[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    Parris said:

Right. I'll just address two new things you bring up which I can explain (hopefully easy to understand).

1st: This is not designed to work with Iray drawstyle. Because that drawstyle is essentially the same as a render. You can make it show up though if you want to. Ask me more about that later if you want. OpenGL (either Texture Shaded or Wire Texture Shaded) is faster.

2nd: The background sphere is what is hooked up to Iray for scale via remote control, not IBL Master Control (or ControlSphere which is just a bone). However there is also another type of remote control being imployed here (known as an alias). With IBL Master selected in the Scene tab, navigate to Parameters tab > 3DL Background. You will then see 3DL Sphere Radius which is hooked up to Dome Radius in Iray Render Settings and 3DL Sphere Scale Multiplier which is hooked up to Dome Scale Multiplier. These sliders controls are there on IBL Master Control as a convenience and remain synced with the matching named ones in 3DLEnvSphere's Transforms as well as Iray.

Hope that helps.smiley

Thanks, Parris, this is helpful, with one big caveat:

I am in a bit of fix at this point. Again noting that I installed IBL Master in 4.9.4.122; there wasn't any promo page info that that was definitely contraindicated, but it is. It's more than that IBL Master won't properly work in 4.9.

Going from where I was, IBL Master installed in 4.9, I attempted a straight 3DL render, not implementing IBL Master at all, not using UE2, or any IBL, just a plain vanilla 3DL render with only daz default textures.

What I got was a black silhouette only, and an error msg -3Delight message #42 (Severity 1): P1044: invalid exposure argument(s) . That's never happened before. Checked camera & render lights, both were on auto. Tried again, same result, same error msg.

Removed the installed IBL Master shaderbuilder folders from Studio4, tried again, reopened Studio, this time I got the image, but also the same error msg -  3Delight message #42 (Severity 1): P1044: invalid exposure argument(s). I don't even know what that means, but never saw it before in all these years and thousands of renders, and decided to wasn't good and needed to be addressed.

Started worrying... Decided to remove the rest of the IBL Master components in data, props, shader presets. Uninstalled 4.9, reinstalled 4.9, hoping to get back to where I began before installing IBL Master.

Rendered. Got the image, but also the same error msg. After an uninstall/reinstall of Studio.

I decided then to do a System Restore, including removing the Studio4 folder prior to reinstalling 4.9, as if it was a brand new install. Which did get rid of the error msg, but a lot of fussing to get that done, several hours in backups and saves, etc., and the studio still seems a little wonky. I am beyond paranoid by now, thinking that IBL Master causes some big changes that simply removing the IBL Master component folders does not undo. It's not like some light set that I can uninstall simply. There are changes to the bedrock 3DL renderer or its resources or something.

From your response, I get the idea that 4.10 is the only way left to go, if I want to use IBL Master. Fair enough. My reason for not using 4.10 is Open CL related; as I've said, my laptop can't support the version required by dForce, the big 4.10 feature as far as I know, and I had to wonder if other new features in 4.10 are also tied to that Open CL version. Best apparent vector seems not to go to 4.10 until I'm more current on the hardware side of things.

But having to do a System Restore is a very radical solution to inadvisedly attempting IBL Master in 4.9, and wanting to remove it. Where/what gets modified, needs to be unmodified? Just removing the IBL Master folders that come in the download didn't stop the 3DL error(s), and even an uninstall/reinstall of 4.9 didn't stop them.

Your clarifications, above, are very helpful, but I'm leery of just going with 4.10 and installing IBL Master again, without knowing what changes it will introduce, and how to undo them if I need to.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Navi said:

Here is a test render, with the beach HDRs that were released the same day, too just 6 minutes and 30 seconds in Iray. Very happy with IBL Master, as it makes HDRs much easier to handle (no more multiples test renders just to check the hdr rotation and all), but still, I don't like these very sharp shadows HDRs are casting :/ (although the background and light itself are both very nice) , so I think I'll stick with the good old Sun/Sky mode when I can, you have full control on shadows softness with it (sun disk scale dial).

ps : Special thanks to 3d-GHDesign for the props smiley

These particular beach hdris tend to cast very strong shadows. When I used them I cut the ground shadow strength to like half of the default or even less.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560

...OK not sure if this is related however atfter installing IBL Master, when I selected a scene I recently worked on, it took a long time to open (the Daz programme went into "Not Responding" mode). 

