Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2018

So, I've been tempted several times by Sleepaway camp - but decided I'd see what I could do with some kitbashing. 

​This is Tango's Angry Orchard with the orchard deleted, the Pond Creator Kit, the Luxury Camping Snug, and Caravan, a Airstream trailer, from Rendo, plus some vehicles. It is a WIP... I'm going to add some additional campers a couple of dogs, and some fire pits. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Angry Orchard is a pretty complex set - but it took just under 17 minutes to render this on my 8GB Geforce 1070. 

000taocamp000a.jpg
    1546 x 881 - 943K
    Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

That looks really good, @donovancolbert. Even for a WIP!

• So it would be about 1%. Wow. I've made out like a bandit. Dang. I need to stop feeling bad about spending money on this hobby.

It's 9.7% if you divide and get 0.097. "Percent" means "out of a hundred" so you have to multiply by 100 to change a ratio into a percent.

I'll take that. that is a wonderul number. Nice and tiny. Now, what can I buy off my wishlist. Hmmm....

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421
    edited January 2018
    L'Adair said:

Tango's sets are incredible. Jackson's Field is another one I picked up recently that just blew me away. Stonemason gets so much of the attention, and his (?) sets are absolutely incredible - but Tango Alpha's are every bit as much fun to work with and frequently far less expensive. Thanks! 

Post edited by donovancolbert on
  • 6.7%, dividing my current total spent by my current value. For some reason, I'm not geting current retail value in the plugin right now. 

L'Adair said:

Tango's sets are incredible. Jackson's Field is another one I picked up recently that just blew me away. Stonemason gets so much of the attention, and his (?) sets are absolutely incredible - but Tango Alpha's are every bit as much fun to work with and frequently far less expensive. Thanks! 

Yes, Stonemason is a guy, (Stefan,) and so is Tango Alpha, (Tim.) I have several TA sets, and they are really good. And large! lol

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

So it would be about 1%. Wow. I've made out like a bandit. Dang. I need to stop feeling bad about spending money on this hobby.

It's 9.7% if you divide and get 0.097. "Percent" means "out of a hundred" so you have to multiply by 100 to change a ratio into a percent.

Oops, my bad. I had just assumed they'd be getting a .20 or something like that, not into the hundreths column. That boggles the mind. I thought I was a good shopper, LOL. 

• My mother always said I was a cheapskate, I guess she was right. :D

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

I agree! I just picked up the apple orchard in December during the sale (it then went PC+ last week so I got a credit for the difference. Jackson's Field and Medieval Hall and Garden were also switched to PC+ within recent months.).

I like your kitbashed image. I was wondering about the Pond Builder and found it's in my runtime. Some day I got to get around to using all this stuff. Kitbashing is a good ay to do that.

• Thanks, RGcincy. I find kitbashing one of the more rewarding aspects of this hobby... trying to figure out how to get something different out of the content than the PA had in mind when they designed it, using shaders and mixing and matching parts of different content. It was either L'adair or Divamakeup who called this playing with digital Barbie dolls - but there is a little bit of Digital Legos involved in it too. :) 

I'm a cheapskate, too - so being able to repurpose one piece of content in a completely different way really appeals to me. Feels like extending value... 

Thanks, RGcincy. I find kitbashing one of the more rewarding aspects of this hobby... trying to figure out how to get something different out of the content than the PA had in mind when they designed it, using shaders and mixing and matching parts of different content. It was either L'adair or Divamakeup who called this playing with digital Barbie dolls - but there is a little bit of Digital Legos involved in it too. :) 

I'm a cheapskate, too - so being able to repurpose one piece of content in a completely different way really appeals to me. Feels like extending value...

I did say that, But I've heard it around the forums as well. Maybe we both said it! Anyway, I like your comparison to Digital Legos, as well. Frugal or not, kitbashing is a must, the way I see it, to get a unique look to a scene.

It's definitely nice not to have the exact same set as everyone else. When RGcincy and I were kitbashing sets (using two that we bought in order) I really liked adding elephant tusks and bones from one set to a room of another set for wall art.  For RRRR three years ago, I had to combine a scifi bar, a Mayan temple, and a circus interior. The Mayan temple actually made a great room for the bar!

• cismiccismic Posts: 629
    edited January 2018

This is a latest kit bash that I've put together. A little bit of everything.   This is still a work in progess. :-)

Tangy Apples_HDR.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 943K
    Post edited by cismic on

@donovancolbert   I really like the different vehicles. The Teardrop Camper  is what I thought of immediately,  I have it but not used it that I can remember. There's poses,  Dusty Trails, and Camp Out for it too. 

