Your Intel based computer is (probably) going to get slower this month (along with the whole world).

1235»

Comments

• So, it was the kernel, in the library, with the pipeline. Gotcha.

You win the internet. smiley

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581
    ebergerly said:

Like I've always said, it's generally best not to be an "early adopter" of any upgrades/patches/whatever, and let the rest of the world try them first and work out any bugs. And in this case, since the Meltdown/Specter issues are by all accounts very unlikely to happen in the near term, if at all, I'm going to wait a while until I allow it to upgrade.

I'm still on D|S 4.9, and don't plan on upgrading for a few months.  

...this is why I like beta versions as I can run them concurrently with the older version.  4.10 is required for using IBL Master with 3DL.

dragotx said:
    ebergerly said:

Like I've always said, it's generally best not to be an "early adopter" of any upgrades/patches/whatever, and let the rest of the world try them first and work out any bugs. And in this case, since the Meltdown/Specter issues are by all accounts very unlikely to happen in the near term, if at all, I'm going to wait a while until I allow it to upgrade.

I'm still on D|S 4.9, and don't plan on upgrading for a few months.  

I agree with you, but in the case of the online games that are being affected, the companies can't afford to sit back and wait, they are too big a target and open to too much liability if they get hit by a well known vulnerability like this. They really don't have a choice about applying patches to their servers

...same for other cloud services.

• Hopefully not too many owners here to be impacted, but Windows 10 patch KB4056892 (related to this thread) seems to be causing boot failures on some old AMD Athlon 64 based PCs.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/after-installation-of-kb4056892-boot-failure-after/6c015632-2a45-4725-a882-f231f8c88f36?auth=1

If you've got one of those running Windows 10, you may want to avoid the "meltdown / spectre" cumulative update (KB4056892).

"I understand that making the machine unbootable is the best protection from remote exploitation, but I would rather have the OS working."  - LOL

• Speaking of funny lines, this one made me laugh:

"[Intel's CEO]...continues to hold shares in line with corporate guidelines."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/intel-ceo-krzanich-sold-shares-after-company-was-informed-of-chip-flaw-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

Oddly enough, the number continuing to be held exactly matching the minimum number contractually allowed to be held. ;-)

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

I'm curious, has anyone had their Windows 10 system download these patches automatically? Mine hasn't happened yet, and since it takes a bit of registry tweaking to keep W10 from downloading updates automatically I assume most everyone gets them automatically?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

Well I have the update installed and so far, crosses fingers, knocks on wood and throws salt over shoulder, my system is running good at the moment..  You can see my system spec in my sig..

..the patch is there but it's a part of one of those rollups instead of a single file which has been reported to be causing BSODs.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Unforutnatley I had nothing but trouble since I removed the patch initially. My computer seized and hung so I had to install it. It still seems to freeze randomly now....  It aslo really wants to install fall creator's update.... I have delayed it using the tools for 365 days but seriously these last two updates have been pretty harmful me taking up hours of time, and giivng me nothing I wanted. Fall creators update messed up my daz studio previously.... So don't want that eitehr. Unfortunately looks like windows updates are going to attempt to run it every chance they get.