...OK I noticed that in the Surfaces settings, for the Control Sphere and all 6 targets, the properties appear to have Iray rather than 3DL parameters.  I also seem to not be able to get the ambient light to work in 3DL as to keep it from being "white" (which really messed with reflections) I applied just a sky sphere (no lights) from Skies of Economy.  Also when the rendering begins, I get the repetitive error message:

3Delight Message #43 (Severity 1): P1096 unknown coordinate system '3DL Space' passed to 'trace()', using world instead (in shader 'ShaderBuilder/Light/BLMLight' on object shapematerial [object name].

Not sure what that means.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    kyoto kid said:

...OK I noticed that in the Surfaces settings, for the Control Sphere and all 6 targets, the properties appear to have Iray rather than 3DL parameters.  I also seem to not be able to get the ambient light to work in 3DL as to keep it from being "white" (which really messed with reflections) I applied just a sky sphere (no lights) from Skies of Economy.  Also when the rendering begins, I get the repetitive error message:

3Delight Message #43 (Severity 1): P1096 unknown coordinate system '3DL Space' passed to 'trace()', using world instead (in shader 'ShaderBuilder/Light/BLMLight' on object shapematerial [object name].

I noticed that too and changed them to a ubersurface shader. I know there was talk about the size of the HDR(I) if too big would give an error. I don't have  the 'skies of economy' product to know for sure.

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    kyoto kid said:

...OK not sure if this is related however atfter installing IBL Master, when I selected a scene I recently worked on, it took a long time to open (the Daz programme went into "Not Responding" mode). 

I can understand why some folks might worry when they add something new and different into there runtime, that something about it might mess things up. But IBL Master is essentially a figure with some props parented to it and a new light shader. So it doesn't have the ability to alter how Daz Studio loads or damage your installation of Daz Studio, or the 3Delight renderer. I hope that is of some comfort.smiley

kyoto kid said:

...Also when the rendering begins, I get the repetitive error message:

That indicates that a command the light shader for 3delight sends is not being recognized. It an error that normally shows up if you are using a version of Daz Studio that is older than what will work with the 3Delight side of IBL Master. As the store page says "the Minimum supported version of Daz Studio is 4.10.0.113". What version of DS are you using?

edited January 2018
    Liana said:
    kyoto kid said:

I noticed that too and changed them to a ubersurface shader. I know there was talk about the size of the HDR(I) if too big would give an error. I don't have  the 'skies of economy' product to know for sure.

In the same directory as IBL Master, there are three sets of instructions that load as plane props, and one is specific to Boost Lights which should help here. But specifically to what you are reporting, you don't need to change the target bone shaders and it won't help to do so. With IBL Master Control selected in the scene tab, right click Expand > Expand from Selected. This will reveal props parented to each target bone (under LightBoost_base) which are the actual mesh lights. Ones with 3DL in the name use the omAreaLight shader. Ones with Iray in the title use Iray Uber as Emissives.

Post edited by Parris on
    edited January 2018
    Parris said:
    kyoto kid said:

I can understand why some folks might worry when they add something new and different into there runtime, that something about it might mess things up. But IBL Master is essentially a figure with some props parented to it and a new light shader. So it doesn't have the ability to alter how Daz Studio loads or damage your installation of Daz Studio, or the 3Delight renderer. I hope that is of some comfort.smiley

kyoto kid said:

That indicates that a command the light shader for 3delight sends is not being recognized. It an error that normally shows up if you are using a version of Daz Studio that is older than what will work with the 3Delight side of IBL Master. As the store page says "the Minimum supported version of Daz Studio is 4.10.0.113". What version of DS are you using?

...4.9.4.122.  I have not updated to 4.10 as I have heard of far too many bugs with the new release for my comfort, particularly relating to library and runtime setup (I have a custom setup on a different drive than C: and don't direct anything to the C:/Documents folder).

Also still cannot seem to get the CMS to work properly (hasn't done so since the 4.9 beta)  As I mentioned earlier it appears in Task manager with a "running" status as well as in Edit/Preferences with a port number. It is also the PostGre not Valentina version.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    kyoto kid said:
    Parris said:
    kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

...4.9.4.122.  I have not updated to 4.10 as I have heard of far too many bugs with the new release for my comfort, particularly relating to library and runtime setup (I have a custom setup on a different drive than C: and don't direct anything to the C:/Documents folder).

Also still cannot seem to get the CMS to work properly (hasn't done so since the 4.9 beta)  As I mentioned earlier it appears in Task manager with a "running" status as well as in Edit/Preferences with a port number. It is also the PostGre not Valentina version.

Ok, hopefully you are understanding that IBL Master cannot function fully on the 3delight side without DS 4.10. Specifically the error message means that lighting direction will be as unpredictable as it was for UE, because the changes made that allow the IBLM Light to communicate lighting direction properly with the 3Delight Renderer are in 4.10 (not before).

