Has anyone here bought a Treadripper rig and used it for Studio yet?

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited September 2017

...older generation Xeons for me. The "bang" for me is I can continue working in W7 Pro.

No half day long update sessions, no useless digital assistant I dont need, no bug...er...feature bloat I don't need, no adverts. no OS by subscription, and no MS telling me what they feel I need..

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited September 2017

AMD came out with W7 drivers for Ryzen; there was just a brief kerfluffle where they weren't going to. I am going to be using W7, as far as I know this just means I will need to use a PS/2 keyboard for installation because of USB driver issues, and later Windows Update might not function correctly thanks to MS shenanigans, but I am not going to be using Windows Update on a render box anyway...so ultimately the cost of even two 4-core Xeons vs a ryzen 1700 just didn't do it for me.

EDIT: If I do run into some kind of insurmountable trouble I can always switch to W10 as I think it takes W7 keys still. The GPU usage doesn't matter to me as I only have a basic backup video card in this. I'm hoping to avoid this situation though.

Post edited by agent unawares on
    edited September 2017

...if they extend that to Threadripper I might reconsider as it is based on Ryzen.  Ryzen only supports two memory channels while Thredripper supports 4.  It makes a difference when rendering on the CPU/system memory (my current system has three memory channels and it rendered faster than similar dual channel systems).  Threadripper would also let me upgrade to 128 GB ensuring even the biggest, heaviest render jobs never dump to swap mode. It we ever do get decent priced prosumer GPUs with more memory than the current Titan line, then I have those 64 PCI lanes available.

Whatever workstation configuration I settle on will be completely standalone since in my book, MS stopped supporting W7 almost a year ago (when they foisted that bundled rollup rubbish on us) and I have a Linux notebook for online/download purposes.

edited September 2017

...wow, that was quick.  Thanks, I owe you a big cuppa joe.

Impressive, in the video with hyperthreading on, the W7 imagry and motion looked just as good the the W10 screen even without DX 12.

With W7 having an almost 2:1 share over W10 I'm glad someone came to their senses.

• :)

I finished the Ryzen build and preloaded USB drivers onto my W7 install because I couldn't find a PS/2 keyboard locally. Haven't finished all the software installation but everything seems to be running normally.

...sweet.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

Yeah, I saw you can get it, but I was hoping to find the 3200 speed RAM at a lower latency (G.Skill has CL 14) on the QVL list to avoid problems.  So far nothing.  I almost said screw it and ordered yesterday, I have my list.  Then I got an email from G.Skill that they don't support that amount of RAM (64 GB) to run at 3200 with the Threadripper.  Which seems weird, as their website said they had 64 GB running 3200 MHz with the Threadripper, but they didn't have memory kits for it.

I'm still tempted to order, but I don't want to be a guinea pig either.  Maybe I wait a little more.  frown

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Well, it's installed.

I did a test, a scene on a 980ti took about 10m 30s; the same scene on the CPU took about 30minutes. I'll redo the test, give better figures, I reinstalled from a disk image as I'd added more stuff to the original image, so lost the timings.

edited September 2017

:)

I finished the Ryzen build and preloaded USB drivers onto my W7 install because I couldn't find a PS/2 keyboard locally. Haven't finished all the software installation but everything seems to be running normally.

You can get usb to ps/2 converters.

It's tempting to try it; have a copy i don't use so not an issue.

No RAM loss and the possibility of slightly more performance.

Although I'd sooner use Linux, but just a pain to get Studio working.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited September 2017
    nicstt said:

:)

You can get usb to ps/2 converters.

It's tempting to try it; have a copy i don't use so not an issue.

No RAM loss and the possibility of slightly more performance.

Although I'd sooner use Linux, but just a pain to get Studio working.

Converter did not work for me for some reason.

EDIT: Also finished loading everything for now and system still runs extremely well. I would recommend trying this to anyone who prefers W7. Manufacturers have tools to load usb drivers into your install media - I used an MSI tool.

Post edited by agent unawares on

Rendered a scene with two figures.