Hope that water is warm LOL! 

@cismic- nice kitbashing! There's a lot in that already. Love the kids playing.

I just picked up some of the new releases for 61% off. Be aware if you use the Daz Originals link on the promo page, all the DOs are not showing. Just use the Shop at the top of the page, then filter the Artist by Daz Originals. The sale is a bit confusing, it says ALL Daz Originals get an extra 20% off, so I don't know how this is working. Some of the DO new releases are not getting the same discount.  

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

So, I've been tempted several times by Sleepaway camp - but decided I'd see what I could do with some kitbashing. 

​This is Tango's Angry Orchard with the orchard deleted, the Pond Creator Kit, the Luxury Camping Snug, and Caravan, a Airstream trailer, from Rendo, plus some vehicles. It is a WIP... I'm going to add some additional campers a couple of dogs, and some fire pits. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Angry Orchard is a pretty complex set - but it took just under 17 minutes to render this on my 8GB Geforce 1070. 

I never heard it called "Angry" before! Gonna have to ponder on that! Angry landscapes. Hmmmm . . . . . wink

Love the kitbash yes

edited January 2018

@tangoalpha  LOL. For folks who don't know, it's the Tangy Apple Orchard. A very nice product! Only 4.99, are you kidding me? I got it at probably 50 or 60% off and thought I was doing good! We've featured it before. I think it was RGcincy? (correct me if I'm wrong.)  I didn't realize that vehicle and props were part of that set! 

Post edited by Novica on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

It's a Daz O now - I don't have any control over the pricing wink

Oh, not complaining. Trying to point people towards a great deal! (I sound like a Geico commercial- "cause that's what we do.")  Looking forward to your future products! 

Novica said:

@tangoalpha  LOL. For folks who don't know, it's the Tangy Apple Orchard. A very nice product! Only 4.99, are you kidding me? I got it at probably 50 or 60% off and thought I was doing good! We've featured it before. I think it was RGcincy? (correct me if I'm wrong.)  I didn't realize that vehicle and props were part of that set! 

I agree the Tangy Apple Orchard ( @tangoalpha ) has some really cool features in itself and for mixing with others.

• LOL! I don't know where I got "Angry" Orchard from! I must have been thinking of what a Whopper(tm) of a set it is? 

Got my BK mixed up with my Tango Alpha. 

Anyhow, it is one of my favorite pieces of content. We discussed a while back how you built the whole thing in Carrara. I still haven't put enough time into developing content myself - and imagine it'll be a long time if ever before I create something like this for DAZ or Carrara. Thanks for creating such a high quality set. 

LOL! I don't know where I got "Angry" Orchard from! I must have been thinking of what a Whopper(tm) of a set it is? 

Got my BK mixed up with my Tango Alpha. 

Anyhow, it is one of my favorite pieces of content. We discussed a while back how you built the whole thing in Carrara. I still haven't put enough time into developing content myself - and imagine it'll be a long time if ever before I create something like this for DAZ or Carrara. Thanks for creating such a high quality set. 

Yes, very nice! Indeed.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Great job on the kit bashing!  Love both examples and its a good reminder that I should maybe do it a bit more than I currently am lol.

• LOL! I don't know where I got "Angry" Orchard from! I must have been thinking of what a Whopper(tm) of a set it i

Perhaps here

sku-100391_ao-crisp-12pk.png
    400 x 389 - 350K
  • NathNath Posts: 2,718

Treated myself to the Centaur Female Pro bundle yesterday on sale; I've only been resisting since it came out - so today I got to put in a claim for it being even cheaper with yesterday's cart and today's Daz O sale... Yay :-)

edited January 2018

LOL! I don't know where I got "Angry" Orchard from! I must have been thinking of what a Whopper(tm) of a set it i

Perhaps here

OMGosh, I Googled it to see if you had made that up!  My thread now has a new distinction. "Home of The Angry Orchard."  cheeky

Post edited by Novica on
  • Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I paid 20%.  I know I'm not great at shopping/saving.  But for this and a couple of other threads, I'm sure my percentage would be higher.  I hate looking at the "spent" amount though.  It's very scary!

Angry Orchard would have been a great/catchy name for the product (though one might need a couple of angry birds to go with it).  

Angry Orchard would have been a great/catchy name for the product (though one might need a couple of angry birds to go with it).  

They'd need some green pigs wandering around too...

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Somene more skilled than me should render Angry Orchards filled with birds and pigs!  And scary trees.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Angry orchard is a popular hard cider where I live.

This discussion has been closed.