Your Intel based computer is (probably) going to get slower this month (along with the whole world).

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    Byrdie said:

I think you'd have to go back to sometime around 2007 or thereabouts to find one without the bug. My Dell XPS which is just two years old surely has it, so bad news for me on the one hand. On the other, the new laptop I ordered during their Boxing Day sale has AMD chips. Guess I was lucky that even on sale the Intel laptops were out of my league budget-wise.

..like my 12 year old Toshiba notebook.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749
    edited January 2018

"I have not updated my main WIN 8 pc for 3-4 years. It runs my music DAW, and ever since I started the DAZ hobby it runs DS too. I always disable any external interference in my workstation rig, keeping it stable and predictable."

Running a 2009 win7 home premium PC with no intention of updating

other two comps are an even older macbook

and my file server tower is  a HP compaq  still running vista .

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

my i5 is safely offline.

next pc will be an 8 core threadripper.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:

Makes me glad I bought a Threadripper

...I would have considered that except then I would have to downgrade to W10.

Yeh that is annoying, although I'm tempted to try installing W7 on it; I have a copy of pro; I've even got all the drivers etc, it's just going to be a monumental pain in the ass.

...as I understand, Robert Friese attempted to go that route and eventually gave up.  So just sticking with my i7 until I can find a 2.8 - 3.46 GHz 6 core Westmere Xeon for my current system.

• nicstt said:
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:

Yeh that is annoying, although I'm tempted to try installing W7 on it; I have a copy of pro; I've even got all the drivers etc, it's just going to be a monumental pain in the ass.

Why? The only pain in the ass I had installing W7 on my Ryzen build was making sure I had USB drivers on the install media as I haven't seen a PS/2 mouse or keyboard in ages.

edited January 2018

...so you got it working reliably then.

Yeah 32 threads for CPU rendering in Iray, 3DL, and Carrara would be really nice, but it would require building an entirely new system which I do not have the income for.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Well, seems like one more time I’ll have a bitter medicine to avoid  a serious illness. I’d rather be slow than vulnerable. sad

• kyoto kid said:

Yeah...we had a fairly lengthy discussion about this in the Threadripper thread I think.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Anyone else notice that we're starting to get almost weekly news stories about the latest catastrophic software/hacking bug that's going to affect the entire universe? And they're getting worse and worse? 

kyoto kid said:

Yeah...we had a fairly lengthy discussion about this in the Threadripper thread I think.

..yeah I stopped checking that after a while

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited January 2018
    kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

By "we" I mean "you and I" lol laugh

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/192511/has-anyone-here-bought-a-treadripper-rig-and-used-it-for-studio-yet/p6

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:

I'll just leave this here:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

**Quote**
    Description:

Supports Windows 10/7

Package Includes:

AMD Chipset Drivers
                               AMD Ryzen™ Balanced Power Plan
                               Support for
                                              7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors
                                              AMD Ryzen™ desktop processor
                                              AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor​
                                              AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ AMD X399 Chipset​

**End Quote**

• I dearly love how they try to imply this is a problem with AMD processors after AMD already clearly stated it isn't. Shady.

kyoto kid said:
    kyoto kid said:

By "we" I mean "you and I" lol laugh

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/192511/has-anyone-here-bought-a-treadripper-rig-and-used-it-for-studio-yet/p6

...been a while was also discussing the matter with Robert at length though that moved to PMs so as not to derail the thread.

edited January 2018
    JamesJAB said:
    kyoto kid said:
    nicstt said:

I'll just leave this here:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

**Quote**
    Description:

Supports Windows 10/7

Package Includes:

AMD Chipset Drivers
                               AMD Ryzen™ Balanced Power Plan
                               Support for
                                              7th Generation AMD A-Series Processors
                                              AMD Ryzen™ desktop processor
                                              AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ Processor​
                                              AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ AMD X399 Chipset​

**End Quote**

...thank you, however for myself, as I mentioned, it would require coming into a moderate windfall to afford to build a new system as much as it would be nice to have those 32 processor threads.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217

I dearly love how they try to imply this is a problem with AMD processors after AMD already clearly stated it isn't. Shady.

