Have a Look Around: 360 Renders

Comments

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    barbult said:

@JamesJAB I feel your pain! I decided I had to go to 8192 by 4096 to get good detail on a full screen 4K display. That takes a long time to render. I didn't let mine go to 100% either.

Maybe before I go to sleep, I'll place all the chairs on the set and hit render at 8192x4096 and see how far it gets overnight.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    barbult said:

FirstBastion's Suburban Shopping Mall 360 image here. (Oops I called it Urban instead of Suburban.) I rendered this one at 8192 by 4096 for 4 hours on a 980ti. This nice model was released before Iray, so I made some surface changes. I also mirrored it with an instance to close the open end. I converted a lot of surfaces to Iray Glass and emissive light surfaces. All that took a toll on rendering time!

Loretta looks lonely. I hope that mall isn't in the US south - with those skylights, the cooling bill would be horrendous. 

JamesJAB said:

Well that was fun, and took 2h30m to render to 50% convergence on my little GTX 1060.  All of the light in the scene is being generated by the set. (and don't mind the repeating screen textures, those are placeholders)
    Here is my Star Trek IV Enterprise bridge without the chairs in place.  I think at 4096x2048 it still looks too low resolution in the viewer, but that may be because I am using my 4K tv as a monitor.

The spherical renders certainly take longer since you need higher resolutions, but it's worth it for a scene like yours. I look forward to seeing it when you add more.

Wow!  I may have bitten off more than my GTX 1060 can chew...  Added in all the chairs for the bridge set and set the resolution 8192x4096 and have gotten 27 iterations in 2 hours.
    Strange thing is that the GPU is not getting up to cruising temperature.  Maybe this resolution + the number of lights is maxing out the memory bandwidth?

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    th3Digit said:

another one of my videos

to view on desktop I use GoPro Player, it also does images.

That is so cool!   I didn't realize it was possible to have a 360 degree view option on a moving video sequence. What a great way to showcase an interior environment.  I'm going to check out the gopro player too.  Thanks for the heads up.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The BBC has just started releasing news footage in 360-degrees. This is a 360 Havoc helicopter overflight of Mosul: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/mosul_from_above_360 (doesn't work in Safari. Chrome is good)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    RGcincy said:
    barbult said:

FirstBastion's Suburban Shopping Mall 360 image here. (Oops I called it Urban instead of Suburban.) I rendered this one at 8192 by 4096 for 4 hours on a 980ti. This nice model was released before Iray, so I made some surface changes. I also mirrored it with an instance to close the open end. I converted a lot of surfaces to Iray Glass and emissive light surfaces. All that took a toll on rendering time!

I hope that mall isn't in the US south - with those skylights, the cooling bill would be horrendous. 

In Canada we get a lot less sun.  3 month of sun,  4 months of rain, 5 months of snow.    We try scrounge every drop of sun we can.  ;-)

I like the higher resolutions you're all producing.  Looks great.  The details are crisper. 

17 hours later....  Here is my Star Trek IV bridge rendered at 8k with chairs in place for your spherical veiwing pleasure.

ST IV Bridge 360 8k small.jpg
    8192 x 4096 - 6M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    JamesJAB said:

17 hours later....  Here is my Star Trek IV bridge rendered at 8k with chairs in place for your spherical veiwing pleasure.

17 hours well spent! I looked at it with the GoPro viewer and it looks very sharp and detailed even full screen on a 4K monitor. You did a great job of positioning the camera to get a good view, too.

I built the set around the world zero, and all the wall sections are modular for easy reconfiguring by spinning on the Y axis.  So all I had to do was zero the camera raise it to about eye level and set the frame width to 35mm and focal length to 50mm with Depth of Field turned off.
    And that 17 hours only got it to about 50% convergence.

edited May 2017

Streets of Asia 2 with Dreamlights light set. I forgot to set the camera to a good view, so it opens to a pretty boring view.

Streets of Asia.JPG
    1331 x 899 - 137K
    Post edited by barbult on

The BBC has just started releasing news footage in 360-degrees. This is a 360 Havoc helicopter overflight of Mosul: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/mosul_from_above_360 (doesn't work in Safari. Chrome is good)

I like the interactive ability to change the viewpoint as you go along.

JamesJAB said:

Engage! Looks good with the chairs added.

barbult said:

Streets of Asia with Dreamlights light set. I forgot to set the camera to a good view, so it opens to a pretty boring view.