With your concerns about installing 4.10, it seems like installing the Beta 4.10 would be a good way to get IBL Master in a fully working form while leaving your 4.9 install, library and runtime setup unaffected. I too have my libraries on a different drive and have experienced no issues. So it's doable. Outrider42 also recommends this on page 5.

To get IBL Master fully working you should start with getting some form of 4.10 running first. Then maybe address the CMS. But I don't see why you would need that working for IBL Master to work...

edited January 2018

..OK downloading the beta now for experimenting. 

-------

Installed the 4.10 beta reopened the scene (saved it as a copy with "410" as part of the name) Deleted IBL Master Control I was using then re-loaded it. On looking at the setings for both Master Control and Contol Sphere in the surfaces tab, all the parameters appear to have Iray channels not 3DL. Is that correct?

Turned off the ground plane as I already have geometry for that.

Running a test now and no longer getting those errors.

kyoto kid said:

..OK downloading the beta now for experimenting. 

-------

Installed the 4.10 beta reopened the scene (saved it as a copy with "410" as part of the name) Deleted IBL Master Control I was using then re-loaded it. On looking at the setings for both Master Control and Contol Sphere in the surfaces tab, all the parameters appear to have Iray channels not 3DL. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Neither is intended to be visible in the render, so it doesn't matter that they are Iray shaders. Please see my post a few above for instructions regarding Light Boost surface settings. Also, I recommend you get familiar with IBL Master in general before messing with Boost Lights. In 3Delight you can control the brightness of the background sphere by adjusting diffuse and/or ambient on the surface shader, so you many not have an obvious need for Boost Lights off the bat.

kyoto kid said:

Turned off the ground plane as I already have geometry for that.

Running a test now and no longer getting those errors.

Good! We are making progress! Have a happy new year!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,118

I have a couple questions. I haven't purchased it yet, because I still don't quite understand the Iray aspect of this product.

1. Does the HDRI show in the viewport background in Texture Shaded preview, or does the HDRI only show on the small sphere in the viewport? 
    2. What are the green and red thingies on the small sphere in the viewport? What is their purpose? what do they indicate? How do they help?
    edited January 2018

...as to how it exactly interacts with Iray, not sure.

The coloured circles on the sphere are for the aiming Boost Lights

nowefg said:

I am in a bit of fix at this point. Again noting that I installed IBL Master in 4.9.4.122; there wasn't any promo page info that that was definitely contraindicated, but it is. It's more than that IBL Master won't properly work in 4.9.

Sorry, it wasn't my intension to ignore your point about feeling like you hadn't been properly warned about 4.10 being a requirement before you purchased IBL Master. I was going to respond on page 5 of this thread, but then outrider42 recommended that you install the Beta of 4.10. So I thought responding might be a moot point. Did you see his post? That would be a good way to test 4.10 and IBL Master without risk to you 4.9 installation.

Anyway, with the sincere hope that this doesn't frustrate you further, the store page says "Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.10" at the top, and then "The Minimum supported version of Daz Studio is 4.10.0.113" at the bottom under Notes. I don't know where it is said that 4.10 is a recommendation and not a requirement, but I will definitely ask Daz to fix it if anyone can show me where that is. Thank you in advance.

nowefg said:

Going from where I was, IBL Master installed in 4.9, I attempted a straight 3DL render, not implementing IBL Master at all, not using UE2, or any IBL, just a plain vanilla 3DL render with only daz default textures.

What I got was a black silhouette only, and an error msg -3Delight message #42 (Severity 1): P1044: invalid exposure argument(s) .That's never happened before. Checked camera & render lights, both were on auto. Tried again, same result, same error msg.

In attempt to ease your worry, as I mentioned to Kyoto Kid, IBL Master is basically just a figure with some props parented to it and a new light shader. So it can't alter how Daz Studio loads or damage your installation of Daz Studio, or the 3Delight renderer. Therefore it can't create an error message when you haven't loaded it. Without disputing that you have never experienced that error message before, it is likely not related to IBL Master.

Here is a short thread that describes that error and the recommended remedy (also indicating that Severity 1 is pretty slight): What Is Severity 1 P1044 Message

In all your steps you took to get things back to the state before the error, I don't see you mention restarting your computer. So if you didn't, I might guess that doing a system restore achieved the same result (clearing memory and temp files that DS creates, which sometimes get corrupted).

nowefg said:

Your clarifications, above, are very helpful, but I'm leery of just going with 4.10 and installing IBL Master again, without knowing what changes it will introduce, and how to undo them if I need to.

