Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,739

Thanks for the insights, mmitchell_houston. I would like to explore more, Unity 3D for making static pictures,

that is why I plan to make more experiments. On the previous image, I have choosen random scale and rotation

during dropping off the objects. Anyhow it is interested for me, to add some mess in my 3D scenes.

edited January 2018

Another experiment in Unity 3D with Hydro Locks and different post processing effect.

HydroLocks05cut.jpg
    1913 x 1027 - 778K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Another experiment in Unity 3D with Hydro Locks and different post processing effect.

This is a neat effect, and one that is possible in Poser Pro 11 with the Bullet Physics feature.

What sort of render options do you have? I'm wondering if you can output Unity with the Lux Render Engine (it's open source)? That tends to focus more on photorealistic options, but I understand that there are some scripts out there that make comic style NPR rendering possible. Have you looked into purchasing any render features from the Unity Assets store? Are there any? Honestly, that's something I know very little about.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited January 2018
    philebus said:

I've just started using Affinity Photo and am keen to limit how much I switch between different programs, which means that I want to see if I can get along without a Cutout filter which Affinity is missing at the moment. I've been trying to use Topaz Simplify as a replacement but the results are not always predictable as the preview doesn't seem very acurate and the results lack a certain crispness. I'll have to experiment with some of the additional settings, such as structure, to see if I can adjust for that. In this example, the results for the upper part of the figure were something I could work with but the results for the legs were, well, not there. My solution was to just block out the colour myself in ArtRage. I started with a new layer and used the dropper to find colours which I then blocked out with the oil brush. I reduced the layer opacity a tad and merged the layers before taking the knife to all.

Do you have Photoshop installed? If so, you could map your Affinity program to look at the PS filters. 

Here's some info on that: https://www.namesuppressed.com/support/plugins-affinity-photo.shtml

PS: I like your final image. Very nice.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited January 2018

Thanks for the idea, mmitchell_houston.

Actually integration of Unity with Blender Cycles was already released,

https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-bocs-shot-photo-realistic-screen-shots.381382/

and I am going to buy it.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Thanks for the idea, mmitchell_houston. Actually integration of Unity with Blender Cycles was already released,

https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-bocs-shot-photo-realistic-screen-shots.381382/

and I am going to buy it: 

That sounds like a good deal, too. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Doctor Aphra (Updated)

Updated with proper arm tattoo that I drew in using PhotoShop.

edited January 2018

First larger scene - Polygon City Pack - rendered with BOCS Shot in Unity 3D.

PolygonCity01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 751K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

... and after applying Topaz Simplify to the render.

PolygonCity01simplify.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

... and after applying another filter in Topaz Studio.

PolygonCity01GameNightII.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 943K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Good results.

• Doctor Pitterbill in Poser 11, an untouched real-time render from the Comic Book Preview + Sketch Designer.

WOW. This completely looks like a hand-drawn illustration. Simple, of course, but nontheless very nicely done. I've had this character for a long time, and have never done more than just dabble with him. I'm looking forward to using him in a project someday.

edited January 2018

Thanks, tkdrobert.

Another scene from Polygon Adventure Pack rendered with BOCS Shot in Unity 3D.

... and after applying Topaz Clean filter in Topaz Studio.

PolygonAdventurePack01CleanCartDetSharp.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 474K
    PolygonAdventurePack01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 413K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

My 1st real attempt at using Poser for a comic style render.  I had to clean the lines up a little in CPS but not much.

Captain America Line by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • tkdrobert said:

My 1st real attempt at using Poser for a comic style render.  I had to clean the lines up a little in CPS but not much.

Very, very nice work. Much better than my first comic book render, I must say!

The lines look good and the textures came through nicely. The stipling effect on his chin strap and boots comes from the bump map in the texture. Bump maps can yield interesting results, but they can also be unpredictable and create problems. I often experiment with them in the illustration to see if I like what they do, but I often have to remove them to get the smooth-textured results I tend to like.

Keep up the good work!

tkdrobert said:

Very, very nice work. Much better than my first comic book render, I must say!

The lines look good and the textures came through nicely. The stipling effect on his chin strap and boots comes from the bump map in the texture. Bump maps can yield interesting results, but they can also be unpredictable and create problems. I often experiment with them in the illustration to see if I like what they do, but I often have to remove them to get the smooth-textured results I tend to like.

Keep up the good work!

I've cleaned up some of that stipling effect.

• philebusphilebus Posts: 241

Doctor Pitterbill in Poser 11, an untouched real-time render from the Comic Book Preview + Sketch Designer.

It had never occured to me to try and combine those two but this looks great! I'll have to have a go myself - thanks for the tip.

Artini said:

I love the vivid colour in this one - it make the whole image just pop!

edited January 2018

Here's another variation on my last post, starting with the render, then the Topaz Simplify result, and then the Artrage painting (after some further colour and contrast correction in Affinity). I blocked out much of the colour myself on this one, using the filtered result as a guide. Unfortunately, doing things this way does add to the production time somewhat but not by as much as I might have thought.

Experiment02.jpg
    900 x 2362 - 127K
    Post edited by Chohole on

Looks good

Thanks, philebus.

edited January 2018

A couple of examples of rendering of Elijah - https://www.daz3d.com/elijah-7

in Unity 3D using Beautify post effect.

Elijah01cut.jpg
    907 x 1015 - 147K
    Elijah03cut.jpg
    1359 x 1029 - 631K
    Elijah04cut.jpg
    1097 x 1019 - 300K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited January 2018

Another example of rendering in Unity 3D using Edge Sigmoid effect from Camera Filter Pack.

Elijah05cut.jpg
    671 x 989 - 80K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited January 2018
    philebus said:

Here's another variation on my last post, starting with the render, then the Topaz Simplify result, and then the Artrage painting (after some further colour and contrast correction in Affinity). I blocked out much of the colour myself on this one, using the filtered result as a guide. Unfortunately, doing things this way does add to the production time somewhat but not by as much as I might have thought.

I like it, I like it a lot....

In the ArtRage forums there is a thread on how to make photos a paintery look in ArtRage. I gave it a try and I was pleased with the results...

https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?53516-cloner

I gave it a try to a photo I took in Bangor, Maine a few years ago. I did paint in the birds as they were not in the original photo.

The technique is quite simple and quite effective and explained in the ArtRage thread at the link above...

I want to try this technique to a 3D render (when I can find the time)...

Post edited by Chohole on

Artini - enjoying your posts about using Unity3D. Pretty darn cool...

tkdrobert said:

Doctor Aphra (Updated)

Updated with proper arm tattoo that I drew in using PhotoShop.

Very nice, very nice indeed....

Thanks, kenmo.

Thanks Kenmo.

edited January 2018

Playing around with the settings for Visual Style Shaders.  This is with no postwork

Test Luke by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • CrescentCrescent Posts: 319
    edited January 2018

Having more fun with cel shading, mostly DS with a bit of Photoshop.

GalacticNavySm.png
    600 x 600 - 395K
    Post edited by Crescent on
This discussion has been closed.