DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

Decimator for DAZ Studio I see that it cost $100.95..

Has it ever been free at some time?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

vintorix said:

No

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    vintorix said:

No

But it was included with the paid for version of DAZ Studio 4 Pro, which is why the serial number format had to change for the free version (so that those of us who purchased DS4Pro can still use Decimator with our original serial numbers).

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,299
    edited December 1969

My second question doesn't really belong here, but it does tag into my former question in a sense. When looking at the pdf file and so on for the Shader Base, there is a picture of dragons in different shades. Where can I actually buy those shades and where can I buy actual skin tones to go with Subsurface Shader Base, since the package with Toon shaders seems to be more directed to those that do manga/cartoon.?...

Of course, I am the first one to admit that I might totally have missed something, but than again.. that is why I am asking as that's the only way to find out *smiles*

/C

If you look in the surfaces tab the shader has a category SSS Material Type if you click on the little arrow you will get a drop down box the choices of chicken etc are there I haven't had a chance to play with this yet.

I would also like some presets for realistic skin.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

I'm curious about a few things when it comes to the Subsurface Shader Base, to begin with.. when I look on my product lirbary and on the Subsurface Shader Base product, there is 16324_SubsurfaceShaderBase_1.0_trx.exe on 6.66 MB and 16324_SubsurfaceShaderBase_1.0_trx.zip on 15.40 MB, I did download the .exe file earlier. But now I see there is a Subsurface Shader Base on 907.44 KB which apparently is downloadable through DIM.. though it doens't show up in my DIM at all.

So my first question is actually if the DIM Shader base is the same as the .exe file I already downloaded and installed, or if it is something else, considering the different in size of the files.?

The extra size of the installers is down to the installer code - small things like pose sets and shaders are more installer than anything else, so you really see the difference, while products with lots of textures are much closer in size proportionately.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

The Servers should be back to normal with no more interruptions. Download speeds are likely to be a bit slower than normal due to traffic.

• vintorixvintorix Posts: 220
    edited December 1969

"But it (the Decimator) was included with the paid for version of DAZ Studio 4 Pro"

Hmm that's interesting. I wonder
    are there more plugins that like that? (included before in the paid version but is not part of the current free version)

?

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited May 2013

My second question doesn't really belong here, but it does tag into my former question in a sense. When looking at the pdf file and so on for the Shader Base, there is a picture of dragons in different shades. Where can I actually buy those shades and where can I buy actual skin tones to go with Subsurface Shader Base, since the package with Toon shaders seems to be more directed to those that do manga/cartoon.?...

Of course, I am the first one to admit that I might totally have missed something, but than again.. that is why I am asking as that's the only way to find out *smiles*

/C

If you look in the surfaces tab the shader has a category SSS Material Type if you click on the little arrow you will get a drop down box the choices of chicken etc are there I haven't had a chance to play with this yet.

I would also like some presets for realistic skin.

Thanks Scorpio, I had missed that one *blush* Now I just need to learn to use that one *goes to read the pdf again*

The extra size of the installers is down to the installer code - small things like pose sets and shaders are more installer than anything else, so you really see the difference, while products with lots of textures are much closer in size proportionately.

And thanks Richard, that explains that part. Must admit it had me a tad confused :)

Post edited by Carola O on
    edited December 1969

vintorix said:
    "But it (the Decimator) was included with the paid for version of DAZ Studio 4 Pro"

Hmm that's interesting. I wonder
    are there more plugins that like that? (included before in the paid version but is not part of the current free version)

?

No, that is the only difference.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    It seems I downloaded the updated Starter Essentials a day or so ago. So my question is:

Is there a way to drop these into the DIM's install folder and have it install them for me? A way to add them to the "downloaded" list so it's not constantly telling me they are waiting for download?

I guess the servers are full up so getting even small updates (like the newest DIM update this AM... locked up my system actually, not cool) so I downloaded it from the Products Library and installed it myself.

I was hoping this new set up here was going to be better for server lockups but I guess not.

If you manually download the dim version from the store Product Library and put it in the download folder for DIM then start up DIM, it should list it as Ready To Install. Click install and you should be setup.

Thanks so much! :-)

• galattgalatt Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

Looks good so far but wow, this is a serious resource hog. I'd say you should double the specified amount of RAM for smooth operation.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited May 2013

RAMWolff said:
    It seems I downloaded the updated Starter Essentials a day or so ago. So my question is:

Is there a way to drop these into the DIM's install folder and have it install them for me? A way to add them to the "downloaded" list so it's not constantly telling me they are waiting for download?

I guess the servers are full up so getting even small updates (like the newest DIM update this AM... locked up my system actually, not cool) so I downloaded it from the Products Library and installed it myself.

I was hoping this new set up here was going to be better for server lockups but I guess not.

If you manually download the dim version from the store Product Library and put it in the download folder for DIM then start up DIM, it should list it as Ready To Install. Click install and you should be setup.

Well that didn't work. Must have had an update so the DIM is telling me it needs to be downloaded again but with the servers overloaded just downloading small packages is taking as long as downloading a package that's 100's of Mb's in size. No fun! :-S

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Ledhead said:
    I categorized everything I have installed in the latest 4.5 Release. I did not physically move any product files in Windows, I just organized them to my liking inside of the D/S program so the content no longer shows up in the default category. Is there anything that I need to do to be able to keep my organized content? Will all of that content once again show up in the default folder? Am I going to have to reorganize everything again?

