, I remember thinking both my grandparent's houses had spooky basements. When I was older, I realized they were just old. Nothing like this of course.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162

My grandmother had one of those basements where you go outside and enter through low to the ground storm cellar type doors. That is where her wringer washing machine was located (old even for those old times). I was terrified of that place and of that machine. 

Same here! The one with the outside storm cellar door also had a lift door in the kitchen pantry - you would raise the floor and have to go down the steps using the lights from the kitchen until you could reach a bare light bulb that turned on with a string, but I was too little to reach it.

edited April 2018

I did a dForce footsteps scene with the Golf Course and decided to render it in spherical mode since it has a full surrounding. I titled it "Confused Golfer" because after rendering in 360, I noticed the golfer was chipping AWAY from the hole (I didn't notice in the dForce scene as it didn't matter with the camera view I had).

See it in 360 here.

Confused golfer screen grab.jpg
    1366 x 707 - 251K
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    RGcincy said:
    NSFW said:

How well do these work as HDRs? Or is this more of a novelty? I'm curious about using something like this to speed up animation time. If I could for example do my story boards, figure out my camera angles and then render the 360 HDRs that I need for an animation using my sets, I could really cut down on render time.

@NSFW I don't think they will work as HDRI's as they don't have the bit depth to store the light info (although I recall a thread or two discussing how you might be able to make your own HDRI's out of multiple canvasses). They could be used on a background dome if you have another way to provide light. What's possible also depends upon whether you are rendering in 3DL or Iray. 

Really, really late on this one, but you should be able to render 360 scenes that work for HDR lighting by rendering to a beauty canvas. That will give you a nice high dynamic range exr file.

• Great tips, thank you everyone!  I'm working on an animation project with th is now; I'll share it when it's done!

Hope you do, thanks for commenting

• Is there not another application available that you can install locally not requiring to upload to view at this time?

Is there not another application available that you can install locally not requiring to upload to view at this time?

I have GoPro VR Player 3.0. It runs on my PC and was free. I don't have a link handy, but you can probably Google it.

• barbult said:

Is there not another application available that you can install locally not requiring to upload to view at this time?

I have GoPro VR Player 3.0. It runs on my PC and was free. I don't have a link handy, but you can probably Google it.

Very nice, thanks for mentioning! Do you know if the settings that were first mentioned in this thread for the camera resolution works well within that player?

barbult said:

Very nice, thanks for mentioning! Do you know if the settings that were first mentioned in this thread for the camera resolution works well within that player?

If you are talking about the 2:1 ratio and spherical distortion, then yes, those are the settings to use for a 360 degree render of your scene. The viewport won't show the whole 360 scene. You will need to render to see it all.

• shaneseymourstudioshaneseymourstudio Posts: 383
    edited December 2019
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

If you are talking about the 2:1 ratio and spherical distortion, then yes, those are the settings to use for a 360 degree render of your scene. The viewport won't show the whole 360 scene. You will need to render to see it all.

Great! Thanks for the info. Works great thanks again!

Post edited by shaneseymourstudio on
  • I recently started rendering panoramas myself (after doing the traditional photographic approach for more than ten years)

This is one of my first results. I even did a stereo version, which is much better than this one, but you have to view it on a VR headset on my blog

The link also works for desktop and mobile browsers. The interactive version is IMHO much better than the flat equirectangular version I attached here!

BlackNWhite_TheHexagon7_Pano4K_Web.jpg
    4000 x 2000 - 1M

Nicely done! Very crisp and clean looking on your blog. What do you display it with on the blog?

• markusmaternmarkusmatern Posts: 522
    edited January 2020
    RGcincy said:

Nicely done! Very crisp and clean looking on your blog. What do you display it with on the blog?

For converting the stereo images I use Pano2Vr from Gardengnome software: https://ggnome.com/pano2vr

The initial resolution of the equirectangular was 6000x3000 pixels. So the stereo panorama has 6000x6000 but separately rendered.

Post edited by markusmatern on