Your Intel based computer is (probably) going to get slower this month (along with the whole world).

Comments

• AMD isn't affected. Even spectre 1 which is supposed to affect AMD only happens when not using a default configuration. They've patched it just because of the noise where people are saying AMD is affected. The other two variants only affect Intel (well, Intel is affected by all three variants). Also, there's no performance penalty for the AMD patch of spectre 1.

As for Intel, you shouldn't notice any performance issues if you mostly do renders and play games once you have the patch. I hear large databases, virtualization and other such tasks is where the performance issues will come into play.

Intel CPUs all the way back to the core duo are affected. The newest generation of Intel CPUs are also affected. But like I said, normal desktop tasks won't see any performance hit.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    I'd encourage folks to not focus on "processor/manufacturer XYZ is affected", and instead focus on the far more useful gathering of actual performance data for apps which affect us. It's unfortunate the title of this thread and other mis-informed hype might mislead people into thinking the sky is falling.
  • Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited January 2018

I installed Patch KB4056890 this morning.  I was slightly worried because I have deferred the "Creator's Update" and associated updates and only been installing security patches and this showed up as "cumulative update".  It didn't install any of the creator's update and my install of Windows 10 is still showing as version 1607.  It took a while to download and install, but once I was back up and running I re-ran some old Vue scenes that I had used for testing last year (all that I had on this system with actual times recorded).  I noticed a difference of 1 or 2 seconds on the renders, which is normal variance.

I'm not noticing any slowdown in DS, but unfortunately I don't have any before and after benchmarks to compare.

My only worry now is for when I go back to work next week - we use a large database on a lot of not particularly fast computers, but I suppose it's just wait and see.

Post edited by Dim Reaper on
  • ebergerly said:
    It's unfortunate the title of this thread and other mis-informed hype might mislead people into thinking the sky is falling.

Hey, I just report the misinformed hype. You can decide the merits.

This reply was delayed by a Windows update. Seems so early this month...

• BTW, if you're still waiting to see the update, it might be because your anti-malware package has not yet been updated to be ready for the Windows update. Apparently, Windows update looks for a registry key that is triggered by anti-virus packages saying they are ready.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,777

The patch is in my Windows 7 updates today. But I'm a bit leery of installing it because apparently it breaks things if those things are not also updated to play nicely with it. Especially one's Anti Virus software, which can really screw things up.

• Byrdie said:

The patch is in my Windows 7 updates today. But I'm a bit leery of installing it because apparently it breaks things if those things are not also updated to play nicely with it. Especially one's Anti Virus software, which can really screw things up.

As I understand it the update won't appear unless your anti-virus is updated.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

Here is some more information and the list of affected Intel CPU's  https://security-center.intel.com/advisory.aspx?intelid=INTEL-SA-00088&languageid=en-fr ..

And a long WAN Show video with a lot of info..

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2018

its not as big a thing as people made it out to be. sensationalism at it's best...

wish I made money per click or view (oh wait I don't since I'm not that type).

its almost like a super fast speed Y2K panic attack. we all survived. (and will continue to)

the fact that credit unions leaked info for hundreds of million people is far worse. but no one cares. that will haunt us for longer, is way easier to leverage..and has short and long term impacts.

these "exploits" were not used in the wild. they are hard to pull off. you've got bigger issues visiting pcgamer on an android phone than these ultra sophisticatedexpliots that GOOGLE elite team found and didn't even full find ways to use.

calm down and prioritize things...update your devices...as you should...not a biggie.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on

its not as big a thing as people made it out to be. sensationalism at it's best...

wish I made money per click or view (oh wait I don't since I'm not that type).

its almost like a super fast speed Y2K panic attack. we all survived. (and will continue to)

the fact that credit unions leaked info for hundreds of million people is far worse. but no one cares. that will haunt us for longer, is way easier to leverage..and has short and long term impacts.

these "exploits" were not used in the wild. they are hard to pull off. you've got bigger issues visiting pcgamer on an android phone than these ultra sophisticatedexpliots that GOOGLE elite team found and didn't even full find ways to use.

calm down and prioritize things...update your devices...as you should...not a biggie.

Yeah pretty much, and well the issue has been around for a long time, just seems strange that it has come to light all of a sudden though..

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,777

Well, Windows installed the patch all on its own. Dunno if anything's wonky with my system yet, so far I haven't noticed slowdowns like they say is possible. Then again, I haven't used any programs that would put a big demand on it so I'll just have to wait & see. But better patched than leaking.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited January 2018

I'm afraid I'm one of the unlucky ones. Looks like the patch installed and for the last few days I've been having some slowness issues. Since then Studio has slowed down to a crawl and even dim is slower.  It took 7 minutes for it to start rendering an iray render with a single character in a thong.

I'm thinking of uninstalling it.

I had issues after the fall creator update as well.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,988

You probably need to install a firmware update, too: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

I just uninstalled it. If hackers want to look at my render machine I wish them the joy of it.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971

The little sticker on my laptop says Intel Core i5. Not too good with the more technical stuff, but could this be a reason why my renders seem to be taking longer?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    SteveM17 said:

The little sticker on my laptop says Intel Core i5. Not too good with the more technical stuff, but could this be a reason why my renders seem to be taking longer?

Yes, if you are doing CPU renders. I CPU render too. Those folk talking of 0.5 - 4 hour renders are rendering with nVidia GPUs.

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    SteveM17 said:

Yes, if you are doing CPU renders. I CPU render too. Those folk talking of 0.5 - 4 hour renders are rendering with nVidia GPUs.

Ok, I'm going to sound stupid now. What's the difference between CPU renders and GPU, which would you recommend and how do I know which one I'm using? I should probably know this stuff by now!

edited January 2018
    SteveM17 said:
    SteveM17 said:

Ok, I'm going to sound stupid now. What's the difference between CPU renders and GPU, which would you recommend and how do I know which one I'm using? I should probably know this stuff by now!

