[Released] IBL Master - Image Based Lighting control for both renderers & a new IBL for 3Delight

Comments

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    Liana said:

I think it looks great and have it in my cart. :) I do have a few iray hdri products, but mostly grass, woods kind of thing. I like beaches just not motivated enough to have the beach resort one as a freebie when I buy the other. lol I think this might help put a few more IRay HDRIs in my wishlist for now. My biggest issue has always been lighting, so I have high hopes. :)

Agreed. Lighting is everything! smiley

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Any advice/tutorials how to convert skydome textures to HDRI? Is it possible with GIMP?

edited December 2017

Any advice/tutorials how to convert skydome textures to HDRI? Is it possible with GIMP?

You shouldn't need to convert anything, if I'm understanding you right. You can always load a JPEG if you want to. But I don't think there is a good way to modify one to get high dynamic range out of it. So the lighting from it will likely be quite flat.

Hey, if anyone is having trouble finding the product in your library, it's in Props. From the Content Library tab in Daz Studio > My Library > Props > Parris > IBL Master.

Also, if you are unaware, there are tons of great HDRIs on the net. Mjc1016 has this great thread on free ones : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57531/list-of-sites-with-free-hdri

Post edited by Parris on
  • This is a very interesting product but I have to admit I'm not skilled enough yet to really understand how to fully use all the features. It is in my cart though because from what I've seen here on the forum, it's a product to have if you have problems lighting scenes with HDRI light domes. Some of the video was a bit too technical for me and way too brief so I did get a little lost with some of Parris's explanation but that's my own ignorance speaking since I only have a few years into DAZ. Very impressive product it ought to make working with HDRI much easier!

edited December 2017

This is a very interesting product but I have to admit I'm not skilled enough yet to really understand how to fully use all the features. It is in my cart though because from what I've seen here on the forum, it's a product to have if you have problems lighting scenes with HDRI light domes. Some of the video was a bit too technical for me and way too brief so I did get a little lost with some of Parris's explanation but that's my own ignorance speaking since I only have a few years into DAZ. Very impressive product it ought to make working with HDRI much easier!

Sorry for getting too technical. Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm certain I can explain in a way that makes sense. IBL Master's base function is just to make it easy for you to point the light in the direction you want. It should be easy for anyone new to using HDRIs to use and get the value from this. Beginners who use 3delight as the renderer or can't yet afford a high end video card setup will get a whole lot more out of this from the get go.

Post edited by Parris on
    edited December 2017
    Parris said:

You shouldn't need to convert anything, if I'm understanding you right. You can always load a JPEG if you want to. But I don't think there is a good way to modify one to get high dynamic range out of it. So the lighting from it will likely be quite flat.

Hey, if anyone is having trouble finding the product in your library, it's in Props. From the Content Library tab in Daz Studio > My Library > Props > Parris > IBL Master.

Also, if you are unaware, there are tons of great HDRIs on the net. Mjc1016 has this great thread on free ones : https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57531/list-of-sites-with-free-hdri

Thanks Parris! As an example I have these: https://www.daz3d.com/digivault-stardomes, it will be interesting to start experimenting with them. I also have a couple of HDRIs so enough to get me  started:) Will check out the link and go for a HDRI hunt;)

ETA: I saw a thread somewhere (can't find it now) saying you need a 4th channel to hold the lightning information in addition to the rgb channels. So I thought maybe you could somehow add that to my existing 3DLskydome images in an image editor.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    Parris said:
    Geminii23 said:
    Liana said:
    Geminii23 said:

Just grabbed it!  Thanks Parris.  Can't wait to try this out!

Sidenote... Did anyone else find the promotion for this item to be confusing in the store and emails?  It says "For a Limited Time Get Featured HDRI Set for Free." and shows IBL Master txt on that product image.   But that is a completely separate set of products for sale.  It was like "Hey, we are promoting your product... but... not really."  Weird.

I did that is for sure. I thought maybe it was becasue it was 1 am my time when I seen it. LOL I am  totally not interested with the other stuff right now.

I don't think I have ever used any HDRI sets, so not even sure how they work.  But yeah, I only wanted this item for sure and IMHO it was a misleading promotional image to use in the email and on DAZ Store.  You click on Full Details and it just goes to the Holiday sales page.  With all the great images Parris created in this thread to showcase what IBL Master can do, I am surprised that DAZ aren't promoting it better.

