DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.0.18 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• SisterofDarknessSisterofDarkness Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

Can someone kick the server in the backside. Up until now 5 tries to download the Genesis Starter Essentials and it keeps stopping.
    The furthest i got was about 380MB :grrr:

And now the Install Manager can't download its own update either :ahhh:

I want to cry :down:

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Martial said:
    I have downloaded it.Can i just install it on the last version folder ?Sometime it automatically uninstal older one before install new one

Maybe a simple and clear step by step guide for updating would be a good thing from DAZ

Each time i am facing to some problems when i upgrade: sometime the old saved files don't load , some time one plugin stop working, some duplicated files message,etc

Each time i see some users asking the same things for example about plugins (upgrading or not, which need to update which don't need)

Simple, step by step from any version of DS 4.
    Download it.
    Run the Installer, don't change anything and you can simply pick up where you left off.
    edited December 1969

Can someone kick the server in the backside. Up until now 5 tries to download the Genesis Starter Essentials and it keeps stopping.

Working on it. Sorry about that. :)
  • SisterofDarknessSisterofDarkness Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

Working on it. Sorry about that. :)

Thank you :)

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    jimzombie said:
    CMS is running, but I had previously uninstalled it (along with 4.5), so what is running should be current. Shouldn't that be all good?
    Only if you installed it to the exact same place.

Sorry, too vauge. CMS and studio are both installed into c:\dazprograms\daz pro

"Entry Point Not Found" etc.

Please try this.
    Stop CMS
    Uninstall CMS
    In the directory where CMS was installed delete everything.
    Reinstall DS.
    Note that will remove custom data you created, and it is a bit drastic, so I don't recommend doing it lightly. If that doesn't work, please open a support ticket.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    jimzombie said:
    CMS is running, but I had previously uninstalled it (along with 4.5), so what is running should be current. Shouldn't that be all good?

Did this get lost under all the other posts or should I give up on the forum and lodge a bug report? Is the previous version still available? I might downgrade. I should know better than to play gunipig by now.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    How do I know where it was previously installed to?

I'm sure there's a much easier way, however here is one way:

During the DS install, when prompted, check "Customize DAZ Content Management Service Installation", then in the Content Management Service's Install Directories window (not to be confused with the first DAZ Studio installer's Directories window), look at the "Database location:" field. This is where it wants to install by default. If you changed this value last time you installed, you'll need to specify that same changed value this time too.

edited December 1969

For those people having issues downloading, we apologize. Traffic is far exceeding our expectations. Thanks.

This is in the top 2 days for people downloading in recent years. Our web team is working on clearing some of the roadblocks and should have a solution in place within the next hour.

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    jimzombie said:
    jimzombie said:

Did this get lost under all the other posts or should I give up on the forum and lodge a bug report? Is the previous version still available? I might downgrade. I should know better than to play gunipig by now.My reply is above that post. Sorry I was looking for a solution that was a little less drastic.

• EamonEamon Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

Not knowing what your exact crash issues are, or what your hardware is, I can't say for sure that it will be more stable. However one of the major changes we made was to make things significantly more stable on the MAC with the Valentina Upgrade.

If your hardware is about the same as Barton's it should be significantly more stable, in general. If you have at least a Core2Duo then switching to 64 bit will also make you much more stable.

Yes just installing DS 4.6 should do all the work for you.

I am on iMac 2.66ghz IntelCoreDuo 2 duo OS 10.5.

I will take this advise and will keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you very much.

edited May 2013

jimzombie said:
    How do I know where it was previously installed to?

I'm sure there's a much easier way, however here is one way:

During the DS install, when prompted, check "Customize DAZ Content Management Service Installation", then in the Content Management Service's Install Directories window (not to be confused with the first DAZ Studio installer's Directories window), look at the "Database location:" field. This is where it wants to install by default. If you changed this value last time you installed, you'll need to specify that same changed value this time too.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I don't understand why we can't install the CMS to where we choose though.

Edit: Thanks Spooky. I'll try that too if I don't get any joy with the other solution.

Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    edited December 1969

Eamon said:
    Not knowing what your exact crash issues are, or what your hardware is, I can't say for sure that it will be more stable. However one of the major changes we made was to make things significantly more stable on the MAC with the Valentina Upgrade.

If your hardware is about the same as Barton's it should be significantly more stable, in general. If you have at least a Core2Duo then switching to 64 bit will also make you much more stable.

Yes just installing DS 4.6 should do all the work for you.

I am on iMac 2.66ghz IntelCoreDuo 2 duo OS 10.5.

I will take this advise and will keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you very much.Is it a coreduo or a core2duo. The first is 32 bit only, the second is a 64 bit processor. They will both work, the second will work much better. :)

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I don't understand why we can't install the CMS to where we choose though.

You can, but moving database locations and pointers is not to be undertaken lightly, and needs to be done correctly from the start.
    edited December 1969

jimzombie said:

You can, but moving database locations and pointers is not to be undertaken lightly, and needs to be done correctly from the start.

I thought the database still defaulted to somewhere into one of those etherial directory mazes in users/app data or some such. I thought the CMS was just the app. Is it really so easy to destroy a Studio install? So to fix this I have to delete my entire runtime? As far as I know everything is being installed straight to where it was last time.

• iruchemairuchema Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

iruchema said:
    iruchema said:
    iruchema said:
    Hi!
    I downloaded from the page that comes with the email message DAZ sent me. All i get is an EMAIL back with an order confirmation and a serial number... really i dont know what to do with that.
    Sorry for asking such a dumb question, can anyone tell me what should i do to upgrade (from 4.5) and what more should i download? (like genesis starters, or any other thing).
    Thank you!!

Please, someone help? I dont know even how to download, less install it....

Log into the store, go to your account page, and choose "Product Library." It is on the list there for you.

Thanks :) I see there lots of products, but mainly i see 2 named "inactive": DZ Studio 4.6 and DAZ studio 4.6 Advanced. And there is also a "Daz Studio 4.6 Pro". An other things: GOZ, CCT, Genesis starter.... What should i click?If you are using Install Manager you should just be able to just download DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro and let Install Manager do the rest.

Otherwise you will want DS 4.6 Pro, any plug-ins that you need, Genesis Starter Essentials, and the new Shader.
    Okey, then i can download the install manager first , i guess, but the only version there is 32bit? There is no 64bit?

edited December 1969

jimzombie said:
    jimzombie said:

I thought the database still defaulted to somewhere into one of those etherial directory mazes in users/app data or some such. I thought the CMS was just the app. Is it really so easy to destroy a Studio install? So to fix this I have to delete my entire runtime? As far as I know everything is being installed straight to where it was last time. I did not say runtime. Do not delete your runtimes.

I said the CMS folder contents.

edited May 2013

iruchema said:

Okey, then i can download the install manager first , i guess, but the only version there is 32bit? There is no 64bit?
    32 bit only, which runs just fine on 64 bit. The memory requirements are not enough to need a 64 bit version.

Edited to add, the plug-ins are not quite live yet in Install Manager. They should be a little later Today.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Hah, I can't even download the PDFs at the moment.

Guess I'll wait a bit for the initial download "rush" to clear. I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Oh is that what's going on? i didn't even think that could be the problem. I guess I'll wait as well then!

Log out, go to your cart and delete the product. Log on and re add it. Most cart systems I've used on line will remember what you added unlogged and add it automatically when you do log on but apparently this one is not that smart.

edited May 2013

I said the CMS folder contents.

Hah phew. Here I was contemplating the delete key like it was a six shooter with a single live round.;) For some reason I had "ContentManagementServer" in the root DAZ Studio directory (which is also home to my runtime). Of course I could have simply moved it out of there before the shooting started. It is far too late to be screwing around with this stuff.

It is a little pain to delete the all the additional data, but it looks like the only thing that will work at this stage.

• azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    Basic questions that need answered for me please. What are the default and suggested directory paths for content installation of this DazStudio 4.6.0.18 update and the new DIM *.59 update??

