Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited January 2018
    L'Adair said:

The Zombie Billboards will (probably) never make it into my cart. 

I was impressed with the one promo render showing the zombies as dark shapes in the tunnel. I think they will be useful for crowds and mob scenes In general I depth of field my billboard characters because the lighting and detail is hard to match and I will be curious if the zombification is noticible when they are blurred....  but we can always use more civilians that aren’t terribly distinctive for mob or crowded scenes.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • Sharks by AM: Great White  - is this the one that was gone?

I think it was great white.

Sure is, I'm really confused now.

edited January 2018

It was moved to the pas offsite  store. I saw it there but it was a bit outside my price range. Maybe it is back?

•  

It was moved to the pas offsite  store. I saw it there but it was a bit outside my price range. Maybe it is back?

It's back, I just don't get why or why it was removed to begin with. Maybe sales at gumroad didn't pay off.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I doubt this will happen here so I keep things light on the forum but I do feel that sometimes the emphasis on avoidance on critique of products leaves buyers without a voice or ability to asses the usability of items. 

Totally agree- if / when it's suggested not to critique then the forum would lose a lot of members. 99.9% of the threads are about the products! 

So what do you folks think about Owen overall, and the other things in the Pro Bundle?

edited January 2018

I bought him to kitbash and so far thrilled with modern clothing. There are elements of each set I like but so far for some reason I like his shoes. Seems more innovative than usual and they aren’t sandals or flats.  There are at least two pairs of great shoes in the set and some nice pants. 

I’m busy testing the rest of the set but so far his content is the most useful pro bundle for men I’ve been able to use for a while.

• Daywalker DesignsDaywalker Designs Posts: 3,586
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

I doubt this will happen here so I keep things light on the forum but I do feel that sometimes the emphasis on avoidance on critique of products leaves buyers without a voice or ability to asses the usability of items. 

Totally agree- if / when it's suggested not to critique then the forum would lose a lot of members. 99.9% of the threads are about the products! 

I don't have a problem with critiques as such; what raises my hackles is when people consistently repeat negative comments they made about one figure for every single one after it. Another thing that irks me is when people complain about what I feel are accurately realistic recreations of people and rave about ones that don't look right to me and if I say what I feel about the look, they respond with "well you know how to fix it".

So what do you folks think about Owen overall, and the other things in the Pro Bundle?

While I don't yet have the pro bundle, I think I'm going to not let my issues with his material settings offset the benefit of those outfits.
    Post edited by Daywalker Designs on

Here's a few 60% off with one Overcome Nightmares new release in cart.  Take a peek if you're looking for good, functional products. (These are just the ones I don't already have, didn't uncheck Hide What I Own) 

Easy Shape Master-Age Control and Body Tuning for Genesis 8 Males    6.78  Anyone played with this yet?  (Sorry, can't remember.) 

Hands Dial Up (Genesis 8 Male)  5.98

For nonhuman characters and other creative approaches-  Easy Tongue (Genesis 8 Males)   6.38  And @Knittingmommy did a gallery image so take a peek! 

• Hmm... Tempting...
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Sharks by AM: Great White  - is this the one that was gone?

I think it was great white.

Yes, I just checked the alternate sites and it's no longer available at either one. Same with the Hammerhead, which is also showing in his store here. I think he may have lowered the prices, too. Weren't they in the $30-$35 range initially? AM admitted in the commerical thread that he pulled them due to lackluster sales here. Perhaps all the folks entreating him to bring them back worked...?

Novica said:

The pro bundle is still in my cart, mainly because I haven't decided what else to buy now, and what to put into my wishlist for later. Based on the promos, I think it would be very easy to use morphs to make him an Adam Driver lookalike. Not a bad thing. And I like that he's not a hunky muscled-up boy-toy. I'll know more after I download him.

The clothing included with the bundle all look pretty good, with the exception of the vest I admitted not liking earlier. Three outfits have lace up shoes and all three have bows! I like that trend. And I like the rolled up sleeves on the Hipster Outfit shirt. I like Osher Hair a lot better than Matthew Hair. If Matthew had a morph to make the top hair shorter, that would help. Looks like it has one to make it even longer. Meh. The addon characters look nice. I always look for two things, face shape and nice materials: what do they add to my gene pool? The tats don't interest me at all. I never pay attention to pose packs that come with pro bundles. Poses are only a starting point for me. I have no interest at all in the piercings product. (Probably means I'll use it more than everything else in the bundle combined! lol)

edited January 2018

I’m curious about the tongue product because I found the tongue really ridiculously difficult to pose especially since I raise g8ms mouth higher it seems to affect the tongue and make it harder to see. 