I can't afford a GPU card so outside the world of DAZ Studio I can't recommend which is better: nVidia or AMD (ATI) but luckily in DAZ Studio you have no choice so I can tell you that GPU render is faster not visually better than CPU rendering. Although being able to iterate though more renders more quickly on GPU compared to CPU means you can experiment and learn more quickly making better renders faster on average than one that is only CPU rendering.

In summary:

Visually : no difference between GPU & CPU render of the same scene in DAZ Studio iRay

Speed: Render a scene in 30 minutes - 4 hours with the newest nVidia GPU compared to 16+ hours on my i7-3630qm CPU with 16GB RAM.

Winner: newest nVidia GPU because you can learn iRay material and lighting techniques so much faster.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,988
    edited January 2018
    SteveM17 said:
    SteveM17 said:

Simply said, you need a lot of calculations to render an image. Each calculation is done by a core. A core can do one calculation at a time. Your CPU (Central processing unit) has probably 2 cores, plus 2 virtual cores = 4 rendering cores. The nVidea cards (GPU=Graphic procesing unit) have anywhere between 500 and 2500 (I think) so-called Cuda cores, which do the calculation. So the stack of neccessary calculations gets worked off much faster than your four CPU cores, hence your render is "completed" much faster.

Also, Iray only works with nVidea graphic cards, as AMD cards don't have the neccessary cuda cores for this.

EDIT: You can find out if you are rendering with CPU or GPU if you check your log file. ou can alsosee if you have a GPU available in REnder settings, in the advanced panel. Note that you might have to update your card's driver to render, and if the scene you try to render is larger than your VRam, it's going to CPU anyway.

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • johnbpjohnbp Posts: 55
    edited January 2018

Since I applied the update render times are up slightly (test scene was 50:58 and now is 51:42) but system is much less responsive during renders than it used to be.  Plus DS crashes more and when I reboot and reload it can't load several textures (face in this case) from a temp folder (C:\Users\johnb\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\Studio4\temp).  Even other scenes using the same character cannot find these temp files when I load them.

I am wondering why it is so dependent on temp files and not the originals.  It seems like temp files would be exactly that... temporary.  I may try turning off CPU render and just use GPU and see if this helps with the crashes.  

Edit to add:  It is Brow Remover creating those temp files.  I started recreating the scene and when I used Brow Remover the same files were created in that temp folder.

Post edited by johnbp on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158
    BeeMKay said:

You probably need to install a firmware update, too: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025619/software.html

Thank you for posting this. I wasn't aware of the need to update beyond Windows updates. I used the Intel tool to discover that my husband's laptop was susceptible to the problem and updated it with the Intel tool. Afterwards, it retested as patched and no longer susceptible to that particular error.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    Several of the big online multiplayer games are starting to report issues that could be related (Fortnight outright blamed the cloud service server patches for their issues). Fortnight, most Ubisoft online games, and I've seen a lot of complaints about wierd lag issues from people I play with on Overwatch.
    edited January 2018
    dragotx said:
    Several of the big online multiplayer games are starting to report issues that could be related (Fortnight outright blamed the cloud service server patches for their issues). Fortnight, most Ubisoft online games, and I've seen a lot of complaints about wierd lag issues from people I play with on Overwatch.

This video went into this, looks like the fixes could be making things worse than the actual problem itself..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Like I've always said, it's generally best not to be an "early adopter" of any upgrades/patches/whatever, and let the rest of the world try them first and work out any bugs. And in this case, since the Meltdown/Specter issues are by all accounts very unlikely to happen in the near term, if at all, I'm going to wait a while until I allow it to upgrade.

I'm still on D|S 4.9, and don't plan on upgrading for a few months.  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    ebergerly said:

Like I've always said, it's generally best not to be an "early adopter" of any upgrades/patches/whatever, and let the rest of the world try them first and work out any bugs. And in this case, since the Meltdown/Specter issues are by all accounts very unlikely to happen in the near term, if at all, I'm going to wait a while until I allow it to upgrade.

Indeed. My system updates when I let it, and not before.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2018

Everything in my computers is up to date as of right now (but not the new patches). I'll take a wait-and-see approach over the next few weeks to see how it goes over before I put ANY hastily made MS "fix" on my computer. I don't even like to apply the ones that aren't hastily made to tell the truth for fear of it messing up my computer....lol.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on

I've seen a big hint in CPU resources used when I launch a pregram like Unity 3D by Windows Defender and associated tasks that used to not occur. Once Unity 3D started and those 'defender' associated tasks finished inspecting whatever they were inspecting it was back to normal. DAZ Studio seems to have also slowed down on launch but gets back to normal after the launch process is complete.

So slower on launch but otherwise seems the same.

Yep. I do see my system is vulnerable according to the intel tool.  Unfortunately the last few ms updates like the fall creators update have been bad for my computer...and there was never a fix for the Daz Studio viewport zoom  which occurred after upgrading to that.

i may just. Have to take my system offline and download stuff elsewhere.

Yep. I do see my system is vulnerable according to the intel tool.  Unfortunately the last few ms updates like the fall creators update have been bad for my computer...and there was never a fix for the Daz Studio viewport zoom  which occurred after upgrading to that.

i may just. Have to take my system offline and download stuff elsewhere.

I have an open ticket about the DAZ Studio viewport that I know that have been working on. At least I've gotten 2 requests for more information.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134
    ebergerly said:

I agree with you, but in the case of the online games that are being affected, the companies can't afford to sit back and wait, they are too big a target and open to too much liability if they get hit by a well known vulnerability like this. They really don't have a choice about applying patches to their servers