Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885

This is a line render (my thing) plus a shading render run through Fotosketcher (nothing fancier than 'make everything flat white')

I find that a good line render (whether 3dl or my thing or whatever), slightly blurred and applied lightly, can really enhance the detail that other purely filtering methods have trouble with.

This was mostly a test to see how well I could get the lining to work on a lot of flat surfaces edge on to the camera, which is where many systems fall down.

Tavern.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 939K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

nice, looks like a photonpass out of carrara

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,739

Thanks, head wax.

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152
    edited January 2018

Ok, one last picture. It's a page from a comic I'm currently working on. Be kind. It's a WIP.

Post edited by magicjava on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

yeslaugh

magicjava said:

OK, I put together a little demo of how to use the line shader.

Step 1. Download and Install Shader

It's in the "Freebies" section of the post at this link.

Step 2. Load an Empty Scene and a New Figure. Select the Figure.

https://i.imgur.com/4g1ru93.gifv

Step 3. Create a Geometery Shell for the Figure

https://i.imgur.com/pNFqUVy.gifv

Step 4.  Select Geometery Shell Surfaces and Apply the Geometery Shell Outline Shader

https://i.imgur.com/uGubyZC.gifv

Step 5. Render in 3Delight

https://i.imgur.com/h6Y2MPM.gifv

I assume this works on any model, not just ones using VSS or MSS right?

magicjava said:

tkdrobert said:

OK, This one was hard and I'm still not satisfied.  I feel like I should've done a more dynamic pose.   I painted the background using a 3D hawk as a guide.

Phoenix: Jean Grey by tkdrobert

Looks great! Congratulations! 

Thanks for the feadback.  Although, I might try it again with a different pose for Jean.  The background is on seperate layers, so I won't have to do that part again.

• magicjavamagicjava Posts: 152
    edited January 2018

Those steps should work for any model at all, even something like a sphere.

Edit: The full rundown:

So we have Visual Style Shaders (VSS), Manga Style Shaders (MSS), and Geometry Shell Outline (GSO) shader.

The GSO shader is just a newer (and free) version of Nathan's MSS. They both handle rendering the outlines. The little demo I did shows the steps for using the GSO shader. I'd say don't worry about the MSS anymore. It's just an older version of the GSO shader.

The VSS are Nathan's tools for giving models a cartoon-like appearance. Basically, every color you see in my avitar that's not an outline, eyes, word bubble, or background is from VSS. The skin, the lips, the hair, the glasses, and the shirt are all done using Nathan's VSS shaders. The VSS shaders are used on the model itself, not on the geometery shell. 

So when you combine the GSO with the VSS, you get an outlined render that has cartoon-like surfaces.

Post edited by magicjava on
    edited January 2018
    magicjava said:

Those steps should work for any model at all, even something like a sphere.

Edit: The full rundown:

So we have Visual Style Shaders (VSS), Manga Style Shaders (MSS), and Geometry Shell Outline (GSO) shader.

The GSO shader is just a newer (and free) version of Nathan's MSS. They both handle rendering the outlines. The little demo I did shows the steps for using the GSO shader. I'd say don't worry about the MSS anymore. It's just an older version of the GSO shader.

The VSS are Nathan's tools for giving models a cartoon-like appearance. Basically, every color you see in my avitar that's not an outline, eyes, word bubble, or background is from VSS. The VSS shaders are used on the model itself, not on the geometery shell. 

Roger, that's what I thought.  I'm going to try using the GSO on Jean Gray (using your default instructions.  I might have screwed up the settings last time), which uses another Anime skin.  I modified the body suit textures in Photoshop to give it a comic book look.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    tkdrobert said:

@tkdrobert @magicjava Just so ya'll know, there is a better version of the Geometry Shell Outline shader available for free in the official Visual Style/Manga Style topic (first post).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/manga-style-visual-style-topic-update-sept-23rd-2017-fixed-dropbox-links-commercial/p1

Of course, it's the product I don't have.