FYI - Anyone on the fence about this - did you see the sale price with the combined Loyalty discount once you add to cart?  Grab it quick guys.  Just saying.

Well, IBL Master is all about HDRI, so it should help sell them to a larger audience, and that does look like a gorgeous beach set. In theory, any HDRI product that was designed for Iray comes with presets that load the HDRI onto the Iray Environment dome. So whether you load IBL Master before or after you load an HDRI, IBL Master will pick up the HDRI. And even if an HDRI set comes with it's own dome, you can still load the HDRI manually. Do you guys want a tutorial?

Thank you all for your compliments!!! I'm still nervous about how well this will do. Please pass the word if you can. smiley

I would definitely like a tutorial on using HDRI.  Thanks

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited December 2017

This is a great achievement, especially for 3Delight.

For iray, I got only total black render - nothing is showing up.

Could you possibly post some step by step instructions on how to set up light boost in iray.

Below is a 3Delight render of Clarke with one of Mec4D HDRIs.

Rendering Time: 11 minutes 21.24 seconds (Windows 7, i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM)

Clarke04pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 598K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 2017
    Artini said:

Could you possibly post some step by step instructions on how to set up light boost in iray.

Rendering Time: 11 minutes 21.24 seconds (Windows 7, i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz, 32 GB RAM)

Thank you!

No idea how you would get a black render from Iray. Can you show me a screenshot of Render Settings tab > Environment?

If you look in the same place where you load IBL Master, there are 3 prop planes you can load into the viewport with step by step instructions for everything. One of them is specifically for Boost Lights.

Great to see these HDRIs in 3delight. Thank you for sharing the image and the specs/time as well.

Post edited by Parris on
  • LianaLiana Posts: 1,035
    Parris said:

Well, IBL Master is all about HDRI, so it should help sell them to a larger audience, and that does look like a gorgeous beach set. In theory, any HDRI product that was designed for Iray comes with presets that load the HDRI onto the Iray Environment dome. So whether you load IBL Master before or after you load an HDRI, IBL Master will pick up the HDRI. And even if an HDRI set comes with it's own dome, you can still load the HDRI manually. Do you guys want a tutorial?

Thank you all for your compliments!!! I'm still nervous about how well this will do. Please pass the word if you can. smiley

I forgot to say yes, please to this part. :) I think it will do well. It seems many are excited.

• Parris said:

Sorry for getting too technical. Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm certain I can explain in a way that makes sense. IBL Master's base function is just to make it easy for you to point the light in the direction you want. It should be easy for anyone new to using HDRIs to use and get the value from this. Beginners who use 3delight as the renderer or can't yet afford a high end video card setup will get a whole lot more out of this from the get go.

No worries it seems I have some catching up to do! I use both renderers so having the ability to point light where I want it is a big plus. Thank you for being open to questions!

• fwwilsonjrfwwilsonjr Posts: 5
    edited December 2017

Parris said:

This is a very interesting product but I have to admit I'm not skilled enough yet to really understand how to fully use all the features. It is in my cart though because from what I've seen here on the forum, it's a product to have if you have problems lighting scenes with HDRI light domes. Some of the video was a bit too technical for me and way too brief so I did get a little lost with some of Parris's explanation but that's my own ignorance speaking since I only have a few years into DAZ. Very impressive product it ought to make working with HDRI much easier!

Oops, double post. 

Post edited by fwwilsonjr on

Ok, so how to load an HDRI (I'll start with text basics of how to navigate, just so you have this now):

If you have an HDRI product that came from the Daz store, you shouldn't need to do anything other than double-click the preset to load the HDRI you want.

However, if you want to load an HDR image manually from your harddrive somewhere, then you can either load it in Iray Render Settings or load it anywhere on IBL Master using the browse method.

For Iray: Navigate to Render Settings tab > Environment > Environment Mode and make sure either Dome and Scene or Dome Only are selected. Next click on the image icon to the left end of the Environment Map property and choose Browse... to browse for and select an HDR somewhere on your hard drive.

For 3Delight (or Iray): In the Scene tab, make sure IBL Master Control is selected. Then on the Surfaces tab navigate to IBL Master Control > CtrlSphere > Base Color > image icon > Browse ... to browse for and select an HDR somewhere on your hard drive.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

Will this ‘fix’ 3dl results with other lights, or do you have to use IBL Master lights?