The only changes IBL Master introduces are the files it puts in your library (1of2) and your program installation (2of2). Since we don't have EXE installers anymore, you need to use IM to have it all automatically uninstalled. Since I believe you are installing/uninstalling manually, the file list for your library is here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/48959/file_list and the file list for the IBL Light should be like:

Program Files > DAZ 3D > DAZStudio4 > scripts > support > ShaderBuilder > Light > IBLMLightAttribs.dsa, IBLMLightDef.dsa, IBLMLightParams.dsa, IBLMLightversion.dz

and  Program Files > DAZ 3D > DAZStudio4 > shaders > ShaderBuilder > Light > IBLMLight.sdl

Ok, I hope this eases your way forward ,whatever you choose to do. I'm very sorry that you have experienced so much frustration, as I have been there many a time. But I hope you can appreciate that I could not anticipate what steps you would take.

Hoping 2018 is less frustrating for you. Happy New Year!

barbult said:

I have a couple questions. I haven't purchased it yet, because I still don't quite understand the Iray aspect of this product.

1. Does the HDRI show in the viewport background in Texture Shaded preview, or does the HDRI only show on the small sphere in the viewport? 

Both.

barbult said:
    • What are the green and red thingies on the small sphere in the viewport? What is their purpose? what do they indicate? How do they help?

Those are targets which allow you to position Boost Lights. The video makes it pretty clear I think. The link to the video is on the store page and in the second post of this thread.

Parris said:
    barbult said:

Both.

barbult said:
    • What are the green and red thingies on the small sphere in the viewport? What is their purpose? what do they indicate? How do they help?

Those are targets which allow you to position Boost Lights. The video makes it pretty clear I think. The link to the video is on the store page and in the second post of this thread.

Thanks, I'll go look at the video. It sounds promising.

...looking pretty good so far.  Need to adjust the glossiness and reflectivity on a few surfaces but otherwise looks great.  Using one of the IBLs from the new IBL Skies set as I need a scattered cloud sky to go with the photo backdrop (most of the Skies of Economy ones are too "cloudy").  One thing,I did have to crank up the samples quite a bit (128) as even at 32, surfaces affected by indirect/bounce lighting still looked grainy.

That is an excellent and helpful video. I apologize for overlooking it before and asking questions that you already covered in the video. I just purchased it!
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2018

This is one of the most useful tools in my DS arsenal now (and I'm pretty much strickly an Iray user, tho will be exploring 3DL in the future). Ya done good Parris - thanks a million! :D

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

Should the preview show the lighting from the ILBM Light in 3Delight? I'm not clear on this from the description.

I have created a test scene with no lights apart from IBL Master, loaded the IBL Master control, loadeded a .hdr file onto the base colour of the control sphere and made sure the headlight is switched off in the render settings. When I render in 3Delight the .hdr is lighting the scene, I am getting shadows and I can see how the bright parts of the .hdr are creating lighting effects in the scene. But the preview just shows a plain, flat light with none of the variations I am getting in the render. It also does not show the brghtness of the light. On my first attempt the render was completly washed out, I reduced the intensity of the ILBM Light and this made the render come out OK but the brightness of the preview didn't change.

I've got the preview set to Texture Shaded, I'm using Daz Studio 4.10.0.123 64 bit on Windows 7.

Should the preview show the lighting from the ILBM Light in 3Delight? I'm not clear on this from the description.

I have created a test scene with no lights apart from IBL Master, loaded the IBL Master control, loadeded a .hdr file onto the base colour of the control sphere and made sure the headlight is switched off in the render settings. When I render in 3Delight the .hdr is lighting the scene, I am getting shadows and I can see how the bright parts of the .hdr are creating lighting effects in the scene. But the preview just shows a plain, flat light with none of the variations I am getting in the render. It also does not show the brghtness of the light. On my first attempt the render was completly washed out, I reduced the intensity of the ILBM Light and this made the render come out OK but the brightness of the preview didn't change.

I've got the preview set to Texture Shaded, I'm using Daz Studio 4.10.0.123 64 bit on Windows 7.

If I understand you correctly, you can see the HDR on the preview sphere. Looking at it should help you understand which way the light will shine. But OpenGL (the technology behind Texture Shaded) cannot show you the lighting, shadowing, or match the brightness that you see in the render. Instead it allows you to navigate the scene in realtime, but with less sophistication in imagery than a render. Does that help?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

and if you want a 3DL render preview use the Aux Viewport and swicth on IPR. ;)

Parris said:

If I understand you correctly, you can see the HDR on the preview sphere. Looking at it should help you understand which way the light will shine. But OpenGL (the technology behind Texture Shaded) cannot show you the lighting, shadowing, or match the brightness that you see in the render. Instead it allows you to navigate the scene in realtime, but with less sophistication in imagery than a render. Does that help?