980ti

2017-09-23 13:18:38.657 Finished Rendering
    2017-09-23 13:18:38.731 Total Rendering Time: 14 minutes 47.83 seconds

Threadripper

2017-09-23 14:18:45.806 Finished Rendering
    2017-09-23 14:18:45.873 Total Rendering Time: 32 minutes 44.37 seconds

edited September 2017
    nicstt said:

Rendered a scene with two figures.

980ti

2017-09-23 13:18:38.657 Finished Rendering
    2017-09-23 13:18:38.731 Total Rendering Time: 14 minutes 47.83 seconds

Threadripper

2017-09-23 14:18:45.806 Finished Rendering
    2017-09-23 14:18:45.873 Total Rendering Time: 32 minutes 44.37 seconds

Thanks for the info.  That's pretty impressive for CPU rendering.  smiley

Are you going to put faster cards in it?  My primary interest is all the PCI lanes - two cards running x16, with a card running x8 still dedicated for the desktop, 3 M2 slots all with their own lanes, and still lanes for other storage and connectivity.  On my 6700K, when multitasking a bunch with heavy IO thrown in it can get really bogged down.

I have been waiting for 1900x reviews, one site said they were going to, but it's been 3 weeks since it's been publicly available and still nada...  I'm REALLY itching to pull the trigger, I'm highly tempted to just do it this weekend.  Biggest hangup is the RAM, I don't know all the technical details but it's harder to run faster with more modules or bigger ones.  With so few out there and reviews it's difficult to tell what's a better bet.  With "only" 32 GB, it is seems easy to hit 3200 MHz or a bit more.  3600 seems unattainable.  Not much info on speeds for 3200 with 64GB.  I emailed G.Skill, they replied and stated they only support up to 3200MHz with 4 8GB modules (32GB).  On Anandtech, quite a few bought 3600 mem for Threadripper and have almost attained it, but their sytems were not 100% stable at that speed and dropped the speed down to run 100% stable.  Many to 3200 MHz.  Some recommend buying 3600 RAM, but that's $70-100 dollars more than 3200 CL 14 RAM, and if I would drop it down to 3200 CL14 that seems like a pointless expense.

Soo, the dilemma to try to hit 3200 MHz is, 4x16GB or 8x8GB?  Probably won't upgrade past 64GB later, so the question is solely on the performance aspect.

Post edited by Gator on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited September 2017

So Scott, are you convinced that 3200 vs. 3600 has a meaningful difference in peformance for the stuff you're running? Is it 2% improvement? or 5%? or 1%? 

The reason I ask is because I keep seeing videos claiming that the memory speed difference is barely noticeable. 

Post edited by ebergerly on
    ebergerly said:

So Scott, are you convinced that 3200 vs. 3600 has a meaningful difference in peformance for the stuff you're running? Is it 2% improvement? or 5%? or 1%? 

The reason I ask is because I keep seeing videos claiming that the memory speed difference is barely noticeable. 

In the post it's a max speed of 3200...

Ryzen generally benefits more from higher speed RAM than the Intel CPUs.  Even more so with Threadripper, the Infinity fabric which ties the two Ryzen dies together runs at the clock speed of your RAM. 

Usual disclaimer of benefit depends on application, yadda yadda yadda.

• Ran into a snag building mine the TR4 mount for the Corsair AIO isn't right only 3 of the mounting screws will line up so I'm having to wait on a replacment

...adequate CPU cooling has been my rub as well in configuring a Threadripper system.  Whenever I search for "Threadripper Water Cooling" I only get fan coolers.

Currently configuring two options, one for GPU rendering with 64 GB system memory and a 1080 Ti, the other for CPU rendering with 128 GB of system memory and a smaller GPU just for test renders. To get higher memory speeds than 2666 MHz on a Threadripper X399 MB requires overclocking, something I never do. Most likely I will go with 2400 MHz in either configuration as there is a much better selection of kits available (looking at GSkill Trident series).