Oso3D said:

Will this ‘fix’ 3dl results with other lights, or do you have to use IBL Master lights?

This fixes the problems experienced with other IBL lights (UberEnvironment, UberEnvironment2, ahEnvironment Light, EnvLight2) as a replacement for them. If you are experiencing problems with other lights (mesh, spot, distant, etc.) I don't know that this will help. What issues are you looking to fix?

Bounce light with ue2

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    Parris said:

Thanks Parris! As an example I have these: https://www.daz3d.com/digivault-stardomes, it will be interesting to start experimenting with them. I also have a couple of HDRIs so enough to get me  started:) Will check out the link and go for a HDRI hunt;)

ETA: I saw a thread somewhere (can't find it now) saying you need a 4th channel to hold the lightning information in addition to the rgb channels. So I thought maybe you could somehow add that to my existing 3DLskydome images in an image editor.

I did that with DigivVault's Stardomes here on my art thread. Love that set! (There are a lot of notes, as I was testing things.)

And I've got IBL Master in my cart too. One of the few things I'm springing for this month, as $$$ are very tight at the moment.

edited December 2017
    Oso3D said:

Bounce light with ue2

Hmmm... so you have a ground plane primitive or other object in the scene that you want bounced light from? If so, sorry IBL Master cannot help fix speed or quality issues for UE2. If you want bounced light from the HDRI and a shadowcatcher ground plane, then IBL Master does that. It also comes with the shadow catcher shader, so you can apply that to anything.

In the future, if all goes well, there could be an IBL Master 2 with additonal innovation as it comes down the pike. However, the next logical step would be to develop physically based surface shaders for 3delight, in which case the bounce would be handled on the surface shader instead of the light shader.

Post edited by Parris on

Congratulations, Chris.  I knew we'd see more uinquely innovative things from you. This really raises the bar.

I don't know that I have the time to go back and relearn 3DL to use this properly, but the iRay features do seem to make it a must buy.

Home run, man.

Thank you Evilded777! I always feel like you've got my back!

If I’m going to add lights or emissive surfaces, which are compatible with ibl?

Llynara said:
    Parris said:

I did that with DigivVault's Stardomes here on my art thread. Love that set! (There are a lot of notes, as I was testing things.)

And I've got IBL Master in my cart too. One of the few things I'm springing for this month, as $$$ are very tight at the moment.

@Llynara Tks! Checking it out now:)

Oso3D said:

If I’m going to add lights or emissive surfaces, which are compatible with ibl?

Any should be compatible.smiley

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 2017

Hi Parris,

I have been trying out some 3delight renders but do not appear to have all the IBLMLight settings as your enclosed instructions suggest. Any ideas?

I am using an iMac, and did a manual install with no problem. There were 3 files as shown in the copy from my account download page.

The first folder contained identical files to the second download of (1 of 2)    ? Not sure why it was there.

The remaining folder (2 of 2) contained some scripts and shaders Daz Studio 4.5;4 private build and public build. ? Not sure where these had to go. I placed them in my script and shaders folders, but they don't appear to belong there.

Any advice would be welcome.

smiley

The Iray functions are all working perfectly.

IBLMLight_Settings.png
    1024 x 1024 - 105K
    IBLMLight.png
    335 x 607 - 35K
    IBL Master downloads.png
    1212 x 491 - 96K
    Post edited by Musicplayer on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142

So ran a few tests and I can't seem to get my set up so my figure looks like she's on the ground.  Any advice of which component to translate to make that happen? 

Also, WTH.... there are two file and both are so small I kept thinking "this can't be it" but it is and all bits seems functional. 

I think there is a little bit of confusion... is there a script to enable the extra lights for what ever environment your in (3DL or iRAY)?  I found by turning them ALL on by hand for 3DL it washed my scene out pretty badly so if there are lighting controls to turn down intensity or what ever.... I know, read the read me..... lol

Hi Parris,

I have been trying out some 3delight renders but do not appear to have all the IBLMLight settings as your enclosed instructions suggest. Any ideas?

I am using an iMac, and did a manual install with no problem. There were 3 files as shown in the copy from my account download page.

The first folder contained identical files to the second download of (1 of 2)    ? Not sure why it was there.

The remaining folder (2 of 2) contained some scripts and shaders Daz Studio 4.5;4 private build and public build. ? Not sure where these had to go. I placed them in my script and shaders folders, but they don't appear to belong there.