There's a lot of shifting weight in that statement, it's very PRbot3000. I would like to know how this bug could have flown under the radar for over twenty years though, it's all very strange. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I read that Fox News article although I try to avoid reading any news from any news organization and those people buying unfiltered water are basically being swindled. People have built countless behavioural, envirnmental, and nutritional filters to grow old satisfied and safely and yet they throw it out the window to be hipsters?  blush Not smart and I don't care where their degrees came from.

• Gotta love it:

"Intel believes these exploits do not have the potential to corrupt, modify or delete data....
    ....Intel has begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits.
    ...Check with your operating system vendor or system manufacturer and apply any available updates as soon as they are available.

This misreported issue, which doesn't exist, affects our rivals, we've got it in hand, patch as soon as possible, because everything is fine (and it wasn't us).

Classic.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890
    edited January 2018

I dearly love how they try to imply this is a problem with AMD processors after AMD already clearly stated it isn't. Shady.

There's a lot of shifting weight in that statement, it's very PRbot3000. I would like to know how this bug could have flown under the radar for over twenty years though, it's all very strange. 

I think this bug happened because of feature creep. The basic function still works but can by used to trigger exploits of features added on later and Intel and AMD and others have been adding plenty of new features. I think the AMD person claiming that AMD doesn't have a problem doesn't know what they are talking about.

It's sort of like some jurisdictions have those wierd old laws about horses and hitching and riding since they were basically cars that need to be stricken from the law books to avoid hurt. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Well, it is based off a New York Times piece, so...

• Gotta love it:

"Intel believes these exploits do not have the potential to corrupt, modify or delete data....
    ....Intel has begun providing software and firmware updates to mitigate these exploits.
    ...Check with your operating system vendor or system manufacturer and apply any available updates as soon as they are available.

This misreported issue, which doesn't exist, affects our rivals, we've got it in hand, patch as soon as possible, because everything is fine (and it wasn't us).

Classic.

laugh

Intel has a history of waiting till someone finds it and makes it public to issue a fix... (or replacement for defective parts)
    And their CPUs have always been full of bugs and quirks.

1993 : Pentium - FDIV bug
    1997 : Pentium MMX - F00F bug
    1997 : Pentium II and Pentium Pro - Dan 0411 bug
    2000 : Pentium III 1.13Ghz Unstable (Recalled)
    2002 : Pentium 4 and Xeon - L2 Cache Bugs
    2007 : Core 2 Duo - (Intel refused to release details about severity, they just quietly released a patch)
    2016 : 6th Gen Intel Core family - Skylake Bug
    2017 : Skylake and Kaby Lake - Hyperthreading Bug
    2017 : Intel V-Pro Management Bugs

And I didn't even spend that long searching around for them...  I'm sure there are lots more if I dig around a bit.

Gotta love it:

Classic.

This is all I thought of when I read your post!

A Star Wars Quote -
    "Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

• I dearly love how they try to imply this is a problem with AMD processors after AMD already clearly stated it isn't. Shady.

Is it? They do point out that there is an issue (though from what I gather not identical) with ARM64, so the Intel spokesperson may be assuming that AMD is trying to deflect attention from a bug with their chips.

Is it? They do point out that there is an issue (though from what I gather not identical) with ARM64, so the Intel spokesperson may be assuming that AMD is trying to deflect attention from a bug with their chips.

Yes. This phrasing is absolutely not accidental.

Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits. Intel is committed to product and customer security and is working closely with many other technology companies, including AMD

• Where are you seeing that AMD has a bug related to this? All I can find is AMD's categorical denial.

• The Register piece has been updated to state that macOS has already been patched since version 10.13.2

I have updated the header post accordingly.