That's a very romantic setting. Excellent clarity.

edited May 2017

Streets of Asia 2 with Sun-Sky lighting. I replaced the water plane with a cube with Mec4d green algae water shader. I did some noise reduction, sharpening and tone adjustment in Photoshop.

Streets of Asia 2 Day.JPG
    1318 x 906 - 248K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited May 2017

Made another one for you to play with.  Did this one on my laptop, so it's only 3000x1500.  Still looks pretty good.  The sky is all post work.  This is a single light source render.  The sun is an emissive sphere 300m diameter pumping out 1,000,000,000w at 100% efficency and a temperature of 1100k

LightingTest04.jpg
    3000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by JamesJAB on
  • Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited May 2017

My render came out a bit darker than expected. But now that I see how it works, I can make some adjustments.

https://360.vizor.io/griffin/lenzmen-360

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
    avxp said:

My render came out a bit darker than expected. But now that I see how it works, I can make some adjustments.

https://360.vizor.io/griffin/lenzmen-masterpiece

Very interesting! Even has music. I like that octopus-looking creature.

Thanks.

I redid it and lightened the image. Looks way better.

Your streets of Asia looks incredible. I'm going to experiment with that 2VR host instead.

Will do research on the audio embeds.

Next I gotta figure out how to rig the 360 onto a track and get some movement into the scene.

avxp said:

Thanks.

I redid it and lightened the image. Looks way better.

Excellent work - great looking alien scene!

Here's a link to a forum post with a 360 video made by th3Digit

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Want to do a shout-out to a new user that did Alsace. Leo Chen's post is here. I mentioned this thread.

edited August 2017

Good find Novica!

There's 22 scenes in Leo Chen's album, all very well lighted. Some of them open in Facebook as an unwrapped spherical image - if that happens. they usually convert to a 360 view. If not, at least one has a photo from a Gooogle photo album where they all appear in 360. Well worth taking a look.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

These look really great everyone. I'm hoping to figure out a way to do a 360 stereoscopic view, but so far it seems impossible. This is too bad. I have Octane for DAZ and it's a one-click solution, but Octane is crap when it comes to Iray materials. Still, if it's doable in Octane (also has stereoscopic cubemaps), it's gotta be doable in Iray, right? 

... it's gotta be doable in Iray, right? 

There's probably a way but not one I know about. I wonder if you could make four stereoscopic spherical renders (moving the camera 90 degrees between each), then stitching the 4 together. Would give a stereo view in 4 directions instead of 1, but not sure what would happen in the overlap regions.  If you do figure it out, please share it here (for other readers, there's a related discussion in Commons on the same topic).  

edited August 2017

A new 360 using Iray HDRI Storms Lightning and Desert.   Click here for 360 render. 

storms hdri spherical.jpg
    4048 x 2024 - 1M
  • FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited October 2017
    RGcincy said:

... it's gotta be doable in Iray, right? 

There's probably a way but not one I know about. I wonder if you could make four stereoscopic spherical renders (moving the camera 90 degrees between each), then stitching the 4 together. Would give a stereo view in 4 directions instead of 1, but not sure what would happen in the overlap regions.  If you do figure it out, please share it here (for other readers, there's a related discussion in Commons on the same topic).  

I was thinking along the same lines.  Many of the 360 video cameras use two semi-spherical lens, one facing front and one facing back.  Stitching two semi-spherical stereo images together may not help the side views but might fix the the focus flipping when looking behind you.

Post edited by FirePro9 on
  • To the OP, thank you for sharing.  Your second image makes me want to try and peek around the corner.

Now to take a look at what everyone else has posted.  This looks interesting.

To the OP, thank you for sharing.  Your second image makes me want to try and peek around the corner.

Now to take a look at what everyone else has posted.  This looks interesting.

If you make any 360 renders, feel free to post them. I need to work on a few new ones myself.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Found this interesting filter on Filter Forge that converts spherical panoramas to cubemaps/skyboxes, usefull as some apps perfer skyboxes.

Panorama To Cubemap  ==> https://filterforge.com/filters/14341.html 

• hyteckithyteckit Posts: 167
    edited December 2017
    FinalCut Pro just got updated to support 360 degree VR. I tried rendering in Spherical Lens Distortion and added the image to Finalcut Pro and it looked great. You can even connect VR googles like VIVE or Oculus Rift and view the image in 360 degree VR.
    Post edited by hyteckit on
    edited January 2018

posted in wrong thread