Yes, that does answer the question. Thank you.

It would be nice if the texture shaded preview could show the lighting but that is outside your control. The preview sphere does makes it easy to see how the lighting will come out and the 3Delight IBL light works very well. These features make the product well worth buying, and I haven't tried the Iray features yet. 

Szark said:

What is IPR? And how do I switch it on?

• nowefgnowefg Posts: 557
    Parris said:
    Here is a short thread that describes that error and the recommended remedy (also indicating that Severity 1 is pretty slight): What Is Severity 1 P1044 Message

In all your steps you took to get things back to the state before the error, I don't see you mention restarting your computer. So if you didn't, I might guess that doing a system restore achieved the same result (clearing memory and temp files that DS creates, which sometimes get corrupted).

nowefg said:

The only changes IBL Master introduces are the files it puts in your library (1of2) and your program installation (2of2). Since we don't have EXE installers anymore, you need to use IM to have it all automatically uninstalled. Since I believe you are installing/uninstalling manually, the file list for your library is here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/48959/file_list and the file list for the IBL Light should be like:

Program Files > DAZ 3D > DAZStudio4 > scripts > support > ShaderBuilder > Light > IBLMLightAttribs.dsa, IBLMLightDef.dsa, IBLMLightParams.dsa, IBLMLightversion.dz

and  Program Files > DAZ 3D > DAZStudio4 > shaders > ShaderBuilder > Light > IBLMLight.sdl

Ok, I hope this eases your way forward ,whatever you choose to do. I'm very sorry that you have experienced so much frustration, as I have been there many a time. But I hope you can appreciate that I could not anticipate what steps you would take.

Hoping 2018 is less frustrating for you. Happy New Year!

Thanks, Parris. Yes, a less frustrating new year all round would be wonderful for our world.

No, I didn't think to restart the computer. The issue for me about P1044 was that I've never had that happen; not ever. Coincident with the 4.9/IBL Master issues, it seemed possibly to be connected. When I removed the IBL Master Shaderbuilder entries from DAZStudio4, the plain vanilla non-IBL renders, which had been only silhouettes, showed up properly again. Since that was the first separate change I made between the silhouette and proper image renders, I don't see how there's no connection. But, as you say, clearing things with a restart might have got me there regardless. Didn't think of it. I admit to being way out of my depth.

For clarification, in my comment about promo page version compatibility, I used the word recommended, but should have used compatible, as opposed to "required." When new Studio versions get released, it seems that every product page then lists the newest version, even for things like basic props that have been in the store for years and years, through many version iterations. So I tend not to take that at face value, unless there is some in my face use of the word "required." I've run into problems with that before, with script products in particular.

In any case, I appreciate your suggestions and fielding of my situation with IBL Master. I've got my rig back to working properly, and will think about the 4.10 beta idea.

edited January 2018
    Szark said:

depends on your Workspave layout, found under Window > Workspace > Layout. I think this layout is called Darkside Lite.

3DL progressive render.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 213K
    Post edited by Szark on

or you can just open the Aux Viewport via Window > Panes > Aux Viewport

Szark said:
    Szark said:

depends on your Workspave layout, found under Window > Workspace > Layout. I think this layout is called Darkside Lite.

Thank you for that information.

I haven't got a Darkside workspace but after trying a few layouts I found that my original one (city limits lite) has a show IPR toolbar option that was switched off, and this does show the lighting.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,303

My initial impressions of this so far have been good. I tried out a few of my old 3DL scenes, and so far the quality seems better than with just using the AoA ambient light. I have a couple of queries:

1) Is there anyway to control the softness of the shadows on the light cast by the HDRs? I was using the HDR from iRadience, and the lines of the shadows are so sharp you could use them as a ruler. Any clues on how to soften them would be great.

2) Render times seem to be around 1.5 times slower than with AoA (albeit much faster than UE2), however transmapped hair is still by far the slowest part of that. Any tips on what could speed up transmapped hair?

I doubt this product would be enough to persuade me to dump Iray and return to 3DL. Since I do have a pretty good GPU (1080Ti), then clearly IRay is faster for me than 3DL, even with this light, but at least this will let me look again at 3DL to use in certain circumstances.

Szark said:
    Szark said:

Thank you for that information.

I haven't got a Darkside workspace but after trying a few layouts I found that my original one (city limits lite) has a show IPR toolbar option that was switched off, and this does show the lighting.

yeah it's been a while but at least you found it. :)