• kyoto kid said:

...adequate CPU cooling has been my rub as well in configuring a Threadripper system.  Whenever I search for "Threadripper Water Cooling" I only get fan coolers.

Try "x399 aio liquid cooling".

kyoto kid said:

Currently configuring two options, one for GPU rendering with 64 GB system memory and a 1080 Ti, the other for CPU rendering with 128 GB of system memory and a smaller GPU just for test renders. To get higher memory speeds than 2666 MHz on a Threadripper X399 MB requires overclocking, something I never do. Most likely I will go with 2400 MHz in either configuration as there is a much better selection of kits available (looking at GSkill Trident series).

I think stock speed is actually 2166... if you're going to do stock speeds, I'd stick with G.Skill's Flare-X memory made for Threadripper, and pretty much every x399 board is on their QVL list.

Ran into a snag building mine the TR4 mount for the Corsair AIO isn't right only 3 of the mounting screws will line up so I'm having to wait on a replacment

Bah, bummer!  I hate having a new system laying around waiting on a part! I have felt your pain.  wink

• kyoto kid said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008008&IsNodeId=1&Description=threadripper&name=Water / Liquid Cooling&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

kyoto kid said:

I think stock speed is actually 2166... if you're going to do stock speeds, I'd stick with G.Skill's Flare-X memory made for Threadripper, and pretty much every x399 board is on their QVL list.

...well, all the boards specify 2400 as a non overclocked speed and again that is where the best selection is. Not wanting to install "porcupine" sticks.
    kyoto kid said:

I'd get better performance with a water cooler I feel; I'm seeing slight throttling atm. When they appear (and there are enough reviews to make informed decissions), I'll swap. It will also be quiter, although considering my enthusiasm for silent-running, it is pretty good; ordered two new fans for the case; I was going to go for sp120/140, but have gone for the Be Quiet instead - they seem to be as good if not better.

Well, I did it.  The wait has been killing me, I've budgeted for it (I think) and have been waiting.  After the initial buzz and flood of reviews on release, it's been quiet about Threadripper.  I was holding on the mem, I think I just have to accept with the higher capacity, for whatever reason I won't get speeds as high.  32GB isn't quite enough for me.

I also ordered the 1950x with the Asus board.  Along with it 64GB of RAM, and a GTX 1060 to drive my desktop while I render with the two Titan Pascals.  I probably could have gotten away with a 1050, but I'll dedicate it to PhysX too.  smiley

• Was going through a box of software of my cousins who passed away back in Jun 2015 and found a brand new unopened copy of Win7 Pro just waiting to be used 

Now I'm wondering if I can get it to install on the Threadripper when I finally get to that point

@Robert Freise - there's a thread here somewhere, about Win 7 drivers for Ryzen.  I think it was Kyoto Kid that posted it.  He/she has pretty strong feelings about Win 10.  laugh

Personally, I like Win 10, but some of that is because Win 7 is unbearable with a 4K display.  It lacks proper DPI scaling.

• @Robert Freise - there's a thread here somewhere, about Win 7 drivers for Ryzen.  I think it was Kyoto Kid that posted it.  He/she has pretty strong feelings about Win 10.  laugh

Personally, I like Win 10, but some of that is because Win 7 is unbearable with a 4K display.  It lacks proper DPI scaling.

Could be  and your right He/she does

edited September 2017

...AMD apparently has released Win7 chipsed drivers for both Ryzen and Threadripper. Agent Unawares posted a link near the top of this page.

Yeah, I've been keeping on top of W10 development and what I have been seeing continues to convince me to stay with W7. Something about an "OS as a service" (their words) just dosn't quite sit well with me, sort of like subscription software doesn't. 

Two years later and W7 still has almost a 2:1 share of the user market over W10.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited September 2017

Was doing some research on W7 and Threadripper and have seen some referance to not being able to utilize all of the cpu features but no one says what features aren't being used

Still looking into it as it's not something I have to decide this minute

Usefull info http://www.overclock.net/t/1624699/using-windows-7-on-ryzen-systems

Post edited by Robert Freise on

...sent a PM.