Don't worry! Like I said, the Geometry Shell Outline is free now and has been for a while! :D

Free? When I checked it cost $20.00

https://www.daz3d.com/manga-style-shaders

Am I missing something?????

kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:

@tkdrobert @magicjava Just so ya'll know, there is a better version of the Geometry Shell Outline shader available for free in the official Visual Style/Manga Style topic (first post).

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10961/manga-style-visual-style-topic-update-sept-23rd-2017-fixed-dropbox-links-commercial/p1

Don't worry! Like I said, the Geometry Shell Outline is free now and has been for a while! :D

Pretty sure the GSO is only 1 part of what the MSS do.

tkdrobert said:
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:

Not sure what yoour reply is saying... I must be confused about all of this...

Just commented on your Ms Marvel on Renderosity... I must admit it's an incredible image...abd it displays much better on Renderosity then here... Are the images degraded here somewhat? Or did you upload a higher resolution....

Cheers

Ken

edited January 2018
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:

Just commented on your Ms Marvel on Renderosity... I must admit it's an incredible image...abd it displays much better on Renderosity then here... Are the images degraded here somewhat? Or did you upload a higher resolution....

Cheers

Ken

I've noticed that too.  The copies I display in the forum are usually PNG.  The copies on Rendo are all JPG.  I thought PNG was higher quality than JPG.

Edit: Maybe Nathan can explain it better.  The GSO gives objects an outline.  Manga Style Shaders does other things like givin a render that Pop Art look.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,885

Still working working.

I'm a little nervous, because at this point the tools do require people to make potentially a few different renders and then composite them to their liking. And I'm not sure people will tolerate something that's not a one click thing.

Color, shading, outlines. Potentially fewer if you just want lineart or shaded toon art or similar.

I mean, when I've worked with 3DL or other products, it's generally required a lot of work TOO, but people tend to gloss over the work involved with 'I can just have a toon output from X program!'

Avogadros tank2.jpg
    1404 x 1080 - 902K

A lot of people want an easy button.  It's the same way in my work.  No one tool does the job perfectly, so I have to use many tools.  New people leave my field, because there is no easy button.  TV/movies are a big part of the problem.

tkdrobert said:
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:

Cheers

Ken

I've noticed that too.  The copies I display in the forum are usually PNG.  The copies on Rendo are all JPG.  I thought PNG was higher quality than JPG.

Edit: Maybe Nathan can explain it better.  The GSO gives objects an outline.  Manga Style Shaders does other things like givin a render that Pop Art look.

Ok...thanks...so where is the link to the free GSO?

Cheers

Ken

Oso3D said:

Still working working.

I'm a little nervous, because at this point the tools do require people to make potentially a few different renders and then composite them to their liking. And I'm not sure people will tolerate something that's not a one click thing.

Color, shading, outlines. Potentially fewer if you just want lineart or shaded toon art or similar.

I mean, when I've worked with 3DL or other products, it's generally required a lot of work TOO, but people tend to gloss over the work involved with 'I can just have a toon output from X program!'

Cool image...

kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:
    kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:

Cheers

Ken

Ok...thanks...so where is the link to the free GSO?

Cheers

Ken

The link on the original post, on page 1, under Freebies.

• Just to try and avoid confusion:

Manga Style is a pack of shaders that aims to recreate the look of classic black and white manga. The standard shaders use the traditional edge_blend/fresnel method of generating toon outlines. The problem with this method is that the width of the line changes depending on how curved the surface is, and it doesn't work well on surfaces with hard edges (such as a sword, or a cube).

Manga Style also came with a bonus Geometry Shell Outline (GSO) shader, which is based off the videogame method of using an inverted duplicate of the mesh to render an outline. The amazing @GiGi_7 found out how to get the effect working in Daz Studio and kindly shared their knowledge with me, allowing me to include the shader in Manga Style as a little bonus in the hopes of making rendering clean outlines easier.

After the release of Manga Style however, I realised the GSO could do with some additional improvements. On top of that, I realised that the GSO works well with pretty much every toon shader out there (Manga Style, Visual Style, pwToon, daz toon, etc) and even characters using normal shaders like UberSurface, so I decided to release the updated version for free. The free version of the GSO shader is the most up-to-date version.