They won't change, the settings aren't wiped.

Thank you for answering Richard. Let me tell you why I asked. Yesterday the DIM updated automatically once again to version *.59. This was after it uninstalled 2530 content items and then reinstalled them. It tied up my computer for 6 hours but everything worked ok. But today (after the last DIM update), DazStudio isn't finding some content (V5, M5, etc) via the Smart Content pane. Also today I see a new DazStudio release available. I go to install it and it wants to install the content to *\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My Library. The DIM is installing by default to Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library. Shouldn't they both be installing to the same directory????? I cancelled the DazStudio installation until this is crystal clear to me.

edited May 2013

Done! Fixed. Seems I was trying to install the CMS to somewhere it didn't want to go (when I thought it was where it had been). Thanks Spooky. Am very much looking forward to testing out the new features.

edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:
    Basic questions that need answered for me please. What are the default and suggested directory paths for content installation of this DazStudio 4.6.0.18 update and the new DIM *.59 update??

Thank you for answering Richard. Let me tell you why I asked. Yesterday the DIM updated automatically once again to version *.59. This was after it uninstalled 2530 content items and then reinstalled them. It tied up my computer for 6 hours but everything worked ok. But today (after the last DIM update), DazStudio isn't finding some content (V5, M5, etc) via the Smart Content pane. Also today I see a new DazStudio release available. I go to install it and it wants to install the content to *\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My Library. The DIM is installing by default to Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library. Shouldn't they both be installing to the same directory????? I cancelled the DazStudio installation until this is crystal clear to me. It can work either way, as long as all content directories are mapped in DS.

It will work if you have the DAZ Studio Installer drop content to the same directory Install Manager installs content to, however note that Install Manager doesn't know what is and isn't there if Install manager didn't install it.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    I categorized everything I have installed in the latest 4.5 Release. I did not physically move any product files in Windows, I just organized them to my liking inside of the D/S program so the content no longer shows up in the default category. Is there anything that I need to do to be able to keep my organized content? Will all of that content once again show up in the default folder? Am I going to have to reorganize everything again?

Looking through this mess of info on this thread is quite confusing. It would have been nice if there was a step by step procedure of how to do the upgrade and a list of do's, don'ts and what to expect. I am new to Studio and a lot of the things talked about are quite confusing to the point I am afraid to upgrade because I may not do something correctly. Before this was released all things pertinent and people's level of expertise needed to be taken into consideration.

Edited to add: I purposely do not want the content showing up in the default location. I did not want that to be confused that I am wondering what happened to the default category.

This is buried on the 5th page of the thread and as far as I can see, no answer yet. Can someone please address how we can make sure we don't lose the categories. I ended up re-categorizing all my content during the last upgrade and would dearly love to avoid having to do that again.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Ledhead said:
    I categorized everything I have installed in the latest 4.5 Release. I did not physically move any product files in Windows, I just organized them to my liking inside of the D/S program so the content no longer shows up in the default category. Is there anything that I need to do to be able to keep my organized content? Will all of that content once again show up in the default folder? Am I going to have to reorganize everything again?

Looking through this mess of info on this thread is quite confusing. It would have been nice if there was a step by step procedure of how to do the upgrade and a list of do's, don'ts and what to expect. I am new to Studio and a lot of the things talked about are quite confusing to the point I am afraid to upgrade because I may not do something correctly. Before this was released all things pertinent and people's level of expertise needed to be taken into consideration.

Edited to add: I purposely do not want the content showing up in the default location. I did not want that to be confused that I am wondering what happened to the default category.

This is buried on the 5th page of the thread and as far as I can see, no answer yet. Can someone please address how we can make sure we don't lose the categories. I ended up re-categorizing all my content during the last upgrade and would dearly love to avoid having to do that again. I am unaware of any way you will lose categories or data if you simply download the Installers and run them letting the Installer uninstall and re-install DS and CMS to the same locations.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Wow, DAZ_Spooky - thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited May 2013

Mari-Anne said:
    Ledhead said:

This is buried on the 5th page of the thread and as far as I can see, no answer yet. Can someone please address how we can make sure we don't lose the categories. I ended up re-categorizing all my content during the last upgrade and would dearly love to avoid having to do that again.