The human tongue is a fairly odd looking organ and I’m not sure how often I will want to Make it visible but I may welcome something that will make it usable...  since currently I can’t use it at all.

I may have to repurchase something to trigger the discount since I already picked up most of what I want from today’s offerings.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited January 2018
    Novica said:

When I post I try to remember people make these products and while it's okay to voice displeasure, statement after statement of extreme adjectives belitting someone's work really isn't okay to me. These type of superlatives definitely don't foster goodwill for the vendors to come onto the forums to get feedback and hear what we have to say/ give input. Why would they want to?  Then the rest of us don't get heard with our helpful comments because the vendors are saying, "Screw this, I don't need this abuse."  RIGHTFULLY SO. 

To the vendors who surf this thread- while we might not always be over the moon with certain aspects of any given product, speaking for myself I can only say I appreciate the time you take to get our input/opinions and help us along by fixing things or changing things in the next product. 

Read below. These were comments found on page 3 of the Owen thread, and really not necessary. I edited the second comment (not much was taken out) 

***First post: Nice base skin and character morph, relentlessly ugly clothes and hair in the bundle. Even the freebies can't justify that purchase to me.

***Second post, by ONE person:  "relentlessly ugly", nice turn of phrase.  I was leaning towards "fashion run-way disaster", but I think you win..... not buying the Pro Bundle because those clothes are hideous. ...... Or here's a thought: stop making these wretched outfits that invariably have bits (like shoes) that look to be clunky cartoonish hack pieces and concetrate on making a single, versatile piece that I might want to buy. 

As the author of the first comment, that was meant to express my dislike for the type of fashions they chose to include in the bundle, rather than a slam at the PAs' competence. The clothing looks reasonably well-made, and is authentic to what a certain type of twenty-something is wearing nowadays, I'm just not paying $66 for anything I personally find as off-putting as that type of grunge and that type of goth. I don't find it attractive, I don't find it useful in the kinds of pictures I make, and I don't think it looks good on this particular character-he would have been better served, IMO, by a wardrobe of frilly poet shirts, riding breeches, and futuristic villain armor. I apologize for not saying that in a useful way, and will cross-post an expanded version of this to the Owen 8 thread.

Post edited by Odaa on

@odaa   Thank you for addressing your intention,  what you meant, and that it could have been said in a useful way.  That was nice of you to do that.  :) 

edited January 2018

I think sometimes it is dififcult to contain one's disappointment when contents of a bundle aren't things one is interested in. Especially when its male stuff and there is so little that is made. 

I know in the past I've been disappointed when male bundles have too much fantasy/roman/goth stuff although I realize that the majority of customers may like that. I have plenty of those types of outfits and don't really render those genres.

edited January 2018

I've tested 3 of the outfits, and think they are pretty great for a young urban man. I will get use out of those with their texture expansions, and two of the shoe sets are really rocking. I  do think Matthew hair like L'Adair would be improved by having a few more adjustments, because I do really like it. I'd love to be able to adjust the sideburns height, because they tend to ride a bit high over the ear, leaving a space. There is an ear adjustment but it pulls the hair out, not down.

As far as the height top height  goes I’m pleased to say that, you can lower the 'adjust top longer' option to less, and you can extend parameters so it goes even less than it wants to allow but if you go too far, you hair has an uneven quality because only certain pieces are lowering and the back parts are starting to push through.

The hairline in front requires some tweaking, because it loads with a very tiny fringe which can load a bit high showing the part which is supposed to imbed in the forehead. You can pull it down but it requires finesse because too much and you lose the scalp entirely and it looks too flat and imbedded.

This is the hairstyle with the hair pulled down something like -76 percent.

90 percent.png
    1400 x 1600 - 4M
  • I  do think Matthew hair like L'Adair would be improved by having a few more adjustments, because I do really like it. I'd love to be able to adjust the sideburns height, because they tend to ride a bit high over the ear, leaving a space. There is an ear adjustment but it pulls the hair out, not down.