Anyways, I hope that clears up any confusion. :)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,309

I'm glad you shared it. Shades of Roger Dean!

What shaders did you use to achieve this. Is this Iray right out of the box or with any post-processing. It almost looks solarized.

scorpio said:

​Someone sugusted I posted this here.

Iray render.

Thank you for the compliments.

Sorry its taken so long to answer your question

Its pretty much an Iray render there is post work but not that much, the background/sky is post worked the most.

The water is a wine shader preset from Mec4D with some surface settings altered the stones are using a shader from the Gems and Minerals For Rock Collection set.

The rest just uses Iray Uber with translucency set to high and the diffuse mat in the diffuse overlay slot which is set to about 50 for most things.

The girl has the emissive turned white and a low luminance setting, she was coming out to dark without it. 
    lighting was an HDRI set quite high and 1 ghost light on the girl.

This is the raw png render

bold pink.png
    1800 x 750 - 633K

@TheNathanParable, @magicjava, I was able to get the Geometry Shell Outline (GSO) shader to work last night.  I have an idea what I did wrong before, but I'm not 100% sure.  Anyway, I'm not finished with the render yet, so I can't show it.  Thanks for your help.  The tool will save me a lot of time in post work.

• SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    edited January 2018

Hey folks, Happy (belated) New Year!

Got some things to share, 3 main characters for my comic (which is currently in editing process).

Character Concept art.jpg
    2100 x 3150 - 701K
    Omar Harith Concept art.jpg
    2100 x 3150 - 900K
    yusra Concept art.jpg
    2100 x 3150 - 747K
    Post edited by Sammagi on
  • SammagiSammagi Posts: 137
    tkdrobert said:

OK, This one was hard and I'm still not satisfied.  I feel like I should've done a more dynamic pose.   I painted the background using a 3D hawk as a guide.

Phoenix: Jean Grey by tkdrobert

Wow! I love this!

edited January 2018

Another attempt at Jean Grey

Phoenix Force

Phoenix Force.png
    640 x 800 - 687K

I'm brushing up on composition and color theory, so hopefully, my artwork will get better,  Man I've forgotten so much stuff.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you!  I can remove it if it doesn't fit.

magicjava said:

Wow you guys move fast!  Some really interesting stuff here.  Wish I had a bit more time to explore it further.  Will have to squeeze it in when I get the chance.  In the meantime I'm trying to bookmark lol.

I have done a couple more, mostly just playing with layers, modes and filters. This is one of them, I can't post the other until its been released. I didn't realize how much I like the old fashioned photo look. If I had known that I was going to end up with this look I may have added a bit of fill light to the left to help separate her clothes.

The only reason I didn't say anything earlier is because this isn't non-photorealistic. But I just had to comment on how beautiful it is. I also checked out your gallery. Very impressive.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

@Artini the fur one is really cool.  Super weird but very cool.  And I really love the last one.

Will, I really like the liquid effect its just right. And the sketch one is fantastic.  I want to color it lol.

TKDRobert - really like the contrast on the second one.

Sammy_jr_mart this looks like it will be a very interesting comic.

Pretty sure I missed a couple, if I did I'm sorry!

Hulk Smash!  Working on composition and color theory.  I'll let you all judge how well I did.  The good thing is that through experimenting on this, I developed a new work flow that may help me a great deal with my comic renders.

Hulk Smash

Tweaked it a little.  Tell me which you like better.

Hulk Smash II

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,142
    edited January 2018

@magicjava - thank you for the detailed tutorial/info re how to use the geoshell.  The images you posted were very helpful.  

I made this image layering a GSO render and an iraytoon shader render.  I then fixed errors such as failure to put matts on the belt, lol.  Painted over a bit, and added a tiny bit of line art.  The rest is topaz filters.  The background is not mine.  My goal was to see whether I could achieve a manga style character with good outlining - which for the first time, I feel i did.  Because I was just playing around and testing, I didn't have a particular story or image idea in mind.  I regret that now because it would have been so much better with a real pose/storey behind it.  

manga style aiko.jpg
    3200 x 2766 - 2M
    Post edited by Worlds_Edge on
This discussion has been closed.