Any advice would be welcome.

smiley

The Iray functions are all working perfectly.

Thank you for the details and screeshots. Very helpful. Yes, Daz Studio is clearly not finding the 3DL IBL shader files which are in the package labeled (2 of 2). Daz needs to remove that extra package, I think. Doesn't Daz provide you with a way to have the files installed to the proper directories for your iMac installation of Daz Studio, like the Mac version of Install Manager?

Manually on a PC, if you are using Daz Studio 4.10, there are four files that go in Program Files > DAZ 3D > scripts > support > ShaderBuilder > Light, and one that goes in Program Files > DAZ 3D > DazStudio4 > shaders > ShaderBuilder > Light.

Please let me know if this helps. I will alert Daz if this seems to be a Mac issue.

edited December 2017
    RAMWolff said:

So ran a few tests and I can't seem to get my set up so my figure looks like she's on the ground.  Any advice of which component to translate to make that happen? 

Also, WTH.... there are two file and both are so small I kept thinking "this can't be it" but it is and all bits seems functional. 

I think there is a little bit of confusion... is there a script to enable the extra lights for what ever environment your in (3DL or iRAY)?  I found by turning them ALL on by hand for 3DL it washed my scene out pretty badly so if there are lighting controls to turn down intensity or what ever.... I know, read the read me..... lol

You should move IBL Master Control to get the ground plain shadow where you want it. This is because Iray doesn't really have a functional way to move the ground plain independently of the environment dome. Though I might be able to offer more help if you show me a picture of the viewport, the Render Settings tab, and a render.

Yes, the two install packages you need for this product are tiny downloads.

Why would you turn them all on? Eeek! You don't have to go hunting for the ReadMe though. I've put specific step by step instructions on plane props in the same directory that you load IBL Master from. One of them is specifically devoted to Boost Lights. Just double click to load the instructions and read them in the viewport.

Post edited by Parris on
    edited December 2017

I have forgotten, that just updated Firefox crashed Nvidia driver earlier and of course, after that iray does not work in Daz Studio.

Later after I have started the computer again, iray works as usual.

It is a pity, that NVIDIA mostly care of improving their drivers for some gain of fps in the games,

that the creators could not fixed themselves, instead of improving stability and speed of iray / dForce ;)

Anyhow for comparison, below is an iray render of my previous scene made with GTX 1080

Rendering Time: 2 minutes 32 seconds

CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1080):      2707 iterations, 1.629s init, 147.698s render

Clarke05pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 525K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Parris said:
    Artini said:

Thank you!

No idea how you would get a black render from Iray. Can you show me a screenshot of Render Settings tab > Environment?

If you look in the same place where you load IBL Master, there are 3 prop planes you can load into the viewport with step by step instructions for everything. One of them is specifically for Boost Lights.

Great to see these HDRIs in 3delight. Thank you for sharing the image and the specs/time as well.

Thanks. I have loaded the plane with instructions. How can I remove it from display, after I have read the instructions?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    Parris said:
    RAMWolff said:

You should move IBL Master Control to get the ground plain shadow where you want it. This is because Iray doesn't really have a functional way to move the ground plain independently of the environment dome. Though I might be able to offer more help if you show me a picture of the viewport, the Render Settings tab, and a render.

Yes, the two install packages you need for this product are tiny downloads.

Why would you turn them all on. Eeek! You don't have to go hunting for the ReadMe though. I've put specific step by step instructions on plane props in the same directory that you load IBL Master from. One of them is specifically devoted to Boost Lights. Just double click to load the instructions and read them in the viewport.

Yes sir, sorry sir.  :-)

edited December 2017
    Artini said:
    Parris said:
    Artini said:

Thank you!

Thanks. I have loaded the plane with instructions. How can I remove it from display, after I have read the instructions?

You're welcome. Select the plane in the Scene tab and hit delete on your keyboard.

I really like seeing the Iray to 3delight comparison. Nice job! I would say, for more apples to apples, you should reduce the intensity of the IBLM Light in 3DL. To do this, click the arrow to the left of IBL Master Control in the Scene tab to expand it and show IBLMLight underneath. Then select IBLMLight. Then on the Parameters tab or Lights tab navigate to Light and adjust the Property slider of Intensity or Intensity Multiplier down to something less bright.

Post edited by Parris on