Yes what happened to hair having a bunch of style adjustments? It's at the point where you'd almost think one could sell morph addons for hair just like characters.

edited January 2018
    Yes what happened to hair having a bunch of style adjustments? It's at the point where you'd almost think one could sell morph addons for hair just like characters.

short hair styles for men especially need these adjustments to make it look real in areas around the ear, temple and forehead because the harirlines are frequently more visible than on women's longer hair styles and more defined. This hair does have quite a few adjustments, but the ones I think are needed most aren't there that I can see. The sideburn height issue is common on male hair, as is the space above the ear issue. This hairstyle also has a very flat forhead area, so it really is imporant to get the little fringe fitted properly to break up the line there. When this hair loads, it seem to not fit that area as well as I would like and there is a fringe line there. There are adjustments but it is fiddly to place it perfeclty. It may not be as visible in dark styles but on blondes the line is kind of visible.

I  do think Matthew hair like L'Adair would be improved by having a few more adjustments, because I do really like it. I'd love to be able to adjust the sideburns height, because they tend to ride a bit high over the ear, leaving a space. There is an ear adjustment but it pulls the hair out, not down.

As much as I agree with having a bunch of style adjustments, I'm not sure it's feasible with hair like Matthew. Here's the "clay" render:

Look at all those long skinny pieces of mesh!

edited January 2018

Wasn't there a discussion on geoshells regarding hair? I haven't used that in ages, so don't remember how those work.

Or,  would it work to ghost a second copy of that same person wearing the hair, CHANGE THEIR HEAD SHAPE,  and superimpose them on the first guy?  Probably more trouble than what it's worth.

Post edited by Novica on

I think it would be cool if you could mix and match. The lower parts could be separate from the top part, and you could make differents styles for the top and sides to make different styles.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2018
    L'Adair said:

I  do think Matthew hair like L'Adair would be improved by having a few more adjustments, because I do really like it. I'd love to be able to adjust the sideburns height, because they tend to ride a bit high over the ear, leaving a space. There is an ear adjustment but it pulls the hair out, not down.

As much as I agree with having a bunch of style adjustments, I'm not sure it's feasible with hair like Matthew. Here's the "clay" render:

Look at all those long skinny pieces of mesh!

That is pretty heavy mesh so I guess I understand.

Novica said:

Wasn't there a discussion on geoshells regarding hair? I haven't used that in ages, so don't remember how those work.

Or,  would it work to ghost a second copy of that same person wearing the hair, CHANGE THEIR HEAD SHAPE,  and superimpose them on the first guy?  Probably more trouble than what it's worth.

The last time I used a hair from SWAM I wound up with three copies all morphed different and messed up with deformers and dForce to get the shape, fit, and thickness I wanted. So I can confirm that this sort of thing does work but also confirm that it takes for freaking ever.

Sometimes if there's a small misalignment with the hairline you can add a smoothing/collision modifier and scale the hair so the scalp is just a bit smaller than the head. But sometimes hair just flat out doesn't take to smoothing.

Post edited by agent unawares on
    edited January 2018

Hey, @divamakeup has a new character, I see her in the scrolling banner when you click the Young and Free page! She's the gorgeous gal with the white eyelashes! Congrats on your first character release! 

Edit, okay, it stopped swirling. It's Lori for Genesis 8

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

Hey, @divamakeup has a new character, I see her in the scrolling banner when you click the Young and Free page! She's the gorgeous gal with the white eyelashes! Congrats on your first character release! 

Brilliant job, Diva.

edited January 2018

I was reading the FaceGen thread, and thought I'd show you the fun my friend and I had with it. FaceGen Artist Pro As people say, it can be hit or miss, when we did me, it was a miss, I didn't even keep the results. But when it hits, my GOODNESS, everyone's mouth dropped open at the remarkable likeness!  We were clowning around and discussed traveling the world as 3d characters, so I picked out Alsace to roam around, and we said the only way we'd get to travel would be working on a cruise ship, so I plopped her in a uniform. FaceGen is a lot of fun!  I'm not showing the side shot, but we did a front and side to get the remarkable likeness results.

Her eyes didn't go wonky too bad, but mine sure did, and if you visit the FaceGen thread you'll see it's a common problem.

And apparently they are working on a Genesis 8 addition. 

FaceGen would be a lot of fun for Christmas cards!

So first, here's the photo. 