I am unaware of any way you will lose categories or data if you simply download the Installers and run them letting the Installer uninstall and re-install DS and CMS to the same locations.

If you are concerned you can export your user data before upgrading just to be safe. But, the install process should not hurt your meta-data.

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
  • azoohouseazoohouse Posts: 660
    edited December 1969

azoohouse said:
    azoohouse said:

Thank you for answering Richard. Let me tell you why I asked. Yesterday the DIM updated automatically once again to version *.59. This was after it uninstalled 2530 content items and then reinstalled them. It tied up my computer for 6 hours but everything worked ok. But today (after the last DIM update), DazStudio isn't finding some content (V5, M5, etc) via the Smart Content pane. Also today I see a new DazStudio release available. I go to install it and it wants to install the content to *\Documents\Daz 3D\Studio\My Library. The DIM is installing by default to Users/Public/Documents/My Daz 3D Library. Shouldn't they both be installing to the same directory????? I cancelled the DazStudio installation until this is crystal clear to me. It can work either way, as long as all content directories are mapped in DS.

It will work if you have the DAZ Studio Installer drop content to the same directory Install Manager installs content to, however note that Install Manager doesn't know what is and isn't there if Install manager didn't install it.

Again, thank you very much Richard for taking the time to confirm those directories and clarifying things! :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

It seems I downloaded the updated Starter Essentials a day or so ago. So my question is:

Is there a way to drop these into the DIM's install folder and have it install them for me? A way to add them to the "downloaded" list so it's not constantly telling me they are waiting for download?

I guess the servers are full up so getting even small updates (like the newest DIM update this AM... locked up my system actually, not cool) so I downloaded it from the Products Library and installed it myself.

I was hoping this new set up here was going to be better for server lockups but I guess not.

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    It seems I downloaded the updated Starter Essentials a day or so ago. So my question is:

Is there a way to drop these into the DIM's install folder and have it install them for me? A way to add them to the "downloaded" list so it's not constantly telling me they are waiting for download?

I guess the servers are full up so getting even small updates (like the newest DIM update this AM... locked up my system actually, not cool) so I downloaded it from the Products Library and installed it myself.

I was hoping this new set up here was going to be better for server lockups but I guess not.

If you manually download the dim version from the store Product Library and put it in the download folder for DIM then start up DIM, it should list it as Ready To Install. Click install and you should be setup.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818
    edited December 1969

I'm curious about a few things when it comes to the Subsurface Shader Base, to begin with.. when I look on my product lirbary and on the Subsurface Shader Base product, there is 16324_SubsurfaceShaderBase_1.0_trx.exe on 6.66 MB and 16324_SubsurfaceShaderBase_1.0_trx.zip on 15.40 MB, I did download the .exe file earlier. But now I see there is a Subsurface Shader Base on 907.44 KB which apparently is downloadable through DIM.. though it doens't show up in my DIM at all.

So my first question is actually if the DIM Shader base is the same as the .exe file I already downloaded and installed, or if it is something else, considering the different in size of the files.?

My second question doesn't really belong here, but it does tag into my former question in a sense. When looking at the pdf file and so on for the Shader Base, there is a picture of dragons in different shades. Where can I actually buy those shades and where can I buy actual skin tones to go with Subsurface Shader Base, since the package with Toon shaders seems to be more directed to those that do manga/cartoon.?

I hope to be able to find a package of shader preset that I can use for that Subsurface Shader Base since I find that shader quite interesting. Though the things I am mostly interested in doesn't seem to be available which makes me a bit confused tbh (natural/realistic looking skins as well as those different colors/shaders that were shown on the eastern dragons in the pdf document)

Of course, I am the first one to admit that I might totally have missed something, but than again.. that is why I am asking as that's the only way to find out *smiles*

/C