Looking through this mess of info on this thread is quite confusing. It would have been nice if there was a step by step procedure of how to do the upgrade and a list of do's, don'ts and what to expect. I am new to Studio and a lot of the things talked about are quite confusing to the point I am afraid to upgrade because I may not do something correctly. Before this was released all things pertinent and people's level of expertise needed to be taken into consideration.

Edited to add: I purposely do not want the content showing up in the default location. I did not want that to be confused that I am wondering what happened to the default category.

This is buried on the 5th page of the thread and as far as I can see, no answer yet. Can someone please address how we can make sure we don't lose the categories. I ended up re-categorizing all my content during the last upgrade and would dearly love to avoid having to do that again.

I am unaware of any way you will lose categories or data if you simply download the Installers and run them letting the Installer uninstall and re-install DS and CMS to the same locations.

If you are concerned you can export your user data before upgrading just to be safe. But, the install process should not hurt your meta-data.

I thought about that (and actually did export the user data just in case) but am always afraid that when the installer uninstalls the old CMS version and then reinstalls the new, the database with the old user data is somehow replaced. Apparently, that is not the case?

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

This is disturbing. The DS4.6 installer didn't ask me about where to install the new CMS, and now it's not running and I can't find where (or if) it did install. The old CMS has not been un-installed either, though it is clearly not running.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:

I thought about that (and actually did export the user data just in case) but am always afraid that when the installer uninstalls the old CMS version and then reinstalls the new, the database with the old user data is somehow replaced. Apparently, that is not the case?
    Correct, though you are updating to a newer version of the database client with this build, which fixes some issues, especially on the Mac with this version.
    edited December 1969

This is disturbing. The DS4.6 installer didn't ask me about where to install the new CMS, and now it's not running and I can't find where (or if) it did install. The old CMS has not been un-installed either, though it is clearly not running.
    CMS only installs if it is a newer version of the server. This one is not a newer version of the Server from the last two release versions. CMS now installs to the same place you previously had it, to avoid issues, like those mentioned earlier in the thread. You can no longer accidentally move it and break things. (Though you can intentionally move it and break things, if you are not really careful. :) )
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Can anybody remind me what is DS Default Content that comes along with base DS installer?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Do you mean it didn't ask where to install the CMS application, or the CMS database?
    If database: During installation of DAZ Studio, when prompted, make sure you check "Customize DAZ Content Management Service Installation" so it asks you where to install the database.
    edited December 1969

Can I still opt out of installing CMS?

edited December 1969

CMS only installs if it is a newer version of the server. This one is not a newer version of the Server from the last two release versions. CMS now installs to the same place you previously had it, to avoid issues, like those mentioned earlier in the thread. You can no longer accidentally move it and break things. (Though you can intentionally move it and break things, if you are not really careful. :) )

Okay, that explains why there isn't a new one. but not why it's not working (again.) But assuming that's the same issue I've been having with the CMS (where it breaks if there is too much data added at once. I'm pretty sure that's been reported somewhere), I have a work around for that.

edited December 1969

Do you mean it didn't ask where to install the CMS application, or the CMS database?
    If database: During installation of DAZ Studio, when prompted, make sure you check "Customize DAZ Content Management Service Installation" so it asks you where to install the database.That check box no longer exists if you already have CMS installed.
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    CMS (that is, Smart Content) hasn't been working for me since DIM came out, essentially. I've learned to work with the Content Library.

I haven't filed a bug because I've figured it's because of the complex setup I have, where the content is synchronized between two systems, but the CMS database isn't, so only whichever machine does the DIM install is the one that gets the metadata, and eventually CMS gives up, or something.

I always get:

/*************************************************************************************/
    Thu May 16 2013 12:22:32.303533 DAZ Content Management Service (4.8.1, Kernel 4.8.1 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

Thu May 16 2013 12:22:32.391550 (TID 140735334242656): ERROR 0xFFFFFFD9: Cannot open 'master' database
    Thu May 16 2013 12:22:32.403978 (TID 140735334242656): Server terminated

When I nuke the databases, and re-imported all my metadata, it worked for about a day, until something (either the next time I installed content, or until the next time I restarted DAZ Studio, I don't know). I didn't figure this version would fix that.

-- Morgan

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Everything installed fine for me, except autofit has the second drop box greyed out now, where it asks

what type of item is it

Is this a change to autofit or has mine gone a bit wonky?

I do like the new yellow on black icon...catchy. :coolsmile:
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Can anybody remind me what is DS Default Content that comes along with base DS installer?

Just utility scripts.

• Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

with the update of 3Delight does this mean our old shaders will need to wait for an update ?

could someone confirm if pwSurface 2 is working, please?

edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Just utility scripts.
    Can it be in another folder than main DS installation folder? Along with content, for example, on external drive?

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

So I just installed DAZ 4.6 but I am having a problem with the Starter Essentials. Everytime I try to install it fails. I tried uninstalling the previous version but the only option through DIM is Stater Essentials Update.

Any advice?

edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    So I just installed DAZ 4.6 but I am having a problem with the Starter Essentials. Everytime I try to install it fails. I tried uninstalling the previous version but the only option through DIM is Stater Essentials Update.

Any advice?

I wound up downloading it from my Product Library tab under My Account.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kattey said:

Just utility scripts.

Can it be in another folder than main DS installation folder? Along with content, for example, on external drive?

Yes, that's where I put it.

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kattey said:

Just utility scripts.

Yes, that's where I put it.
    Thank you!