Facegen.jpg
    338 x 500 - 137K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2018

Now imagine you're her, you're not expecting much, and here's the results! (We laughed SO hard at the Adventure Girl outfit and how she's roaming around Alsace in nautical uniform.)  

So compare the photo with the 3d character. I am super impressed!

TIP: Photoshop/pre-work the lips and brows to clearly define their shape, before using FaceGen. I didn't do it very dark, we were testing to see how sensitive the FaceGen would be- so you can see where her lips were added in a bit on the photo. Had to do a bit of postwork on the whites of the eyes/irises, as mentioned in the post above the eyes go slightly weird. Think of an elliptical shape.

FaceGenAdventureGirl2.jpg
    510 x 600 - 191K
    FaceGenAlsace.jpg
    680 x 880 - 531K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Edit, okay, it stopped swirling. It's Lori for Genesis 8

I was mildly disappointed there wasn't anything for the boys. Mildly, because it's not that unusual. A quick peek, and I thought I'd gotten off easy today...

But when you mentioned Lori was Divamakeup's first product and it hit the store today, I knew I just had to buy her. I put Lori in the cart. And then I looked at the product page. Woot! Very well done, Diva. And I love all the eye makeup options, (not surprising from a PA named Divamakeup.) Classy and understated. I know I'm going to use those. And I seldom use makeup options.

Congrats on the new release, girl. Hugs.

@ladair  When you render her, would love to see it! She seems very versatile.

Novica said:

@ladair  When you render her, would love to see it! She seems very versatile.

Will do. I think Lori and Owen have a date coming up...

OT

I am going through boxes from the storage unit, cleaning out closets, etc. Going to share a bit of humor and wisdom that I saved. 

BUMPER STICKERS FOR LADIES
    *So many men, so few who can afford me.
    *Coffee, chocolate, men. Some things are just better rich.
    *Don't treat me any differently than you would the Queen.
    *Of course I don't look busy. I did it right the first time.
    *Warning!  I have an attitude and I know how to use it. 
    *How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    *Don't upset me. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
    *If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen. 

Something to think about: People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said. BUT they will always remember how you made them feel.

Never Say This To A Cop
    *I can't reach my license. Will you hold my beer?
    *Sorry Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.
    *Aren't you the guy from Village People?
    *Hey, you must've been doing 95 to keep up with me. Good job!
    *Are you Andy or Barney?  (Andy Griffith Show)
    *You're not going to check the trunk, are you?
    *Gee, Officer. Thanks. The last officer only gave me a warning too.
    *Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.
    *I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes...I know there's no other cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are!

When an Officer says "Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?" do not reply "Well, your eyes looked glazed, have you had your doughnuts today?"

Florida Prayer
    Bless this house oh yes we cry,
    Please keep it cool in Mid-July.
    Bless the walls where termites dine,
    While ants and roaches march in time.

Bless our yard where spiders pass
    The fire ant castles in the grass.
    Bless the garage, a home to please
    Carpenter beetles, ticks, and fleas.

Bless the love bugs two by two,
    The gnats and mosquitoes that feed on you.
    Millions of creatures that fly or crawl,
    In Florida, well, we've got them all.

But this is home and here we'll stay
    Because we've got our insect spray!

edited January 2018

OT:  DID YOU EVER WONDER...

Why women can't put on mascara with their mouths closed?
    Why glue doesn't stick to the inside of the bottle?
    Why you don't see headlines of "Psychic Wins Lottery!"
    Why is abbreviated such a long word?
    Why is a boxing ring square?
    Why is it that doctors call what they do practice?
    Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?
    Why is it that to stop Windows, you have to click Start?
    Why is it that when you're driving and looking for an address, you turn down the volume of the radio?
    Why is bottled lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid is made with real lemons?
    Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?
    Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?
    Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?
    Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?
    Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
    What do people in China call their exquisite plates?
    What do you call a male ladybug?
    What hair color do they put on the driver's license of a bald man?
    Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?
    Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
    Why are there interstates in Hawaii?
    You know that indestructible black box used on planes? Why not make the whole plane out of it?
    If a fire fighter fights fire, and a crime fighter fights crime- what does a freedom fighter fight?
    Why do they put Braille dots on keypads of the drive-up ATMs? 
    When you transport something by car it's called shipment, by when you transport something by ship, it's called cargo!
    Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?
    What would Geronimo say if he jumped out of a plane?
    Why are they called apartments if they are all stuck together?
    If flying is so safe, why call the airport the terminal?
     If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.